Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2010, 18:30   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Well, I drove my KA registered vehicle for two years in Mumbai. Drove the vehicle irrespective of day/time. No hassles, once got challaned for 100 bucks for jumping signal too, but KA number was never an issue.

Just check out the map and you can find Royal Palms in Aarey Milk Colony, which is decently priced and nearby to Powai. As everyone has said whether or not you drive, its the commutation which will kill you. If you need more information on this area, do PM me. Checkout their website too, http://www.royalpamlsindia.com

I have not heard very positive reports about royal palms. it is in a very secluded area (if you are talking about the one in Aarey), there is only one narrow road connecting it to WEH and JVLR and that road is chocka block with traffic in teh morning and evening and the security aspect is also not great at night. look at other options if you can.

royal palms real estate value is 1/3 or lesser than surrounding areas, there has to be a reason for that-figure it out!
Old 13th July 2010, 09:56   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
I have not heard very positive reports about royal palms. it is in a very secluded area (if you are talking about the one in Aarey), there is only one narrow road connecting it to WEH and JVLR and that road is chocka block with traffic in teh morning and evening and the security aspect is also not great at night. look at other options if you can.

royal palms real estate value is 1/3 or lesser than surrounding areas, there has to be a reason for that-figure it out!
I would say, its best to ask the people who are staying there instead of going by reports.

Devdath, if you get some time, do visit the area and ask the people there if its good to stay there.
Old 13th July 2010, 13:17   #48
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Coming to posh localities, I m very much a middle class person who is aristocratic only when it comes to cars. For the rest, I prefer things which are unbranded, areas where I can get fresh veggies from a normal street vendor, go to a small old time movie theatre and get my chappals stitched from a footpath cobbler. I am not comfortable living in "US Style" localities where there are only malls and supermarkets to shop, only Cafe Coffee Days to eat and things like that.In fact I can very gladly live without them.
Then it's all the more reason you need to look at Thane. Have a look at Vasanth Vihar and if you don't mind a bit of crowd, Vrindavan society.
You see road side cobblers, people selling veggies on streets, good south indian eat outs. Also 1 - 2 kms away you'll find the malls and supermarkets.
Loads of T-BHP members in Thane as well, including Dronacharya HVKumar.
Old 19th July 2010, 21:44   #49
BHPian

Thank you very much Viraj. This Bramhand sounds like the exact place I have been looking for. I will certainly PM you to trouble you once the dates have been finalised.
Sounds purrffect.. Thanks a million Sir.

Your welcome anytime just PM when ever you planning to visit.

Query No2: I have an old airconditioner from a friend here which is hardly used in Bangalore Is it required these days as well at Mumbai? I was planning to adjust without it till next summer and then buy one if needed. What do you folks think?

In Thane you won't need Air-con in rainy or winters so it's best you buy a new one in Summer

Query No3: Is it advisable to get my Scorpio painted with that underbody paint before I get it there in case corrosion is severe or can I get it done at Mumbai?

There are lot of places you can get it done, it's always better to get it done.
Old 20th July 2010, 21:14   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
I will be relocating to Mumbai by the end of this month(July) and am totally unaware of the place, its nuances, weather, everything. All I know is the approximate location of my office at Mumbai which is either close to or at Hiranandani, Powai.

I have the following questions initially:

1. Is it ok in Mumbai to drive a KA registered vehicle?
2. Which areas would be appropriate to get accommodation close to the place? My range for a 2BHK is around the Bangalore rates(8-9kper month with car parking).
3. Is it easy to travel to this area and from which part of Mumbai?
4. I d prefer to take up accommodation at the outskirts of the city if there are no issues rather than end up staying at a packed and congested place so any tips on that would be useful.
5. What is the advance that is usually asked for by the landlords? Is it negotiable?
6. Which are the areas that I should stay away from? I m currently a bachelor but will most probably get married this year, hence I prefer to take up a 2BHK rather than a 1 BHK and upgrade later. Am I thinking on the right lines?
7. I m used to travelling for an hour using public transport while coming to and going back from office at Bangalore, so I can manage the same. I prefer office cab/public transport to riding or driving in the city daily so would prefer an area which has a bus depot/train terminus etc if possible.

Well this is it for now, but many more questions coming up later...
Hi devdath,

Welcome to Mumbai. Before answering your query let me tell you my office is in Hiranandani Powai and stay at Vashi, Navi Mumbai (23 kms). Everyday I travel thru' this route.
1. Many people have answered this.

2 and 3. For accommodation you should think about Airoli, Navi Mumbai, which is around 10 kms from Hiranandani, Powai. Decent place to stay, 2BHK will be within your budget, you can drive or take a BEST or NMMT AC bus for Powai.

4. Wide road from Airoli to Powai. Two hitchs - one is bit jam near IIT, but whereever you stay (Thane, Mulund, Navi Mumbai, Ghatkopar..) you have to cross this stretch. Road widening work near IIT is almost in the last phase, may be take another couple of months. So long run Airoli is better. Other issue you have to shell out Rs. 30 toll each time you cross Airoli toll naka by car, you can take a monthly pass as well.

5. Rental agreement is for 11 months and ten times of rent as deposit, but always negotiable.

6. I would suggest come and see Airoli and then decide. Lot of Reliance employees and Powai office goers stay there.

7. Airoli again fits your requirements. Well conected to Powai by AC and Non AC buses, bus depot is there. Train station is also there and connected to Thane and Vashi - if some times you want to go to CST or that part of the city.
Old 23rd September 2010, 11:07   #51
BANNED

Hello Everyone,
My date of relocation has been finalised as the 1st of November 2010. A small change in the plan is the location of the client office from where I will need to work most of the time. It is at Turbhe. The complete address is:

D 26, TTC Industrial Area,
Sanpada, Turbhe.
Navi Mumbai 400 703

Since I need not go to my office on a daily basis, I intend to stay areas near this place. I have heard from a few people that this is amongst the better places to stay at Bombay.

Looking forward to your advice suggestions and help.
Old 23rd September 2010, 13:46   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone,
It is at Turbhe. The complete address is:

Sanpada, Turbhe.
Navi Mumbai 400 703
Hi Devdath,

As mentioned earlier Airoli would be the best bet. Easy approach to the Thane belapur road. The Rent would be in the range of 10K for 2BHK flat with 10 months rent as deposit. The place has accessibility to shopping, vegetables in the vicinity.

Other nearby options would be Ghansoli, KoperKhairane or for that matter Vashi & Thane too.
Old 23rd September 2010, 14:06   #53
Senior - BHPian

Vashi is even closer and is far more developed. It is more expensive, but well worth it. I'd pick Vashi over Airoli any day. You could even go further ahead to Nerul, Belapur and Kharghar. But they become progessively further away. The Palm beach road connection however, means that from Kharghar to Turbhe is around half an hour away and is a distance of about 9-12kms depending on which route you take.

Drifter
Old 23rd September 2010, 21:00   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone,
My date of relocation has been finalised as the 1st of November 2010. A small change in the plan is the location of the client office from where I will need to work most of the time. It is at Turbhe. The complete address is:

Sanpada, Turbhe.
Navi Mumbai 400 703

Since I need not go to my office on a daily basis, I intend to stay areas near this place. I have heard from a few people that this is amongst the better places to stay at Bombay.

These people seem to have a very developed sense of humour.

You could stay at Sanpada itself , Nerul, Seawoods & Vashi. These are the closest locations.

Belapur, Kharghar a little further away.

Forget Airoli, Ghansoli etc.

If you do not mind the commute( self drive/bus or a 28 minute direct train ride) then Vasant Vihar, Tulsidham, Brahmand etc in Thane are much better options.

Remember Thane is a city. It has it's own character. Navi Mumbai is a collection of 4kms x 4kms nodes. It is more like a transit camp where some have decided to settle and others remain fluid. The two cannot really be evenly compared.
Old 24th September 2010, 15:36   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Sanpada, Turbhe.
Navi Mumbai 400 703

With this input of info, You have range of choices but then Airoli would be far away. Best bet would be to go in for Nerul (15mins drive), Sanpada (10 mins drive) or even koparkhairne(25 mins drive) should be ok. You could get one bhk or two bhk in these areas in your budget.

Belapur, Khargar, ghansoli would mean atleat 30/35 mins drive in peak hours. I stay at Nerul, so in case you need any help pm me.

Mansi
Old 24th September 2010, 15:47   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

I was born and raised in Mumbai, and till this day have family there, so visit at least once a month. You can trust me- Navi Mumbai is a far better place to live in these days than the old metropolis which is swamped by infrastructure problems and overcrowding the likes of which would horrify any newcomer. If you work in Sanpada, you can choose where to live in the Navi Mumbai suburbs: Vashi (well developed yet crowded and expensive), Belapur (well-planned and pretty), Nerul (I would recommend this- check out flats for rent at AWHO or any other residential complexes). There are less developed areas like Kopar Khairane which would probably provide cheaper accomodation options but power, water, public transport etc. may be iffy. In any case you will be much better off here tha in Powai, where commuting on those God-forsaken roads to the Western suburbs will kill off any love that you may ever feel for Mumbai!
Old 25th September 2010, 10:31   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post
Best bet would be to go in for Nerul (15mins drive), Sanpada (10 mins drive) or even koparkhairne(25 mins drive) should be ok. You could get one bhk or two bhk in these areas in your budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Nerul (I would recommend this- check out flats for rent at AWHO or any other residential complexes).
Thank you very much for your inputs Manaa and Noopster. Looks like Nerul is the choice of most of the recommendations now. I was also told by a few people that Kharghar could be looked into as well

Which of these is better in your opinion? To reiterate, I prefer public transport(AC Buses being my first choice), and prefer to stay near a terminus to be able to get a seat. I m not very much into shopping malls, pubs, and the like. I love to stay in a typical "Indian" locality with street vendors, small hotels, temples and a lot of greenery around me, even if it means a bit of bad roads and a one way walk to the bus stop of, say, 15-20mins daily.

Thank you very much for everyone's genuinely concerned advice.
Old 25th September 2010, 13:22   #58
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
I have heard from a few people that this is amongst the better places to stay at Bombay.
People who live in Airoli feel it's one of the better places to stay in Bombay. People who live in Chembur feel it's one of the better places to stay in Mumbai. People who live in Mulund feel it's one of the better places to stay in Mumbai. People who live in Bandra feel it's one of the better places to stay in Mumbai.

I have lived in quite a few cities in India (though majority in Bombay). Bombay isn't like any of the others. Most suburbs are equally good or bad in a sense that most of them are self sufficient & have most of the stuff you need.

What you prefer would depend on what are you individual likes/dislikes?

So go ahead, chose any place you want. As long as the commute is OK, you should be OK. You will either like or hate Bombay, very few people fall in between.
Old 25th September 2010, 15:21   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Which of these is better in your opinion? To reiterate, I prefer public transport(AC Buses being my first choice), and prefer to stay near a terminus to be able to get a seat. I m not very much into shopping malls, pubs, and the like. I love to stay in a typical "Indian" locality with street vendors, small hotels, temples and a lot of greenery around me, even if it means a bit of bad roads and a one way walk to the bus stop of, say, 15-20mins daily.

Thank you very much for everyone's genuinely concerned advice.
From the address you have provided, I understand that there would be very very limited public transport you could opt for, the place being in a typical industrial area, where you probably would have to walk a bit even after getting off from the busstop. forget Ac buses. From Khargar there is only one option, from belapur there are two options and from nerul also there are two options of AC buses but still you will have to go to the depot or highway which could mean atleast 10/15 mins walk from your home.

I think best place to rent up accomodation would be sanpada, nerul and drive/ride down to your office.

Even the autorickshaws are quite expensive in Navi Mumbai specially to reach the inside areas of MIDC.
Old 25th September 2010, 20:05   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Which of these is better in your opinion?
To be honest, I recommended Nerul assuming that you would be driving up and down from work, which would be a dream (at least compared to your original destination of Powai). Am not a big fan of public transport, though in all honesty Mumbai probably is the best city in that respect. I have seen plenty of AC buses running in Navi Mumbai but am not the right person to give you inputs on that!

But Nerul is a nice enough suburb- you can choose a sector that is about 15 mins walk from the station (if you take the train) and the Panvel-Sion highway (if you take the bus). It has markets, restaurants etc. and still hasn't gone glitzy the way Vashi has with its InOrbit and McDonald's! All the best and do keep us posted.

Most Viewed