Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2023, 19:55   #631
BHPian

Re: Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
On the revised rates, found it very irrational to be charged Rs240/ from Pune to Lonavla while the toll for full distance of expressway is Rs. 320/.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
So, if one does a break journey from Mumbai to Pune, they would end up paying 480 as opposed to 320 of a non stop journey.

Does not sound fair. It does not appear as toll charges for what you use, but a profit making scheme.
There is no logic here and they don’t care.
Perhaps, they want to keep the traffic other than intercity off the road!

Previously, the first toll while entering expressway was lesser one and the last one was higher amount, so you paid full price if you drive the whole length.

Also, break of journey at Lonavla and re-entering gets charged again! No wonder so many use the illegal entry exit near Khopoli.

The ghat section is in chaos just due to sheer number of vehicles especially on long weekends.
Literally crawled at 5kmph for 30minutes and got MIL(DPF related) lamp on car. Of all the places , I didn’t know expect on this expressway.
rd18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 09:30   #632
Senior - BHPian

2 hours closure (12:00 - 2:00 PM) of the expressway scheduled today.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...4.cms?from=mdr
Old 8th December 2023, 21:01   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
2 hours closure (12:00 - 2:00 PM) of the expressway scheduled today.
These days these blocks are getting frequent and the problem is the announcement of closure comes in the newspapers only on the same day.

This is making it impossible to plan the travel. Isn't there any way of knowing the closure a bit more in advance?
mayuresh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 21:08   #634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
These days these blocks are getting frequent and the problem is the announcement of closure comes in the newspapers only on the same day.

This is making it impossible to plan the travel. Isn't there any way of knowing the closure a bit more in advance?
Sometimes this site publishes the schedule of the blocks a day in advance, but again, not guaranteed.

https://www.punekarnews.in/mumbai-pu...-details-here/

Another option is to check with the Expressway helpline 98224 98224. But your guess is as good as mine, as to whether even they will have the latest info about the e-way closures .
Old 19th December 2023, 12:44   #635

Hi everyone!!

Of late I have observed that the repairs undertaken on the Mumbai - Pune expressway (both sides) are of inferior quality than the original concrete slabs. They are quite uneven and give a very jittery feeling while driving in my car (2016 Elite i20 diesel). While I understand that my car has somewhat of a stiffer suspension I dont really feel unsettled on expressway patches that are older. So my question to people owning cars with suspension on the stiffer side is that do you feel your cars wobbling or unable to absorb unevenness of the newly laid concrete patches of road particularly at high speeds (around 100 kmph)?
AnuragK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 11:31   #636
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnuragK View Post
Hi everyone!!

Of late I have observed that the repairs undertaken on the Mumbai - Pune expressway (both sides) are of inferior quality than the original concrete slabs. They are quite uneven and give a very jittery feeling while driving in my car (2016 Elite i20 diesel). While I understand that my car has somewhat of a stiffer suspension I dont really feel unsettled on expressway patches that are older. So my question to people owning cars with suspension on the stiffer side is that do you feel your cars wobbling or unable to absorb unevenness of the newly laid concrete patches of road particularly at high speeds (around 100 kmph)?
On cars with stiffer suspension it feels like the car is going to fly off the road. My layman understanding is that the original expressway was laid with a PQC machine, and now what they are doing is basic patchwork. Infact its horrible, just like all the other concrete roads being made all over Maharashtra.
Akshay1234 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 15:31   #637

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
My layman understanding is that the original expressway was laid with a PQC machine, and now what they are doing is basic patchwork.
Thank you! Its indeed not upto the mark of the older concrete slabs. Somewhere I feel that the original concrete has stood up quite well, but still they are digging it up for so called repairs . Also, relieved to hear that my cars suspension is probably fine.
Old 25th December 2023, 11:14   #638
Senior - BHPian

Burning clutches or overheated engines. Mumbai - Pune Expressway takes toll on Kias, Hyundais, Marutis, Jeeps, Hondas, Toyotas, Tatas during this long weekend rush.

