Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2010, 14:52   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Hey guys - can u suggest some authentic mangalorean breakfast items and where i can get that? am not a fan of idly/dosa, though I end us eating that for want of choices
Try Parotta Korma, Set Dosa. Actually apart from Idli /Dosa / Vada / Upma, there is not much available in Break Fast
Old 30th June 2010, 00:38   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Boo hoo.. Reminds me of my engineering days at MIT Manipal (1999 - 2003. Any batchmates here in t-bhp? ).
Nope, but I am from 1981 - 84 batch. Hehe.
Old 30th June 2010, 04:04   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Hey guys - can u suggest some authentic mangalorean breakfast items and where i can get that? am not a fan of idly/dosa, though I end us eating that for want of choices
you can head to Taj Mahal for cashew upkari, Biscuit Roti kinda snacks.
You should try the Neer Dosa or Tove Idly at Janatha Deluxe in Ballalbagh.
In case you want to try more kerala style stuff like puttu kadala/egg curry or appam etc there is one hotel near the station, i think its Kairali.
Old 4th August 2010, 23:17   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirbhan View Post
Some places and specialties that I am aware of in Mangalore:

BaLLi's - a small bhajji joint near Temple Square, Car street. Various deep fried items prepared in fresh oil everyday. Open from 3 PM till stocks last - which is typically till 6 PM.
Cellar, Hampankatta (opposite Alukkas) - famous for Chicken Ghee Roast
Bombay lucky, Near Bunder police station - for Biryani and fried chicken lovers. Not a family place
Winegate, Balmatta - Good crab ghee roast and other fish items. Again a takeaway kind of place
Suvarna, Mannagudda - excellent Bangude puLimunchi
Aroma, Deepa Comforts - Squid pepper fry, Pompret tawa fry
Gajalee, Kadri Hills - Tandoori crab. You can choose the victim
  • Cellar (KS Rao Road) is even famous for its 'bangude masala fry'! That used to be a rage in our college those days!
  • Narayana mess at Bunder is THE place for the best fish fry in town!
  • Veg - Janatha Deluxe is undoubtedly the best veg food I've ever had!
  • Then you have Pereira's in Hampankatta for those who love mangalorean catholic style fish curry meals and beef items!
  • Ghee roast at Abhiman (Bunts Hostel) and Maharaja (near Jyothi Talkies, Balmatta) are things to DIE for! Any self-respecting non-vegetarian MUST NOT leave Mangalore without trying this!
  • Night hangouts - Bombay Lucky at Bunder (strictly without females and family!) and Bittu-da-Dhaba at Hejmady between Mulki and Padubidri on the NH-17!
  • Alcohol / Clubbing - Take away - Winegate (Balmatta road) - they offer good discounts on bulk orders
    For all rock lovers - The Liquid Lounge (Balmatta road)
    Manipal - undoubtedly THE BLUE WATERS
    (but DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE!!)
  • Dessert - Ideals (Hampankatta) and Pabbas (Lalbagh MG Road) - try out their Gadbad and Tiramisu! Another Mangalore cult food joint!
    Diana (Udupi) has good 'Gadbad' available as well! (the predecessor of the Ideal gadbad!)
There used to be a kababiya once upon a time near Valencia circle next to Move N' Pick. Wonder if he's still around.
Old 5th August 2010, 00:13   #80
BHPian

Liquid Lounge undoubtedly the best place for rock music, and yea its one of the oldest and first? too i think
Bombay lucky, somehow I didn't like their biryani, for which they are supposedly famous. Nevertheless the egg curry, parota are really good..YUM
Old 5th August 2010, 11:13   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Nope, but I am from 1981 - 84 batch. Hehe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I'm MITian 1997-2001 I.P. I have eaten at all the above places apart from Deva's , Press Cart, Little CHef, Pandey's Paratha Point, Snack Shack!
Oh my senior and super-senior. Namaskar ;-)
Man! Press cart. One of my classmates got jaundice after eating there, and could not write his 5th semester exams!
Bread masala in Little Chef was awesome. And it used to cost 12 Rs (much higher than the regular 7 - 8 Rs in other places).
Old 5th August 2010, 12:19   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
There used to be a Hotel called Big Boss in Manipal. Near MIT on the Parkala road. I used to love the food there.
Old timers of Manipal might know this place.
That was two houses away from where I was staying during my days at MIT. we used to get room service from Big Boss. Incidentally I was staying at the H.V Gadiyar house on the Sarlabettu road, just opposite the patta shop.

Does anyone remember eating at Vikram's ? This used to be our breakfast place and was located just before Big Boss .
Old 5th August 2010, 12:35   #83
Senior - BHPian

Studied in S.R.S and so places around Udupi was frequented when we were let out of our Hostel!!!

Diana: My Favorites for Ice cream and break fast was Diana. Nice place and was crowded when our school at vacation as all students ended up there with parents!! Good ice cream and very friendly waiters.

X Brasserie(Or somthing) Ramakrishna: Loved this place for lunch as they had amazing tandoori chicken. Havent been there for a while so any comments??

Kediyoor: Well this was our usual halt place in udupi. Few advantages were close to bus stand and other places and affordable price.
The food in the basement of kediyoor was good too. The guy who owns the place was friendly and always made it a point to chat with dad if he passed by.
I will always remember the Kalmi Kabab as this was the last non veg item i used to have before getting back to the hostel.

Coming to Mangalore:

Janata delux has good dosas

Taj Mahal: Good veg food and also nice dosas. Has the best chutney i had.

Ideals: I prefer this over Pabbas as i feel they serve better ice cream. I don lik the brownish powder which is used in Pabbas and also the crowd is more for hanging out and too many students. Ideals though have people with the soul intention of EATING ICECREAM. So taste is amazing and i so miss it.

Village: Ambience and food is good here.
Old 5th August 2010, 23:08   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Coming to Mangalore:

Janata delux has good dosas

Taj Mahal: Good veg food and also nice dosas. Has the best chutney i had.

Ideals: I prefer this over Pabbas as i feel they serve better ice cream. I don lik the brownish powder which is used in Pabbas and also the crowd is more for hanging out and too many students. Ideals though have people with the soul intention of EATING ICECREAM. So taste is amazing and i so miss it.

Village: Ambience and food is good here.
Absolutely, Village even though its little off the place, its a nice hangout and really good food.

Taj mahal, somehow i didn't like the new one, the previous hotel in car street was so nice and nostalgic, i kinda miss those benches and old look. Even the quality of food is diminished

Couldn't agree more on Pabbas, its really crowded and its got a kinda stink also inside :(
I usually go when they are closing at 10:30pm types and walk back home relishing the ice-cream.
Old 6th August 2010, 20:01   #85
BHPian

The Village (Yeyyadi, Bondel road - ahead of KPT Junction) is also another lovely place to have a good meal and a drink - fair (but a tad bit expensive according to Kudla standards!) pricing and awesome food!
But as rohanjf stated, it is easy to get noticed - not just by relatives, but by old VIRUS-esque (Virus a.k.a Viru Sahastrabuddhe of 3 Idiots fame!) departmental heads and deans who come only to such places to unwind! :(

Just ahead of the Village is Bon Bon's pastries and cakes. They even market their stuff in major supermarkets all around Mangalore. Trust me, their ICECREAM cakes are zee besst!

P.S. - This one's familiar with most college (and ex-college) students around. How many of you have been to Bhattre's shop (opposite AIR, near circuit house, Kadri) for those cutlets, kasturi, coffee and of course the daily nicotine dose?
Old 7th August 2010, 00:39   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluez View Post
And Pegasus at Yekoor near Fisheries College was happening once upon a time - we used to conduct our batch parties out there. But heard standards have deteriorated of late. Have no idea!
I had been there around the new years time, and it was TERRIBLE. The crowd is also not that great.

Zero degree used to be good, but sadly thats closed down too

Quote:
Just ahead of the Village is Bon Bon's pastries and cakes. They even market their stuff in major supermarkets all around Mangalore. Trust me, their ICECREAM cakes are zee besst!
Oh yea the ice-cream cake in Bon Bon is simply luscious. They have a branch in the small gully at Balmatta circle. The road behind wine gate and Juice junction.
Old 8th August 2010, 16:23   #87
BHPian

Other places which are worth a mention:
  • Diesel Cafe (Balmatta Road) - good italian fare!
  • Guthu (Pailand Plaza, above Jimmy's - the same place where Zero Degree was once) - expensive, but good Mangalorean food - their non-veg thalis and Kori rotti are great! Lovely bamboo decor - has that old city feel to it!
  • Sizzler Ranch (Nehru Avenue Road, off MG Road, Lalbagh) - Mangalore's best sizzler / tex-mex joint!
  • Bharath Mall Food Court (Bharath Mall, opposite KSRTC bus stand, Bejai) - Dont remember the names of the stalls too well - but there was one which used to serve totally VFM non-veg meals and another which served those fried rice meals (chinese fare!). Pretty reasonable! Plus the awesome view of Mangalore from the place makes it a totally pleasurable eating experience!
  • Surabhi (next to Bharath Mall, opposite KSRTC bus stand, Bejai) - good kababs, good biryani. But standards have started to deteriorate as per what my friends say. Nevertheless, worth a try!
Old 9th August 2010, 01:54   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

P.S. - This one's familiar with most college (and ex-college) students around. How many of you have been to Bhattre's shop (opposite AIR, near circuit house, Kadri) for those cutlets, kasturi, coffee and of course the daily nicotine dose?

Big fan of bhattres where all my friends would hang out in the evenings for our daily dose and to decide the plan of action. Tasted only majjige there with the usual lights. Was amazing ambience!
Old 17th August 2010, 22:50   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Other places which are worth a mention:
  • Diesel Cafe (Balmatta Road) - good italian fare!
  • Guthu (Pailand Plaza, above Jimmy's - the same place where Zero Degree was once) - expensive, but good Mangalorean food - their non-veg thalis and Kori rotti are great! Lovely bamboo decor - has that old city feel to it!
  • Sizzler Ranch (Nehru Avenue Road, off MG Road, Lalbagh) - Mangalore's best sizzler / tex-mex joint!
  • Bharath Mall Food Court (Bharath Mall, opposite KSRTC bus stand, Bejai) - Dont remember the names of the stalls too well - but there was one which used to serve totally VFM non-veg meals and another which served those fried rice meals (chinese fare!). Pretty reasonable! Plus the awesome view of Mangalore from the place makes it a totally pleasurable eating experience!
  • Surabhi (next to Bharath Mall, opposite KSRTC bus stand, Bejai) - good kababs, good biryani. But standards have started to deteriorate as per what my friends say. Nevertheless, worth a try!
the food court in Bharat Mall? I felt it was too over priced and terrible food. I have been there twice and both the times it was a real bad experience. The food court in Empire mall is way better

Yes Surabhi is something that we can surely give a miss, the crowd is also not that good plus the quality of food has gone bad, real bad

Guthu is one hot spot to go, a nice ambiance and amazing food. they serve some typical mangalorean food
Old 23rd August 2010, 21:24   #90
Senior - BHPian

Had been to the village this weekedn and i must say i was dissapointed! prawns masala for the tny quantity(4pcs) they charged 280bucks! mutton kadai(1/2) which had 3-4 small pieces costed 200bucks...

Seriously not worth the money!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks