Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2013, 09:57   #1051
BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

HDFC Credit Cards is definitely going downhill. Jokers running the show.

(Background : I have been using HDFC Credit card for the past 7 years)

I got a call from them a few weeks back about RBI's directive on chip based cards. They informed me that they will send me a *new chip based* card soon. Once I activate that card my current *non-chip* card will be blocked.

I received the new card (with a new number) from them and immediately called their Customer Care to activate the new card and cancel the old. I was told it will take 24 hours to activate the new card (I don't know why it should take 24 hours!). This has been the status since the past two weeks

1. The new card is still not activated.
2. The old card, however, has been promptly blocked.
3. Each time I call their customer care the *systems are down*.
4. Have escalated the matter thrice, the manager assures prompt action. Nothing happens
5. I received the card statement a couple of days back. The statement reflects the new credit card number and the transactions from the old card have been brought forward. However the reward points have vanished. The reward points balance is zero.

I called them again yesterday regarding the activation of new card and to check about the zero reward points. The response I got was just brilliant:

Me : "Why is the reward points balance zero"

HDFC : "Sir, your card is not activated. You will have to place a request for activating the card"

Me : "I have already placed a request more than two weeks back. I have also made follow up calls since but nothing seems to be happening"

HDFC : "Sir, as per our record no request has been taken to activate the card"

Me (frustrated) : "Fine! Now can you take the request for activation?"

HDFC : "Yes. It will take 48 hours for the card to get activated. Can I place the request for activation Sir?"

Me : "Last time I was told it takes 24 hours. Now you are saying it takes 48 hours. Anyway, please go ahead and place the request for activation"

HDFC : "Thank you Sir. May I place your call on hold Sir till I process the request?"

Me : "Yes"

HDFC : "Thank you Sir" (puts on hold and plays some stupid music)

HDFC : "Sorry Sir, our systems are down just now. Please call us back in 5-6 hours and check"

Me :
Old 11th May 2013, 10:59   #1052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
A card co. that charges that much annual fee will also have a very high minimum expense threshold. Any special benefits for this Amex Gold card?
It is an Amex card... a charge card (not a credit card). They don't have credit limits, you can charge as much as you like. So, if you want to buy an Audi or a BMW, just walk it to the showroom and swipe the card. :-)

The downside is that you have to pay off all outstanding every month. So the card company does not make any income from "interest on outstanding" and there is no concept of "revolving credit".

The lack of credit limit makes it a favourite of CEOs and the like. Amex is a bit choosey in picking their customers too.
Old 11th May 2013, 12:14   #1053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand

It is an Amex card... a charge card (not a credit card). They don't have credit limits, you can charge as much as you like. So, if you want to buy an Audi or a BMW, just walk it to the showroom and swipe the card. :-)
I have been a user of the Amex Gold for a long time now, and it's not like the card has no credit limit. The card doesn't have a preset credit limit. What this means is that AMEX constantly tracks your spending and repayment history to define a range for your credit limit. Thus if you usually spend something like a lakh or rupees a month, AMEX would most likely let you swipe a couple of lakhs on your card. Maybe more if you inform them about your purchase. But if you go and try and swipe 25-30lakhs to buy a high end car, then it wouldn't probably be accepted.
The card inspite of the renewal fee is great for people who pay their entire CC bill every month. The amex service is top notch. I have only had problems with this card in Scandinavian countries which charge an unreasonably high 'transaction' fee for AMEX customers. Also there are still a few places in India that don't take AMEX.
Old 12th May 2013, 14:25   #1054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
HDFC Credit Cards is definitely going downhill. Jokers running the show.

(Background : I have been using HDFC Credit card for the past 7 years)

I got a call from them a few weeks back about RBI's directive on chip based cards. They informed me that they will send me a *new chip based* card soon. Once I activate that card my current *non-chip* card will be blocked.

I received the new card (with a new number) from them and immediately called their Customer Care to activate the new card and cancel the old. I was told it will take 24 hours to activate the new card (I don't know why it should take 24 hours!). This has been the status since the past two weeks

1. The new card is still not activated.
2. The old card, however, has been promptly blocked.
3. Each time I call their customer care the *systems are down*.
4. Have escalated the matter thrice, the manager assures prompt action. Nothing happens
5. I received the card statement a couple of days back. The statement reflects the new credit card number and the transactions from the old card have been brought forward. However the reward points have vanished. The reward points balance is zero.

I called them again yesterday regarding the activation of new card and to check about the zero reward points. The response I got was just brilliant:

Me : "Why is the reward points balance zero"

HDFC : "Sir, your card is not activated. You will have to place a request for activating the card"

Me : "I have already placed a request more than two weeks back. I have also made follow up calls since but nothing seems to be happening"

HDFC : "Sir, as per our record no request has been taken to activate the card"

Me (frustrated) : "Fine! Now can you take the request for activation?"

HDFC : "Yes. It will take 48 hours for the card to get activated. Can I place the request for activation Sir?"

Me : "Last time I was told it takes 24 hours. Now you are saying it takes 48 hours. Anyway, please go ahead and place the request for activation"

HDFC : "Thank you Sir. May I place your call on hold Sir till I process the request?"

Me : "Yes"

HDFC : "Thank you Sir" (puts on hold and plays some stupid music)

HDFC : "Sorry Sir, our systems are down just now. Please call us back in 5-6 hours and check"

Me :
Thats really very frustrating indeed.

Even my HDFC credit card was recently changed to chip based card recently.

However when i received an intimation about it the letter clearly mentioned that old card will be deactivated in 5 days after new card is dispatched and new card will be activated, and the new card was indeed active.However i was not able to use the credit card for online transactions.After complaining about it via email the issue was resolved.They mentioned that problem was with master card.

The call centre is indeed pathetic.you are actually lucky that you could actually speak to the customer care ,whenever i tried to call i could never reach the executive and so i had to put an email.

For your problem i suggest u register a complaint based on the escalation matrix :-

link - http://www.hdfcbank.com/personal/customer-centre

since you have already complained once ,go to step 2 i.e lodge a complaint with Grievance Redressal.

The above link mentions the below phone number -

For Credit Cards call our Grievance Redressal Officer
Phone No. 044 - 23744704
Timings:
Monday to Friday - 9.30 a.m. and 5.30 p.m.
Saturday - 9.30 a.m. and 1.30 p.m.

I have never tried the above but i just hope that it helps to resolve your problem

Also try posting on their facebook wall.

Last edited by coolabhi : 12th May 2013 at 14:27. Reason: Corrected some spellings
Old 12th May 2013, 14:33   #1055
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
I received the new card (with a new number) from them and immediately called their Customer Care to activate the new card and cancel the old.
Why did you bother to call? The letter didn't ask you to request activation, did it?

I just started using it after 2-3 days and it worked. The old card also worked for next two weeks. The reward points and the balance got transferred to the new card automatically.
Old 12th May 2013, 14:49   #1056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Why did you bother to call? The letter didn't ask you to request activation, did it?
I bothered to call because the letter did ask me to request activation.
Old 12th May 2013, 14:56   #1057
Team-BHP Support

Strange, my letter didn't say anything about calling. So I didn't call.
Old 13th May 2013, 12:20   #1058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
As a policy I accept cards that have zero annual fee or very small fee like Rs. 200. But the cash back I earn wipes even this off several times over.

I'm sure you know that credit card co.s want you to spend / use their card for a certain minimum amount per year to make you eligible for a waiver, but 5000 for annual fee is astronomical. A card co. that charges that much annual fee will also have a very high minimum expense threshold. Any special benefits for this Amex Gold card?

I suggest you just dump the card. I for one have been very happy with my Stan Chart platinum. Gives me a 5% cash back for all utility bills and that adds to a tidy sum. In fact they tried to entice me with some fancy Manhattan card, but I declined.

I find cash back better than points though my SC platinum now gathers points for transactions that don't get a cash back. Win-win situation here. Of course in 20 odd years I have never missed paying on time on any card I have owned. And never ever take a loan against your card or pay short. The interest rates are crazy. Oh but you already know that...
Thanks LithiumSunset

I know it has got astronomical annual fee however i thought I could get it waived every year and also succeeded once but this time they are very keen on not waiving it off.

The card has got very good rewards structure, Just for using 4 times a month you can get 1,000 bonus points and for 18k points you can get 7.5k worth of croma voucher and many more..

I do have a Stan Chart Platinum Rewards Card and I use it depending on the statement date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Even, I faced the same thing and eventually I had to cancel the card. There is no point in paying even a penny when the card is not widely accepted.
I too think of cancelling the card but still sometimes their customer care, fraud protection, rewards makes me postpone the decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

The downside is that you have to pay off all outstanding every month. So the card company does not make any income from "interest on outstanding" and there is no concept of "revolving credit".

The lack of credit limit makes it a favourite of CEOs and the like. Amex is a bit choosey in picking their customers too.
Oh man, Charge Card still have a pre-set limit but little higher compared to normal credit cards. We cannot buy a Audi or a BMW :-).

They do make money from the transaction fee charged to the merchant. Which is higher than what Visa or Mastercard charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandasnikhil View Post
I have been a user of the Amex Gold for a long time now, and it's not like the card has no credit limit. The card doesn't have a preset credit limit. What this means is that AMEX constantly tracks your spending and repayment history to define a range for your credit limit. Thus if you usually spend something like a lakh or rupees a month, AMEX would most likely let you swipe a couple of lakhs on your card. Maybe more if you inform them about your purchase. But if you go and try and swipe 25-30lakhs to buy a high end car, then it wouldn't probably be accepted.
The card inspite of the renewal fee is great for people who pay their entire CC bill every month. The amex service is top notch. I have only had problems with this card in Scandinavian countries which charge an unreasonably high 'transaction' fee for AMEX customers. Also there are still a few places in India that don't take AMEX.
I have used more than 8 Banks Credit Cards and Amex Customer Service comes to top in their service. I had few fraud billing after my Malaysia Trip and they just reversed everything within a day and resolved the issue in a month.
Old 13th May 2013, 14:35   #1059
BANNED

@coolabhi; They are not interested in the commission (2.5%) the banks make. You are in a limbo, which is painful. Also, can be tricky if God forbid, you have some medical emergency, the hospital may not take you in till the card is swiped!!!
Old 13th May 2013, 19:45   #1060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
Oh man, Charge Card still have a pre-set limit but little higher compared to normal credit cards. We cannot buy a Audi or a BMW :-).
You actually can, if you are in the right income bracket. I didn't quote the car scenario lightly; I know someone who did something similar to that (the American expat CEO of the company I was working for while in Hyderabad; he created a flutter by swiping his Amex card for a brand new Skoda Superb).

The point I wished to make was this: if you were to swipe for a car, then the most likely card in your wallet with which you'd do that would be an Amex one.
Old 14th May 2013, 16:34   #1061
BHPian

Just got a call from HDFC. They are offering Visa Signature Card as I belong to one of the 'Corporate'.

Things that are promised are:
1) Zero annual fees
2) Zero joining fees
3) No fuel surcharge at any fuel station
4) 5% Cash backs at shopping malls (only some places).
5) Other benefits of Signature Card as advertised

I filled in the form which confirmed the zero fees (Life Time Free), which is good.

Only concern I have is - credit limit offered will be high. Planning to call them and lower the limit once I get the card, though, not sure if it can be lowered much.
Old 14th May 2013, 17:33   #1062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
1) Zero annual fees
2) Zero joining fees
3) No fuel surcharge at any fuel station
5) Other benefits of Signature Card as advertised
I have one of these cards. For (2), you have to spend Rs. 15K in the first three months. For (1), you have to spend Rs. 50K in the previous year to qualify for it in the next year. For (3), each bill has to be between Rs. 500 & Rs. 4000. Also for (3), you have to be very careful as they charge the surcharge and service tax, and then apply a credit - but they don't do the credit part promptly or accurately.
Old 14th May 2013, 17:39   #1063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post

Only concern I have is - credit limit offered will be high. Planning to call them and lower the limit once I get the card, though, not sure if it can be lowered much.
At which shopping malls? Pls post once you can get the answer.

Also, why do you want to reduce the credit limit? Higher the limit, better the CIBIL score (IF you pay up full payment every month, which I think you will.)

I too have same card for past few years. Excellent service so far, though I don't have any cashback offer!
Old 14th May 2013, 17:47   #1064
J.Ravi

Just now, I redeemed 30,500 points for a Prestige Induction Cook-Top worth~Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Views: 624
Size:  578 Bytes4,495 and kitchen set worth Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Size:  578 Bytes2,420, earned mostly from my Axis Bank Priority Credit Card. This is apart from getting 25% cash back on movie tickets. In Chennai Sathyam cinema complex, each ticket costsName:  rupeesymbol.gif
Size:  578 Bytes 120 only and out of that, I get back Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Size:  578 Bytes30, the net cost beingName:  rupeesymbol.gif
Size:  578 Bytes90 per head! I also get surcharge-free petrol at petrol pumps, although with some strings attached!

Old 15th May 2013, 10:51   #1065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Higher the limit, better the CIBIL score (IF you pay up full payment every month, which I think you will.)
Is that true? I couldn't find any reference for this. This page says that only the level of "current balance" (current unpaid amount) matters, not the credit limit.

Most Viewed