https://x.com/rushikesh_agre_/status...308697868?s=20
Old 27th December 2023, 15:31   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Burning clutches or overheated engines. Mumbai - Pune Expressway takes toll on Kias, Hyundais, Marutis, Jeeps, Hondas, Toyotas, Tatas during this long weekend rush.
We drove to Pune on the 23rd and it took us 5 hours from Dadar to Baner. Started at 3.10 pm and reached destination in Baner at 8.20 with a drive-in break at McD kalamboli. Saw a lot of overheated cars in the Ghats ( a mix of new cars and old).
I was wondering if they all ran out of coolant till I saw it on the news yesterday.I actually briefly stopped after Lonavala to check my coolant levels, however my car is almost new and has barely done 1000 kms since June/July.
So were all these stalled vehicles Manual transmission driving on half clutch leading to heated clutch plate? Were we spared due to the IVT transmission and/or Stop-Start feature that the Kia has or maybe because I was shifting to Neutral and had my AC off briefly.
Would love theories on the causes that stalled those vehicles.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 27th December 2023 at 15:33.
Old 27th December 2023, 19:12   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
We drove to Pune on the 23rd and it took us 5 hours from Dadar to Baner. Started at 3.10 pm and reached destination in Baner at 8.20 with a drive-in break at McD kalamboli. Saw a lot of overheated cars in the Ghats ( a mix of new cars and old).

Would love theories on the causes that stalled those vehicles.
Follow this thread for several theories: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-possible.html (25+ cars broken down with hood open in Lonavla | Is this possible?)
Old 27th December 2023, 20:52   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post

https://x.com/rushikesh_agre_/status...308697868?s=20
On a lighter note, that was a good real world test for the vehicles in extreme conditions. I wonder how the DCT fared.

Seeing the news of cars crawling for 3 hours was horrifying. I know how much stress that puts.

Around 7-8 years back, on an weekend I took 7 hours to drive from Pune to Mumbai. A day back there was a landslide which killed two persons and the expressway was closed. On Sunday while returning back, I saw cars deliberating on the start of expressway whether to take that or not. I went by the old highway. Till Lonavala decent speed. But after that he'll started. It was bumper traffic throughout. Only after reaching Khopoli took expressway by then I was totally exhausted.

Next day came to know my colleague had taken the expressway. He was stopped for 2-3 hours but after that rest expressway opened and had a smooth ride whereas I didn't get even a single minute of rest on the road. Much more exhaustion
Old 30th December 2023, 00:31   #642

Data by MSRDC about the vehicles on Old Mumbai Pune Highway and MPE on 23,24,25 December Long Weekend. Expressway: 6.08 Lakh Vehicles and Old Highway: 3.62 Lakh Vehicles. Pune Bound Traffic was 65% and Mumbai Bound Traffic was 35%.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../106363081.cms
cartrail is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 12:05   #643
BHPian

This Saturday I was travelling to Pune and at Khalapur, I was told there was insufficient balance in my Fastag and asked to pay Rs.240 in cash. As I had just crossed the MTHL and Rs.250 was deducted, I gave in assuming balance was low and paid the amount and also got the receipt. Now next at Talegaon, Rs.240 gets deducted instead of Rs.80 from Fastag.
Post reaching Pune, I check my Fastag A/c and realise there was more than enough balance for the Fastag to work at Khalapur. They are just collecting in cash to loot Rs.240 + Rs.240 instead of the Rs.320 if it was a continuous journey. Have raised a dispute, will need to wait and see if anything comes out of it.
aa1997 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 09:04   #644
BHPian

https://www.timesnownews.com/mumbai/...-109495229/amp

Speed limit increased to 60 km/ hr from 50 km/hr on ghat section.Thank god better sense prevail. It was impossible to manage 50km/ hr speed on ghat. Always had a fear someone rear ending. Fast is dangerous but slow is not always safe.

Last edited by Satkaj : 23rd April 2024 at 09:07.
Satkaj is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 09:21   #645
Team-BHP Support

Somewhat of a relief but honestly even 70 kmph wouldn’t be remiss for cars. The ghat is not a twisty, narrow and steep mountain road. It’s still a 6 lane expressway with a fairly modest gradient.

The authorities in charge of this are literally running a banana republic, aimed primarily at revenue collection via fines rather than commuter safety. Else we’d have seen much better accountability for the road condition and O&M works quality of the expressway.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks