Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2010, 12:18   #31
Senior - BHPian

there are couple of Dhabhas after Padubidri Sonu and Bittu heard they are good! any reviews?
Old 19th March 2010, 12:43   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
there are couple of Dhabhas after Padubidri Sonu and Bittu heard they are good! any reviews?
Had been to Bittu's during my last visit. Food was good (and not excellent) and very cheap. From what I heard, food was excellent earlier, but the original owner sold off the place to someone else. I am a vegetarian (or can I say eggetarian), hence dont know about non-veg food there.

From there went to Pabbas for some great ice creams. I wish Pabbas had a branch in Mumbai.

During my engg days in MIT, there was a place called "Dev's Cart" which was a small shack which used to open only in the evening till late in the night. His Kesto's ( A dish made of egg and other vegetables) used to be excellent.

Last edited by f1fan : 19th March 2010 at 12:48.
Old 19th March 2010, 12:49   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Had been to Bittu's during my last visit. Food was good (and not excellent) and very cheap. From what I heard, food was excellent earlier, but the original owner sold off the place to someone else. I am a vegetarian (or can I say eggetarian), hence dont know about non-veg food there.
Can't be any different considering it is a veg Dhaba...
Old 19th March 2010, 13:28   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Can't be any different considering it is a veg Dhaba...
My bad.
I always thought Dhabba's are famous for non-veg food, hence generalised that Bittu might be serving both.
Old 19th March 2010, 13:53   #35
BHPian

Guys,

New Taj Mahal in Mangalore for hot "undi' brakfast and Kela halva.
Old 19th March 2010, 16:16   #36
BHPian

Udupi/ Kundapur guys, please enlighten if Gampu canteen at Saligrama still exists. This place was famous for kotte kadubu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
Bombay lucky is good only after getting d***k,our gang used to be present over there almost daily at about 2am after the usual rounds .
Has the quality deteriorated? Its been a while since I went to this place, alas have stopped eating chicken.

Last edited by sudhirbhan : 19th March 2010 at 16:20. Reason: .
Old 19th March 2010, 16:24   #37
Senior - BHPian

Also there is new hotel named Suraj international (some 150 meters after Suratkal bustand towards Udupi). Food is good. Its always full i heard. People come from Mangalore to eat here i heard
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:31   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I heard that there is a place called Sizzlers Ranch in Ballalbagh where you get really good American Food. Has anyone tried this place?
Yes have been there, they have good variety of sizzlers and their quantity is also good. Went there on a Sunday noon, there was no place outside, so had to take a seat inside the restaurant and it was a terrible experience. It was really warm the AC was not functioning and the sizzlers all around made the place too smoky and warm. Probably if we get a place outside then its a nice place to spend a evening with friends. Also they serve only lime soda and iced tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
4) Pabba's Ice cream - Best in Mangalore. Comparable to Boomerang @ Coimbatore.

5) Small hotel near udupi krishna math - Best malasa dosa and badam milk in entire south kanara. I forgot the name, but it is exactly opposite to car street. very small and tasty!
Pabbas and Boomerang are totally different, Boomerang has loads of varieties and they are mainly softies played around with the Vanilla as base and various fruits & sauces. I'm a big fan of Boomerang, has been my fav spot since school days

Whilst Pabbas mainly is fruit based proper deserts. we get the real fruit taste and also i feel they use less of fruit sauces etc here.

I reckon you mean Mitra Samajh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirbhan View Post
BaLLi's - a small bhajji joint near Temple Square, Car street. Various deep fried items prepared in fresh oil everyday. Open from 3 PM till stocks last - which is typically till 6 PM.
Gajalee
, Kadri Hills - Tandoori crab. You can choose the victim
Baali, wow its my fav place. Love their biscuit rotis and chilli podi. Usually hit their places on weekdays in the middle of work. Cuz we get these at around 3-4pm. And wash down with a bottle of Zaffa.
Also the Charmuri we get in front of the temple in car street is a great evening snack.

Gajalee is a great place for a evening dinner, nice open garden restaurant with amazing sea food. I was really amazed when were shown the fish/crab to be selected for our dish.
The Butter Pepper Pomfret is a great starter though a bit bland. Also don't miss the Green chilly crab

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirbhan View Post
Has the quality deteriorated? Its been a while since I went to this place, alas have stopped eating chicken.
Yes, somehow I had heard a lot about this place and it wasn't really enjoyable. The Chicken Fry i had last time was not cooked properly and was oozing oil. The only thing i like there now is Parota with Egg curry and a glass of tea

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 22nd March 2010 at 14:36.
Old 22nd March 2010, 15:02   #39

Guys,

Indira Bhawan at Balmatta circle was known for Biscuit ambade. I used to love them. Not sure if they are still the best in Biscuit ambade, any updates ?

Rama Lunch home for authentic Mangalorean food. Many of the items here not on the menu of other restaurants. Again, any other place come up recently similar to this ??

I heard of "Balli's" Podi at carstreet. It seems every hour he prepares new item & all sold hot & fresh. Hope to visit while in Mangalore.
Old 22nd March 2010, 15:49   #40
BHPian

Bombay lucky was never known for good food the only thing going for it was they used shut shop late,I think nowadays they close by 1.30am earlier they used to stay open till 4am and they used to pull the shutters down for a hour or two.
Old 25th March 2010, 02:18   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Guys, Did Shack Point close down entirely or have they moved somewhere else? Their BBQ Chicken used to be awesome.

Shack point has moved from its old place to TC now. Its got a new place above manipal stores.

I guess the place which has been the most consistent over years has been dollops.

Other good places in manipal are Guzzlers below Hotel Ashilesh .
Hotspot at syndicate circle has decent grilled chicken and tikkas.
Basil is good for its italian stuff , awesome pasta .
Old 28th March 2010, 01:01   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Also there is new hotel named Suraj international (some 150 meters after Suratkal bustand towards Udupi). Food is good. Its always full i heard. People come from Mangalore to eat here i heard
yes it is a good place... great food.. probably seats around 60 - 70.. but still is full on weekends...
Old 28th March 2010, 01:22   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
In Mangalore there is a restaurant called Guthu on Falnir road, about 1 Km further from Moti Mahal. My dad was very thrilled with their Mangalore taali.
Guthu is good, old mangalorean style interiors, great food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I may add that Mitra Samaj (in the block near Srikrishna Temple) are the forefathers of the Udupi Restaurants all over the globe.
Mitra Samaj is outstanding in Veg Udupi style food, even basic stuf like idly sambar is fantastic.
Even Diana is great, especially Mushroom curry with Poories, Gadbad icecream,
Has anyone tried Aishwarya in Karwar, very good.
Ofcourse, nobody can dispute supremacy of Shetty Lunch Home (my dear friend Nityanand Shetty owns it), Chicken Ghee roast (full chicken takes one full hour to prepare, & at Rs.200/220 is unbelievably value for money), but I feel his Kane Fish is the best (IMHO, you get the biggest Kane in the whole coast only at Shetty lunch home), or try his prawns masala fry with Sannas, or Anjal naked fry (ask the cashier Annappa for big & fatty slices & he will oblige you),most of you guys may not believe it, but me & my gang became close pals of the owner Nityanad shetty just by driving down to Kundapur regularly just to eat at shetty lunch home, just imagine, drive 8-10 hours frm Bangalore, reach Kundapur, check in to Hotel Sharan, freshen-up, hit Shetty lunch home, spend the next 4-5 hours filling up our bellies, crash in the room, wake up, check out of the room, again hit Shetty lunch home & drive back home, we used to do this atleast once a month to both shetty's & to Junior Kuppana's at Erode

Quote:
yes, it's good, infact very good, but not outstanding like Narayana's or Shetty Lunch home

Last edited by Samurai : 28th March 2010 at 11:41. Reason: Rule#11
Old 28th March 2010, 11:43   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
Ofcourse, nobody can dispute supremacy of Shetty Lunch Home (my dear friend Nityanand Shetty owns it), Chicken Ghee roast (full chicken takes one full hour to prepare, & at Rs.200/220 is unbelievably value for money), but I feel his Kane Fish is the best (IMHO, you get the biggest Kane in the whole coast only at Shetty lunch home), or try his prawns masala fry with Sannas, or Anjal naked fry (ask the cashier Annappa for big & fatty slices & he will oblige you),most of you guys may not believe it, but me & my gang became close pals of the owner Nityanad shetty just by driving down to Kundapur regularly just to eat at shetty lunch home, just imagine, drive 8-10 hours frm Bangalore, reach Kundapur, check in to Hotel Sharan, freshen-up, hit Shetty lunch home, spend the next 4-5 hours filling up our bellies, crash in the room, wake up, check out of the room, again hit Shetty lunch home & drive back home, we used to do this atleast once a month to both shetty's & to Junior Kuppana's at Erode
After this description, I will have to make a visit there, I am just 45 minutes away.
Old 28th March 2010, 12:09   #45
Senior - BHPian

I have been thinking of giving a visit to "Shetty Lunch home" for some time now. its a family restaurant right?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks