Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2022, 22:51   #436
BHPian

Re: Gardening experts in Team BHP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Photo is not very clear. Any chance of getting a better slightly more focused pic?
Here are a few more. Dad has asked someone to chop down the tree ( looks like they have killed it ). They seem to spin some sort of web thread and hang from the tree branches. I am not sure how to control these things in case they reappear.
Attached Thumbnails
Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img20221229174554.jpg  

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img20221229174603.jpg  

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img20221229174628.jpg  

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img20221229174641.jpg  

Old 1st January 2023, 07:36   #437
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We get to see a load of bugs and crawlers in our garden and it's fun documenting them but not so fun when they are harming the plants. It's a never ending process. Strongest pesticide we use is neem oil based, though recently i have set up glue traps for my vegetable garden.
Saw your post again, and noticed this one:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac..._16042701.jpeg

Not good ! I think it sucks the sap of the tree.

Regarding pesticides. apart from neem oil, try to add water of soaked tobacco leaves, urine of desi cows - mix all these in what you are spraying.

For the weaver ants, I had read about applying grease around the tree trunk/branch such that it forms a 4 inch (approx) wide ring/patch around the trunk. This is said to prevent them from going up the tree. The cheapest grease could be used.
Old 1st January 2023, 12:21   #438
PGA
BHPian

Quote:

A few pics from the garden: (All pics taken with a mobile. So please excuse.
While you say pictures aren't very clear, to me they are just super. I liked each one of them, thanks for sharing.

About all the insects and invertebrates you clicked except for one or may be two, I do think any one of them harms the plants, infact they are predators of sucking pests. With this rich biology I do think you need any pesticide, when these go away you will get an attack of the plant sucking insects and larve.
Old 2nd January 2023, 12:14   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Here are a few more. Dad has asked someone to chop down the tree ( looks like they have killed it ). They seem to spin some sort of web thread and hang from the tree branches. I am not sure how to control these things in case they reappear.
Sorry was away for New Years. That looks like the larvae of Bag Worm Moth. And looks like pesticides are the way out. Sorry to hear that the tree is being chopped off :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Saw your post again, and noticed this one:

Not good ! I think it sucks the sap of the tree.

Regarding pesticides. apart from neem oil, try to add water of soaked tobacco leaves, urine of desi cows - mix all these in what you are spraying.

For the weaver ants, I had read about applying grease around the tree trunk/branch such that it forms a 4 inch (approx) wide ring/patch around the trunk. This is said to prevent them from going up the tree. The cheapest grease could be used.
Yes, it's a Mango tree borer and is very harmful. The damn thing is armor plated like crazy. Took me a while to kill it.

As for the weaver ants, considering the number of plants/trees around, the place will have to be covered in grease Don't really mind the ants but the damn critters bring aphids to my veggies.

We clear some of their nests randomly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
While you say pictures aren't very clear, to me they are just super. I liked each one of them, thanks for sharing.

About all the insects and invertebrates you clicked except for one or may be two, I do think any one of them harms the plants, infact they are predators of sucking pests. With this rich biology I do think you need any pesticide, when these go away you will get an attack of the plant sucking insects and larve.
Thanks for the compliment

We generally don't go overboard with neem oil unless the plant is really suffering due aphid infestations.

Yes, we do have a nice diverse flora and fauna around and it is very interesting. We get a lot of birds as well, shall post the pics in the relevant thread later.

Highlight is always seeing Brown Kites swopping down to drink water from the bird bath. Amazing majestic birds.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 12:30   #440
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,
We have a bunch of small pots kept in our balcony which is now under the attack of mealybugs; white colored tiny bugs that drink the sap out of the plants.

Google results tell me home treatments consisting of diluted dishwasher liquid mixed water sprays among other options; which doesn't seem to work so far. Anyone faced these bugs and got rid of them? What worked for you?
Old 2nd January 2023, 13:24   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Guys,
We have a bunch of small pots kept in our balcony which is now under the attack of mealybugs; white colored tiny bugs that drink the sap out of the plants.
Neem oil spray helps but better if you rub them out after spraying on them. It's a never ending saga in our vegetable garden at home. They just love tomato plants!
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 14:54   #442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ninja, check this:

https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-con...lybugs-1902890
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 17:16   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
This works

We had a terrible mealy bug infestation which threatened to kill several of our plants. We tried dish soap, neem oil, vinegar, nothing worked. We finally took the plants to a nearby nursery where they suggested the garlic-chilli method and it worked wonders!

Grind a few cloves of garlic and some green chilli into a fine paste (careful while doing so, its a very potent mixture. We were left with tearing eyes after the grinding). Dilute it in water, and spray all over the affected plants directly without filtering the mixture. Repeat once in 2 weeks. We got rid of the infestation completely. We repeated it a few more times and now we are completely mealy bug free.

Quote:
Neem oil spray helps but better if you rub them out after spraying on them. It's a never ending saga in our vegetable garden at home. They just love tomato plants!
Try the above method also deathwalkr. Its the only thing that worked for us.

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 2nd January 2023 at 17:20.
GeneralJazz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 18:14   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
garlic-chilli method and it worked wonders!

Grind a few cloves of garlic and some green chilli into a fine paste (careful while doing so, its a very potent mixture. We were left with tearing eyes after the grinding).

Try the above method also deathwalkr. Its the only thing that worked for us.
Yes, my wife did buy one such spray from the nursery she frequents and it was effective. Had forgotten about that, shall try the homemade version
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 15:39   #445
BHPian

I am trying to set up a terrace garden predominantly with fruit trees planted in plastic barrels.

I was wondering if there are any reliable automated solutions for watering the plants. Water availability is not an issue as a 500 liter tank is available at a height of 10 feet from the terrace and the quality of water is good too - Not hard, and not salty.
Old 18th January 2023, 16:42   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
I am trying to set up a terrace garden predominantly with fruit trees planted in plastic barrels.

I was wondering if there are any reliable automated solutions for watering the plants. Water availability is not an issue as a 500 liter tank is available at a height of 10 feet from the terrace and the quality of water is good too - Not hard, and not salty.
Pretty sure you should be able to set up a watering system with a timers by yourself. Parts would be available on Amazon and gardening sites.

Could get an estimate from people like this as well:
https://peeyesassociates.com/services/

There was one more tech site into iot in Trivandrum that did this, but their site seems to be down.
https://www.newindianexpress.com/cit...s-2148317.html

I tried telling my wife that we should have something like this for our rooftop veggie garden but she said she likes watering the plants. You need to go so you will look if plants are ok as well.

What fruit trees are you planning for and where are you getting them from?

Good luck.
Old 18th January 2023, 17:30   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post

For a small terrace garden, it'll be a pleasure to water them once every alternate day, I've potted plants on my terrace and ground floor, and enjoy this chore, with a teacup in hand.

Moreover you'll know the health of your plants this way.
Old 31st January 2023, 10:26   #448
BHPian

Hi, Any leads on a good & large nursery in South Bangalore (not the one-round-the-corner-reseller types). Last time we visited Kerala, bought a few pots & plants over there. Interestingly they said they get their stuff from Bangalore(!). TIA.

p.s.: I have no clue on what we are shopping for since that's entirely being handled by the missus. I'm tasked with finding the nursery & the transportation portion of the equation
Old 7th March 2023, 19:02   #449
BHPian

Please suggest tried and tested places around Bangalore/online for getting heirloom seeds (vegetables, fruits, herbs).
Old 7th March 2023, 19:13   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Hi, Any leads on a good & large nursery in South Bangalore (not the one-round-the-corner-reseller types)
Since you mentioned south Bangalore, you can try your luck at Indo-American Hybrid Seeds.

Indo-American Hybrid Seeds
080 2861 1499
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Zok91cxsJEPzGBth9

The earlier go to nurseries were on the road leading to big banyan tree from Mysore road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks