Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2023, 16:49   #616
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)

I first drove on the Yeshwantrao Chavan Expressway shortly after it opened more than 20 years ago. Had a Hyundai Accent GLS back then and it was myself and 3 other friends. We did a day trip to Pune and got back to Mumbai the same evening.

The expressway was almost totally empty back then. You could cruise at high speeds for long distances and hardly see any traffic. Over time we have grown used to it but back then the sheer scenic beauty of the route was breathtaking.

I don't know how many trips my family and I've made in the last two decades along the expressway. One thing I can say is that the speed limits imposed (80 for the most part, 100 in some stretches) are much-needed and it's good to see most drivers abide by them. There are always idiots who rip at insane speeds and weave between lanes but you can't help that and need to be watchful.

Last Sunday we did a day trip of Mumbai from our home in Pune. YCE to Kalamboli, then the Sion-Panvel highway up to Chembur and from there on, the Eastern Freeway to South Mumbai. We left after breakfast and got back in time for dinner. The Seltos was cruising calmly and the only time we experienced any traffic of note was on the Khandala ghat heading back. Needless to say, we reported some excellent FE numbers!

Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)-seltos-mumbai.jpeg

The road surface isn't the greatest but it does the job.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 03:15   #617
Senior - BHPian

Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)-img_7022.jpeg

Source: Powerdrift
Old 5th April 2023, 14:25   #618
BHPian

Don't know if this has been discussed before but does anyone know why do they keep repairing the perfectly fine road surface on the expressway?
Old 6th April 2023, 16:40   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immix View Post
Don't know if this has been discussed before but does anyone know why do they keep repairing the perfectly fine road surface on the expressway?
So that they can keep increasing the toll charges.
Old 30th April 2023, 17:11   #620
BHPian

A sedan caught fire today on the E way. Already heavy traffic of the long weekend and coupled with this accident meant long long line of no- to slow-moving traffic.
Old 3rd May 2023, 06:02   #621
BHPian

I read that last week there were huuuge backups on the MPE on a couple of days because of vehicle breakdowns *in* a lane. As in the developed world, we should have a system of levying a fairly large monetary fine (large enough to pinch) on vehicles that breakdown in a lane. That's the only way responsibility will sink in for owners to maintain their vehicles well.

Instead we seem to have misplaced sympathy.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd May 2023 at 06:40. Reason: bcoz > because
Old 29th May 2023, 13:12   #622
BHPian

https://www.punekarnews.in/pune-mumb...-to-installed/

The Mumbai Pune expressway has become a cash cow and everyone is milking her. The toll, speeding fines and the travel time has increased.
Old 9th June 2023, 10:49   #623
Senior - BHPian

Around 370 high-end cameras will be set up along the 94 km stretch of the Pune-Mumbai expressway as a part of the implementation of the Highway Traffic Management System (HTMS) aiming to regulate the speed of the vehicle and enhance safety.

The ongoing work is expected to be completed by September, enabling control over the speed of vehicles traveling on this busy highway. Around 370 cameras will be installed at 93 locations along the Pune-Mumbai expressway, facilitating efficient monitoring and prompt action against traffic violations and overspeeding.

The Maharashtra state government’s decision to introduce the HTMS system is to develop a traffic management system for the expressway, which witnesses frequent accidents and traffic violations.
Attached Thumbnails
Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)-fxmfdy1auaeiky4.jpg  

Old 11th June 2023, 12:34   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post

The Maharashtra state government’s decision to introduce the HTMS system is to develop a traffic management system for the expressway, which witnesses frequent accidents and traffic violations.
I drove to Mumbai from Pune after 4 years and I saw the expressway in bad shape, traffic had increased several folds and toll rates have increased too.

The focus is on minting more money but what about trucks, occupying the right-most lane? what about mini trucks and car drivers creating 5 lanes on 3-lane roads?

While going, I waited 5 minutes for both entry and exit tolls.

While on my way back from Mumbai to Pune, I spent 45 minutes before I pass Khalapur toll plaza and 23 minutes at Uese toll plaza.

I witnessed no endeavours from toll operators to clear the queue.

Is that 3-minute / 100 meters rule still applicable?
dicor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 10:48   #625
BHPian

Did a Pune-Thane-Pune drive yesterday and the only point where I faced the traffic jam ironically was in expressway
That too towards Mumbai. However, the choke was still lesser than the Pune direction. There was a kilometre long toll line towards Pune at Khalapur toll plaza.

On the brighter side, it looks like the missing link project is nearing completion. The tunnel work is going at full flow after Lonavala (towards Pune). I suppose it should be open to public sometime next year.
Old 18th September 2023, 11:02   #626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Attachment 2434924

Source: Powerdrift
On the revised rates, found it very irrational to be charged Rs240/ from Pune to Lonavla while the toll for full distance of expressway is Rs. 320/.

Isn't Lonavla just one third or at best less than half the total expressway length? Then why charge 75% toll for this less than 50% stretch?

Happy to be enlightened if I am missing any facts, figures or logic here.

Adding the image to illustrate - 75% toll for the yellow highlighted part of total length in red.

Wondering how much it costs from Mumbai to Lonavla - anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Review of the Yashwantrao Chavan Expressway (Mumbai-Pune)-mpew.jpg  

Last edited by Rodie09 : 18th September 2023 at 11:07.
Old 26th September 2023, 19:03   #627

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Wondering how much it costs from Mumbai to Lonavla - anyone?
I drove from Lonavala to Navi Mumbai and was charged Rs. 240 (Rs.160 at Lonavala Toll and Rs. 80 at Khalapur Toll) So, Mumbai to Lonavala might also be Rs.240.
Old 26th September 2023, 19:31   #628
Senior - BHPian

Did a Pune Thane Pune quick run today, driving on this stretch after 4.5 yrs and was saddened to see the state of the E way. The tar toppings at many places have come off due to rains I guess making the road bumpy. At many places one lane has been rendered useless due to barricading. Both the tolls at Talegaon and Khalapur isnt any breeze through inspite of fast tags lanes. I could find a whole lot of people of the fast lane doing 70s speeds including few mercs, and lot of Wagons R, Spresso and Etios hogging the fast lane and not understanding the dipper signs.

E way was one road which MH could boast of international standards, now reduced to the usual notorious MH state road.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 19:36   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartrail View Post
I drove from Lonavala to Navi Mumbai and was charged Rs. 240 (Rs.160 at Lonavala Toll and Rs. 80 at Khalapur Toll) So, Mumbai to Lonavala might also be Rs.240.
So, if one does a break journey from Mumbai to Pune, they would end up paying 480 as opposed to 320 of a non stop journey.

Does not sound fair. It does not appear as toll charges for what you use, but a profit making scheme.
Rodie09 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 12:46   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
. I could find a whole lot of people of the fast lane doing 70s speeds including few mercs, and lot of Wagons R, Spresso and Etios hogging the fast lane and not understanding the dipper signs.
I totally agree, being on this road almost every month. Most of these are yellow board cabbies which i suppose come with 80 kmph speed governers and hog the fast lane and just dont budge. Very frustating to change lanes frequently due to such people.

Regards
Diesel
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks