Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2014, 09:47   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: 1950's, 60's and 70's Hindi songs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Excellent thread folks
One of my favorites is the Manna Dey classic "Sur Na Saje" from Basant Bahar, a 1956 film and music by Shankar-Jaikishen. This song comopsed by this duo is so much unlike the music they composed in the subsequent decades
Jaikishan was the more classical of the two. And you can see all the 50s and early 60's being deeply classical. With the advent of Shammi era, that genre slowly started taking back seat. Jaikishan has some fantastic classical compositions in Bhairavi (his favourite raga) and Darbari. (As I gather from reading. I am no classical guy. I just like what I listen!)

Basant Bahar : The whole movie is classical, Radhike Tune Bansari (Beti Bete), Rasik Balma (Chori Chori), Cham-Cham Baje Re Payaliya (Jane Anjane), Jhanak-Jhanak Tori Baje Payalia (Mere Huzoor) etc being some of them. Amrapali deserves a special mention.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd December 2014 at 09:50.
Old 3rd December 2014, 10:00   #47
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Talking of Salil Choudhury, he was a great composer
For example the songs from the movie Madhumati are classics and unforgettable!
Old 7th December 2014, 00:40   #48
Team-BHP Support

Though Shankar Jaikishan is more associated with Rafi and Mukesh there are some beautiful and lively compositions with Kishore as well. New Delhi, Shararat, and Rangoli are some of them. And of course the grand finale: Zindagi Ek Safar from Andaz.

S-J also had some few compositions with Subir-Sen. Manzil wo hi hai.. from Katputhali and the duet from Choti Behen (Mai Rangeela Pyar..) are worth mentioning.

There is one more lyricist who deserves a special mention: Neeraj. His association with SD was fantastic. He had one song with SJ for Mera Naam Joker, where Raj Kapoor had asked to make one which will not fit any genre. And out came : Ae Bhai... The very song for which Manna Dey won the filmfare.

Last edited by ampere : 7th December 2014 at 00:53.
Old 7th December 2014, 01:00   #49
BHPian

Hi everybody.
Great to see more and more members contributing to this thread of "Bhoole Bisre Geet". Ampere a big thanks to you.
Ampere : Majroohs pop song "Raat Shabnami" in Asha's voice as late as late 90s
"Yeh hansta hua karwaan zindagi ka na puccho" I hum it at least once a week.
Anuradha : Saw it decades back and still remember the last scene. L. Naidu
sweeping the floor with morning rays through the window. No words nothing.
JLS: 2/3 months back called a FB friend and his caller tune was vande matram. Suggested that he change it to the song by Lata from Anandmath. Very rousing.
Mallumowgli: Hi. An amazing lullaby from Albela. Pl listen to the whole song. A tear jerker
but superb.

Do Bigha Zameen : Kucchh to nishani..... it moves you to the very core.

( AFAIK it is based on a Hungarian march)

Enjoy the gems. Regards
PS:Ampere : Gautam Rajyadaksha( the ace bollywood portrait photograper ) wrote in 1990s about the 5 most beautiful faces. Naidu was one of them. The others were D. Kapadia, Madhubala, M.Dixit and Rekha. If he had to choose the sixth it would be Nutan.

PPS: JLS: Talking of rousing songs I love "The Spanish Gypsy Dance" by Edmundo Ross and his orchestra and Voulez Vous by Abba. Great.
Old 8th December 2014, 08:01   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
Whenever I think of Hemant Kumar, I visualize Dev Anand, with dreamy eyes, with guitar in hand and wooing Gita Bali with "Yeh raat yeh chaandani phir kahaan", in movie Jaal.
This was being played in today morning's edition of "Bhoole Bisre Geet" in Vivid Bharathi. Made my day!

A correction: I always thought Jaal was SD Burman with Majrooh. Not true. This was Saahir. Esp the yeh Raat song where Hemant solo is way beyond the other versions. (Lata solo and Lata/Hemant duet).

Yesterday while rummaging through old ones, I came across the '72 movie Beimaan. Though the movie gave Shankar-Jaikishan a record 9th filmfare but many were not happy at them being given the award. They group had become fully commericial with the exit of Shailendra ('67) and Jaikishan ('70).

