Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2021, 13:18   #391
BHPian

Re: Gardening experts in Team BHP?

From my urban garden in Bangalore city.
If you have the will to spend time and nurture plants, they will cooperate.
This is now the biggest stress buster for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Gardening experts in Team BHP?-garden1.jpg  

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-garden2.jpg  

sj_koova is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 13:32   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Am new to gardening.
Of late, am struggling with my garden plants - they seem to yellow quickly and are attracting lot of white-colored flea-type pests/insects. Is it the onset of summer?
Any suggestions for good pesticide?
The plants are small and comprise of rose bush, orchids, small palms, marigold etc.
Also, would like to have suggestions for good nutrient sprays.
Yellowing can occur due to few reasons
1. Over supply of water
2. Soil is acidic - Test the soil and try dolomite if needed (or natural wood ash)
3. Plants not getting enough nutrition like nitrogen and phosphorus - Try fertilizers rich with these components. If you are using non-organic, supply little quantity at a time.

You have to figure out what is exactly causing the yellowing on plants. Typically these can occur more often with the plants in pots.

For the flea, try neem cake in the soil and neem oil spray for plants. Don't use chemicals unnecessary.
sj_koova is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 13:38   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Try fertilizers rich with these components. If you are using non-organic, supply little quantity at a time.
Thanks, Anything you can recommend off Amazon etc.?

Quote:
You have to figure out what is exactly causing the yellowing on plants. Typically these can occur more often with the plants in pots.
Yes, that's true. Almost all the plants are in pots (some plastic, some clay).

Quote:
For the flea, try neem cake in the soil and neem oil spray for plants. Don't use chemicals unnecessary.
Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 22:19   #394
BHPian

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to ask the question but here it goes. So I live in row house, the entry gate is parallel to an arterial road so there's lots of dust kicked up everytime any vehicle goes by. Is there any way I can use plants to reduce the amount of dust. I'm thinking of making a pit outside the gate to plant a tree which would make things a bit easier. If this works, which tree/plant to go for ? TIA
(Mods, if not relevant to this thread, please move this post to relevant thread )
Akshay6988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 13:57   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to ask the question but here it goes. So I live in row house, the entry gate is parallel to an arterial road so there's lots of dust kicked up everytime any vehicle goes by. Is there any way I can use plants to reduce the amount of dust. I'm thinking of making a pit outside the gate to plant a tree which would make things a bit easier. If this works, which tree/plant to go for ? TIA
(Mods, if not relevant to this thread, please move this post to relevant thread )
Hi Sir, I'm not a gardening expert but I have the same situation and I have planted 3 Ashoka trees and a bougainvillea hedge for dust and privacy purposes. You can look in that direction as well. You can really mix white/pink/yellow colors of bougainvillea hedges as it really looks nice around the year. Thanks!
drive_angry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 23:40   #396
snr
BHPian

Hi guys any recommendations on procuring organic manure, I live in Koramangala Bangalore. I have a small terrace garden, with regular flowers, roses, jasmine etc and a few vegetables like tomato, brinjal, avocado etc. I don't want to rely on google info because past few times we got very poor quality stuff. The local nursery guy has only chemical laden manure.
Old 5th May 2021, 10:32   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snr View Post
Hi guys any recommendations on procuring organic manure, I live in Koramangala Bangalore. I have a small terrace garden, with regular flowers, roses, jasmine etc and a few vegetables like tomato, brinjal, avocado etc. I don't want to rely on google info because past few times we got very poor quality stuff. The local nursery guy has only chemical laden manure.
Your best recourse is to make compost at home. It is organic and very high in nutrients. Mix it with normal soil when you use it.

1. Get a biggish container - say 20L or so.
2. Get some soil - say 5L.
3. Every day put vegetable and other waste (eggs shells chicken & fish bones etc) in the container and cover with a thin layer of soil.
4. Once the container fills up keep it aside for a month or so. The compost will be ready.

You can make as much compost as you like, just keep adding the collection cans.
Aroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 10:44   #398
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snr View Post
Hi guys any recommendations on procuring organic manure, I live in Koramangala Bangalore.
There is a gau-shala between the NGV gate and the BMTC depot in Koramangala. You can check there.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 11:40   #399
snr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Your best recourse is to make compost at home. It is organic and very high in nutrients. Mix it with normal soil when you use it.

1. Get a biggish container - say 20L or so.
2. Get some soil - say 5L.
3. Every day put vegetable and other waste (eggs shells chicken & fish bones etc) in the container and cover with a thin layer of soil.
4. Once the container fills up keep it aside for a month or so. The compost will be ready.

You can make as much compost as you like, just keep adding the collection cans.
I had tried this method long back, but didn't get the desired result. Maybe I didn't do it correctly. Let me try this again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
There is a gau-shala between the NGV gate and the BMTC depot in Koramangala. You can check there.
Oh yes, I've seen this place. But didn't know they had manure for sale. I shall check it out! Thank you!
Old 25th May 2021, 23:33   #400
BHPian

Hi, saw your post today. A bit late. Please do not chase away these 'specific red ants'. There are many types of red ants, small and large. These are larger in size. Are referred as 'mungi'.

These are very helpful in killing unwanted pests, bugs, caterpillar anything which feed on vegetables and leaves of vegetable plants.

On all our vegetable growing plants we try to get these specific ants to build their nests. Which they usually do by knitting together leaves of the vegetable plant. It's a very effective method to control pest at no cost and is natural.

These ants usually nest among mango leaves. What we do is from the mango tree connect jute rope, to the vegetable plant we want them to nest and leave small bits of fish or meat on the line and vegetable plant. Within a day or two they will take over the desired plant. Keep leaving small bits till they start stitching nests on the vegetable plant.
Old 26th May 2021, 06:58   #401
Distinguished - BHPian

Weaver ants can become a big problem, and that is why people try to get rid of them. It is not just fruit trees but even trees like neem where they make their nests. Trees which are not even fruiting.

I hear from senior & experienced folks that they dont try to eliminate these weaver ants, because of the pest control they do. However, during winter (or starting now in monsoon), these ants will get into their nests. These people said they burn the nests at this time -often using a burner that has a concentrated flame.

Note - these are people who try to use symbiosis between plants, and not just animals. But some amount of control is needed for a balance. And our own convenience.

Last edited by condor : 26th May 2021 at 07:25.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 11:32   #402
BHPian

My Father-in-law has a small garden in his house, in Ahmedabad. About 600 sqft size. He loves gardening. I was thinking of gifting him a flowering plant. I thought I could get a Protea flower seeds from SA, but then I read it takes quite an effort. And the plant only starts flowering after 5-6 years. Can you guys suggest a stunning/beautiful flower plant that I can gift him to thrive Ahmedabad's climate? I stay in Bangalore, so I'll be ordering it online only. Seed or plant suggesting, either will do.
Old 20th June 2021, 13:49   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
I was thinking of gifting him a flowering plant.
There are so many options. You could try Rajanigandha - doesnt take space - grows a few feet tall, but less on horizontal. Bulbs are available on Amazon, though you will end up with 10-12 at least (in that box).

Another option is to gift him a sapling itself. Works out more expensive when you consider number of seeds you can get from the different sites. But it will be less time before he sees the flowers.

Last edited by condor : 20th June 2021 at 13:51.
Old 14th September 2021, 12:29   #404
BANNED

Guys, please recommend a good organic khaad/ manure/ fertilizer, preferably online. We have a lot of plants, a few flowers and 2/3 vegetables.

Also Please recommend what product should I go for - regular khaad/ vermicompost/ fertilizer ?

Someone posted IFFCO market place’s link. will this product be good -
- (https://www.iffcobazar.in/en/product...micompost-5-kg)

Thanks.
Old 14th September 2021, 21:28   #405
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post

Someone posted IFFCO market place’s link. will this product be good -
- (https://www.iffcobazar.in/en/product...micompost-5-kg)

Thanks.
If you wish to grow veges completely organic and get a good quality and yield you will need to get and maintain vermicompost @ 5% by weight of the soil mix. (Approx) That could prove a bit expensive vis a vis what you buy from your friendly neighborhood retailer. But if that's not a botheration you can go ahead, IFFCO is the best you will get in the market. Average cost of vermicompost is Rs 8-9 when you pick.a 50 kg bag, though quality will need to be verified.
PGA is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks