Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2011, 11:35   #6286
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

This 'upper-hand' feeling got to their heads, I suppose. They became very over-confident and felt invincible all of a sudden. You should have watched some of those shots played by the Aus batsmen.
Being an Aus fan, it is the most disappointing thing to see. Gone are the days when guys like Langer, Steve Waugh, Hayden would just dig in on tough pitches, take body blows and wear the bowlers out. But these new fellows just don't have the patience or toughness to bat like those great batsmen. They see more intent on playing a fast, stroke filled innings than a good old slow but concentration filled innings. I am sure Langer, being the batting coach, would have pulled his hair out after seeing Aus getting bowled out for 47 .
skanchan95 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2011, 13:38   #6287
BHPian

Yesterday I found cricinfo score updates faster than the live telecast shown in ten Cricket. cricinfo was always ahead at least with 2 -3 balls. Is it a deferred telecast in India with a Live sign on the screen, if this is the case then its cheating.
Old 11th November 2011, 16:29   #6288
BHPian

Grame Smith on 99 and South africa needs 2 runs for victory. Mitchell Johnson bowls a wide one down the leg side and Smith sets off for a bye, but sent back by Kallis. I was literally stunned to see what Smith did, takes a lot to do that. Two balls later he gets his hundred.

Here in India its all about a 'certain 100'. Its quite remarkable how different people see the same game in a different way.
Old 11th November 2011, 17:23   #6289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Grame Smith on 99 and South africa needs 2 runs for victory. Mitchell Johnson bowls a wide one down the leg side and Smith sets off for a bye, but sent back by Kallis. I was literally stunned to see what Smith did, takes a lot to do that. Two balls later he gets his hundred.

Here in India its all about a 'certain 100'. Its quite remarkable how different people see the same game in a different way.
True. Contrast this with Sachin not taking a leg-bye yesterday so that he could get to his hundred.

I also remember a hue and cry when Dravid was the captain and declared the innings at 675/5 so that India could take bowl at Pakistan late in the evening. Sachin was on 194*. Sachin himself stating that he was disappointed at missing his double hundred did not help.
watfor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2011, 19:48   #6290
BHPian

What a crazy game, South Africa v Australia, 1st Test: The Nelson at 11:11 on 11/11/11 | Cricket Features | South Africa v Australia | ESPN Cricinfo

And if this game had involved any team from the sub-continent, there would be 3 reactions,
1. Fixed.
2. Looks Fixed, but nahi yaar, it is not fixed, or was it, i don't know, I hate this game now.
3. From across the border, We don't do any fixing, we will have an enquiry into this
LOL
neofromcapone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2011, 20:26   #6291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watfor View Post
True. Contrast this with Sachin not taking a leg-bye yesterday so that he could get to his hundred.

I also remember a hue and cry when Dravid was the captain and declared the innings at 675/5 so that India could take bowl at Pakistan late in the evening. Sachin was on 194*. Sachin himself stating that he was disappointed at missing his double hundred did not help.
So many years of service and Tendulakr bashing still continues. I think if you keep saying a lie 1000 times it becomes a perception very easily. Not sure what Sachin has to do for people to just let him be. I enjoy his game and commitment to the game and its been life's great pleasure to watch him all these years.

Just a minor technicality - if a batsman withdraws his bat meaning does not offer a shot, he cannot run a leg-bye. So there is no contrast but just plain cricketing grace.
wickedchauhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2011, 22:16   #6292
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Its a sporting culture thing. Mark Taylor had an awefully long bad patch of form. Post that, in a test in Pakistan he finished the days play at 334*, tied with Don Bradman for the highest ever score by an Aussie and in sight of the world record score. What did he do ? Declare
Old 11th November 2011, 23:05   #6293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Although if it had happened in India, everyone would be busy blaming the curator, state association, BCCI, GoI and India in general. Now it's happened in SA, so I guess they will be calling it a great game of cricket. This is as close to a farce as you can get.
Exactly. The sub continent wickets are too slow and sub cricket. For e.g., if you go through the list of the lowest totals in test history, cape town features in at least 7 out of the top 20 and there is no Indian ground for at least 40 such low scores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Being an Aus fan, it is the most disappointing thing to see. Gone are the days when guys like Langer, Steve Waugh, Hayden would just dig in on tough pitches, take body blows and wear the bowlers out. But these new fellows just don't have the patience or toughness to bat like those great batsmen. They see more intent on playing a fast, stroke filled innings than a good old slow but concentration filled innings. I am sure Langer, being the batting coach, would have pulled his hair out after seeing Aus getting bowled out for 47 .
No one could have changed this outcome, this is a net result of poor leadership and team selection apart from the lack of self belief. Come on, there is ponting, clarke and hussey, what more do you want ? It's like sachin, dravid and laxman.

Quote:

Which is why we Indians should not put too much pressure on sachin, he has scored 99 100s in quick time, we should learn to respect our sportsmen for what they are and not for their records, left to himself, sachin would have got another 30 100s easily, if not for the pressure.
Old 12th November 2011, 09:16   #6294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watfor View Post

He may be a great batsman, but he is one of those fellows is who is after records. Nothing wrong, just basic human nature, but it does make one question his commitment towards the team's cause(spirit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
No one could have changed this outcome, this is a net result of poor leadership and team selection apart from the lack of self belief.
Respectfully Disagree regarding leadership. Clarke may not be in the same league Steve Waugh or Allan Border, but what he has shown in his limited time in charge of the Australian captain is that he has the ability to think and make tactical changes at the right time. He did well as a skipper in Oz's win in SL and the ODI series in SA. Just one bad innings does not make him a bad leader. With time time, he will blossom into a good captain. Besides, on the third day, the pitch seemed to have flattened out completely.

Poor selection, well, other than Brad Haddin, everyone deserves their place in the team. The faster Tim Paine recovers, the better it is for the Australian team. While batting, he has far better poise and technique than Haddin. The way Haddin just casually walks to the crease, chewing a gum, patting the pitch and not giving a damn while batting, just irritates me no end. Haddin is one of two players in the Australian team who are hanging onto their spots because of that moron Hilditch(the other being that joker Steve Smith). Once Inverarity take over from Hilditch, these guys will surely be out of the team.
Old 13th November 2011, 08:24   #6295
BHPian

The cricket columnist for Sydney Morning Herald, Peter Roebuck has passed away. RIP Pete!
Old 13th November 2011, 08:35   #6296
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
The cricket columnist for Sydney Morning Herald, Peter Roebuck has passed away. RIP Pete!
Amazing guy he was. RIP

News: Peter Roebuck dies aged 55 | Cricket News | Global | ESPN Cricinfo
Old 14th November 2011, 01:27   #6297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I think he is going to make his records look not so great by the time he retires by playing like this.
Really now? How is scoring a highest individual score in the innings bad? In fact he surpassed Dravid's overall in 2nd innings total. His record is not great because of the statistics but for the pure joy he has brought to people like me for 2 decades now. It doesn't matter whether or not he scores another 100 as long as he keeps playing the way he always has - with passion and team cause.
Old 17th November 2011, 22:25   #6298
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Yuvraj dropped for 3rd Test as Rohit makes comeback - The Times of India
Dropping Yuvraj a step in the right direction i feel! He struggled against a mediocre WI , i wonder how will he perform in the upcoming Aussie tour. He should only concentrate on ODI's & T20 i feel.
Ajinkya Rahane deserves a chance at no.6 in Test Matches.
Old 21st November 2011, 01:36   #6299
Senior - BHPian

I don't think yuvraj was dropped, he is 'injured' yet again. Rohit Sharma has a lot to prove and I hope he gets his chance ahead of Kohli.
Old 21st November 2011, 10:04   #6300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I don't think yuvraj was dropped, he is 'injured' yet again. Rohit Sharma has a lot to prove and I hope he gets his chance ahead of Kohli.
Tough to believe that. Yuvraj has had extended chances handed out to him and he has hardly been able to cash in on them. Unless he scores comprehensively in domestic circuits now, it is hard to see him in the test squad again. A ticket to Australia seems almost improbable for him now.

The simple point is, Yuvraj is a belter of moderate bowlers on easy batting wickets. Take any one out of the equation, and he is a foot soldier. However, the problem with him is probably not as much with his technique, as with his temperament.

The same could be said in the case of Kohli as well I suppose, but then at least he has shown the ability to judge the situation and play well moderated innings in the ODI game, adjusting his aggression and control over his batting. I think he would be a safe bet for the third test, ahead of Rohit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks