Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2022, 13:24   #121
One
BHPian

Re: Relocating to Mumbai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Folks, need some guidance here.
I am relocating from Pune to Mumbai in March - would be moving with my wife and small kid (18 months).

So how do I make decision - say between Kandivili vs Kanjurmarg? Or Powai?

However I now realize that what I am really looking as help from Mumbaikars is more on the lines of ... How to decide which locality to choose.
If you need any help around Powai (including Kanjur Marg) just DM me. Can connect you with reliable brokers as well as take you around personally to give you a lay of land.

If you want to know about commutes/ time etc across Mumbai you can DM as well.

Last edited by One : 10th March 2022 at 13:27.
One is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 13:25   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I now realize that what I am really looking as help from Mumbaikars is more on the lines of ... How to decide which locality to choose.
I think that with the exception of outright slum areas that are very well known and best avoided by someone with your budget, practically every locality in Mumbai has now got gentrified. So you will find nice apartment complexes everywhere, with shops, schools, malls etc. easily accessible.

When I was growing up in the '80s, it was very different: Goregaon West was , Goregaon East you had to be much more selective (which part?), Andheri was all thumbs up, Jogeshwari a complete no-no! That all has changed now. I'm using examples I am familiar with personally but you will find similar analogies all over the city. Newcomers to the megacity underestimate how much the city has changed for the better in the past 30 years because all we see is the traffic, the crowds and the apparent lawlessness (whether actually increased or merely amplified by social media is another discussion).

So I guess what I'm saying is: keep an open mind, hire a good broker (in Mumbai a lot of these are locality-specific), be very clear what you want and you will find a good place in your budget easily!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 13:43   #123
BHPian

Quote:
What I understand is that most of the above requirements may be met by localities that are far away from the center/SoBo. That means Ghatkopar/Powai onwards on central line and Andheri onwards on western line. Or Navi Mumbai. So how do I make decision - say between Kandivili vs Kanjurmarg? Or Powai? Or Navi Mumbai? Or Thane? Or ... etc.
With this budget you can get good 2BHKs in some distant localities such as Kanjurmarg, Mulund. Powai is good as a locality but a little on expensive side for rents. So either you will get a smaller apartment or pay more for a good apartment with all amenities.

I would recommend to avoid western side of Mumbai due to population density (compared to eastern side of Mumbai). Take any modern apartment and it will have good amenities. Apartment Complex will mostly have a garden too within the premises. But newer apartments in Mumbai are around 900 sq ft in carpet for 3BHK and 600 sq ft for 2BHK. So you may have to choose an (repatively) older apartment. One of my office colleagues has taken a 2BHK (600sq ft) in Andheri (W) recently for 52K p.m (furnished and with 1 car parking).

I live in Thane in a gated complex with all amenities (including a large garden) and it takes me 1 hour to reach office in BKC by car to cover 32Kms. This is not possible on western side.

I do not recommend Thane to you because of the traffic at the Toll. So look for something in Kanjur or Mulund. There are very good options in Thane though from apartment size (large carpet) and rent perspective.

Navi Mumbai - will be distant (about 30Kms or so) and you will need to pass through tolls and a single bridge connecting the two cities. So you may waste time in commute, whenever you do travel.

Question: If you aren't required to be at office for more than once a week, why not just stay in Pune? You can plan your visits to Mumbai in advance and not worry about the relocation?

Last edited by sunilch : 10th March 2022 at 13:50.
sunilch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 14:03   #124
BHPian

Vidyavihar is a nice locality with less population density and some good gated apartment complexes. Has good connectivity to BKC, literally 5 minutes via the backroads. You have pheonix mall , a large Dmart store and kohinoor hospital within 2km circle. You will find a decent apartment in your budget.
BLACKRiVAL is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 14:23   #125
BHPian

Hi @alpha1, my 2 cents stay close to BKC, even if it means increasing your budget by some. I request not to go beyond Andheri (East or West), as the traffic is royally messed up, major construction is Andheri to Dahisar and JVLR towards Powai. The amount (money +time + stress) you will spend on commuting will not be worth it.

I saw a 2 BHK in Andheri Near Infinti Mall for around 50K and another on the Juhu Beach for 70k. Some good brokers on social media would be your best bet.

Cheers and welcome to Amchi Mumbai.
neofromcapone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 22:57   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, need some guidance here.
I am relocating from Pune to Mumbai in March - would be moving with my wife and small kid (18 months).

The office would be at Bandra Kurla Complex, but there is no real compulsion to come to office - perhaps once in a while to catch up with colleagues, town-hall, gossip, etc. - I can combine with customer visit so that company pays for such trips.

Now I have been searching online and also visited a few locations/properties (currently staying at service apartment provided by company till March end).

Basic requirements, as spelled out by the decision maker
1) gated community with some play area/garden for kids (instead of them running around the parking lot or the main road outside the colony)
2) not adjacent to slums (almost all colonies we have visited seem to have entrance and boundary sprinkled with slums)
3) 2-BHK with some decent carpet area. Not looking for 1200 sqft kind of carpet area we have at Pune, but do not really prefer the 600 sqft that seems prevalent in Mumbai. Perhaps 800-900?
4) not prone to regular flooding during monsoons
5) monthly rent: up to 50K. Some what flexible

Is the above possible? Or appears to be technically infeasible within Mumbai?
Any localities that can meet the requirement?

What I understand is that most of the above requirements may be met by localities that are far away from the center/SoBo. That means Ghatkopar/Powai onwards on central line and Andheri onwards on western line. Or Navi Mumbai. So how do I make decision - say between Kandivili vs Kanjurmarg? Or Powai? Or Navi Mumbai? Or Thane? Or ... etc.
If I was in your place I would have got a house for rent in Andheri East or West. You can easily get a good 2BHK in your budget and other requirements in a good society with all facilities in Andheri East (Saki Naka, Marol, Sher e Punjab, Nahar Amrit Shakti) or West (4 Bungalows, 7 Bungalows, Yari Road, Adarsh Nagar).

In case you have to travel to office you can easily reach by road. Borivali, Kandivali, Malad - have huge traffic on Western Express Highway which eases out completely once you cross Andheri.
fazayal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 11:22   #127
Senior - BHPian

My flat in Sakinaka ticks all the requirements as asked by you.

Children playground area
Close to BKC - 5.5 kms approx
Not so close to slum area
Within your budget
Carpet area also matches
No flooding in the apartment, however outside area not sure (don't stay there)
Also, Very close to T2 terminal

However it's currently given on rent. But there are others in the apartment who would be willing to give.

Do check Runwal Elina on Google Maps and see if it makes sense for you.
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 14:54   #128
Senior - BHPian

Thread update: thanks everyone for their inputs, helped me do surveying and deciding the place. My experience:
1) Nobroker and "direct owner" by magicbrix etc are far and few - hence it takes time. For a person moving into the city, time is a luxury (company provided accommodation is for limited period and service-apartment/hotel with food etc is not inexpensive. Most of the property are with brokers - so you save time going with them. No broker etc. is good if you have 2-3 months available (perhaps while your rent agreement is going to expire)

2) Weekends are critical. Most people are looking for house on weekends and finalize as soon as they come across something half decent. My advice would be to do surveying and hunting on weekdays so that you have an edge over most people in the game. You also get to experience the traffic situation.
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 08:57   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thread update: thanks everyone for their inputs, helped me do surveying and deciding the place. My experience:
That’s great. Not sure where you finally zero’d in but just for future reference even Bhakti Park in some of the older or not so old buildings could make sense. I think you can get 2BHKs in that ballpark in the slightly older buildings although my information could indeed be outdated. They have a brilliant public park and nice amenities nearabouts and its sort of a gated community.

Access to BKC is absolutely brilliant without the much higher rentals of other areas that are around and about BKC. Traffic to and fro to BKC and consequent travel time is as good as it gets too for the amount it costs.
Old 16th May 2022, 15:51   #130
Senior - BHPian

A friend who relocated to Pune told about this incident which happened during the course of house-hunting:
A property owner informed my friend that the keys would be available next door to have a look. The person next door showed around the property, and when done, asked my friend to pay something for the service rendered. Apparently this practice is followed in Mumbai also as per my friend.

Though we have seen the times and people change in many ways over the years, this is that rare one which did shock me.
Old 16th May 2022, 16:18   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
The person next door showed around the property, and when done, asked my friend to pay something for the service rendered. Apparently this practice is followed in Mumbai also as per my friend.
Not exactly, there can be variations. I have visited houses like that several times in the past. Most of the cases are friendly neighbours or even relatives holding the keys; no impact to the house hunting parties. One time what I have experienced is the neighbours holding the keys got a cut of the brokerage - my previous house was set up like that. The broker was representing me while the neighbour was representing the owner, and was also responsible for taking care of the house (like a caretaker). How much the 1 month brokerage got split between them was between them only.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 13:17   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
A friend who relocated to Pune told about this incident which happened during the course of house-hunting:
A property owner informed my friend that the keys would be available next door to have a look. The person next door showed around the property, and when done, asked my friend to pay something for the service rendered. Apparently this practice is followed in Mumbai also as per my friend.

Though we have seen the times and people change in many ways over the years, this is that rare one which did shock me.
couldn't help laughing, are they asking for baksheesh / chai-pani?
This is the first time I am hearing this, I have shifted a few houses in Pune in 15 years time, and never once had any neighbor asked for anything. Similarly last month was house hunting in Mumbai and in some cases neighbors held the keys
Some showed visible irritation, but nothing upfront in monetary terms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
That’s great. Not sure where you finally zero’d in but just for future reference even Bhakti Park in some of the older or not so old buildings could make sense. I think you can get 2BHKs in that ballpark in the slightly older buildings although my information could indeed be outdated. They have a brilliant public park and nice amenities nearabouts and its sort of a gated community.

Access to BKC is absolutely brilliant without the much higher rentals of other areas that are around and about BKC. Traffic to and fro to BKC and consequent travel time is as good as it gets too for the amount it costs.
Thanks, I have already settled in the "central" suburbs.
Brokers showed buildings (some old some independent kinds) around Chembur, Bhakti Park area so my wife said no.

Last edited by alpha1 : 18th May 2022 at 13:18.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 22:13   #133
Senior - BHPian

Some help/Suggestions Needed

I am taking up a job in Thane and the office is at "I Think Techno Campus". For now. I will be shifting alone till the end of the school year and the family would shift in April/May time frames. For the duration that I am alone, I was looking at Paying Guest kind of accommodations near the office and looks like this is not so prevalent in Mumbai. What are my options, considering I will be alone, I do not want anything fancy nor would I want to spend more on accommodation as I will be shuttling frequently between B'lore and Mumbai.
Old 21st October 2022, 11:19   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post

I am taking up a job in Thane and the office is at "I Think Techno Campus". For now. I will be shifting alone till the end of the school year and the family would shift in April/May time frames. For the duration that I am alone, I was looking at Paying Guest kind of accommodations near the office and looks like this is not so prevalent in Mumbai. What are my options, considering I will be alone, I do not want anything fancy nor would I want to spend more on accommodation as I will be shuttling frequently between B'lore and Mumbai.
Thane is a relatively cheaper City form rental accommodation perspective. So you should simply look for something near-by the office (5-10Kms) as that can help you in office commute daily. Traffic in Thane is not as bad as it is in Bangalore. So look for accommodation on GB Road.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 15:44   #135
BHPian

Hi

For Paying Guest (PG) accommodation you will need to use Social Media - Facebook Groups, Twitter etc.

The online portals for accommodation are mostly used/ maintained by brokers, and they don't find the business value in PG.

I Think Techno Campus is in Kanjurmarg, you may find some PG accommodation in and around Powai due to IIT
all the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks