Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2022, 07:40   #586
BHPian

Re: Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)

Most of the required documents are already digitised and reside in the Govt database.

RC/TC
Insurance
PUC

The sensible thing to do is scan the number plate when you enter the Expressway via CCTV (tech already exists) and lookup for document validity. If any discrepancy is found, flag the number plate and those vehicles can be pulled aside at either of the toll booths.

This manual checking farce must stop.
RedTerrano is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 09:31   #587
Senior - BHPian

Nearly 4,000 traffic violations on Mumbai-Pune stretch in 25 days.

Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)-c7d4b2143ef44f54aa0734d4accbce55.jpeg

Source: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/96530808.cms
Old 31st December 2022, 12:33   #588
BHPian

Well I had the chance to drive to Thane and back last week. The drive to Thane was alright and I kept the needle below 100. Reached Thane in approximately 3 hours without stopping anywhere. Some vehicles were driving well above the speed limit but most of the vehicles were at or around 100. I guess the speed cameras are working somewhat.

The return journey was a different story. We began from Thane at 5 PM and reached Pune at 09.30 PM.

As soon as we hit the ghat section, we encountered a massive jam which lasted for 40-50 mins. All this was due to heavy vehicles driving in all three lanes, many times 3 trucks driving abreast of each other. No patrol vehicles encountered in the entire journey although we did see two wheelers (scooty mind you not bikes).
luvDriving is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 08:22   #589
Senior - BHPian

The expressway saw more crash deaths in 2022 than in 2021.

Quote:
The stretch between Kiwale toll post and Amrutanjan Point on the Pune-Mumbai expressway saw as many as 28 road accident deaths last year, up from 22 in 2021.

A review of accident data along this stretch, which is monitored by the Pune unit of the Highway Safety Patrol, showed there were 26 fatalities in 2020 and 37 in 2019, before the Covid-19 curbs on travel were enforced.
Officials with the HSP said most of last year's 28 deaths - from 23 crashes - were the result of over-speeding and human error. Lata Phad, superintendent of police with the HSP's Pune unit, said, "Nearly 90% of the accidents in which there were fatalities involved light motor vehicles ramming into heavy vehicles that were either stationary or moving in front of them."
Source: https://m.timesofindia.com/city/pune...w/96839958.cms
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 10:43   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Nearly 90% of the accidents in which there were fatalities involved light motor vehicles ramming into heavy vehicles that were either stationary or moving in front of them.
This is exactly why proper analysis of root cause is mandatory before publishing any statistics.

Considering there is a dedicated lane for heavy vehicles, from the above statement, we can deduce
  1. The heavy vehicle had stopped in the expressway, which is forbidden.
  2. The heavy vehicle had strayed into another lane, which is forbidden.
  3. The light vehicle had strayed into the heavy vehicle lane, which is forbidden.

Looks like a case of not following lane discipline either way. Why is over speeding cited as one of the causes?
Is there any actual scientific data (speed gun) available for the speed argument? If yes, what action did the law enforcement agencies take on those vehicles?
RedTerrano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 11:04   #591
BANNED

Anyone who has traveled on the Mumbai Pune Expressway recently, is fast tag required for the toll booths or can we pay cash at all the toll booths on the way?
Old 11th February 2023, 11:05   #592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Anyone who has traveled on the Mumbai Pune Expressway recently, is fast tag required for the toll booths or can we pay cash at all the toll booths on the way?
All toll booths on the expressway are FASTag enabled. However I have seen some cars pay by cash as well. No sure if it’s the same amount or penalty amount.
Old 11th February 2023, 15:18   #593
BANNED

Quote:
All toll booths on the expressway are FASTag enabled. However I have seen some cars pay by cash as well. No sure if it’s the same amount or penalty amount.
Are there separate tollbooths for cash? Is it clearly labeled?
Old 11th February 2023, 18:46   #594
One
BHPian

Quote:
I recently travelled and didn't realise my Fast tag had no balance.

Was in the regular lane, the booth operator told me he wasn't going to scan the fast tag as it would imply the regular double amount of toll to be paid. He took cash from me and gave the regular receipt as well.

I was surprised why he did it but thanked him and moved on.

Not sure if this answers your question with 100% certitude of if it was a relatively rare case.
Old 11th February 2023, 19:49   #595
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Was in the regular lane,
What is a regular lane?

Quote:

the booth operator told me he wasn't going to scan the fast tag as it would imply the regular double amount of toll to be paid.
I don't understand this at all.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 22:37   #596
One
BHPian

Quote:
Are there separate tollbooths for cash? Is it clearly labeled?
Quote:
What is a regular lane?
I meant it was a lane where Fast Tag identification was happening (am not sure if there are cash only lanes)

Quote:
Was in the regular lane, the booth operator told me he wasn't going to scan the fast tag as it would imply the regular double amount of toll to be paid.
Quote:
I don't understand this at all.
If he scanned my Fast Tag to charge toll amount, I would have been charged double the toll amount as I had no balance (It would have shown a negative rupee amount in my Fast Tag wallet as it was already at ₹0)

He instead asked me to pay regular toll amount in cash, gave a proper toll receipt, and let me pass through.

I have no idea why he did it or if it is a regular affair at that toll booth.

Last edited by One : 11th February 2023 at 22:38.
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 13:54   #597
BHPian

I need to travel from Mumbai to Pune on Friday, starting 6 pm. How is the traffic on Friday evenings ? Is it manageable or need to be avoided ?
Ravindra M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 14:14   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
I need to travel from Mumbai to Pune on Friday, starting 6 pm. How is the traffic on Friday evenings ? Is it manageable or need to be avoided ?
It all depends from where you start in Mumbai. Reaching the expressway in peak hours is the challenge. Once on the expressway things would be flowing.
Old 16th February 2023, 14:28   #599
BHPian

Quote:
It all depends from where you start in Mumbai. Reaching the expressway in peak hours is the challenge. Once on the expressway things would be flowing.
Starting from Vikroli, exiting Godrej offices directly onto Eastern Express highway. I anticipate delays at Vashi toll gate. Worried about expressway.
Ravindra M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 15:48   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
Starting from Vikroli, exiting Godrej offices directly onto Eastern Express highway. I anticipate delays at Vashi toll gate. Worried about expressway.
Reaching Panvel entry of expressway by 6pm would be best if possible.
Saturday is Public holiday due to Mahashivratri, so expect more than usual traffic on Friday evening post 6pm. Lots of people will be visiting their Native place to visit temples and weekenders will be out amass too.
Usually except the Ghat sections, there is not a lot of traffic on the e-way regardless of heavy tirefall

People who get stuck on Ghat sections tend to overspeed a bit later on. So beware of the speed cams and the crazy zigzaggers.
PrasadS is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks