Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2014, 10:08   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent

This is the problem with cities that have lesser number of cars. They don't have any backup cars which should be the norm. If you have 10 cars in one city you should atleast have a backup car for every 5 cars for situations such as this.

I guess when using self drive rental it's best to stick to big metros for now. Mumbai, Delhi and Bangalore have ample cars available.

If you look at the carzonrent site for Bangalore they have 14 different models and pretty sure a few of each model. In comparison Pune has just 2 cars Swift and Etios.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 12:42   #62
BHPian

Re: Experience with CARZONRENT Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToWander View Post
Pradeep - sir, jo bhi gaadi aapko dena tha woh accident ho gaya hai. doosra gaadi book hai toh aapko gaadi nahi milega.
This is the second instance I am reading about the "vehicle met with accident" excuse that they gave for not honouring the booking. First I saw it in mouthshut where, according to the reviewer, they later admitted it was due to a "technical glitch" in their system and not due to any accident.

Link: http://www.mouthshut.com/review/carz...iew-pmtqslqqtr

I sure hope they are not cancelling bookings when they get a more lucrative one! Such short term thinking can only harm in the long term; trust is very hard to gain and very easy to lose.
motorsan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 16:26   #63
Senior - BHPian

Let me share my recent experience with Carzonrent from Ulsoor,Bangalore location.
Overall it was pleasant and I will go back again.

I booked an Ertiga for 24 hrs via their website. Vehicle was ready when I reached. It was a 2 month old vdi model. Paper work took around 15 minutes. It was clean and also came with a roof DVD player.

They didn't have parking for my car, but I could park my 2 wheeler outside their office; it was well lit, lively with many cars coming in and leaving (even at midnight), so I didn't feel any security concerns. Other drivers also park their bikes over there.

Return was also uneventful. Got a call 20 mts before return time to check if I am on my way. They check the vehicle thoroughly before and after rental.

Got the credit card refund in 48 hrs.
arjithin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 18:36   #64
BHPian

Went for carzonrent myles service once again this weekend. Needed a big car for a full day to pick up, take around and drop a few relatives in town. So I hired a Innova and booking was smooth as always.

My earlier experience is compiled here on this thread linked below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3322838

&

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3338542

other than this a few other friends have also used this service with me and without me and are very satisfied.

Picked up the car at 0400 to receive my relatives at railway station. This was the first time I got an considerable old vehicle with 50K on odo and several battle scars. Since I was in a hurry, I did not completely check the car, Further there was very little daylight at that time. Clicked a few pics though.
Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-img_20140504_0522230651.jpg
Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-img_20140504_0522328251.jpg
Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-img_20140504_0522438721.jpg
Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-img_20140504_0522556912.jpg

Came back to return the car at 0100 next day after driving around 140 kms. Filled in 600 bucks of diesel from a bunk near by. Found fuel gauge to be a wee bit below the mark in morning so filled in another 200 bucks and it went to the general area.
The concerned person who deals with self-drive weren't there so it was taken over by another team and boy were they thorough. Three of them went over the car with a tooth comb after parking it in a well lit area. They even looked the underside of the car.
After thorough inspection they declared that car is low on fuel (it was a fraction below the morning point) and it has a dent near the front left wheel well. On closer inspection they found that the bumper is also a bit dislodged from fender. This is only noticeable when one pulls the bumper else it seems perfectly aligned. See pic below clicked today afternoon when I went there again (more on this later)
Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-img_20140505_120118743.jpg

On my protest they said that the person (Kunal) who handed me the car in them morning will take a final call and gave me the taking over below. Being dead tired I agreed. Notice the 'new' dent marked on front left fender and difference in fuel gauge
Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-img_20140505_015459870.jpg

Today morning I got a call from Kunal. He has not been to office yet. I told him to bill me for the fuel shortage. He claims it will take 1500 rs of fuel to which I politely declined. We agreed that I will accompany their driver to the fuel bunk and refill it. For the dent he will have to see and revert.

Today afternoon, I took the driver with car to fuel bunk and it took only 100 bucks of fuel to match the fuel gauge. Just to be sure I pumped in total 500 bucks of fuel this time. Pic of fuel gauge below after second fill up.
Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-img_20140505_120108584_hdr.jpg

A few quirks in earlier experiences which led me to the situation I am facing currently.
1. Cars are never provided with tank full as per their policy. I have always protested this as one can never be sure of fuel gauges. Also this leads to trial and error while filling the car before delivery. I always got a standard reply that they will not be fussy about it. I have always returned car with much more fuel on meter so never got to test it till today.

2. The handover to customer document is not filled diligently. Smaller scratches and dents are ignored. I have always protested this and made them record all dents/scratches. While takeover of car from customer they dont look for smaller dents/scratches either. This has over the last few instances cajoled me into slackness.

I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one, But this is definitely going to be a learning experience.

I hope it doesn't turns out to be expensive as well.

Will keep updating as events fold.

cheers
Vishwas

Last edited by vishwaschettri : 5th May 2014 at 18:40. Reason: typo
vishwaschettri is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 18:50   #65
BHPian

I used their service between 1st and 4th May. Overall experience was good.

Booking experience: Swift and easy via their website and got a confirmation quickly. Would rate it excellent.

Pick-up experience: Land in Delhi 30 mins early and go to carzonrent counter in arrival lounge - and they say the car is on it's way. I spend time in CCD for next 20 mins and get a call from Sandeep who asked me to come out to pick up the vehicle. Go out and see a clean & nice silver colour swift with yellow board but had DL1N registration. So - my first question, why is it yellow board and they said - it is registered as a "self drive" car and showed the document too. But - the delhi RTO has issued a yellow board instead of black board. Then the ordeal begins - since Sandeep did not carry the tablet to complete the formalities - so he asked me for the xerox copies of my driving license, passport & credit card - which they never asked in the beginning. So - I asked him to drive to a nearby xerox shop & can give him that. Once - xerox taken, he tries to swipe my card to block 30,000 as pre-auth and it did not work. After multiple tries - he said, we have to go to their office around there. We go there and they try swiping in all the machines available but it wasn't working. They asked - if they can swipe 30,000 as a purchase instead of pre-auth which I refused. Finally - they spoke to some other branch & got a manual pre-auth done. This entire process of pick-up took 1.15 hrs. I would rate this as poor though I asked them to drop me to the hotel, take the car back and come back later that night once their system is up along with the car.

Car: It was a silver colour Swift Vdi ran only 2445kms and with 1 or 2 scratches. Checked everything including documents which were clean and it was as expected. The only grey area was they did not clean the interiors thoroughly and had to ask them to clean some chips left behind near the passenger seats.

Car was new and performed very well though i felt the steering was bit tight compared to my Laura or Pajero. I did gurgaon-jaipur-gurgaon, gurgaon-agra-gurgaon & sightseeing/ shopping in Delhi. Between 1st and 4th May - did 1082kms and from the MID - it returned 18.4 kmpl with 100% AC ON. I never realised that swift was this fuel efficient.

I would rate this as Good.

Drop experience: I called up Sandeep from Mathura that I will arrive that evening and again called up 30 mins before reaching T3 departure, so that he could pick up the car. He was waiting for me and did a quick check of the car, finished the formalities in quick 10 mins and we head into T3 to catch 9W to Chennai! I would rate this as excellent.

Overall - it was a very good experience with a peace of mind that I had a car at my disposal but also has to go through the harrowing experience of bad drivers in almost all roads (including Yamuna Expressway) in Delhi, Haryana, Rajasthan & UP.

Total charge was: INR 4385 (1299 per day rent * 3 days = 3897 + VAT of 487) - which is exactly what was quoted while booking.

With this first hand experience, I am certainly happy with Myles from Carzonrent, would surely recommend them and also would use when I need next!

Last edited by maheshramaling : 6th May 2014 at 19:02. Reason: added rental cost
maheshramaling is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2014, 23:06   #66
BHPian

My experience with Carzonrent

Background:

I and my friends had to attend our colleague's engagement in Tiptur near Tumkur. We were eight in total. Our initial plan was to take two cars, a Swift and a Indica Vista. But my friend who owned the Vista backed out at the last moment due to some personal reasons.

So now we were seven in total and taking the Swift was not pragmatic.

I had heard of Carzonrent self-drive cars and I was eager to explore the option.

Booking Experience:

As it was my first experience in booking a self-drive car, I did not know what to expect. I googled for 'Carzonrent Team-Bhp' for a review and went through it. I was pretty satisfied with the review provided.

I visited their website to select the car. I had only two choices, Mahindra XUV or Toyota Innova. As much as I wanted to book a XUV, all were booked. I had no choice but book an Innova.

Coming to the website. Not much details are provided for a first time user (compared to the Zoom cars website). I wanted to book the cars in hour basis rather than for a day and wanted to know if any deposit were to be made. I had to call their customer care for that information.

I compared the rates with what a normal cab would cost and found it to be approximately the same. Discussed with friends and booked it.

Pick-up Location: Ulsoor, Bangalore.

As I stay in North Bangalore, my initial choice for the pick-up location was Devanahalli. As Innovas weren't available in Devanahalli, I had to no other option but to choose Ulsoor.

The Ulsoor office is located behind the BSNL office as provided in their address. The easiest approach is through:

Cubbon Road---->Manipal Center-----> Take a left and immediate right--->
BSNL office Ulsoor.

The office is just behind it. It has ample space for two-wheeler parking. But not much for four-wheelers.

The car:

The car was a new Innova with only 14,000 kilometers on the odo. It was a seven seater version. The car had an aftermarket stereo and it also had a DVD player with a LCD screen mounted on the roof. We didn't have much use for either of them.

Enough has already been discussed on how an Innova drives, so I won't elaborate on it. We were satisfied with the car.

The Car:

Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-1.jpg

Review: Self-Drive Car Rental from Myles, Carzonrent-img_0349.jpg

Total cost

Total time rented: 0700 hrs-2100 hrs (14 hours)

Cost/hour: Rs 399/hr

Limit on distance traveled: 250 km
Rs 10/hr for each extra kilometer traveled above 250.

Cost incurred: Rs 5659 for 350 km.

Some Pros and Cons:

Pros:
  • Excellent service
  • On time delivery
  • Well maintained car(s)

Cons:
  • The A/C was not working properly at the last row of seats.
  • No acknowledgement provided at the return of the car
  • Website needs to be refurbished with more details since India is new to self-drive markets.

Verdict:

Overall it was a good experience. I would go back again, given the chance.

PS: Mods, please do excuse me if I have done any mistakes, since it is my first post in Team-Bhp.
Auswechseln is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 10:41   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auswechseln View Post
Total cost

Total time rented: 0700 hrs-2100 hrs (14 hours)

Cost/hour: Rs 399/hr

Limit on distance traveled: 250 km
Rs 10/hr for each extra kilometer traveled above 250.

Cost incurred: Rs 5659 for 350 km.
Hi Auswechseln,

Good to know that you had a nice experience with CarzonRent. I have couple of questions,

1. Did you do any security deposit? If yes, was it debited back to your credit card?

2. Your post says 399/hr, so if you have rented for 14hrs it would come up to 5586/- INR. And you say cost incurred was 5659 for 350Km. Can you please elaborate or provide a break up of the cost?

Thanks in Advance!
Old 13th May 2014, 12:31   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Hi Auswechseln,

Good to know that you had a nice experience with CarzonRent. I have couple of questions,

1. Did you do any security deposit? If yes, was it debited back to your credit card?

2. Your post says 399/hr, so if you have rented for 14hrs it would come up to 5586/- INR. And you say cost incurred was 5659 for 350Km. Can you please elaborate or provide a break up of the cost?

Thanks in Advance!
I tried to edit my post to provide the details of deposit, but 30 min time limit was over.

Coming to the question, there is no security deposit for hourly rental.

For daily basis it is INR 50,000. They will block your credit card for the said amount.

The break-up is provided in their website itself:

Quote:
Car: Toyota Innova
Service: Selfdrive
Destination: Bangalore
Pickup Date: Wed 14-May, 2014
Drop Date: Wed 14-May, 2014
Pickup Time: 0700 Hrs
Drop Time: 2100 Hrs
Round Trip Fare
Rs 4569/-(Including VAT)
Fare Details
Minimum Billing: Rs 3990/-
Additional Services Cost: Rs 0/-
Sub Location Cost: Rs 0/-
Sub Total: Rs 3990/-
VAT (@14.500%): Rs 579/-
Total Fare: Rs 4569/-
Discount Amount (On base fare): Rs 1596/-
Refundable Security Deposit (Pre Auth from card): Rs 0.00 (Mastercard and Visa only)
Includes
KMs Included: 250
Extra KM Charge: Rs. 10/- per KM
Mandatory Documents
Passport / Voter ID card
Driving License
Credit Card
I'm sorry. There was a typo.The total was INR 5569 and not INR 5659.

You are right. The total does come up to 5586. But they provide a discount on the base amount which I have highlighted.

I don't understand why they had to quote 399/hr and then provide the discount.
Auswechseln is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 16:59   #69
BHPian

I am planning for a self-drive family trip from Kolkata to Dooars(West Bengal). Bangalore - Kolkata & return would be by flight only. Zoom doesn't have any operation in Kolkata. Myles have but cab with driver only. Is there any other self-drive option available at Kolkata?
Old 26th May 2014, 17:54   #70
BHPian

Update to my earlier hiring experience from Carzonrent documented here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3427656

I had returned the car with some minor damage on the front bumper (I still feel it was there at the time of taking over) on which I was told that an estimate will be taken from the Toyota Service Station.
It was totally my fault since I had missed to get this damage listed at the time of renting. I was waiting for the sword to drop.

A week later when I inquired with the concerned person I was informed that since the damage was below INR 4000, it is covered within the rental fees and I will not be charged anything.

True to their commitment I got a receipt in the mail a few days later with no extra charges and 50K pre-authorization on my credit card was also released without any deduction.

Once again carzonrent has managed to win me over after giving a few hiccups.

5 start rated service.

cheers
Vishwas

p.s. - Kindly go over the car with a tooth comb while taking over and ensure everything is listed in the handing over note. Click pics all around and get the details not mentioned in the format listed as well (floor mats etc).
During a casual chat I was told that since a lot of car were delivered with missing parts and damage, the company is now taking a strict stance towards employees and has even deducted damages from their pay. Thus the employees are extra vigilant when taking over the vehicle back.
vishwaschettri is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 12:09   #71
BHPian

Quote:
p.s. - Kindly go over the car with a tooth comb while taking over and ensure everything is listed in the handing over note. Click pics all around and get the details not mentioned in the format listed as well (floor mats etc).
Exactly!

I clicked photographs of each and every scratch and dent pointed out to me by the Carzonrent person as well as of some that I found.

We need be aware of what we are getting into. We never know what might happen while returning the car.

It's prudent to be on the safer side.
Auswechseln is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2014, 15:15   #72
BHPian

I rented a Swift Dzire from Myles in Bombay earlier this month. Overall I was quite satisfied with the experience. Got an almost brand new car that I felt was very good value for money. The 4 day rental cost Rs 7240 and another 1800 for the fuel. I guess I would have paid more for a car with driver.

The only part of the experience that I did not like was the fact that the car had to be picked up from their garage in Andheri, Mahakali Caves Rd, which is not the easiest place to access quickly. Upon inquiring about better locations the manager informed me that they were working on setting up an office at the airport which is how it should be.

Anyway, as this concept becomes more popular and there are more companies renting cars out it will become a lot easier...

Will surely rent self drive again. In fact I am waiting to try out Zoom in Bangalore.

Regarding the deposit, they charged a deposit of 30,000 at the time of pickup. Upon returning the car I was informed that the refund takes about 2 weeks. The manager suggested that he settle the advance by charging my card Re 1 and the rest gets refunded instantly. I went in for the second option. Have checked my card statement and it worked!
AutoB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 23:35   #73
BHPian

Long overdue. I had used the Carzonrent self drive option twice in the month of March in Bombay. Thought ill write a review.

The first time, we had hired a Innova since we where 6 of us and all the XUV's were booked. We had got a very new vehicle which had run around 4k km's. Our pickup point was near Makali Caves. Absolutely no problem with the Car. But, one major irritant was the fact that there was a lot of delay while handing over the car. We had booked it at a rather not-so-early time of 9AM, when we reached there at 9.05, there was no one to attend and we were told the person who is supposed to hand over the car is one the way. 20 mins of wait later, he arrived. The document process, the card swipe to block the amount and feeding all the details into the system took around 30 mins more. That's all of 50 mins and we still aren't handed over the car keys. The actual inspection of the car and handing over of car keys was smooth and fast, we were out of there only at 10AM. The return of the car is a little easier since the only thing they do is an inspection of the car and fuel and you can leave.

Yes, like others have mentioned, there are some nifty add ons that these guys give in the Innova. A DVD screen mounted on the roof, chiller box, mobile charger, water bottles and a newspaper too!

The second time, we had hired a Swift since 5 of us were there. Took it to Lavasa from Mumbai. This car had done around 13k km's on the odo. But, not as neatly maintained as the Innova. All the add on's where missing too this time. No mobile charger, no water bottles, no newspaper and no DVD as well. The chiller box was provided on request. Having already had a bad experience of making a booking at 9AM, I still went ahead and made the booking at the same time thinking the other day would have just been a one off. Sadly, it was the same story again! I don't know why they have to fill all the details of a repeat customer. I told them specifically that I had hired a car 1.5 weeks back and they had all the details with them. But, they still went ahead and typed in all the details manually! Took a total time of 45mins again to come out of that place with the car. Rather disappointing.

But, what they lack with technology and processes, they make it up with other things to keep a customer satisfied. After the delay in delivering the car, I was told by the person that I can use the car for a few hours more (That's 26 hours) instead of the stipulated 24 hours and not to get stressed if I am struck in traffic and running out of time. I actually gave back the car at 1130 the next day morning after taking it at 10AM without any extra charge. No fuss created with fuel level too.

The deposits are also rather high considering that Zoom is providing the same facility without any deposits. I don't also understand why they have a 40% higher deposit for an XUV when compared to the Innova. Aren't the on road price for them almost similar?

I also noticed just now that they have made a hiked the prices over the last 3 months.

One thing I didn't understand, Why are people concerned with minor starches and dents over here? Aren't we already covered for it with the Insurance?
Kimified is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 16:25   #74
BHPian

My experience with Carzonrent:

I did a trip to Goa from Hyderabad in the first week of May with three of my friends. This was my first time with a self-drive service, so I didn't know what should I expect. Anyway, I read through the terms given in their website, and booked a Toyota Etios for four days from May 1st to 4th. Total booking amount came to Rs. 8649.

On May 1st, I got in touch with one of their representatives, and went to pick-up the car from their garage which is located in Jubilee Hills (near SVM mall). There were lot of other self-driven/chauffeur-driven cars waiting to be picked up. Then the car I had booked was brought. It had an odo reading close to 29500 km, and was with a yellow on black number plate. I made thorough check-up of both exteriors and interiors for dents/scratches/missing parts, etc and made sure that all my observations were noted down by the attendant. Checked all the electronics, stereo, spare wheel, and found them to be in order. The car already had a tank full of Diesel, and I was told that the car was to be returned with a full-tank.

Then came the finance part. The guy who was attending to me explained the process of blocking the pre-auth amount of Rs. 30,000/- and also took a copy of my id & address proof. There weren't much hassles involved, though.

Initial impressions:
The car seemed to be well-maintained. Exteriors had minor scratches and Interiors were very clean. I was very pleased with the condition of the car. Also, all the documents were neatly put in a file with transparent sheets, and, just before I started, the guy explained to me what could I expect in roads (read police/check-posts,etc) with a self-driven car. He also assured me that he could be contacted for any car-related assistance that we might need during our trip. Anyway, everything went smooth, and finally he handed over the car key to me.

We started on our trip on the same day. Hyderabad-Mumbai highway is notorious for its huge potholes. Only on this road, we observed that the dashboard rattled too much. That didn't matter much as we chose to ignore it. Apart from that, the drive was very pleasant, and the car performed as expected.

We paid an entry tax of Rs. 250/- while entering Goa. In Goa's traffic, the car received a dent in its rear bumper. It wasn't major, but not unnoticeable too. Apart from this one incident, the trip was entirely pleasant and the car returned an excellent mileage. We finished the entire trip in two tank-fulls + a top-up of 10 litres while returning the car (with 90% AC on).

We notified the guard about the dent when we returned the car. The guy, who handed over the car to me, called the following day and informed me that the dent was minor and would be taken care of at their garage and no extra money will be charged for the same. A very unexpected pleasant thing from their part. I received a soft copy of my invoice the following day, and the pre-auth money was returned in 10 working days.

Overall, a satisfying first-time experience with Carzonrent.

PS: Elections were just over in Andhra, when we made the trip. We were stopped many times on our return journey in both Karnataka and Andhra, but every time the police were searching for goods-that-shouldn't-be-named . No one bothered about the car
Thirugnnanam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 11:30   #75
BHPian

I have already used there service in past without any hitch.

I have again booked an innova for my travel. I was discussing this with a friend and he told me i should check if i need a commercial D/L for driving around in a yellow number plate Car.

A small seed of doubt has grown, i called them up and asked. They told me my current D/d would do just fine. Any views ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks