Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2021, 10:24   #406
BANNED

Re: Gardening experts in Team BHP?

Thanks. I’ll order that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
If you wish to grow veges .
We don’t need to grow veges. Only need to maintain regular household potted plants.

Can you also suggest if for this maintenance regular dried cowdung/ manure is good enough? Do we need vermicompost or any other product ?
Old 15th September 2021, 11:27   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Guys, please recommend a good organic khaad/ manure/ fertilizer, preferably online. We have a lot of plants, a few flowers and 2/3 vegetables.

Also Please recommend what product should I go for - regular khaad/ vermicompost/ fertilizer ?

Someone posted IFFCO market place’s link. will this product be good -
- (https://www.iffcobazar.in/en/product...micompost-5-kg)

Thanks.
Why don't you make you own compost. Most Indian households use a lot of vegetables. That yields a lot of peels and trimmings. Add to that egg shells if you have them and tea and coffee.

1. If you have garden, then dig a hole about 1m deep (the deeper the better), keep the soil. Keep putting wastes in the pit. Cover each layer with a bit of excavated soil. Once on pit fills up, start another one and so on. The compost will be ready withing 4 to 6 months.

2. If you are in a flat, then get a few 20L plastic buckets with lid. Keep filling daily waste and cover with a bit of soil. Once a bucket fills up start with next. Keep the buckets close with a tightly fitting lid.

Compost is best formed with no air, that is why you add soil every day. The lack of air will also prevent that "garbage" smell.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 14:25   #408
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
We don’t need to grow veges. Only need to maintain regular household potted plants.

Can you also suggest if for this maintenance regular dried cowdung/ manure is good enough? Do we need vermicompost or any other product ?
Dried dung/manure is not a good idea, use inorganic fertiliser like npk 19-19-19 or compost.

Plants uptake nutrition in two ways, broadly, one is when you add inorganic ferti to soil it forms a solution with water and gets taken up by roots. Second, is the natural way, when you add compost to soil, you add very little nutrients but a whole lot of microbes which start breaking down the organic matter and minerals present in the soil for plants to uptake First solution has faster results and the second is slow but more lasting, so your take what you wish to follow.
PGA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 17:12   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Why don't you make you own compost. Most Indian households use a lot of vegetables. That yields a lot of peels and trimmings. Add to that egg shells if you have them and tea and coffee.

2. If you are in a flat, then get a few 20L plastic buckets with lid. Keep filling daily waste and cover with a bit of soil. Once a bucket fills up start with next. Keep the buckets close with a tightly fitting lid.
We did this here. The city corporation went around households and offered this to them (3 bucket setup) at a very subsidized rate. Issue is when something is out of balance, the worms start falling out!

We feed them to the Robins that come to our garden. They be happy.

And yes, the compost is amazing for our garden.
Old 16th September 2021, 02:38   #410
BHPian

Hi All, A novice Urban Gardener here, with 'not so green thumb'. I have been trying something lately and has worked well for me.

I have a large patio pond with goldfishes in them. These fishes release a lot of waste, so I had to run powerful filters to keep the water clean. Lately I have just started watering the plants with that from the patio pond. And I just top the patio pond with fresh water, which keeps the fishes happy. Plants are also thriving well on this water.

Fish waste contains a lot of ammonia which can be beneficial to plants once they are broken down to nitrites and nitrates by denitrifying bacteria present inside the soil. This is the same concept as used in aquaponics.
satyabrata.dash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 09:55   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyabrata.dash View Post
Hi All, A novice Urban Gardener here, with 'not so green thumb'. I have been trying something lately and has worked well for me.

I have a large patio pond with goldfishes in them. These fishes release a lot of waste, so I had to run powerful filters to keep the water clean. Lately I have just started watering the plants with that from the patio pond. And I just top the patio pond with fresh water, which keeps the fishes happy. Plants are also thriving well on this water.

Fish waste contains a lot of ammonia which can be beneficial to plants once they are broken down to nitrites and nitrates by denitrifying bacteria present inside the soil. This is the same concept as used in aquaponics.
I read some interesting articles by Fisheries Department.

It seems that fish and plants have a symbiotic relationship. To increase yield the articles have different combination of fish species and plants that can coexist.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 10:22   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyabrata.dash View Post

Welcome to Aquaponics 101 You can keep money plants and such which will spread their roots into the pond and you can see their growth as compared to one in soil.

We have a 40 plant (veggies) aquaponic setup recently and the growth of seedlings in that and compared to the same seedlings in grow bags, the difference is striking.

Another small pond in the front has different types of ivy and that's doing good as well.

And while we drain the large pond we ensure the water is poured for all the plants around.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 13:09   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Compost is best formed with no air, that is why you add soil every day. The lack of air will also prevent that "garbage" smell.
Interesting. Never knew this. We have the below setup provided by the local panchayat. The working principal is similar to what you have mentioned with a manure like soil that we have to scatter on top everyday after putting in the day's waste

But this is not air tight as can be seen. After the top bucket is filled, we are supposed to take it to the bottom and so on. By the time the third bucket is filled the first one would become manure is what they said. Yet to reach that stage

But there was an attack of ants and a wasp like instect which started breeding in that. Now we keep the top covered with cloth

Am just wondering about the air tight stuff. There are holes all around and initially due to a mistake from our side ( we are not supposed to put in very watery vegetables in whole) even water started seeping out.

Any suggestions?

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-image-2.jpg

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-image-1.jpg
Old 1st October 2021, 18:23   #414
BHPian

Post monsoon, plants are in full bloom, some denting and painting.
Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img20211001wa0003.jpg

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img20211001wa0002.jpg

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img20210930wa0004.jpg

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img20210930wa0003.jpg
Vinod_nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 11:04   #415
BHPian

Gentleman, I want to get those desk plants in small pots to make my work desk a bit - posh looking. I looked up online few sites, but all the plants were without flowers.. Are there any plants that are small enough but also grow flowers ? Also are these desk plants pet friendly ? Any suggestions are welcome and kindly suggest from where can I get them ?
Old 6th December 2021, 13:44   #416
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
Gentleman, I want to get those desk plants in small pots to make my work desk a bit - posh looking.
How about orchids ?

Quote:
Also are these desk plants pet friendly ?
Rather, are the pets friendly towards desk plants ?

Do you have a cat ?
Old 7th December 2021, 11:16   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gentleman, I want to get those desk plants in small pots to make my work desk a bit - posh looking. I looked up online few sites, but all the plants were without flowers.. Are there any plants that are small enough but also grow flowers ? Also are these desk plants pet friendly ? Any suggestions are welcome and kindly suggest from where can I get them ?
There are a lot of indoor plants with colourful leaves. Plants with flowers need sunlight and will wither indoors.

The beauty of indoor plants is that they keep producing oxygen even at night, so your work space will be healthy. Look up which plants produce oxygen indoors and then choose ones that please your eye.

https://www.floweraura.com/blog/plan...xygen-at-night
(there are 4 plants that flower

https://trinjal.com/plants-that-give...xygen-at-night
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 12:59   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The beauty of indoor plants is that they keep producing oxygen even at night, so your work space will be healthy. Look up which plants produce oxygen indoors and then choose ones that please your eye.
This is an interesting point and of late i have been seeing a lot of sellers marketing these Oxygen giving plants at a premium.

Just how many of these plants would you be requiring for them to really make a difference? Even so, does it really matter?

Just curious...

Always believed plants have to be outdoors
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 13:11   #419
BHPian

Hello guys: Need a bit of help here. I have a 5700 sq yard farm with chikoo, lemon, gooseberry and jamun trees and a couple of mango trees. Lots of neem trees. We have a big lawn so plenty of nitrogen available every 15 days. Dried leaves in summer are no problem and when deficient, i can make it up with wood chips ( planning to get a chipper/shredder) or some sawdust from the saw mill nearby.

Question is: What should be the design of the compost pit so to to allow easy turnover for optimal aeration. I have access to fresh buffalo dung and plan to use that to kick start the composting.

The second question that i need an answer to is i would be having 2-3 cars (2-ICE and 1-EV) parked in an open garage with just a fibre roof. What plants do i put in the vicinity or surroundings to prevent snakes and rats from entering the engine bay and destroying the wires? I heard that snakes don't like lemon grass since it cuts their skin and so they don't come near it. Any such plants for rats?

Agriculture fair at Gandhinagar, Gujarat.

Went to the fair today. Extremely crowded. But could see all stuff under one roof and very convenient.

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-fair1.jpg

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-fair2.jpg

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-fair3.jpg

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-tiller.jpg

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-tiller-2.jpg

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-pump.jpg

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 10th December 2021 at 18:29. Reason: back to back posts merged
Old 11th December 2021, 15:30   #420
Senior - BHPian

I'm a newbie to this thread and actually, to gardening also. I mean, I have planted a few plants, and have trimmed and cut overgrown plants once a year. One thing I have noticed it that anything I plant grows well and does not die.

My query now is regarding planting a small lawn in our compound. The area is a walkway about 2' wide x 30' long. So far nothing was grown there and I had placed granite stones in places where the rainwater falls. Recently I had bought fresh red soil and have put it on this stretch mixed with sand. Not sure if this was the right thing to do.

How do I grow a lawn here? Seeds or those readymade lawn patches?

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-img_20211209_074307.jpg

Last edited by samaspire : 11th December 2021 at 15:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks