Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2013, 09:54   #1021
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
I learnt that few banks are moving towards Chip Cards now, has anyone so far seen a Chip Enabled Merchant terminal in India yet?
Not sure which merchant locations you went to. Chip reader terminals were present in India even in 2004-06, when I was living in the UK and had used my cards (debit & credit) from there at shops in places like Calicut. Today at a guess, I'd say 90%+ of the PoS devices in India are Chip-enabled.

The only concern is that the salesperson usually attempts a swipe first; then the terminal tells him/her to use the Chip slot. So the security features of the Chip card are lost completely. I have taken to informing the salesperson to use the Chip card slot before handing over my credit card these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
And are those Chip transactions being settled thorugh MC/VISA or through a new payment processor (such as Interac in Canada)?
Interac is not a payment processor - it is a debit card network. MC has Cirrus, Visa has Plus as competitors (and India has NPCI which runs the Rupay network). Chip transactions are processed through MC/Visa I guess, but what it really depends on is to which network the issuing bank hooked the card. I had read that by end of last year, all PSU banks should have been on Rupay network (which would be a good thing all round, btw).
Old 19th April 2013, 12:27   #1022
Team-BHP Support

So I get this phone call from some guy.

I have been selected for 4 special offers due to my outstanding credit score and fantastic credit card usage history and blah blah blah...

The offers:
1. A holiday in 5 star resort. All I have to do is pay 6,xxx. They will give cashback of 4,xxx
2. A Giordano watch. Don't know how much I have to pay for this.
3. A special card that will give me 30% off in a lot of stores.
4. Did not get to this offer.

After 5 mins into the call. I spell it out to the guy. N. O. T. not authorizing any charges on my card.

Poor fellow was disappointed but then again, I am not going to authorize a credit card over the phone.

This is the first time I received such a phone call. Wonder what it is about.
Old 19th April 2013, 12:36   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

I have been selected for 4 special offers due to my outstanding credit score and fantastic credit card usage history and blah blah blah...

The offers:
1. A holiday in 5 star resort. All I have to do is pay 6,xxx. They will give cashback of 4,xxx
2. A Giordano watch. Don't know how much I have to pay for this.
3. A special card that will give me 30% off in a lot of stores.
4. Did not get to this offer.

After 5 mins into the call. I spell it out to the guy. N. O. T. not authorizing any charges on my card.

Poor fellow was disappointed but then again, I am not going to authorize a credit card over the phone.

Looks like the mods are being targeted for these schemes . Link to Mobike008's experience
Old 19th April 2013, 12:51   #1024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I got a similar call about 2 months ago. The final result was the same...I clearly said NO.

But, during the course of the call, the person was making so many offers, and so much usage of the word "free" and "special discount" that I did get tempted to go for it.

But the moment he said that there will be payment upfront (and then later cashback), all the temptation vanished, and I said NO.
Old 19th April 2013, 13:57   #1025
BHPian

Are there any Bank Of India credit card users here?

I was wondering how to make most out of the points. They seem to be offering only cashback option with the credit card. No other rewards.

I am holding this card for almost 10 yrs now and now thinking that other banks may be offering better products.

Any views / suggestions?
Old 19th April 2013, 15:01   #1026

Due to my frequent travel due to work, i prefer a credit card that would give me benefits in terms of airine miles in lieu of my spending. Hence i got the CITI Premier Miles Credit Card last year in August.
It is a really good card. Charged me an annual fees of 3,000 rupees. In return i got:
- 10,000 joining miles (as good as 5,000 rupees when you buy an airline ticket)
- 2 base fare waived off vouchers to buy airline ticket
I am very satisfied with it.
Recently being a HDFC Bank preferred customer, they gave me HDFC JET platinum CC for free (ideally a fees of around 1,600 per annum). This directly gives me the benefit of accruing miles to JET Previlege while spending.

To be honest, both these cards are really great in their own terms and you are always benefited if you travel more frequently. Thanks to both of them due to which my every alternate trip is upgraded to Business class in lieu of earned miles
Old 25th April 2013, 01:55   #1027
BHPian

I presently use a HDFC Visa Signature world card for which i pay Rs.399 as annual charges and get 2 reward points on every Rs.150 spent.
I have an average credit card bill of Rs.25000 a month. I was looking for a better card from HDFC , some card which has better reward points as i already have accumulated around 12000 points.

Can someone suggest me a card having high reward points and a low annual fee to which i can migrate ?

Apart from this, are there any diners club card holders here on team bhp ?
How's Your experience with diners clubs, i mean the acceptability(in Delhi) ?

Thanks in advance
Old 25th April 2013, 02:26   #1028
JLS
BHPian

Standard Charterd Platinum Menhatten card has 5 reward points on every 100 Rs spent. Also at select super stores, it gives 5% cash back.
999 Annual charges

I think for your usage, it will be a right fit

Regards,
JLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
I presently use a HDFC Visa Signature world card for which i pay Rs.399 as annual charges and get 2 reward points on every Rs.150 spent.
I have an average credit card bill of Rs.25000 a month. I was looking for a better card from HDFC , some card which has better reward points as i already have accumulated around 12000 points.

Can someone suggest me a card having high reward points and a low annual fee to which i can migrate ?

Thanks in advance
Old 25th April 2013, 02:50   #1029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
Standard Charterd Platinum Menhatten card has 5 reward points on every 100 Rs spent. Also at select super stores, it gives 5% cash back.
999 Annual charges

I think for your usage, it will be a right fit

Regards,
JLS
Thanks JLS for the prompt response
But actually i was looking for a card by HDFC bank only, as i have a bank account in hdfc, plus as mentioned i already have 12000 reward points on my HDFC credit card which can only be redeemed or can be transferred to an HDFC card.
Old 25th April 2013, 22:57   #1030
Senior - BHPian

We have discussed security of chip and pin cards here. Now, this comes in my RSS reader:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...-winnipeg.html
Old 26th April 2013, 10:39   #1031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
We have discussed security of chip and pin cards here. Now..
This is not about chip cards, this issue is with cards equipped with NFC.

AFAIK, no such card is issued in India at the moment.
Old 26th April 2013, 12:11   #1032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post

Thanks in advance
Yes I have a diners club card , Experience with it ? Well Ahem they stopped giving acess to free airport lounges after global recession so primary USP of getting diners club card is killed.

About acceptability in India Airltel website and few other websites accept it so I use for that sometimes. I don't even bother to ask anymore if it is accepted in brick and mortar world.
I am holding it just because it's free just like all other cards I have.

My first principle is that there should be no annual fee for the Card.
So for HDFC card. I would say encash / utilize those 12000 points and get a card like ICICI-HP or ICICI-IOC card which comes free and allows you to fill fuel with no surcharge.

Last edited by amitk26 : 26th April 2013 at 12:12.
Old 26th April 2013, 12:46   #1033
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
get a card like ICICI-HP or ICICI-IOC card which comes free and allows you to fill fuel with no surcharge.
HDFC is far better than these two cards, because there is no fuel surcharge at any fuel station . There is restriction at all where to fuel. Further it is also free if one spends a minimum amount per year.

It is not limited to HPCL or IOCL fuel stations.
Old 27th April 2013, 02:23   #1034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post

Yes I have a diners club card , Experience with it ? Well Ahem they stopped giving acess to free airport lounges after global recession so primary USP of getting diners club card is killed.

About acceptability in India Airltel website and few other websites accept it so I use for that sometimes. I don't even bother to ask anymore if it is accepted in brick and mortar world.
I am holding it just because it's free just like all other cards I have.

My first principle is that there should be no annual fee for the Card.
So for HDFC card. I would say encash / utilize those 12000 points and get a card like ICICI-HP or ICICI-IOC card which comes free and allows you to fill fuel with no surcharge.
Thanks for the reply Amit.

Actually i was wanting an hdfc card so as to add more points to my account. I already have 12000 ponits, i could get an ipod touch at 18000 or may be a blackberry phone at 23000. I haven't redeemed any of my points yet, and this idea came to my mind seeing the catalogue they sent me along my statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post

HDFC is far better than these two cards, because there is no fuel surcharge at any fuel station . There is restriction at all where to fuel. Further it is also free if one spends a minimum amount per year.

It is not limited to HPCL or IOCL fuel stations.
They exempt the annual fee for my visa signature if i spend Rs.50000 in the whole year.
For most other its Rs.1,50,000.

Last edited by satyamkaushik : 27th April 2013 at 02:26.
Old 28th April 2013, 20:25   #1035
BHPian

satyamkaushik : check for an upgrade to the HDFC Bank Regalia card.
1)4 reward points for Rs.150
2)1 reward point = 75 paise value for flight tickets (any airline, any sector) or hotel reservations worldwide
3)Priority Pass membership with 5 complimentary visits per year
4)Joining fee waived
5)Forex markup fee 2%
6)Renewal fee 5k waived basis spends of 5L p.a

The conversion of reward points is directly to flight ticket purchase & is better than the air mile option on other cards

Check with your bank RM

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks