Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2013, 21:19   #7681
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Finally bowlers having their say. Enjoyed this test match more than the India- Aus ODI series. Shane Shillingford sure looks good but have a feeling he's going to be less effective and end up like another Ajanta Mendis. Batsmen will soon find a way to attack him but right now he looks good.

I'm glad Rohit Sharma performed. At least for the South Africa tests Kohli can bat at four with Sharma at 5 and Dhoni at 6.

Impressed with how Shami performed. Too early to say anything though cause for the past one decade we've had impressive debut series from fast bowlers and then they break down or simply become ineffective. The only positive is the message sent to Ishant. Perform or perish.
Old 12th November 2013, 20:51   #7682
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Ishant Sharma & Vinay Kumar dropped for ODIs against the Windies! Justice at last!
The Windies batsman shed a tear on hearing this! Replacements are Dhawal Kulkarni & Mohit Sharma.
Old 13th November 2013, 06:03   #7683
Senior - BHPian

Have hooked up my tickets to Wankede for Sachin's last.. never watched a test there before. Hope he crosses 16000 test runs. Watching the 199th here at the Eden gardens was special.. Sachin chants for the last time!

Will not be going for all 5 days though! Got a couple of spare day tickets if anyone's interested, you can PM me.

Last edited by Hatari : 13th November 2013 at 06:04.
Old 14th November 2013, 17:20   #7684
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
I find the non-selection of Zaheer baffling. Nothing prepares you for a major series unlike first hand international experience and playing against WI would have been a warm up before the South Africa series where he's really required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
I think this is right thing which the selectors have done. On flat turning pitches how many overs will be bowl anyways! And he hasn't played enough domestic games so let him prove his fitness first. He can always be given a chance in the one-dayers later on against the WI. I think they are saving him for the SA series.

He's played enough International games already, the domestic games if anything will be more challenging as he will find it difficult to motivate himself against lesser batsman & facing empty crowds!
Looks like Zaheer is no longer a part of BCCI plans.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/co...ry/688511.html
Old 14th November 2013, 17:42   #7685
Team-BHP Support

Thankfully, Bhajji is out too. I was worried that his form in the Ranji trophy may bring him back in the reckoning, though it still cannot be totally ruled out.

Do not agree with Raina in Grade A, and Pujara in B though.
Old 14th November 2013, 18:01   #7686
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Do not agree with Raina in Grade A, and Pujara in B though.
What is Wriddhiman Saha doing in Grade C ? Don't remember when last he played for India & there already is Dinesh Kartik in the list!
And surely Ishant Sharma deserves a demotion from Grade B to Grade C.
With Zaheer, Sehwag & Harbhajan ignored, the writing is on the wall! And surprised to see Tendulkar still in the list!
Old 14th November 2013, 18:08   #7687
BHPian

Quote:
What is Wriddhiman Saha doing in Grade C ? Don't remember when last he played for India & there already is Dinesh Kartik in the list!
And surely Ishant Sharma deserves a demotion from Grade B to Grade C.
With Zaheer, Sehwag & Harbhajan ignored, the writing is on the wall! And surprised to see Tendulkar still in the list!
Ishant Sharma deserves a grade F

I don't think Sehwag can make it back in the middle order unless we collapse badly in the future series. Pujara, Kohli, Rohit Sharma with Rahane waiting in the wings, he should focus on opening the innings. Having said that it would be very difficult to displace either Dhawan or Vijay.

What really surprises me to this day is how arrogant Gambhir had become before he was eventually dropped. Glad he's out.

Also I think the selection committee led by Patil should be applauded for making all the right moves.
Old 14th November 2013, 18:15   #7688
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Ishant Sharma & Vinay Kumar dropped for ODIs against the Windies! Justice at last!
The Windies batsman shed a tear on hearing this! Replacements are Dhawal Kulkarni & Mohit Sharma.
The joy was shortlived. Sir Vinay is back.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-...ry/688495.html
Old 14th November 2013, 20:41   #7689
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
The joy was shortlived. Sir Vinay is back.
Oh damn! Just shows the lack of options in our country when it comes to medium pacers. First you drop someone for lack of performance & then get him back in the squad because the replacement injured himself!

And regarding Raina being promoted to Grade A, its just the Chennai Super Kings/ Srinivasan effect. Just look at his performances in past couple of months, he has lost some of his touch. He struggled against the short ball on our very own home pitches & he is rewarded with a promotion. Lucky him! Time to upgrade from a Porsche BoxterS to a Lambo or a Ferrari sometime next year!
Old 22nd November 2013, 10:25   #7690
Team-BHP Support

So, who all are Ashes fans ? It's my fav !

Again, a fantastic beginning to the series
Old 22nd November 2013, 10:40   #7691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, who all are Ashes fans ? It's my fav ! Again, a fantastic beginning to the series
Ditto! Yesterday, Aus had egg on their faces with Broad taking a 5-fer, and today it's England's turn

What time are the highlights shown, and on which channel?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 22nd November 2013, 10:46   #7692
Team-BHP Support

Start Sports 3, I think. 10 pm types.
Old 22nd November 2013, 14:49   #7693
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Ditto! Yesterday, Aus had egg on their faces with Broad taking a 5-fer, and today it's England's turn

What time are the highlights shown, and on which channel?

Cheers,
Vikram
England have always been slow starters when they travel. They usually don't do will in the first test of an away series. I expect them to be in a different gear altogether from the second test onwards.

Australia needs to make sure they win this one. They have not been able to convert many tests to wins where they had an advantage in recent times. The last Ashes and the series against South Africa comes to mind immediately. And some major rain is predicted on the fourth day of this ongoing test, so all the more reason for them to pull up their socks.

One thing that I have noticed about Broad is, the more you rile him up, the better he performs. Not a very likable guy on the field, but he's a tough cricketer.
Old 25th November 2013, 00:33   #7694
BHPian

Quote:
So, who all are Ashes fans ? It's my fav !

Again, a fantastic beginning to the series
Ashes is the best cricket in my opinion. It beats rest all the cricketing rivalry. Just love the conditions they play in.
Old 25th November 2013, 06:53   #7695
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if its been posted before, but this is a must given what happened eleven days back:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks