Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2015, 12:12   #8386
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Playing No-hit instead of Pujara in a test match and Bhajji instead of any young bowler deserves a loss IMO.
This perhaps could be Bhajji's farewell series as well!
I'm not a fan of this 5 bowler theory, I think we should stick to the tried & tested 4 bowler theory. 5th bowler is always underbowled & the extra batsman in the 1st Test may not have won the game for us but its necessary as at the moment we don't have a solid consistent batting lineup.
Old 16th August 2015, 13:57   #8387
BHPian

Quote:
Somewhere, I am happy that we lost this.

Playing No-hit instead of Pujara in a test match and Bhajji instead of any young bowler deserves a loss IMO.
Agree partially. Pujara is an automatic selection in the side today, even before Kohli perhaps. And he's recently played a county season for Yorkshire and scored big there as well. So no question on ability here. Another huge player we missed was Murali Vijay. And yeah, both are great slip fielders as well. Playing no-hit in search of quick runs still did make sense, but him at number three in a five batter lineup away from home is an absolute joke!! Number 5-6, maybe...
I mean, just imagine Pujara and Vijay in the side instead of the flopping Rohit and hit-or-miss KL Rahul. They would've worn out the attack, batted all afternoon, stitched a slow but healthy partnership, and probably one would've got it out with the target well near. Perfect situation for the skipper to come in and play his shots, and finish it all off. And an important win on an auspicious day. Perfect!!
But your 'young bowler' theory didn't make as much sense. Which young bowler did you think of when you wrote this? Thing is, there isn't any young capable spinner at the moment who could have fit into that role. Most suited man was Ojha, but he's facing scrutiny with his action. Jadeja is out of form, Karn would do worse than Bhajji, Akshar isn't test level yet, neither are a lot of young IPL talents. Mishra is already in the side. There was this guy Rasool last year, but he hasn't been heard of too much this season.
Plus bhajji is handy with the bat, and has lots of experience in away conditions, which this team overall is lacking. So he fit almost perfectly. And though he didn't get too many wickets, he bowled decently. Another match, and he'll get back into his groove. At least won't do the team harm like Rohit.

Last edited by mukul32 : 16th August 2015 at 14:02.
Old 16th August 2015, 14:02   #8388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Somewhere, I am happy that we lost this.

Why is BK, the best bowler we have is sitting in reserves is beyond me. Pujara is classic test Match material and these idiotic selections are screwing with both their futures.

Btw, I have boycotted watching Indian matches since long and I m so glad the decision will remain unaffected till team selections and stupid politics isn't stopped.

Also, moron Bcci should see how their stand on Drs is always hitting Indian team the most.
Old 16th August 2015, 14:03   #8389
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
Agree partially. Pujara is an automatic selection in the side today, even before Kohli perhaps.
How? He has failed in the last 2 overseas series he played, while Kohli has failed only in one of those 2. Rahane and Vijay failed in neither of the two.

Quote:
And he's recently played a county season for Yorkshire and scored big there as well.
I think he had 1 100.
Old 16th August 2015, 14:10   #8390
Team-BHP Support

There have got to be better spinners than Bhajji. When was the last time he played well in tests, or for that matter in domestic cricket in the longer format ?

Why not try the likes of Jalaj Saxena as a spin all rounder. Or the young ones like Karn Sharma and Chahal ? Ojha is back after his action remodelling and has been doing well, I think.

Harbhajan is the past, best we look forward and nurture other bowlers.
Old 16th August 2015, 18:03   #8391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
How? He has failed in the last 2 overseas series he played, while Kohli has failed only in one of those 2. Rahane and Vijay failed in neither of the two.

I think he had 1 100.
The two series were in Australia and England, with Anderson and Johnson steaming in. Here the conditions are much more suitable for Indian batting, with dry, turning tracks decent to bat on. And the Lankan pacers didn't look like they could shake up someone like Pujara or Vijay on their own. And the failures you mentioned were still 20s or 30s in most cases, with a lot of balls played out. He might have failed, but he showed grit. Not like our hitman, who flicks and cuts some risky shots around, and then goes for expansive drives or lofted shots and gives it away. Alright, the 50 he got in the final Australia test was very good, but in most innings, especially in Bangladesh and here, the way he got out was simply terrible.
And I totally agree we need to really look for a replacement for Bhajji now, but that doesn't mean we have to hurry him out of the side. Yes, if he doesn't perform in one or two more matches, his place will surely be lost.
Rather, one thing we seriously need to look for, is a young keeper who can even play as a batsman. And given the depth of batting talent in our country, it shouldn't be too hard a job. Don't understand what's all the liking about Saha. He keeps extremely tidily usually (did drop an easy chance the other day), but has constantly failed with the bat. Plus he's over 30 now. Not ideal for number 6 in the long run. Okay, if he fails with the team in a strong position, they can still carry him for his keeping. But in a five bowler side with the team in trouble, his role becomes vital in the lower order. And only once in so many chances yet, has he done some justice to it.
Old 16th August 2015, 20:37   #8392
Team-BHP Support

And while all of us armchair critics discuss there, the "wise" men who matter have chosen to add another player to the team for the second test.... Stuart Binny

Old 16th August 2015, 20:43   #8393
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I hope we don't give away the series as a goodwill gesture for Sanga
Shocked that we couldn't chase 176 for a win
Old 17th August 2015, 17:19   #8394
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I hope we don't give away the series as a goodwill gesture for Sanga
Shocked that we couldn't chase 176 for a win
This is exactly what is going to happen, just like we handed them over the previous T20 WC final on a platter.

On topic, I just can't believe that a player like Pujara cannot make it to this shambles of a side.

Last edited by Oxy : 17th August 2015 at 17:21.
Old 17th August 2015, 18:23   #8395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And while all of us armchair critics discuss there, the "wise" men who matter have chosen to add another player to the team for the second test.... Stuart Binny

Please don't make fun of the 'Only' genuine all-rounder we have produced since Kapil Dev
Old 17th August 2015, 19:06   #8396
BHPian

Quote:

Oh! well, well! That gets interesting! So now we have a very talented and in-form young side, with Rohit, Aaron, Saha, and now Binny! So what to expect now, a 300 stand for the 6th wicket next game? Double century for Saha? Another six-for for Binny? One-day victory? Well, when Kohli is captain, the word 'one-day' can never be ignored!!
Old 17th August 2015, 20:22   #8397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I mean, just imagine Pujara and Vijay in the side instead of the flopping Rohit and hit-or-miss KL Rahul.
KL Rahul made is debut 8 months back and has played just 3 tests with highest of 110 in Australia. He scored a hundred in just concluded Ranji finals. Now he is declared hit or miss
Old 17th August 2015, 21:25   #8398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
KL Rahul made is debut 8 months back and has played just 3 tests with highest of 110 in Australia. He scored a hundred in just concluded Ranji finals. Now he is declared hit or miss
Imo if Vijay gets fit they should slot Rahul at 4 and Pujara at 3. Both of them deserves many chances rather than the ever flop pseudo talented Nohit.
Old 17th August 2015, 21:31   #8399
Team-BHP Support

Rahul's been an opener all his life, so I don't think we should tinker with that. Anyways, Dhawan is out for the series so if Vijay is fit that'll be a straight swap.

I don't think Kohli & Shastri would admit their mistake of playing No-hit instead of Pujara so soon so talent will definitely get another chance.
Old 17th August 2015, 22:26   #8400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Yes, but why I said it is, apart from that superb hundred, he has no decent score in internationals to show. And I didn't permanently categorize him, or doubt his ability. In fact I always said to people that he feels a lot like another Rahane due to his solidity. I do totally agree he is a very exciting prospect for the test side.
What I said was in context of the current picture. Right now he is hit-or-miss enough. The only time he got going, he scored a gritty ton in Australia. And when he didn't, he scored just 32 in rest of the five innings combined. And got out easily, not always against complete corkers. And didn't do very well in the IPL either (though that's not a platform to judge one's test match ability).
Though, I also feel they should not just relegate him to the reserve opener's role, and only carry him everywhere as a substitute to Dhawan or Vijay, but also try him more in the middle order to keep him in the XI.
(Not that the management would do that. Because there's only one uncertain spot in the middle order, and if Rahul or someone else solidifies his position in the lineup, it could virtually mean an indefinite halt to Rohit's test career.)
But on his side, he has the technique, is just 23 years old, and best part - can keep wickets! Now, our seam bowlers aren't exactly Johnsons or Andersons. So if he can take in the ball well he could be an occasional replacement for Saha. I did have a hunch earlier that he must be the reason they didn't include a reserve keeper in the side.

PS: Now I hope they're not considering Uthappa for the test keeper's role in the future as well. He is NOT a keeper-batsman, and shouldn't be tried and made into one. And good as he is, the current batting lineup is better still.

Most Viewed