Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2017, 17:49   #466
Team-BHP Support

Re: Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Can anyone please explain to me with the help of an image what exactly is being planned here ??
This is what I saw today on my drive back on the expressway:

Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)-img_9342.jpg

Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)-img_9343.jpg

Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)-img_9344.jpg

Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)-img_9345.jpg

Vertical poles are already placed in a lot of places. Separated by a few hundred meters. They have a mount for bolting on a horizontal bar. Each of these may be between 10-14 feet in height. The primary goal is to restrict trucks and tall pickup trucks from entering the fast lane. I hope the implementation is done neatly to avoid any mishaps.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 09:43   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

Vertical poles are already placed in a lot of places. Separated by a few hundred meters. They have a mount for bolting on a horizontal bar. Each of these may be between 10-14 feet in height. The primary goal is to restrict trucks and tall pickup trucks from entering the fast lane. I hope the implementation is done neatly to avoid any mishaps.
The poles and boards were installed a few months back. If you look closely the horizontal, flexible parts have already been hit (and in most places destroyed) by trucks and buses.

This is a great initiative by the highway authorities. But sadly like most of these great schemes, I don't think it was followed through. I couple of Bus/Truck drivers must have realized that the poles were either going to break easily or get shoved out of the way and the remaining drivers followed suit and destroyed them.

Maybe - we need ones that re not flexible! If implemented properly, this will really help with flow of traffic up the ghats.
Samir Taheer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 09:45   #468
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
The poles and boards were installed a few months back. If you look closely the horizontal, flexible parts have already been hit (and in most places destroyed) by trucks and buses.

This is a great initiative by the highway authorities. But sadly like most of these great schemes, I don't think it was followed through. I couple of Bus/Truck drivers must have realized that the poles were either going to break easily or get shoved out of the way and the remaining drivers followed suit and destroyed them.

Maybe - we need ones that re not flexible! If implemented properly, this will really help with flow of traffic up the ghats.
Thanks for the correction Samir. It looked like work in progress as I passed it. However, a few more bhpians confirmed that the proof of concept from highway authorities was already a giant failure.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 14:27   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the correction Samir. It looked like work in progress as I passed it. However, a few more bhpians confirmed that the proof of concept from highway authorities was already a giant failure.
The design needs a minor tweak. Instead of the flexible barrier, a glove should come in through the driver window and punch him/ her strongly enough to break a few teeth
selfdrive is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 13:23   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing these pics. I had seen the poles being installed just about 3 or 4 days later when I had posted my query here but was lazy to come back and post here. So as Sameer said, these were installed few months back itself and at a very first glance I could figure out the horizontal flexible bars were already hit by trucks or buses. Since then, the poles and the warning boards have been lying there just that way.

At present, the most effective way of smoothening traffic on Mumbai--Pune Expressway seems to be by holding up the large trailers and trucks from plying on the Eway during day time. It's very common these days to spot a huge line up of trucks parked on either shoulder lanes on E-way when you are driving in daylight. Highway police is doing their job well in this regard.
Old 5th August 2017, 15:37   #471
Senior - BHPian

The bigger question is how do you discipline these drivers/vehicles. Halting them by the roadside is only a temporary solution. It delays the vehicles and also creates traffic jams when these vehicles are released onto the road, because they will still not conform to the lane discipline.
Old 7th August 2017, 14:33   #472
BHPian

Re: Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway - Review needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Most of the E-way hardly there are any safety signs seen but huge billboards of real estate projects.
Which is also a serious hazard. These advertisements attract attention of the driver and co-passengers. Just like the bars/wine shops on highways, there needs to be a regulation regarding these on highways too.

I have myself experienced my attention getting diverted in reading these advertisements and I felt scared looking back at the road realising what was I just doing.

This could lead to accidents, veering off the lanes or failing to notice an emergency situation on the road.

Thank god at least for now they are using Milind Gunaji only. The moment they start putting hot actresses on those boards, there's going to be mayhem.
Old 7th August 2017, 16:05   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingyukeit View Post
Which is also a serious hazard. These advertisements attract attention of the driver and co-passengers. Just like the bars/wine shops on highways, there needs to be a regulation regarding these on highways too.

Thank god at least for now they are using Milind Gunaji only. The moment they start putting hot actresses on those boards, there's going to be mayhem.
By that logic, following things should also be banned!

1. Other cars on the road - I frequently watch the other cars on the road. What if my attention is diverted by a shining red Ferrari or a stunning blue Zen? Could lead to accidents.

2. Greenery - scenic routes are always a driving hazard as a driver may be induced to take in the natural beauty and lose focus on the road.

3. Mountains - a driver may be tempted to look at mountains, and even a momentary lapse could be catastrophic

4. Sea - again, looking at the sea will detract the driver feom the job at hand

5. Other passengers in the car - big distraction. What if they chatted with the driver and distracted his attention?

6. Just about every other thing you can think of - human mind is inquisitive by nature and will be distracted at the slightest inclination. Better safe than sorry.

Also at every kilometre, there should be checkposts which will keep the driver alert and focussed. The speeds should be a mere 20kmph where even a collision between two vehicles will be non fatal.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 17:36   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post

1. Other cars on the road - I frequently watch the other cars on the road. What if my attention is diverted by a shining red Ferrari or a stunning blue Zen? Could lead to accidents.

2. Greenery - scenic routes are always a driving hazard as a driver may be induced to take in the natural beauty and lose focus on the road.

3. Mountains - a driver may be tempted to look at mountains, and even a momentary lapse could be catastrophic

4. Sea - again, looking at the sea will detract the driver feom the job at hand

5. Other passengers in the car - big distraction. What if they chatted with the driver and distracted his attention?

6. Just about every other thing you can think of - human mind is inquisitive by nature and will be distracted at the slightest inclination. Better safe than sorry.

Also at every kilometre, there should be checkposts which will keep the driver alert and focussed. The speeds should be a mere 20kmph where even a collision between two vehicles will be non fatal.
I thought people on this forum are smart. Let's teach you about advertising first. Advertisements are designed to draw attention. They entice an action from the viewer, which might result in a sale. Considering the ad has something relevant to a driver, he will not want to miss out on the info. That's distracting.

Now coming to your points:

1. Unless these Ferraris and Zens are flying 30 metres above ground at least 30 metres away either side of the road, I don't see your point? Must say it's really difficult to focus on the road looking at other cars on the road!

2,3,4. If natural beauty around is so distracting take a moment and bask it all in. That's a better thing to do. In case of the expressway, stop at a food joint. Or go to Lonavla/Khandala.

I have seen lesser accidents on the Great Ocean Road in Australia which goes right by the ocean for an entire stretch.

5. Unless the people in your car are playing volleyball or throwing hot coffee on you, I don't see how talking can be distracting. It in fact helps in situations where the driver may get sleepy.

Here is something worth reading for you.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-highways.html

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/54302400.cms

These are old articles I know, but unless people have magically started not getting distracted in the last 2 years, the arguments will still hold valid.

Also, if you want to pick on someone, try to make sense so there is a healthier discussion.
Old 7th August 2017, 17:50   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought people on this forum are smart.

1. Unless these Ferraris and Zens are flying 30 metres above ground at least 30 metres away either side of the road, I don't see your point? Must say it's really difficult to focus on the road looking at other cars on the road!

Also, if you want to pick on someone, try to make sense so there is a healthier discussion.
Umm, count me out of the smart ones on this forum. No point pretending to be one.

About distractions, if you visit the Accidents In India thread, you will find ample evidence that people do not need hoardings 30 meters away and 30 meters high to distract them. So there are bigger distractions to fight than advertising hoardings.

Whatever gave you the idea someone is trying to pick one another, one needs to be open minded to have a healthier discussion. 'My way or the highway' won't elicit a healthy discussion.

So instead of getting into an ego bash, I would like to get back to the discussion on how the heavy vehicles on the expressway, or indeed any of the other highways in the country, be disciplined to allow smooth vehicular movement.
Old 7th August 2017, 18:25   #476
BHPian

Quote:
About distractions, if you visit the Accidents In India thread, you will find ample evidence that people do not need hoardings 30 meters away and 30 meters high to distract them. So there are bigger distractions to fight than advertising hoardings.
What I was saying was they cause distractions. It can be problematic, especially on highways where the speeds are high. People do not need hoardings to get distracted, doesn't mean they aren't getting distracted by them either. Right?

Quote:
Whatever gave you the idea someone is trying to pick one another, one needs to be open minded to have a healthier discussion. 'My way or the highway' won't elicit a healthy discussion.
Exactly my point. That sarcasm-filled post you made wasn't doing that.
Old 8th August 2017, 10:23   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..... That sarcasm-filled post you made wasn't doing that.
Touchy, aren't we Don't take things personally - this forum is meant for sharing and discussion .....

Quote:
.... for now they are using Milind Gunaji only. The moment they start putting hot actresses on those boards, there's going to be mayhem.
I guess one would expect a (good and sensible) driver to keep an eye on the road and traffic around, rather than letting it wander around.

Quote:

..... Just about every other thing you can think of - human mind is inquisitive by nature and will be distracted at the slightest inclination. Better safe than sorry ......
I fully concur with your views - to me, even the MID on today's cars is a distraction. It is even more irritating when the driver to sees the call alert (on the synced MID) and tries to find out who is calling. Many a times, as a co-passenger, I have berated my friends to get rid of this habit. You want to talk? Pull over and talk.

Coming back to the e-way, what is the status of land slides this year. Last year a full lane was blocked for installing the iron netting - hope that effort was not wasted.

Also, what about the news that the Amrutanjan bridge was to be dismantled?
Old 8th August 2017, 10:49   #478
Senior - BHPian

Maratha Kranti Morcha rally to be held tomorrow in Mumbai. Expect the e-way to be packed with vehicles going to Mumbai from various places in Maharashtra.

http://www.firstpost.com/india/marat...s-3478735.html

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 8th August 2017, 11:58   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Maratha Kranti Morcha rally to be held tomorrow in Mumbai.
Read in local newspapers that vehicle travelling to Mumbai and back for this morcha will be exempt from tolls. Couldn't read about the details. Would this also apply to expressway as well? Would be a massive mess in that case.
Old 10th August 2017, 12:13   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Touchy, aren't we Don't take things personally - this forum is meant for sharing and discussion .....
Not touchy, I don't mind sarcasm, it wasn't eliciting a healthy discussion is what I said. Anyways.

Quote:
- to me, even the MID on today's cars is a distraction. It is even more irritating when the driver to sees the call alert (on the synced MID) and tries to find out who is calling. Many a times, as a co-passenger, I have berated my friends to get rid of this habit. You want to talk? Pull over and talk.
I guess a good and sensible driver wouldn't have a problem keeping eyes on the road in any case. But I agree, if it's so important, pull over and talk as much as you want. Simple. Or don't sync your phone in the first place.

Quote:
Also, what about the news that the Amrutanjan bridge was to be dismantled?
I guess no more news on that after last hearing of the razing. Someone who has first hand information by visiting can tell may be.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks