Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2013, 00:16   #7606
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

What was Mallika Sherawat doing there?

Maxwell innings was the difference between both sides. Brad Hodge was badly missed by the Royals today. And once again Tendulkar overshadows Dravid! Sad.
Old 9th October 2013, 13:36   #7607
Senior - BHPian

Not much of a cricket buff lately but still this CLT20 was a memorable one for me. Not because of cricket but because I had a chance meeting with Wasim Akram and in that meeting we were friends enough to invite him home for dinner to which he kindly obliged.

What amazed me about the gentleman was not his reverse swinging yorkers, nor the amount of wickets he has taken or nor his humility ( yes he is very very humble and behaves just like you and me) but was how he got over his condition of being a Type 1 Diabetic and continued to be on top of his game for another 8 years after being diagnosed.

BTW type 1 diabetes is a different condition than normal or type 2 diabetes and requires a different approach. Its a fine balancing act between the amount of insulin you inject 4-5 times a day, the amount of food intake and the amount of exercise you do.

Wasim did that admirably and continued to be on top of his game besides the setback. He has been a great motivator to me atleast.

Apart from him Alan Wilkins also joined us at home for dinner

The Cricket Thread-20131003_224056.jpg
Old 9th October 2013, 21:05   #7608
Senior - BHPian

Thamizhan Bravo! Fully blinged up!

Photo from FB!
Attached Thumbnails
The Cricket Thread-bravo.jpg  

Old 10th October 2013, 15:57   #7609
Senior - BHPian

Sachin to retire after test number 200:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte...ry/678469.html

Thanks for everything, sir
Old 10th October 2013, 16:01   #7610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Not much of a cricket buff lately but still this CLT20 was a memorable one for me. Not because of cricket but because I had a chance meeting with Wasim Akram and in that meeting we were friends enough to invite him home for dinner to which he kindly obliged.
Good shout deky!
I hope for their sake that you told them of your travels. I know they may have traveled more, but your travels are different

Thanks to Sachin Tendulkar for accompanying my journey from a fifth grader to a middle aged IT majdoor. Just cannot imagine this guy has been playing for the last 25 years. How many of us can do half the things we did then, with such passion.
Hats off sir!

Last edited by selfdrive : 10th October 2013 at 16:04.
Old 13th October 2013, 17:12   #7611
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Bowlers usually get better with experience but then there is Ishant Sharma! I really do not understand why he's called the spearhead of the bowling attack.

Even if you ask Dhoni when will our bowlers improve their death bowling, even he wouldn't have an asnwer!
Old 13th October 2013, 17:17   #7612
Team-BHP Support

Ishant is not a limited over bowler at all. His stock length is perfect for the batsman looking to go after him.
Old 16th October 2013, 23:11   #7613
PPS
Senior - BHPian

This Virat Kohli is something special, he is well oncourse to becoming a 'Legend' provided his temperament remains the same if not get better! The way he was batting today was as if somebody told him we had to chase down 460!

In other news, Ajit Agarkar has retired. I thought he had already retired considering he hasn't been in the news for a very long time!
Remember, he held the quickest to 50 ODI wickets record in those days. And he also managed a 100 at Lord's something the great Tendulkar couldn't achieve.
Old 16th October 2013, 23:27   #7614
Team-BHP Support

As a friend said on FB - I think Agakar just forgot announcing his retirement till the Tendulkar thing reminded him
Old 17th October 2013, 10:47   #7615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Remember, he held the quickest to 50 ODI wickets record in those days. And he also managed a 100 at Lord's something the great Tendulkar couldn't achieve.
+

I think he still holds the record of fastest 50 in an ODI by an Indian
Old 17th October 2013, 12:55   #7616
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I think he still holds the record of fastest 50 in an ODI by an Indian
True in the case of an Indian, but Mendis had broken that record.

The way we are producing mediocre bowlers, Agarkar's records should stand for a considerable amount of time!
Old 17th October 2013, 12:58   #7617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True in the case of an Indian, but Mendis had broken that record.
What I meant is fastest 50 runs in an ODI
Old 17th October 2013, 13:04   #7618
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Damn, just googled it & that is indeed true! I wasn't knowing this. So he was the invisible all-rounder in our team all these years!!

Also its difficult to believe he got close to 300 ODI wickets! He was quite under-rated & never got the recognition he deserved.
Old 17th October 2013, 15:36   #7619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Damn, just googled it & that is indeed true! I wasn't knowing this. So he was the invisible all-rounder in our team all these years!!
He also holds the record for 5 consecutive ducks in a row in a series against Australia, 4 of the ducks were from the first ball he faced.
After the series, He was offered Rs 5 crore for posing with 5 duck/ducklings, which he declined.
Old 18th October 2013, 15:24   #7620
BHPian

Quote:
Bowlers usually get better with experience but then there is Ishant Sharma! I really do not understand why he's called the spearhead of the bowling attack.

Even if you ask Dhoni when will our bowlers improve their death bowling, even he wouldn't have an asnwer!
I really don't understand how a bowler like him has survived 51 test matches. The last good I remember about him was in Australia half a decade ago.

He's playing like a player on 'quota' where performance isn't the criteria. He comes, gets plonked for runs, gets a tailender out and stares at the tail-ender as if he's bowled like Steyn. He doesn't contribute with the bat or in the field to justify his constant selection.

If selectors can show the door to a senior yet proven performer like Zaheer I wonder why they let Ishant get away time & again?

He's played for 6 years and now is the time where he goes back to Ranji cricket and make improvements to earn a spot.

This might be odd but whenever Ishant comes to bowl in ODI's or tests I personally don't expect him to take wickets.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks