Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2011, 10:17   #6316
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Somebody please go and fix up a match of Indians with Netherlands or Bangladesh or Kenya so that Tendulkar can get his darned 100th century and get over with it.

The kind of media attention this is getting, sheesh.
Old 25th November 2011, 10:21   #6317
Senior - BHPian

Now for the next 24 hours, all the news channels will have just one thing to talk about. Unless somebody goes and slaps another politician of a rank even higher than Sharad Pawar. Or maybe not even then.
Old 25th November 2011, 10:34   #6318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
The kind of media attention this is getting, sheesh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Now for the next 24 hours, all the news channels will have just one thing to talk about. Unless somebody goes and slaps another politician of a rank even higher than Sharad Pawar. Or maybe not even then.
Today morning, before the start of the match, Opened cricinfo,NDTV (cricket section) and TOI(cricket section) on my PC...it was only filled with expectations of a 100th 100...not a single report on the wall reaching 13k runs.
Very unfortunate. I don't like the present news media in our country.

On another note..I'll be happy to see sachin getting his 100th 100 in Australia (That will be a knockout punch for the boxing day test ).
Atleast people won't say that it was gifted by the pitch.
I want to see that guy Ponting's face when he does that.
Old 25th November 2011, 10:44   #6319
BHPian

Quote:
On another note..I'll be happy to see sachin getting his 100th 100 in Australia (That will be a knockout punch for the boxing day test ).
Atleast people won't say that it was gifted by the pitch.
I want to see that guy Ponting's face when he does that.

Can't agree more to this !
But still I want the century to happen today only. Too much of media attention and unnecessary pressure on master blaster
Old 25th November 2011, 11:41   #6320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Today morning, before the start of the match, Opened cricinfo,NDTV (cricket section) and TOI(cricket section) on my PC...it was only filled with expectations of a 100th 100...not a single report on the wall reaching 13k runs.
Very unfortunate. I don't like the present news media in our country.
Er, there was more excitement regarding 100th 100 coz it hasnt been done before (in international cricket). 13k mark has been breached (even 14k and 15k as well so understandably it is not so exciting anymore).

People get more excited when something is done for first time. There is more to talk about it. Would it be done/not done etc. What is wrong in that? We all know who made the first light bulb. Who was second person to do that? Who talks about him/her?

You are wrong about no reports on Wall reaching 13k in any case. In many papers in Karnataka its on front page. And it was covered on TV new as well.
Old 25th November 2011, 11:57   #6321
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Er, there was more excitement regarding 100th 100 coz it hasnt been done before (in international cricket). 13k mark has been breached (even 14k and 15k as well so understandably it is not so exciting anymore).

People get more excited when something is done for first time. There is more to talk about it. Would it be done/not done etc. What is wrong in that? We all know who made the first light bulb. Who was second person to do that? Who talks about him/her?

You are wrong about no reports on Wall reaching 13k in any case. In many papers in Karnataka its on front page. And it was covered on TV new as well.
That said, I think there is much too much hype around his 100th ton. They should give it a rest.

I know, it's a phenomenal achievement, and a record that won't be broken anytime soon, but the poor man has been trying since March. You can see that there is a load of pressure on him, and even if he tries to concentrate and phase his mind out of the pressure, he is troubled by the hype created by news channels, news papers, and even the banners and posters in the spectator-stands.

Treat it as 'just another century', and he will get it before you know it!

Today, it was sad to see him walking back to the pavilion, falling a few runs short of the landmark. But I'd like to see him score the 100th ton in Australia. It would feel even more special than a home-hundred.
Old 25th November 2011, 12:17   #6322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I can't agree more...Infact I had written the same thing on cricinfo during the last test. There is always an excitement about something which happens for the first time.
In 3idiots movie(IIRC) virus asks who was second to step on the moon...very similar to what you mentioned.
THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.
I'm also a big fan of Sachin and his achievements. I don't want to make this a sachin Vs dravid debate...I only expressed that dravid rarely gets his due of credit

Quote:
I'm not arguing, but I have mentioned clearly what all websites I saw.
(the generalised comment about the newsmedia of mine came not from just cricket...we'll not discuss that here)
Karnataka papers will have this more so because Dravid is a Bangalorean(don't say he is from nagpur )
Again, I only expressed that dravid rarely gets his due of credit.
Old 25th November 2011, 12:30   #6323
BANNED

Quote:
Over 15 years I have seen that every other day there is an article somewhere saying that Dravid doesn't get enough credit.

That is sort of like saying "This is the most popular secret place".

Also every time Dravid gets out, the next day the Cricinfo article has one of these lines describing his dismissal.
- The best ball of the match
- Unplayable delivery
- Jaffa
- Peach of a delivery
- snorter
Quote:
Er, there was more excitement regarding 100th 100 coz it hasnt been done before (in international cricket). on TV new as well.
Hasn't been done before because no one else has played so many international matches.
These longevity records (highest aggregate, highest wickets, highest 100's etc) mostly prove very little other than longevity

Last edited by carboy : 25th November 2011 at 12:51. Reason: Post merged
Old 25th November 2011, 12:32   #6324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I'm also a big fan of Sachin and his achievements. I don't want to make this a sachin Vs dravid debate...I only expressed that dravid rarely gets his due of credit

If you ask me, Dravid has got his credit mate. He is a collosus, not for nothing he is called the great wall of India! He lives in the hearts of us fans and I really dont care about media (and I hardly think Dravid cares about it either). He definitely is one of the greatest cricket players of all time and a true gentleman of the game. Wish there was somebody like him from amongst our younger crop.

In any sport, the superstars sell. But it doesnt mean those not in limelights are useless. Media is more concerned about superstars coz it makes money off them.

There are parallels in all sports. There are more news about David Beckham in media than other even more talented players. Media will always highlight more whatever it can sell more.
Old 25th November 2011, 12:35   #6325
BHPian

The way Ashwin is batting, he wants to confirm his comments that there is really nothing for the bowlers in the track.
Old 25th November 2011, 12:39   #6326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Hasn't been done before because no one else has played so many international matches.
These longevity records (highest aggregate, highest wickets, highest 100's etc) mostly prove very little other than longevity
Dont know about you, but for me longevity is the TRUE hallmark of greatness. I mean if it was so easy, many would have done it, init??

What is simpler - getting to the top OR being at the top for ages? Why are the great WI and Aus sides considered great? The present indian side has also been at the top and has won it all. Why isint it among the greatest teams of all time?

And speaking of Sachin, his longevity also means he has faced them all - From Ambrose, Walsh & Co to Imran, Wasim & Co to Donald & Co to the great Mcgrath & Co to Murali & Co. And still he is standing there. Who else has done that?
Old 25th November 2011, 12:59   #6327
BANNED

Quote:
Dont know about you, but for me longevity is the TRUE hallmark of greatness. I mean if it was so easy, many would have done it, init??
Not sure about it. A lot of countries push people out. For eg. Steve Waugh was pushed out when he was in far far better form than Sachin's prolonged slump a few years back. Waugh helped save the test in his last test.

Quote:
What is simpler - getting to the top OR being at the top for ages?
He isn't at the top now. I wouldn't consider him to be the top 5 batsman in the world currently.

Believe me - I am a big fan of Sachin, but longevity records do nothing for me.

If you had 2 players - one with 20 tests & one would 50 tests & with similar records, I would go for the 50 test one because it's far more difficult to do that over 50 tests as compared to 20. But as the number keeps increasing at some point, it loses importance for me - other than as proof that he keeps himself fit, he is dedicated, he practises even after so many years etc.

Don't misunderstand me - I hope Sachin continues doing this for 5 more years - he is still far better than Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, Suresh Raina & other flat track bullies, but I am don't pay much importance to any records he gets now which is just an extension of his own records because of longevity.
Old 25th November 2011, 13:25   #6328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

He isn't at the top now. I wouldn't consider him to be the top 5 batsman in the world currently.

Believe me - I am a big fan of Sachin, but longevity records do nothing for me.
So who are the top 5 batsman in the world right now?
In last 2 years he has scored more runs than any other batsman in the world and at an average higher than his career average. Even in the world cup he was the second highest scorer. His consistency is just remarkable isint it?

What more is he supposed to do?

Quote:
If you had 2 players - one with 20 tests & one would 50 tests & with similar records, I would go for the 50 test one because it's far more difficult to do that over 50 tests as compared to 20. But as the number keeps increasing at some point, it loses importance for me - other than as proof that he keeps himself fit, he is dedicated, he practises even after so many years etc.
Longevity becomes even more important as it brings into picture motivation which is the single biggest thing, even more than talent. Yuvraj Singh is talented enough but has the same motivation and dedication as Tendulkar? Tendulkar has won everything in the game, seen everything, made so much money, won awards, MOMs etc. Still he is not giving up or just living on his name yet. He is still playing better than most (I would say all), that is hallmark of greatness. For 22 years he has been either at the top or very near it, that is no mean feat. Not many sportstars can claim that on earth.

You talked of Steve Waugh. Would he have touched any of Sachin's records if he was still playing. I doubt it. He wasnt even tenth of the talent that Sachin is.
Old 25th November 2011, 14:48   #6329
BANNED

Quote:
So who are the top 5 batsman in the world right now?
For my money, it would be amongst Sangakarra, Amla, Kallis, Cook, Bell, Trott.
Quote:
In last 2 years he has scored more runs than any other batsman in the world and at an average higher than his career average.
Forget the stats - have you watched him play in the last 2 years? Compare the 100 he scored in South Africa 3rd test this year with his older 111 at Joburg, his 169 at Capetown or his 155 at Bloemfontein.

Quote:
Even in the world cup he was the second highest scorer. His consistency is just remarkable isint it?

What more is he supposed to do?
Do for what?

Quote:
Longevity becomes even more important as it brings into picture motivation which is the single biggest thing, even more than talent. Yuvraj Singh is talented enough but has the same motivation and dedication as Tendulkar? Tendulkar has won everything in the game, seen everything, made so much money, won awards, MOMs etc. Still he is not giving up or just living on his name yet. He is still playing better than most (I would say all), that is hallmark of greatness. For 22 years he has been either at the top or very near it, that is no mean feat. Not many sportstars can claim that on earth.
It's ridiculous to about Yuvraj & Tendulkar in the same sentence in terms of talent. Yuvraj is a ODI guy - i.e. good only on flat tracks. Tendulkar could bat left left-handed with better technique than Yuvraj in test matches.
Quote:
You talked of Steve Waugh. Would he have touched any of Sachin's records if he was still playing. I doubt it. He wasnt even tenth of the talent that Sachin is.
I consider Steve Waugh to be best batsman of the 90's - the only guy better than Tendulkar & Lara.
Old 25th November 2011, 14:59   #6330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I consider Steve Waugh to be best batsman of the 90's - the only guy better than Tendulkar & Lara.
It depends on the purpose. If the purpose is to save test match or win, then Steve Waugh is the man. If the purpose is to make most runs, or more centuries, then Sachin is the man for the job.

Great to see Ashwin score a century today and avoid follow-on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks