Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2022, 16:13   #571
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Some things I know are that I have to drive under 80 Kmph and I absolutely don't mind gong slower than others. Also I have to make sure I follow any vehicle closely and never come under a situation where I am sandwiched between 2 large vehicles (trucks, buses) be it side by side or front and back.
In addition to what others have said, and given your experience on the expressway & ground realities : you are going to be going on to the fast lane / first lane more often than you would like + in many patches it is the smoother lane too.

My suggestions:

1) Stick to 80-100 on the straights, 50-70 on the ghats. Going too slow can also cause accidents!

2) Keep a good distance from the vehicle in front, so you can see the undulations in time and consider a lane change if needed - right side is the best more often than not. Similarly keep checking the mirrors for any fast moving car coming up.

3) Avoid driving once it's dark so you don't get blinded from front and back

4) There is road work going on. Sometimes it is the left lane, sometimes it is the right lane. There are instances where 2 lanes are blocked and traffic has to merge onto the slow lane + breakdown lane. Here is where you need to be alert of traffic around you - be defensive as it often catches some drivers off-guard despite there being signage indicating otherwise.

5) Coming down-hill : there are some sharp bends, so always keep your speeds in check and if possible use Google Maps / Waze with either a co-passenger apprising you of sharp bends, or a phone mount where it would not obstruct vision or make you take your eyes off the road.

6) If you want to make a stop, the first food court after the first toll when going to Pune is good, and similarly the food court after the ghats on the way back from Pune is recommended : clean bathrooms, and various food options.
Old 18th April 2022, 17:49   #572
BHPian

Thanks a lot everyone for all the suggestions. I will pay attention to everything mentioned. Also I have been on the Mumbai - Pune Expressway a lot but it was always in Neeta Volvo (and similar) when I used to work in Pune and travel every weekend to Mumbai and back on monday mornings.

But driving myself is a different ballgame. The max I have travelled till now is from Borivali to Ikea Navi Mumbai which is like 43 Kms and that too in traffic.

I also checked Google maps and the food court just after the toll on Mumbai side (when travelling to Pune) has expanded a lot and seems to have now Starbucks and McD and what not.
Old 30th April 2022, 20:02   #573
BHPian

For Pune to Lonavla trip, do we have to pay 203/- as toll? Since now more toll is taken in the first toll itself.

Example - https://www.consumercomplaints.in/ir...avala-c2803845

Alternate is to take old highway.
Old 4th May 2022, 20:01   #574
Senior - BHPian

I have an interesting observation. May be some of you have seen it too? I always notice high number of broken down cars on expressway and people waiting by the side for mechanic/tow vehicle to arrive. Most of these cars are A/B segment MS/Hyundai vehicles.

I was on expressway on this unfortunate day having gotten stuck about 3 hours and my wife counted about 15 cars (before losing interest) broken down in the middle of the road.

What is it with this highway particularly that causes the breakdowns? My other regular routes are Pune-Nasik and Ahmednagar-Pune and rarely see broken cars there.
Old 4th May 2022, 21:28   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
I always notice high number of broken down cars on expressway and people waiting by the side for mechanic/tow vehicle to arrive.
Ghat roads They don't behave well with ill maintained vehicles, poor driving and lack of temperament to handle them. Accidents and breakdowns are daily scenes in Thoppur ghat, even though the gradient has been mellowed down over time. You can find similar scenes on Kannad ghat between Aurangabad and Chalisgaon.

Am sure MPEW would face increased turnaround time due to the nature of the road
Old 21st May 2022, 21:45   #576
BHPian

Drove to Thane and back today. What a pathetic experience it has became. Ghat section is a mess. Lots of sections are in maintenance which heavily brings down the already slow pace.

I have travelled quite a few times on expressway in recent months and felt speed limit of 80/100 kmph has somehow caused (the perception of) extra traffic. Not sure if this makes sense. There is always some or other car in your rear view mirror (which is a hazard). You are always surrounded by other cars.

The long queues in toll further adds to the misery. We pay ₹270 for this section.

Ending my rant.

Last edited by abhi_tjet : 21st May 2022 at 21:47.
abhi_tjet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 08:39   #577
BHPian

An important update (may not be relevant for 90% of Team BHPian)

1. The Khalapur toll has started double toll if you dont have a Fastag or balance in your Fastag. I paid Rs. 406/- for Lonavla as the Fastag wasnt recharged.
2. Lots of work going on especially on the Ghat section. Be vigilant and keep the speed to a controlable limit. Diversions are marked properly however they dont give you advance intimation.
Old 23rd August 2022, 08:43   #578
Senior - BHPian

Maharashtra government plans to widen the MP expressway to 8 lanes from existing 6 lanes.

Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)-20220823_111151.jpg

Read full story here: https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...192833882.html
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 20:59   #579
Senior - BHPian

2 hour traffic block on the expressway scheduled tomorrow (26th August).

https://theprint.in/india/two-hour-t...ction/1100081/

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 25th August 2022 at 21:10.
Old 11th September 2022, 23:54   #580
BHPian

Quote:
The Kerala State Electronics Development Corporation (Keltron) has received the first order from outside the State for its traffic enforcement system, to be installed on the Mumbai-Pune express highway. As part of the project costing ₹9.05 crore, 28 radar-based spot and average speed enforcement systems and 11 average speed enforcement systems will be installed along the expressway.
https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le65874957.ece
Old 17th September 2022, 22:14   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd18 View Post
For Pune to Lonavla trip, do we have to pay 203/- as toll? Since now more toll is taken in the first toll itself.

Example - https://www.consumercomplaints.in/ir...avala-c2803845

Alternate is to take old highway.
Well to quote my own post, answer is YES. 203 toll for around 40kms. Must be highest in the country.

Plus, my wrong entry towards Mumbai with Kusgaon toll plaza(instead of Pune) from lonavla cost me another 135/. Due to rain, couldn’t differentiate the split.

Turns out Pune-Lonavala exit and Lonavala/Pune entry isn’t access controlled. Hence, toll is charged as if you are coming/going to Khalapur toll plaza. :(
rd18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 07:37   #582
BHPian

Guys if you are travelling on the Expressway (or anywhere else for that matter), please make sure the pax in the rear seat belt up.

The Highway Safety Patrol have fined 224 cars in the last week, where 198 pax in the rear seat were not wearing seat belts.

Source
RedTerrano is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 11:34   #583
Senior - BHPian

More traffic jams expected from Dec 1.

In a move to prevent accidents on the Pune-Mumbai Expressway and spread awareness about road safety, the regional transport office (RTO) inspectors along with other government departments will launch a round-the-clock vehicle checking drive from December 1. RTO inspectors deployed in rotational shifts will check driving licence, pollution under control (PUC) certificate, renewal documents, national permit, registration certificate (RC) book of vehicle and other details.

No clue what ROAD SAFETY is to do with vehicle documents.

Source: HT

https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...450716218.html
RM Motorsports is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 22:59   #584
BHPian

One more safety initiative for the Mumbai Pune Expressway with round the clock surveillance.
How about removing the confusing and contradictory speed signs and having sensible speed limits. Also how about penalising vehicles which drive lower than the speed limit and block the traffic in the ghat sections.
https://punemirror.com/pune/others/W...cid9300296.htm
adi.mariner is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 02:50   #585
BHPian

This is confusing.

Safety check involves paperwork when a vehicle is at rest.

Speed limits dictate what is the TOP speed I can safely, and legally, drive at.

So if my paperwork is in order, and I drive recklessly, overspeeding and zig-zagging on expressway, I cannot be tagged as an offender?

Thought process > 'Wow, paradise!'

Making a law/rule is easy, enforcement is a different story. We all err on the side of enforcement. Idiotic laws/rules can never, ever, stand a chance if we err on the side of the law. Aizwal and Goa are good examples for traffic laws being generally upheld by road users.

Come to Pune, and un-learn all your lessons.
mygodbole is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks