Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2015, 14:00   #166
BHPian

Re: Car convoy attacked in Ladakh by taxi mafia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
This appears to be one side of story (I may be wrong though). Unconfirmed sources at Leh (including couple of oldies) have stated another side of the story. Not sure whether they cooked up this later or is a fact, but I think it is better to have both the perspectives since they don't have any representation at Team-BHP.

What they state is that a local guy confronted the zoomcar rented one in that convoy, since they didn't paid heed when they were asking then not to go towards Pangong, was hit by the car and got injured while the car tried to run away. This is when they caught him and beaten up. Rest of the cars were too smashed in anger - something which happens all the way round in every village in India.

Yes, they've gone a bit too far when they gang up and block the convoy again at a second place and this is something that would never be appreciated. I have conveyed them the anger and frustration that is simmering over the net within the travel communities and told them to convey the same to unions as well as authorities.

This may not boil down so easily perhaps and I see that DoW have issued an advisory as well since couple of more people have posted their experience.

http://devilonwheels.com/india/post23891.html
I have seen posts from OUR members describing the issue. Why would I trust someone else's opinion?

Also, I have experienced this type of hooliganism at Club Mahindra, Goa.

This type of goondaism should be stopped. The problem is the pathetic governmental systems in this lawless country. Can't understand how come the government allow this with even a distant dream of making tourism money?

Totally disgusted.
troublemaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 14:17   #167
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

I was recently in Kashmir with my parents on a driving holiday and the behaviour of the taxi drivers left us aghast there.

In Chandanwari, a Tata Sumo cab driver brushed our front bumper when our car was parked in a designated parking spot. I immediately objected as I saw the incident, the cabbie jumped off the Sumo, banged his door in disgust and threatened me. There was a cop stationed nearby who was watching the activities. The cop came and started blaming me that how I had occupied "a lot" of parking space when I clearly had limited room for a Honda City. There was little room to even open the doors and squeeze in. Immediately a group of cabbies joined the policeman and all started abusing me, I quickly started the car and left the place immediately.

Second incident was on the same day on the way to Aru, the taxi drivers and local JK registered cars left no room for us in some sections. The single lane road that leads to Aru is potholed and badly surfaced, for a low GC vehicle like a Honda City it takes a little time to move off road to make room for other vehicles but these Sumo cabs used to come alarmingly close to us without moving an inch out of the road. Same happened during sheep crossings as well. We had little room to move because a flock of sheep was ahead of us, however the cab drivers honked and barged in to throw us out of the road. Such incidents left us aghast !

Another incident was near Pulwama. We were heading to Yusmarg and a small bridge over the stream had collapsed so the cars were diverted. As soon as we crossed the diversion, there were 2 roads going in different directions. The GPS could not detect the route so we casually asked a cab driver about the directions to Yusmarg, all he could say is "Jab pata hi nahi hai to kaun bola yahan aane" (Translation: "When you don't know the route, who told you to come here") in a very rude tone and drove off.

In Gulmarg, we were not allowed to park our car when the parking space cleared had JK registered vehicles parked with ample room for another dozen of vehicles. We had to park our car at a distance.

The behaviour of the taxi drivers was disgusting towards the tourists. However, I must say we got a royal treatment in the hotels and the locals were warm and friendly as well. The only miscreants were the taxi drivers in an otherwise amazing roadtrip of 5300 kms.

Last edited by //M : 20th July 2015 at 14:20.
//M is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 14:38   #168
BHPian

Have posted on FB and tweeted too. Have specifically tweeted the Govt of India Tourism page.

This is horrible, and I am deeply saddened. I have been waiting for ages to visit Ladakh in my own vehicle. Now this has really shattered my confidence. Some other posts on the attitude of taxi drivers in general in J&K is farther damaging to my confidence.

Will definitely wait now to study the progress of events before I gather courage to visit this region
Old 20th July 2015, 14:53   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am sorry, but I strongly disagree. Who is the Taxi union to decide what is allowed and what is not. Do we not live in the republic of India? If so, is it not true that the power of making laws rests with the government, rather than some MAFIA.

And where does this end? Every winter, thousands of people from Ladakh come to Chandigarh for jobs. What if local residents of Chandigarh decide it affects their employment opportunities. Would you support violence against them in such a case. After all, local mazdoor union may pass a resolution not allowing non-residents jobs?

This is a very slippery slope, which goes against the idea of India as a nation.
This post speaks the absolute truth. I was born in TN, work in KA. If someone decides that TN people cannot work in KA and vice-versa, then where would we go as a nation? I mean, I can understand the point from the taxi unions - but to go about like some mob, breaking, hitting - even when there were occupants in the cars! That is such sickness.

And to think that nothing, again, will happen out of this. Nothing.
naveenroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 15:22   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwokFist View Post
I was citing my personal experience in the previous post and how Army guys present at the time helped me out.
Agreed, and I quoted you to show that the Army tries to help wherever possible. I was commenting on suggestions that the Army step in and control the situation, which is not possible unless there is a full-scale riot which the local police and paramilitary forces cannot control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
However, I must say we got a royal treatment in the hotels and the locals were warm and friendly as well. The only miscreants were the taxi drivers in an otherwise amazing roadtrip of 5300 kms.
True, and usually the case in areas dependent on tourism for income. Hotels are a service industry, with the emphasis on service. If the transport services (autos/taxis) also learnt this and acted accordingly, everyone would benefit. I don't know if unions or something else motivates them, but in general they just don't seem to understand this simple fact. In Agra for example, tourists prefer to book taxis/tours from Delhi and pay that little extra which has impacted the local transport service providers, most of which were guilty of overcharging, tying up with shops selling curios at exorbitant rates, and with "guides" who know very little but charge the sky.
Old 20th July 2015, 15:24   #171
BHPian

Have mailed about the incident to thupstan.chhewang@sansad.nic.in,
thupstanc@yahoo.co.in

Here's a draft you could use...

Subject: Threat to tourists could lead to tourism under threat in Ladakh

Respected Honorable MP Thupstan Chhewang Sir,

I am writing to you to request your intervention in an extremely sensitive issue as the MP for Ladakh.

Recently, I came across an extremely disturbing incident of tourists being attacked with stones and iron rods by a violent mob of taxi drivers in Ladakh.

More details are available at :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...axi-mafia.html (Car convoy attacked in Ladakh by taxi mafia!)

If I as an ordinary citizen of India have to fear for my safety from such hooligans when visiting some place, I would think twice before visiting it at all. In fact, Ladakh was on my list of must-visit places, but after reading all that happened, I am not venturing there anytime soon.

Mind you, Sir, this doesn't come across as a stray argument/incident that can be wished away. It paints an extremely hostile picture, and it is spreading all over social media. Many folks have canceled or postponed their trip plans for Ladakh.

Ultimately who will be the loser? People of Ladakh will lose out on the tourism revenue the region needs, while common folks like us will have to miss out on visiting the heaven that is Ladakh.

I believe such issues are best solved by the wise counsel of elders such as yourselves, who can work out a just and fair solution that promotes brotherhood and does not involve violence.

Jai Hind!
Blur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 15:24   #172
BHPian

Not sure if this has already been posted. Please delete if it is.

Source: Drive Without Borders page on Facebook.

Car convoy attacked in Ladakh by taxi mafia!-ladakh.jpg
Added_flavor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 15:32   #173
BHPian

Sorry about what happened to the families who were on a relaxing vacation. It must have been a very scary incident and could have had life threatening consequences. It is very difficult to predict the behavior of incited mobs. Thankfully, nobody was seriously hurt.

I'm guessing here that the local hotels and businesses are enjoying the increased popularity of their towns and hence are being helpful. People can afford to drive there in their own cars and have money to spend on accommodation and souvenirs which would have otherwise been spent on taxis.

By choosing to go down this mafia route, the taxi association and local administration are killing the goose laying them golden eggs , killing tourism.
Old 20th July 2015, 15:58   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
I hope this is not the result of an altercation that may have happened knowingly/unknowingly, especially since the self driven cars were present. When they don't allow(or should I say 'like') self driven cars, why should one take it there? This is as good as inviting trouble. The later attacks on the private vehicles could be related to those self driven cars as they saw the entire convoy as one group and they were pissed off by the entire group. Again, I re-iterate, whether self driven or private, such acts are totally cowardly and uncalled for.

I don't think the intention of this incident was to primarily target private vehicles. If the entire convoy was of private vehicles, this may never have happened in my opinion. Have there been any other members from here who returned from Ladakh in last few days?
Just read this on Devils On Wheels http://devilonwheels.com/rented-self...other-updates/. My hunch too was on the same lines.

They shouldn't have used the self driven cars. This was the reason why other private cars too were damaged. Unless we as a community hear more from other members travelling in this region in recent days, its better to wait and watch. Again, no matter what, such behavior by the Taxi Union was totally uncalled for.

Last edited by funkykar : 20th July 2015 at 16:10.
Old 20th July 2015, 16:15   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
PS: please don't thank this post - write to Hon. chhewang. Let's get this solved! Just ranting here ain't solving nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
Have mailed about the incident to thupstan.chhewang@sansad.nic.in,
thupstanc@yahoo.co.in
Had already posted on the FB page. Wrote an email as well sharing my disappointments and observations.
Old 20th July 2015, 16:17   #176
Team-BHP Support

Was that 'Resolution' (however absurd it may be) ever signed into law by the authorities concerned? If not, it's just a 'sour grapes' rambling note signed by a bunch of self-serving, short-sighted, shoot-your-own-foot idiots, submitted to worse politicos who don't know any better than appeasing their vote-bank. I could, in theory, submit a 'Resolution' of my own to my local councilor proclaiming myself the King of the place and getting a bunch of my lunatic followers (if such exist) to sign it. Doesn't make it law now, does it?

Even if it IS law, there IS NO provision to resort to mob violence when not adhered to. Law or no law, these idiots have no leg to stand on, legal or otherwise. I can only smile ironically at people who say the tourists brought it upon themselves by driving a self-drive rental there against the mafia's 'wishes'. Make no mistake, that's all they are, wishes of a mafia.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th July 2015 at 16:23.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 16:23   #177
BHPian

Things cannot go worse than this. For Ladakh trip, one goes through lots of preparation, expenses and hard work (driving,acclimatization etc) only to get this treatment! And who are the Cab/Private Taxi Operators to govern who should enter Ladakh and who should not! Call me pessimist, but following the traits I doubt any stern action will be taken against them :(
For me, the plans to visit Ladakh in a year or two is postponed indefinitely, and rather I will visit equally if not more beautiful North-East!
Old 20th July 2015, 17:23   #178
BHPian

oh my god.

I cannot believe Indians have stooped so low. Attacking cars with rocks and rods with occupants still inside. Occupants who have come from far off to spend their hard earned money in your local land.

We talk about 'Atithi Devo Bhava' and want to encourage Foreigners to visit India and then we see such incidents, where Indians themselves aren't welcomed. Leh is officially out of my bucket list. No more am I going to a place where mobs rule and police have vested interests.

Thanks ASHND for highlighting this event and I am mighty glad there were no serious causalities. Think about getting emergency medical help in such a remote place. Sends shivers down my spine.
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 17:36   #179
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Actually, if we dig deeper into the root of the problem - it is the bane of any large populace, high poverty index, high unemployment, yet democratic country. It is pretty unique to developing countries like ours that isolated pockets of militant unions exist, especially in zones where productivity of goods is poor and unemployment super-high. The political class, have been smart enough to identify the opportunity to earn cutbacks from the businesses that these unions run/work for , and play the "carrot in front of the donkey" to earn votes. Whether it is the taxi unions in leh/goa or the "militant" headload workers union in kerala/bengal - we are talking about tacit political support to these groups which empowers them.

For example, in kerala, you cannot move house without paying the blue shirted headload workers, even if the packers & movers boys do all the loading/unloading of the stuff from the lorry. And if you muster up enough courage to ask them to actually do the job after paying them, they break stuff and make sure you yourself ask them to leave. If you play super-smart and do the loading/unloading in the dead of the night, you are sure to have 5-6 blue shirted men coming and demanding money in the morning.

Unfortunately, in this case, they are cutting the branch they are sitting on. They are oblivious to it right now but once more incidents like this (they are bound to happen) occur, or once the TV media pumps the scare into tourists - they will turn jobless and go herd goats. I hope the hotel lobby wakes up to this and sets it right. Please dont expect any action from police/administration, since they are powerless in front of the power granted to these unions by politicians.

Last edited by venkyhere : 20th July 2015 at 17:41.
venkyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 18:05   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
They shouldn't have used the self driven cars. This was the reason why other private cars too were damaged. Unless we as a community hear more from other members travelling in this region in recent days, its better to wait and watch. Again, no matter what, such behavior by the Taxi Union was totally uncalled for.
The question isn't about how damage to the other cars could have been prevented. Ashnd himself posted about the self-drive rentals being part of the convoy so he may agree regarding the reason for the damage.
However, the bigger question is that why should such incidents take place in the first place.
Is India becoming a lawless country? What will happen if people start taking the law into their own hands and delivering judgements?
The lower economic class (the taxi drivers) seem to be taking matters in their own hands. In cities like Delhi & Mumbai there are cases where the rich and powerful take the law in their own hands (bodyguards pointing guns, businessmen running over employees, etc.)
Who suffers? The middle class - restrictions on where and how they travel, restrictions on getting fair treatment and justice, etc.

Also - the two self-drive rentals were charged some tax around 50kms from Leh (IIRC INR 100/- per day per vehicle). Private vehicles were exempt from this.
What is the purpose of paying this if the taxi's got damaged?
What is this money being used for?

Last edited by lamborghini : 20th July 2015 at 18:09.
lamborghini is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks