Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2009, 02:08   #301
Team-BHP Support

Credit Card people can be funny fellows. Now they chase you, now they play hard to catch. It is sometimes difficult to fathom their ways. Of late HDFC had been after me to issue a free Platinum card as I am a preferred customer. Now I stopped accepting any new cards some 2 years back and one by one cancelled my myriad cards. Now I use only 1 primary card (ICICI) and a HSBC card as a backup. However, for a change I decided to accept the HDFC as I thought making payments will be easier through my bank account (just like the ICICI card). Also, they offer 0 fuel surcharge on the card (any fuel pump). Plus the fact that HDFC is generally a very conservative bank and usually you do not see them chasing people for taking their cards. So that mentality also is something I like about them.

Decided to take the Titanium (liked the looks). Got the card at my office address as the guy suggested to keep that as my mailing address till I get the card. Now, while giving me the card they did a complete background check that included my residence address (which is currently the Alternate Address) as well as my office address. However now that I want my mailing address switched to the residence one on their records I realize how stupid certain processes can be.

First time around, the call center guy says that you can not change address in the first 6 months. I was dumb founded. What? You mean I am tied to my mailing address just because I accepted your card? After some word exchange he finally says that you need to go to the branch and put in a request. Never mind the fact that I am not actually asking him to change the address to a new one. It is just a switch of the mailing address with my alternate address. They validated both addresses physically.

After 2 days I call them again and tell the guy that it is difficult for me if the statements etc come to office and hence I want to switch my mailing address to my residence address which they already have on their records as a verified address. This guy says one minute... and then the CBI routine begins,
1. Sir, what is the name on the card? I answer the question.
2. Sir, what is your DOB? Again I answer the question.
3. Sir, what is the expiry date on the card? I answer that as well.
4. Sir, what is the residence address provided you provided to us? I am a little bemused but answer it nonetheless.
5. Sir, what is your exact mailing address? Now I have started squirming but still maintain my composure and answer that one.
6. Sir, what was the last transaction done? Now I am getting restless and say what is the exact problem buddy?
7. No problems sir (problems?!!), what is the credit limit on your card? I am exasperated. And I say, are you interested in listeningn to the issue at hand at all?
8. This guy without batting an eyelid throws in the next googly. What is your Customer ID number? By now I have had enough. I shout at him, stop this CBI routine will ya? You have asked enough questions for the day. Now except for asking me to come out of the phone and stand in front of you I do not think you have anything else to ask me. And I am not answering your stupid questions anymore.

I am amazed when this guy almost says out with a sigh, sorry sir but I can not help you since you have not answered the questions! I am so sick of it by now that I tell him never mind about helping me. I will like to pay off my card transactions and close the card. The joker again says in that same tone of finality, sorry sir but you can not close the card...

I do not let him finish and shout heck you will. Let me see how you stop me from doing that and throw the phone away in disgust.

The saga does not end there. The next day is a weekend and I am at my close friends house (very close to mine), in my half chaddhi and t-shirt. My cell rings. Its another well intentioned CSE from HDFC. The guy first confirms what is my name (Not again!). And then wishes to know whether I called the previous day about an address change request. I tell him that it was not a change request. I just asked for a switch of mailing address to the current residence address which they already have as a verified record. The guy without answering that gambit or batting an eyelid just throws a question at me. Sir can you provide me your driving licence number?

I do not know what to say. Here I am in my night dress at my friend's place early in the morning (no purse, no DL, nothing on me) and this guy straightaway asks for my DL number which is some 18 chars alphanumeric string! I tell him that I am not really very interested in all these CBI giri and I have better things to do in life. If they wish to do what I requested then I think I have already provided enough data to verify my last 7 generations and I won't do any more answering. He mumbles something about processes etc. And I curtly tell him that they need to revisit their processes if they start stiffling their customers. If he has to do so much of verification what was the point of adding my residence address in their records as a verified address? With ICICI I have switched between my residence and office address multitudes of times in the past without half as much pain.

The call ends in a stalemate. And lefts me wondering who really design such processes in the name of security which start sounding like overkill. They know for sure that they are talking to the genuine person after so many interactions (remember, they called on my number to verify and that again proved that I and not someone else sought the address switch) and still they insist on asking more and more questions.

As for this card, I am not very sure about whether I really wish to retain it any more. What happens tomorrow if I need a real address change? A switch between two verified addresses is proving to be such a tough challenge that it makes me wonder whether a really new address will mean they will ask me to get an affidavit from the court or some such thing!

Last edited by Zappo : 14th November 2009 at 02:10.
Old 14th November 2009, 02:33   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
And this is a multinational bank!
I meant the multinational bank which claims to be the world's "local bank".
Old 14th November 2009, 11:42   #303
BHPian

@zappo,

1. Whenever a call is placed to HDFC customer care, they DO ask card number, date of birth, address, mobile number for verification purposes. That is an extra security measure. If somebody gets hold of the card number and they call up customer care to do this and that, if they do it without verifying the caller, then later they will be in trouble. So they take that measure.

2. When a credit card is applied and office address and residence address is given, usually, the first months statement will be sent to office address. Immediately after the first months statement, one can change the address over phone itself. I have done this.

And its strange that they asked DL number. Had you given your DL as ID/Address proof? If yes, then probably they have asked that to verify again. But still its strange.

I can understand that such series of questions can be irritating. But come to think of it, I think its better that they do this way as it offers secure transactions.

My 50 paise.
Old 14th November 2009, 13:41   #304
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Which credit card least 'foreign currency transaction fee'?

Most of my cards charge in the range of 2.75 to 3.75% per transaction amount. I use my cards extensivly when abroad hence the amounts paid in fees are substantial.

One of the public sector banks has an international travel debit card. You "charge" it in Indian Rupees before commencing on the travel like you "charge" a prepaid mobile. You can take upto US$ 25,000/- (The FEMA prescribed annual limit) The exchange rate for the charge is the one prevailing on the date of the charging. The card is valid for up to 5 years; and you can contact the issuing bank/branch for recharge if you run out of foreign currency, so long as you are within the annual limit.

The card can be recharged as many times are required, within the 5 year life period.

Each "charge" costs around Rs. 1,750/- (or similar fee, in INR), and is irrespective of the amount of recharge.

That is the info I have prised out of biwi, a PSU bank employee.

Edit - +1 to ashwinsid on the cal center's verification process. I know it is a royal pain, and may not tolerate it when my phone /ISP provider asks for such things, but for credit card, they better be safe.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 14th November 2009 at 13:43.
Old 14th November 2009, 15:07   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Credit Card people can be funny fellows. Now they chase you, now they play hard to catch. It is sometimes difficult to fathom their ways. Of late HDFC had been after me to issue a free Platinum card as I am a preferred customer.

Why are you calling call center people? Just ask your personal banker/ relationship manager to do the runarounds.

In my experience with HDFC, that works best.They would just need a fax from your side or would send someone at your office to get your signatures.

OTOH : Address change is VERY sensitive.

Frauds get banks to change address and report card as lost. Duplicate card is sent to them. Which they receive with dummy ID proof. And than within few hours they start ringing up charges.
Old 22nd November 2009, 17:12   #306
BANNED

Citibank didn't approve credit card application @ first now saying try after 6 months, So If I open a bank account with them then they will Issue me a card ? Or they gonna tell me to wait 6 months even though I have account with them ?
Old 23rd November 2009, 13:47   #307
Senior - BHPian

I had a citibank salary account for 1 year.
During this one year i applied for their credit card three times. Everytime it got rejected.
I have stopped bothering those idiots now. Happy with my ICICI Titanium.
Old 27th November 2009, 22:54   #308
BANNED

Hsbc Credit Cardholders - Have your credit limit has been reduced recently ?
Old 27th November 2009, 23:09   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
yes.. From 1.5 lakhs to 90k!
And to top it all, the guy/gal who calls me comes out to have tea at the same shop as me!

Last edited by pulsar56 : 27th November 2009 at 23:11.
Old 28th November 2009, 13:24   #310
BHPian

Quote:

One of my friend got his credit limit reduced from 2L to 20 K

Cash limit made to zero
Old 6th December 2009, 09:50   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nopes. No change in HSBC card credit limit whatsover.

OT - Citibank infact, increased my credit limit!
Old 7th December 2009, 15:32   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Nopes. No change in HSBC card credit limit whatsover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
One of my friend got his credit limit reduced from 2L to 20 K

Cash limit made to zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
yes.. From 1.5 lakhs to 90k!
And to top it all, the guy/gal who calls me comes out to have tea at the same shop as me!
Yes. My Cash limit has been reduced to 20K. God knows why!
Old 7th December 2009, 17:43   #313
BHPian

@Zappo, I have given up trying to talk to the call centre guys. Nowadays, I send e-mails to them. It does take 2-3 replies back and forth but gets the job done. Most importantly you needn't spend more than 5 minutes composing a reply. If your net banking supports an email feature, try using it
Old 10th December 2009, 21:43   #314
BHPian

I had been to an ICICI branch recently and they informed me that they have stopped issuing new cards. Any recommendations? I am looking for a free card with a minimum 40-50k limit. Also, Why hasn't anyone mentioned anything about PSU banks' cards? Are they a strict no no?
Old 10th December 2009, 21:53   #315
BANNED

Ho0ligaN
I also requested for an ICICI credit card but they said me this -
"We regret to inform you that currently we are not issuing credit cards due to internal policy decision of ICICI Bank.

We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused. We request your co-operation."

Anyone knows when they will start Issuing ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks