Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2018, 14:11   #2116
Senior - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Used the Equitas provided tags for the very first time on the 30th December at Talegaon Toll. During both the times, the experience was not bad.

Other than trucks using the fastag lane (not sure if they had the tags); I was surprised to observe that the attendants are using handheld scanners, even on dedicated lanes.

Today I did a lump sum recharge of 2000 and moved the amount into the tag balance. This will be for my expected upcoming trip towards Bengal and back. (Via NH 65 and NH 16)

Surprisingly and thankfully, there was no payment gateway charges this time.

Two scenarios as below requesting some clarification -
  • Scenario 1 :- Paid 138/- at Talegaon toll and then exited at Khalapur toll towards Pen (not taking the toll). But during the exit I was asked about the toll receipt. Informed them about the Fastag, and then they allowed me to take the side lane. Question is what to do in such scenarios as SMS does not come promptly all times.
  • Scenario 2 :- While returning via Khalapur toll, I was asked to pay the toll and I pointed towards the Tag. I was then allowed to move without payment but the toll was collected at Talegaon (138/-). My understanding says that I should have been charged at the Khalapur toll only. Please be advised that even though Khalapur toll has dedicated Fastag lane, if one comes via Pen, then he cannot merge onto the main lane.

May frequent travellers on this stretch please help me understand this working (Scenario 2) and also help me in general for the Scenario 1.

Also how about the presence of fast tag lanes on NH 65 and NH 16?
Old 2nd January 2018, 16:48   #2117
Senior - BHPian

Had my first experience crossing a toll booth with Fastag (procured from Equitas) on 31st last month while returning to Bangalore on the Hassan-Bangalore highway. I entered the highway from Bellur cross.

1. Bellur cross toll: Dedicated lane was barricaded, an attendant removed the barricade after seeing my tag. A handheld scanner was used but it did not recognize the tag- said 'Unauthorized tag'. Paid cash and moved on.

2. Lanco toll, Nelamangala on NH75: The fastag lane was empty and was blocked by an attendant holding a ribbon. The ribbon was lowered after he saw the tag and I was allowed to pass through. The boom barrier was kept up. Seamless passage. There was an average of around 5-6 cars in all other lanes, so would have saved a few minutes here.

3. Toll gate on NH 48, after Nelamangala towards Bangalore: The attendant holding the ribbon to barricade fastag lane was sound asleep and the ribbon was on the floor. Non-fastag vehicles were also entering this lane. Had to wait behind a couple of cars till my turn came. A handheld scanner was used here and the tag was detected pretty fast. No drama at all.

The SMS alerts for the 2 toll deductions came an hour later.
Old 2nd January 2018, 17:19   #2118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
These are Agency's number for issues related to activation, delivery, etc. of HDFC Fastag. They told they cannot help for any transaction issues. Provided me email (hdfcfastag@hdfcbank.com) for resolving transaction concerns. Will email them and wait to see if they take care.
Tried the email - nobody responds.
Old 2nd January 2018, 20:16   #2119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
All answers are in your Paytm account.

1) If you already have a Paytm account, you dont need to link it. Rs 150 will be reserved in the Fastag wallet. Just add money to you Paytm account.

2) Under "Your Wallet", you will see your Fastag wallet. In that you will see "Manage Fastags". Click that and you will see your vehicle details and the tag status. It will show active once they have verified your RC.

3) Same as point 2. If you check the passbook.

4) Same as point 2.

Thank you!!

To everyone - does it make any difference if I stick the tag on the driver side next to the A pillar? The instruction mention right behind the rear view mirror but I feel the glass will lose its symmetry. Other cars have it placed next to the passenger side A pillar on the top. But the non-driving top portion of my windscreen has parking stickers placed on it and only the lower portion is vacant.

Should i install the tag on the windscreen next to the A pillar on the driver side(top) or the non driving side around the bottom.
Old 2nd January 2018, 21:23   #2120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_2rahjo View Post
Should i install the tag on the windscreen next to the A pillar on the driver side(top) or the non driving side around the bottom.
I suggest right side top is best followed by anywhere on the right.

Reason is that most of the overhead sensors are mounted slightly off-centre towards the right. Plus if it's a handheld scanner operated by the booth operator, he/she will reach out with it and scan your tag easily.
Old 3rd January 2018, 10:40   #2121
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_2rahjo View Post

Preferred place would be the center or right side. The reason why I avoided the driver side was because I thought it would obstruct my view. And I found the tag to be a bit large.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I suggest right side top is best followed by anywhere on the right.

Reason is that most of the overhead sensors are mounted slightly off-centre towards the right. Plus if it's a handheld scanner operated by the booth operator, he/she will reach out with it and scan your tag easily.
Even I felt that they would need to stretch out and scan it but that's not the case. They just point it on the windshield and it reads. You may see couple of videos at the bottom to see how they scan it manually.
Old 3rd January 2018, 18:00   #2122
Senior - BHPian

Most cars manufactured in India nowadays come with an RFID tag on their windshield. This is mandatory for all new cars produced here. Can this RFID tag be used for FasTag instead of purchasing new ones from banks as detailed?

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 3rd January 2018, 18:16   #2123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Most cars manufactured in India nowadays come with an RFID tag on their windshield. This is mandatory for all new cars produced here. Can this RFID tag be used for FasTag instead of purchasing new ones from banks as detailed?

Drive on,
Shibu.
You will have to purchase the Fastag as discussed here. Existing RFID is useless for now.
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 18:18   #2124
BHPian

I have procured my 2nd FastTag via Equitas bank. The process is simple and fast and the tag is delivered in 3 days flat!

now coming to using the FastTag at toll booths, sometimes its a pain! I saw the regular lanes are moving faster than the FastTag lane! Plus the usual culprits of cash paying vehicles also entering the FastTag lane at few toll booths was also there. This was between Bangalore and Chitradurga

At most of the places the Tag isn't read automatically, have adjust the car a little by moving it front/back/right. I wish and hope that something is done to address this issue of tag not getting read automatically and all the lanes are made to read FastTag's or the FastTag lanes are increased.

Shibu, as i understand the govt has made the RFID tags mandatory for all new cars from Oct 2017, but so far there has been no news on how to use them instead of a separate FastTag tag. Hope they come out with update to system and guidelines to make it happen
ant_vas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 19:48   #2125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
Shibu, as i understand the govt has made the RFID tags mandatory for all new cars from Oct 2017, but so far there has been no news on how to use them instead of a separate FastTag tag. Hope they come out with update to system and guidelines to make it happen
Govt has made FASTag mandatory from Dec 2017 (article).

So this is for newer vehicles that get registered and delivered after Dec 1st and the same is facilitated by the dealership with associated costs of course.

The RFID that is part of the car from the manufacturer has (at present) no relation to FASTag, in future too !

Regarding the scanning issues, I made a trip to Mumbai 2 weeks back on a car with Equitas Tag and another trip to Pune last week in my car with a ICICI Tag and in both case, I had ensured to paste it at the usual place (right side of the ORVM towards the driver side) and it worked without any issues.

The only place I had to reverse was the JAS toll at Nelamangala on return where a Truck passed and the barricade closed while I was still maintaining gap knowing scanning issues may crop up and it did. Thankfully, I had space behind and the Bus driver behind me waved at me to reverse and I did. The barricade opened and I passed.

At night, its Buses that rule every lane and I noticed maximum buses have these tags now (since I reached Bangalore at 0500 on 30th Dec). Thankfully, many booths now have Hybrid lanes that you may not really need to enter a FASTag lane. Ideally, most of the booth were the dedicated lanes are permanently closed, rest of the lanes have these scanners.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 21:21   #2126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Buses that rule every lane and I noticed maximum buses have these tags now
What sort of buses are these? During the day (in my Hosur-Kolhapur and Belgaum-Hosur drive), the KSRTC Rajahamsa, NWKRTC buses didn't have them and were paying cash.

However at night (2315 hrs) in Attibele, I saw many private travels buses and KSRTC Airavats pass through the dedicated lane.

Maybe it is fitted class/distance wise in KSRTC, but the regular route private operators seem to use it.
--
From my return drive, for a 1445 start from Sankam, Belgaum. Karjeevanahalli was one place (with 10-12 vehicles in other lane) where I gained significant advantage. Rest had just 2-3 vehicles at the most including JAS and Nelamangala.
Old 3rd January 2018, 21:26   #2127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
What sort of buses are these? During the day (in my Hosur-Kolhapur and Belgaum-Hosur drive), the KSRTC Rajahamsa, NWKRTC buses didn't have them and were paying cash.
SRS, VRL, Nakoda and more. Apart from that KSRTC Club Class as well where one made me wait at Hattaragi for 10 minutes (yes) and he reversed at least 10 times in front of me.

I was expecting same issue with me after he passed but as soon as I was near the booth window the digital display read "Valid Tag" and I passed.

You must do a 12 midnight start from Belgaum now and see it you yourself that we cars are a minority here with respect to tag usage .
Old 4th January 2018, 08:00   #2128
BHPian

It seems there are no dedicated fasttag lanes now at some toll plazas. Yesterday while coming back to bangalore, i see that atleast Chalageri /Hebbalu toll plaza( NH4) didnt have any dedicated lanes . All the lanes are fitted with scanners now ? I think if this is the case, then the fastag is only beneficial if majority of the vehicles have it. Else its no use waiting behind a long queue of cash paying vehicles.
Old 4th January 2018, 12:33   #2129
BHPian

During the month of November 2017, I used my fastag (procured through PayTM) for an amount of Rs 1065. On 2nd January 2018, I got a cash back of Rs 79.87 credited to my Paytm account). Approximately 7.499% refunded.
Old 4th January 2018, 16:21   #2130
Senior - BHPian

Anyone who has travelled from Bangalore to Chennai? Have all tolls been made hybrid on the route? I plan to drive down this weekend, any indicators will help.

Most Viewed