One could see new entrants into the group. Varma Mallik was one. The song "Jai Bolo Beimaan Ki" though not in the same old class, but given these current
songs can be held in way-way higher pedestal. But its fun to listen and blends in nicely with the way Manjor Kumar has enacted it.

@Faustus sir: Another trivia: Do Bhigha Zaameen is the combo of Salil Chowdhary and Shailendra. Sorry to bring it up again. But it always brings a smile to hear Shailendra's compositions. And "Apni Kahani" was also played today!

Last edited by ampere : 8th December 2014 at 08:03.
Old 9th December 2014, 01:19   #51
BHPian

Ampere: Hi. Happy to learn so no need to apologise
One of my all time favorites. At that time had only heard of Kodaikanal!! Going there was beyond my dream

JLS : You mentioned Hemant da singing for the dreamy eyed D.Anand. Amazing longing in this song..

You mentioned Talat. A great song from Tarana. Unfulfilled 1000s of desires.. Talat/Lata.

Enjoy
Old 9th December 2014, 08:02   #52
Team-BHP Support

A few (semi) classicals that always remain on top of my list:

- Maduvan me raadhika (Kohinoor/Shakeel/Naushaad)
- Raadhike tune Bansari Churayi (Beti-Bete/Shailendra/Shankar-Jaikishan/Rafi)
- Pucho Na Kaise Maine Rain Bitayi (Meri Surat Teri Aankhain/Shailendra/SD/Rafi)
- Ankhiya Sang Aankhiya Laage (Bada Admi/??/Chitragupta/Rafi)
- Jhanak Jhanak tori Baaje Payaliya (Mere Huzoor/Shailendra/SJ/Rafi)
- Laga Chunari me Daag (Dil Hi to Hai/??/Roshan/Manna Dey)

Manna Dey deserves a special mention. Almost all his songs are a different league. The is one called Phul Gendhwa Na Maro. Beautifully sung.

Few movies whose all the songs come to mind:
- Basant Bahar (Shankar Jaikishan)
- Baiju Bawra (Naushad)

Last but not least, here is one which some how remains my vintage best from Rani Rupmati.

Last edited by ampere : 9th December 2014 at 08:04.
Old 9th December 2014, 15:26   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Excellent thread folks
One of my favorites is the Manna Dey classic "Sur Na Saje" from Basant Bahar, a 1956 film and music by Shankar-Jaikishen. This song comopsed by this duo is so much unlike the music they composed in the subsequent decades
Ironic isn't it? Singing 'Sur na saje' in the most beautiful classical tune!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Mallumowgli: Hi. An amazing lullaby from Albela. Pl listen to the whole song. A tear jerker but superb.
Thanks. One of my favourites.

The above, the earlier mentioned one in Do bigha zameen and Main gaoon to chup ho ja from Do ankhen barah haath - tops my list of lullabies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Manna Dey deserves a special mention. Almost all his songs are a different league. The is one called Phul Gendhwa Na Maro. Beautifully sung.
Funny picturisation as well - as when the track gets stuck at 'na maro-na maro' when a wandering cobra raises its hood!!

Quote:
Few movies whose all the songs come to mind:
- Basant Bahar (Shankar Jaikishan)
Basant Bahar has Mannada matching his skills with Bhimsen Joshi!!

Quote:
- Baiju Bawra (Naushad)
The classical gem 'Aaj gawat man mero' is my top fav classical movie song - sung by Ustad Amir Khan (unusual for the Ustad to have a fast number like that) and Pt. DV Paluskar (what a genius, a sad loss to classical scene that he died so young)
Old 10th December 2014, 00:27   #54
BHPian

Ampere hi.
I am familiar with Kohinoor, Meri surat teri aankhen and Dil hi to hai. For others
will have to log on to Youtube to refresh my memory. Kohinoor Incidentally Dilip Kumar practiced for a month to play the sitar for this movie. Was one of the few early movies where he did not have a tragic role. Did not see B.Bahar and Rani Roopmati (was restricted to 1 movie in 3 weeks ) so not familiar.

Mallumowgli. Hi. When I read your post in my mail box I thought you were referring to Ram kare aisa ho jaaye from Milan.Did not remember the lullaby that you mentioned.So checked on Youtube.

Rajesh Khanna made a great point in the movie Bawarchi. New songs are like the diwali sparklers( phuljhadis) they burn for a minute whereas the old songs are like the incense sticks (aggarbatis) which burn slowly and even after they burn out the fragrance lasts for a long time.
Regards
Old 10th December 2014, 09:47   #55
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Ironic isn't it? Singing 'Sur na saje' in the most beautiful classical tune!!
I have heard that many singers simply refuse to sing this song (when requested) during stage shows/live performances
Old 11th December 2014, 01:04   #56
Senior - BHPian

I doubt if modern orchestra singers could even get close to the song.

@ampere, puchho na kaise was sung by Manna Dey. Also the song Zanak zanak tori baaje payaliya was sung by Manna da.

Last edited by honeybee : 11th December 2014 at 01:09.
Old 11th December 2014, 07:59   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
@ampere, puchho na kaise was sung by Manna Dey. Also the song Zanak zanak tori baaje payaliya was sung by Manna da.
Sorry. Cut-copy-paste error! Yes it is indeed Manna Dey for both the songs. The movie Meri Surat Teri Ankhein had one song by Rafi: "Nache Man Mora.." But of course the best piece was "Pucho na" (I like both the versions)

Surprisingly Manna Dey even sang for Shammi Kapoor! There is a movie Ujala which had some very nice compositions. This particular one kid song "Suraj Zara. A Paas Aa" was very nice. A non-mainstream movie which I like for its music is Halaku (Aaja ke intezaar me).

Shifting away from Shankar Jaikishan camp, another movie which made deep impact for its music was Chitralekha (Sahir/Roshan). Esp the song "Sansar se bhaagte firte ho".
Old 11th December 2014, 09:39   #58
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the Rafi song from Meri Surat Teri Aankhen, I had almost forgotten it!

Incidentally the role in Meri Surat... was initially offered to Dilip Kumar, who turned it down because the hero would be dark and ugly, according to a rumour.
Old 12th December 2014, 01:18   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Surprisingly Manna Dey even sang for Shammi Kapoor! There is a movie Ujala which had some very nice compositions. This particular one kid song "Suraj Zara. A Paas Aa" was very nice. A non-mainstream movie which I like for its music is Halaku (Aaja ke intezaar me).

Shifting away from Shankar Jaikishan camp, another movie which made deep impact for its music was Chitralekha (Sahir/Roshan). Esp the song "Sansar se bhaagte firte ho".
Ampere hi. Halaku !!! Wow. (I thought this was a song from a different movie. Starting with the alphabet D). Curious to know your age.
Here is a song by Noor Jehan. 1st heard in 1967 and regularly listen to it(after You Tube made it accessible) Written by Faiz Ahmed Faiz.

Rgds
PS: Noor Jahan's song. There is another video where the song is playing in the background with clips from Devdas SRK/A.Rai.
Old 12th December 2014, 01:46   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Ampere hi. Halaku !!! Wow. (I thought this was a song from a different movie. Starting with the alphabet D). Curious to know your age.
!!

Sir I belong to that generation which was at the cusp of TV revolution with DD. And thanks to that, radio was always the first primary source of entertainment rather than TV (Including Cricket Commentary!)

And thanks to this radio habit, I still listen to Vividh Bharati almost every day.

To get back to the main topic: Moving away from Shankar-Jaikishan to the other camp. Another prolific duo: Shakeel Badauni and Naushad. Yesterday Vivid Bharati played some fantastic songs by this combo. And each of them have a different feel.

Kohinoor (Madhuban me Radhika), Aadmi (Aaj Purani Rahon se), Dil Diya Dard Liya (Koi Saagar Dil ko), Leader etc. The song koi sagar dil ko behlata nahi is another personal favourite which beautiful lyrics. Feels like a ghazal but its not.

PS: Halaku was a movie on Changez Khan with Pran playing the lead role! However I always remember it for music by Shankar-Jaikishan.

Last edited by ampere : 12th December 2014 at 01:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks