Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2014, 20:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driving Licence confiscated for violating 'No Parking' zone

BTP has recommended license cancellation in the past for repeat parking offenders , but this time they're targetting first time offenders :

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/11970184.cms

It appears that license cancellation is not permanent , as I see from https://www.facebook.com/notes/traff...10574029022286 .

Parking in a no-parking zone for 15 mins does not technically fall under "abandoning" your vehicle , but you will have to go to court to prove that. I'm also skeptical if the RTO will accept the cops recommendation in cancelling the license, so hopefully things should work out positively without having to approach the courts.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 22:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

This might be their way of tracking repeat offenders. First time, you might get license back after the offense is recorded against your name. For next offense, there might be a suspension for a short time like 3 months or so. On further repetition, the suspension duration might go up much higher or even be permanent. I remember reading about such a proposal somewhere, though I don't recollect where I saw it now.
Old 9th December 2014, 23:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
BTW this is what I came across on the FB page

Parking of vehicles in No Parking places and Footpath: Along with regular fine now the driving License of the driver/rider will be sent to RTO for suspension. (MV Act 1988 sec.19(1) F and CMVR 1989 rule 21(15). Kindly don't park your vehicles in NO PARKING places and on footpath.

Question is how do public know about these developments if one is not subscribed to the FB page.
If this is the rule, then more than 50% DLs in and around Vijayanagara needs to be cancelled. While I feel bad for the trouble you are going through, I think it is the only way to bring some discipline in parking.

It is the need of the hour.
Old 9th December 2014, 23:44   #19
BHPian

I'm tempted to call this measure by the BTP much worse, but will just stick to "daft".

- Stretching the law to penalize a non-moving violation with confiscation/suspension of license is daft
- Equating "no-parking" as "abandonment" is daft, apart from being draconian
- I'm unable to think how they'd handle out of state licenses. It would be fun to see if they then start on an exercise asking for all drivers in Karnataka to hold Karnataka driving licenses. That would be new heights (or bottoms) of daft-dom

I feel for the BTP. They're handed the responsibility of policing an ungovernable mess while culprits like the BBMP and the other parts of the government machinery flout all norms of common sense. Who authorizes construction of apartments/commercial buildings without adequate parking? Who is responsible for the laughable public transport infrastructure and the long-delayed Namma Mess-tro that could be viable alternatives for private vehicles?

However, ends don't justify the means. Not in civil societies anyway.

Last edited by BackInTheFold : 9th December 2014 at 23:47.
BackInTheFold is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 23:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Bangalore authorities are giving Taliban the competition. TOTALLY ABSURD and idiotic. Next time, they will come up with a flogging on the street rule for an illegal lane change too.

No country on this planet has a cancellation of licence for parking in a no parking zone. Just a money making gimmick nothing else.
While I understand the frustration of such unwanted rule, unfortunately it is the need of hour. Today it is almost impossible discipline the car owners/drivers, specifically in areas like Koramangala, Jayanagara, Vijayanagara with just Rs.100/- fine. I have personally seen drivers paying fines without any remorse and get away with it to repeat the same violation in same place at the very next opportunity.

More than DL cancelation, just the time spent to visit police station or RTO and catch hold of the officer itself would be good deterrent for drivers not to park their vehicles in no park zone. I would still support BTP on this.

Last edited by manjubp : 9th December 2014 at 23:53.
manjubp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 10:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
I'm unable to think how they'd handle out of state licenses. It would be fun to see if they then start on an exercise asking for all drivers in Karnataka to hold Karnataka driving licenses. That would be new heights (or bottoms) of daft-dom
If we go strictly by the rule book, you are supposed to do that. If you are shifting your residence to another state, you need to obtain the NOC from home state and transfer your license to the new state. Since there is zero revenue and a lot of work for RTO, they are not just bothering to go after that exercise.
Old 10th December 2014, 12:33   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
If we go strictly by the rule book, you are supposed to do that. If you are shifting your residence to another state, you need to obtain the NOC from home state and transfer your license to the new state. Since there is zero revenue and a lot of work for RTO, they are not just bothering to go after that exercise.
Actually I had seen couple of posts on BTP Facebook page few months before.

The cops send out of state licences to respective RTOs requesting cancellation and those RTOs also responded canceling the same.

This was for DUI checks on weekends.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 13:30   #23
BHPian

It usually happens if you don't pay them bribe up front, they make sure you do some rounds of RTO or police station.
Moreover they add dangerous driving and what not to your list of offence, then they can charge anything as a fine.
Old 10th December 2014, 14:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
While I understand the frustration of such unwanted rule, unfortunately it is the need of hour. Today it is almost impossible discipline the car owners/drivers, specifically in areas like Koramangala, Jayanagara, Vijayanagara with just Rs.100/- fine. I have personally seen drivers paying fines without any remorse and get away with it to repeat the same violation in same place at the very next opportunity.

More than DL cancelation, just the time spent to visit police station or RTO and catch hold of the officer itself would be good deterrent for drivers not to park their vehicles in no park zone. I would still support BTP on this.
The need of the hour is for the government to get a big fat cane and whack these low lives Karnataka Police out of their existence. Parking offense is not 'murder'. Someone's life depends on driving to work everyday, taking kids to school, dropping wife off to the grocery. Parking offense is a mistake and yes the fine of 100 rupees is less, so increase the fine. When people have to shell out 500 rupees or so for a parking fine, they'll learn a lesson too. BUT OH WAIT, with a parking fine of 500/- rupees, the corrupt cop will ask for a 300 rupee under the table chai pani and hence it cannot be applied.

This country needs to do away with corruption and educated people to set up the road transport rules and laws. First the Road Tax Fiasco and now this.

Why do State government employees get to pay 1 year road tax when we can't ? The state government understands that their employees can get transferred and hence the law for them is different, don't they know that private company employees can get transferred too ? IF they don't, their only motive is loot, just like here the only motive is to scare people and extort big money from them. What would GUNA do if his licence was gone ? He will move earth and sea to get it back, even if it later comes to bribing for a big sum. That is what KARNATAKA Police want, money.

They are not interested in any change, for they should know that with a whip or a sword change cannot come in any modern society, it never has and it never will. It can come only with reason and taking the people along.

Last edited by humyum : 10th December 2014 at 14:26. Reason: Grammatical errors, I better correct it before a Grammar Nazi comes with a text book
humyum is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 14:45   #25
BHPian

Sorry to see you are affected by this. I had faced a similar situation here in Pune, MH. I had wrongly parked at Swargate Bus-stand morning 7am when I was dropping off a family member. Car's wheels were chain locked as soon as I got down to open the boot. He demanded my license when some bigger cars like a fortuner and a scorpio was not paid attention to.

What I did is not what I actually recommend, so put the disclaimer first.

I simply handed him my wallet and told him to take care of the vehicle. I will do what I want to later. The response I got was simply - "saheb, 100 cha tar fine ahe, mitvun taka" (Sir, its a 100 Rs. fine, get it over with).

While this may not be the best response, unfortunately, a person (even though assumed) with "moar" power is best avoided. While my bad mood (that is no excuse) prompted the response, I also thank my stars that he didn't lose it and put number of charges on me.
jagzrk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 20:21   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
The need of the hour is for the government to get a big fat cane and whack these low lives Karnataka Police out of their existence. Parking offense is not 'murder'. Someone's life depends on driving to work everyday, taking kids to school, dropping wife off to the grocery. Parking offense is a mistake and yes the fine of 100 rupees is less, so increase the fine. When people have to shell out 500 rupees or so for a parking fine, they'll learn a lesson too. BUT OH WAIT, with a parking fine of 500/- rupees, the corrupt cop will ask for a 300 rupee under the table chai pani and hence it cannot be applied.

This country needs to do away with corruption and educated people to set up the road transport rules and laws. First the Road Tax Fiasco and now this.

Why do State government employees get to pay 1 year road tax when we can't ? The state government understands that their employees can get transferred and hence the law for them is different, don't they know that private company employees can get transferred too ? IF they don't, their only motive is loot, just like here the only motive is to scare people and extort big money from them. What would GUNA do if his licence was gone ? He will move earth and sea to get it back, even if it later comes to bribing for a big sum. That is what KARNATAKA Police want, money.

They are not interested in any change, for they should know that with a whip or a sword change cannot come in any modern society, it never has and it never will. It can come only with reason and taking the people along.
Agree with your observations, however there are people who don't care to pay the hefty fine(or hefty bribe) and repeat the offense. The intention of fine is to ensure the violations are not repeated. While the violators pay the fine/bribe and police/state gets money, it is the other rule obeying road users who would be impacted because of these illegal parking. Traffic violation is mistake, if done unknowingly for lack of information or notification, certainly not for repeated offense even after paying the fine, sorry to disagree with you on this.

My point is why regular road users like many of us, who religiously follow the all road rules needs to suffer everyday, because someone is willing to pay the fines and repeat the offense. This needs to stop, in my personal opinion if drunk and drive can result in DL suspension, then all notified traffic violations needs to be handled with same yard stick.

In my opinion, people value their time though they don;t care about others time, hence one of the way to teach the violators a lesson is to make them to visit RTO/Police station. Having said this I am noway supporting corruption or looting people by govt servants or for that matter anyone.

As of 2013, everyone have to pay LTT in Karnataka. They have removed the yearly tax.

Last edited by manjubp : 10th December 2014 at 20:23.
Old 10th December 2014, 20:23   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
There was no house or a shop nearby.
I was busy paying the fine to a cop who had a blackberry. In the meantime other cops left in a jeep and I did not realize they actually took the DL!
What they did is NOT legal. They can't confiscate anything without giving a detailed receipt. This is a common trick the cop(per)s play. Have they issued a receipt? Escalate the matter to the IPS officer in charge of the area and get back the DL asap, before they frame you for more serious offences.
Old 10th December 2014, 20:26   #28
BHPian

I am ok with the traffic police implementing such laws. What i hate is that more often than not, it is only the general public who are punished for such violations. Taxis and autos get away with all this rule breaking because they have unions.
Old 10th December 2014, 21:19   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess I had come across this ultra rude guy of Jayanagar station last week. Reading this made me feel horrible or rather lucky for not going through the same fiasco.

This experience may sound funny, but the cop I am talking about was the most disgusting guy I have come across. It so happened that when my dad went to get groceries from a shop less than a km away from my house, in a practically no traffic area, he had parked the car in a no parking area for a minute(time taken to get a bunch of leafies from a vegetable vendor) and this smart cop comes from nowhere and sticks the NP notice on the car and disappears.
It was so random that my dad realised this after coming home that there was a notice up the windshield.

So since my car had a pending fine, I was on a stroll in Jayanagar when I saw this ultra mean cop fining people who had parked around the shopping complex area. I then pictured myself as a sincere and honest citizen and thought of paying the fine to him. I thought he would be happy with some extra collection for no damn effort of his. When I approached him, he thought I was paying spot fine(for an immediate offence) and asked my vehicle number. I told him that I had a notice pending and wanted to pay up. He realised it later and was about to fine me for a spot offence :O Then he was kind of disappointed and showed me the previous offence and generated a bill. I paid and he literally snatched the cash and walked away. Also, in front of me, he fined another guy whose vehicle was clamped, while another car belonging to a judge was let go, in spite of the poor fined guy asking the same thing. When he asked them to remove the clamp, he told it will take some time.

All this while, I was annoyed at his attitude. Now, I feel lucky since this ******* didn't seize my licence for no mistake of my own. He wouldn't have even listened to my story at that time. They need to follow rules I agree, but that should be accompanied with some logic and reasoning.

In the same lines, I had walked to a police guy two years back to pay for another no parking offence(all near my house - by dad since he cant walk much because of knee problem). This guy was happy that I was voluntarily paying up fine and ended the exchange with a smile and a handshake. Whole some cops are professional, others are plain useless.
Old 10th December 2014, 23:40   #30
BHPian

This is totally insane. I was pulled up once in Pune for parking wrong and was issued a challan. That included the fine and the towing charges. This is clearly a ploy to extort money. The cops are aware of the nightmare one faces at any RTO office in our country.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks