Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2017, 10:41   #166
BHPian

Re: Driving license confiscated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The idea of confiscating your DL is to prevent you from driving. Don't try and circumvent this as you may attract more penalties. That slip you have is only a driving ticket from the police. Show it to another traffic cop and he won't look upon you very kindly as a person who was overspeeding in the first instance and has broken yet another traffic rule i.e driving without a license.

Please don't even think about it. If you're caught the last thing you want to see is the cops throwing the book at at you for attempted cheating. @panky12345 got away with it but you may not. Not sure how it works in NCR but in MH, if you lose the DL you are supposed to file a complaint with the nearest police station and submit a copy of the FIR to the RTO along with the application for a duplicate.
Yes, I wouldn't try that.

However, about not driving in this period altogether, I am confused now. The officer who fined me told me in his own words that I can drive. Honestly, the mere thought of not driving for 2 months (1 month being already passed ) gives me shivers!
Old 1st December 2017, 10:46   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Been there.. done that!! No way of cross-verifying with the DP database

No need to tell that its confiscated.. just say that wallet got stolen.. DL was one of the items.
Sir do we promote such activities here, it is against the law to apply for a DL if it is confiscated. I do not intend to offend anyone here, but there is a procedure laid down by the authorities for such incidents and we all must follow it.

Regarding the DL that is confiscated, you will surely get it once the 90 day period is over.

If we don't have the patience to follow the procedures, we must not blame the authorities for corruption.

Regards
Brumby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 10:54   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetgds View Post
However, about not driving in this period altogether, I am confused now. The officer who fined me told me in his own words that I can drive.
If you're allowed to drive with the slip what was the point of confiscating your DL for 90 days? Think about it.

You may want to speak with another senior traffic cop for guidance and a 2nd opinion.

But if I were you, I'd take a break from driving for 90 days. It is no point compounding the problem. Use an Ola or Uber cab in the meantime.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 11:14   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
If you're allowed to drive with the slip what was the point of confiscating your DL for 90 days? Think about it.
Logically thinking, your point is valid. However, one tends to exploit the loop holes when the point doesn't favour them

I guess I'll wait and get back my DL legitimately only. About driving in this forbidden period, I'll definitely minimise it, but ain't sure if I'll stop it wholly.

Last edited by navin : 1st December 2017 at 15:35.
Old 1st December 2017, 12:25   #170
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving Licence confiscated for violating 'No Parking' zone

Just a question to all on the same note, how many of you have a habit of carrying the original driving licence with you?

What would the repercussion be in case the offender has a photocopy/duplicate licence?

I do not have the habit of carrying the original DL. Instead, there is a mobile wallet used for DL's, RC's in Telangana(primarily in hyderabad). With regards to offences, thankfully, the Hyderabad Traffic Police introduced point system for every offence. But, I am not sure if its being implemented vigorously. Following is the link with more details -

Link
Old 1st December 2017, 12:36   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Just a question to all on the same note, how many of you have a habit of carrying the original driving licence with you?

What would the repercussion be in case the offender has a photocopy/duplicate licence?

I do not have the habit of carrying the original DL. Instead, there is a mobile wallet used for DL's, RC's in Telangana(primarily in hyderabad). With regards to offences, thankfully, the Hyderabad Traffic Police introduced point system for every offence. But, I am not sure if its being implemented vigorously. Following is the link with more details -

Link

I always carry my original DL with me (before it was taken away from me ). My friend once told me that once when he was caught for not wearing seat belt, he didn't had the original DL with him and the police officer didn't accept the copy. He eventually bribed him and no challan was issued. I've made it a point to carry the original with me ever since.
meetgds is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 16:05   #172
Senior - BHPian

Well.. I do NOT want to get into the moral/ethical debates here.. I've got 3 duplicates..recent one being issued last week. (I was issued e-challan all three times!). Sad.. but that's the state of affairs here in Delhi. That's called 'Jugaad'.
Old 8th December 2017, 12:14   #173
BHPian

Again, would like to raise the question to all experts:

What are the consequences I am expected to face if I am not carrying my original license? What if I have a duplicate a colored Xerox as a smart card or for that matter no DL at all (I have it in my pocket but I don't admit it.

Will I be asked to leave my car then & there (most importantly) or will I be issued a challan to appear before court/RTO & pay fine?

Though in Pune Safari's are never touched upon by Police, however I do not take this for granted & stay within the limit to come into police's notice. But, who knows, one day I may get caught!! I am sure Police officers will leave no stone unturned to confiscate my License in order to extort as much as possible for all possible reasons.

I am happy to pay a few bucks extra, rather than roaming around RTO, getting my License back. Language is the biggest barrier for me in Pune.

Regards,
Saurabh
Old 30th November 2023, 14:09   #174
BANNED

Unfortunately I have got into the same mess for driving car at 70-75 speed on an empty road of Goa. Surprisingly my DL is "Blocked" within the online database but I still have the physical smart card with me.

Anybody has any guidance to remove the blocking online for Mumbai MH02 RTO please share. I want to follow all legal process but there are no details available anywhere. I visited the Mumbai RTO West (MH02) they gave me an notice on 9 Nov and an appointment to come on 24 Nov at 4 PM to take this forward. Please see the related thread for further details:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-now-what.html (Driver’s license got blocked / suspended! Now what?)

Last edited by oilmonkey : 30th November 2023 at 14:12. Reason: Adding more information

Most Viewed