Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2012, 13:47   #7036
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Cricket Thread

If that were the case, it was stupid of VVS to retire based on the newspaper comments alone. Who the hell is Manjrekar to be taken so seriously ?
Old 10th September 2012, 14:32   #7037
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
As per today's TOI editorial, it was the Bombay duo's (Gavaskar and Manjrekar) 'advice' thru newspaper columns that forced Laxman to quit. Wonder if these two would provide the same advice to their State-mate a.k.a Demi-God a.k.a Joker (to a few of us).
There is enough difference between the twos performance for it to be valid to offer the retirment advice only to one of them

Last 2 overseas series
Laxman - 331 runs @ 21
Sachin - 560 runs @ 35

And 4-5 years back, when Sachin was going through a bad patch, Manjrekar had offered him retirement advice at that time.

This time is very different.

Gambhir has been terrible for 3 years. Sehwag does well only in the sub-continent these days. Laxman had a miserable series of Eng and Aus. Sachin has done better than all of offering him retirement advice.

Last edited by carboy : 10th September 2012 at 14:35.
Old 10th September 2012, 14:52   #7038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subs View Post
For us viewers, it is such a blessing to be born in an era of so many great legends as we enjoy watching them perform. But can you imagine, for players like Badrinath and Stuart Law, after years and years of struggle and sacrifices, they dont get the recognition they deserve and have to live with the tag of 'almost legend'!
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Some more name comes to mind, Brijesh Patel, V.Sivaramakrishnan
Here is an article with a list of some greats who didnt play tests.

http://www.cricketcountry.com/cricke...-cricket/17802
Old 10th September 2012, 16:23   #7039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
If that were the case, it was stupid of VVS to retire based on the newspaper comments alone. Who the hell is Manjrekar to be taken so seriously ?
Seems like the Bombay brothers are now retirement consultants and offer advice to those who did not seek it in the first place. Shastri seems to be employed elsewhere now.
Old 10th September 2012, 16:48   #7040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Unfortunately, we ourselves are to blame for this! When I say we, I mean the general public and the angry Indian fan who loves flinging these bottles onto the field.
For us, blame is always collective while praise is individual. Why so? not asking in terms of your statement suhaas. just wondering generally.

Quote:
maybe he thought it was a good idea to let someone else be groomed on indian pitches. and maybe he also was not sure of maintaining his fitness level till the next overseas tour.

Quote:
Seems like the Bombay brothers are now retirement consultants and offer advice to those who did not seek it in the first place. Shastri seems to be employed elsewhere now.
I hope Shastri has taken this advice from those two.
Old 10th September 2012, 16:56   #7041
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
maybe he thought it was a good idea to let someone else be groomed on indian pitches. and maybe he also was not sure of maintaining his fitness level till the next overseas tour.
If this was the case - fine. What I cannot digest is retiring because Sanjay Manjrekar opposed your selection...
Old 10th September 2012, 17:09   #7042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If that was the case, he would have announced his retirement much before the squad was announced, he is the last person in the world to play for personal needs.

Quote:
I hope Shastri has taken this advice from those two.
Old 10th September 2012, 17:37   #7043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If this was the case - fine. What I cannot digest is retiring because Sanjay Manjrekar opposed your selection...
ha ha, true. In fact there is one thing that Mr. Manjrekar did which I immensely liked.
In Bombay, there was (is?) this immense issue of flex boards,a s with anywhere else in the country. Apparently he put up a flex board wishing a happy birthday to his gardener. or was it his dog? it doesnt matter, what it did was bring to attention this idiotic usage of flex boards.
while I agree this may not really be the case, I find Mr. Manjrekar to be a better commentator than Mr. Shastri at least. But again thats no good benchmark
Old 10th September 2012, 17:53   #7044
Team-BHP Support

Ah, commentary has been discussed on this thread before. There is NO Indian commentator which I like, save Harsha Bhogale and Sourav Ganguly.
Old 11th September 2012, 00:38   #7045
BHPian

Hi everybody
On saturday the 8th sep economic times carried the article on its front page.The headline ran as under:
Is Sachin stuck on the crease for ad deals?
http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML
Regards

PS:Selfdrive hi.Manjrekar was wishing his gardener happy birthday.Unfortunately it has not made any difference.Our politicians are thick skinned for such subtle messages.
Old 11th September 2012, 01:12   #7046
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For us, blame is always collective while praise is individual. Why so? not asking in terms of your statement suhaas. just wondering generally.
No comment.

Quote:
If that was the case, he would have announced his retirement much before the squad was announced, he is the last person in the world to play for personal needs.
Quote:
Ah, commentary has been discussed on this thread before. There is NO Indian commentator which I like, save Harsha Bhogale and Sourav Ganguly.
Completely agree with the both of you. +10000 for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody
On saturday the 8th sep economic times carried the article on its front page.The headline ran as under:
Is Sachin stuck on the crease for ad deals?
http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML
Regards
Ah! More controversial news! Come come now my pretties. *schemingly rolls fingers*

For what it's worth, Sachin must not be affected by this. He must do what he feels right. I'm no one to judge.
Old 11th September 2012, 21:48   #7047
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know where the live streaming of todays match can be seen online.
Old 11th September 2012, 22:46   #7048
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Poor Rohit Sharma, he doesn't seem to be doing anything right!
I feel Dhoni missed a trick by not taking the final delivery & leaving it to Rohit. He should have refused the two since he was the set batsman & more likely to connect of the last delivery.
Offcourse credit to the Kiwis, especially their intimidating looking medium pacers who pulled things back in the last 7-8 overs.
Old 11th September 2012, 23:00   #7049
Team-BHP Support

Losing a T20 match from a winning position (48 runs from 42 balls with 7 wickets remaining) hurts. Especially after watching a Kohli special.

Kudos to the Black-Caps for holding their nerve. I knew, the moment when we needed 25 of the last two overs, that the match was lost.

Sending Raina up the order wasn't a smart move, I'd say. I'd rather have had Tiwari sent up the order. And I would have chosen Rahane instead of Rohit Sharma. Dhoni should have come right up to the stumps the moment McCullum started looking dangerous. Many of those boundaries came of the meat of the bat after he gingerly walked down the pitch. Elementary mistakes. Can't afford to make these, especially with the T20 World Cup right 'round the corner.
Old 11th September 2012, 23:33   #7050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Sending Raina up the order wasn't a smart move, I'd say. I'd rather have had Tiwari sent up the order. And I would have chosen Rahane instead of Rohit Sharma.
I think Raina was promoted to No. 3 since that is his usual batting position with CSK and they wanted to maintain LH and RH Combination after Gambhir s wicket.

I dont think Dhoni will opt for Rahane , he has persisted with Sharma for so long. I think Dhoni s batting to an extent was a cause for the loss. Anyways a good lesson before T20 WC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks