Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2010, 11:26   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
if one is moving between states in a transferable job, there is a way out - the company has to give a letter stating that the person has been transferred on duty. this can keep you going for about one year max.
The authorities might argue about paying tax for that current year or the minimum stint in each state.
Quote:
i think it is about time the Government and the Transport authorities changed the rules - given the high incidence of people in service who are in transferable jobs and the relatively free movement of working people across the country, any car registered anywhere in India should have a right to live anywhere else in the country.

India is for all Indians kind of thing - all this parochial behaviour on the part of each state is absolute nonsense and should not be allowed by the Centre.
Some states who have problems sourcing funds from the centre have to resort to practices which are a pain to the common man.
Old 9th February 2010, 11:31   #62
Senior - BHPian

Even if fuel bills are shown it will not be on the day/date you will be caught.Bill will always be of 1 month old.So obviously the cop will ask if you are staying here from one month then it means you will stay for another 2-3 months and it is not a short trip.If that is the case then you should have bills to show them that the previous filling of fuel was also in other state.If anyone thing is missed then you will be taken for a ride.1)for arguing 2)for other state registered vehicle.Not only in Karnataka, every where this is done and all cops do this IMO
Old 9th February 2010, 11:44   #63
BHPian

I have used my lancer in Bangalore for almost 2 years, a santro for 6 months and now using my safari for past 6 months.Till date i have not been stopped except once where i made a wrong u turn and had to pay spot fine.But the cop was very decent.He smiled gave me a challan and told thank you sir when i paid the fine.One trick i have mastered is to look confident and bossy when there are cops around.Most times you will not face issues if you are driving a bigger vehicle.Even in case you are caught a hundred rupee note will save your day.Recently my friend's car was stopped for checking.He had just 50 bucks which the cop was not ready to accept.Finally he gave him a 30 bucks sodexho voucher also and escaped from paying KA tax.My point is that why should one pay road tax here if the government is not even providing decent roads.Throw me brickbats if you want to.But being an Indian citizen i will drive anywhere in India as i have paid road tax in my home state.
Old 9th February 2010, 11:47   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
1)for arguing 2)for other state registered vehicle.
Very important. Cops hate arguments and challenges. It is best to get things done the legal way and tell them that it is taking time for the same. Tell the cop that you will be for 6-10 months and ask him what can be done. He will fine you and tell you what to do next, which is what you know. This way you don't break the law.

Disclaimer: This is for folks who know they are getting out of the state after a few months and by the time the paperwork is done, they'd be outta here anyway.
For others who intend to stay please get the papers done asap

Last edited by prince_pervez : 9th February 2010 at 11:49.
Old 9th February 2010, 12:10   #65
Senior - BHPian

+1 to what pervez says. Usually 90% of the time cops catch people after 22nd of every month as it is month end and they would have shortage of money and the monthly target. More over during the month of Feb and March be extra careful(non resident owners who have other state registered vehicle)as even a simple crossing of the line near the signal will call for hefty fines and unnecessary problems(happens in all states).

Last edited by shishir_bn : 9th February 2010 at 12:10. Reason: incidently this is my 600th post
Old 6th December 2011, 11:28   #66
BHPian

Re: Non KA registered vehicles not welcomed in Karnataka!!!???

Again reviving an old thread, Any changes in Bangalore rules since last year?
I plan to get my Honda Dio from Goa(registered on dads name) to Bangalore and keep it here for 10-11 months. What are your suggestions?

Akshay
Old 6th December 2011, 11:42   #67
Team-BHP Support

With a 2 wheeler, its anyday better to pay the road tax, and get on with life. Its not worth the hassle trying to shield yourself from the cops out to make a fast buck, all because of a non-KA registration.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 11:44   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Again reviving an old thread, Any changes in Bangalore rules since last year?
I plan to get my Honda Dio from Goa(registered on dads name) to Bangalore and keep it here for 10-11 months. What are your suggestions?

Akshay
No change in RTO rules definitely, but I have last heard Cops do not pull up vehicles unless they are violating any law. And Road tax needs to be paid only if your vehicle has been impounded for non-payment, and cops have reasonable proof that you have the vehicle from more than 12 months/ intend to keep it for more than 12 months.
To be on the safer side, make a visit to Nelamangala or Hosur border in the bike and preserve the toll receipt to show you have recently brought it. You can also keep the PUC receipt done in the home state showing this is less than 6 months old.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 11:53   #69
BHPian

I definitely want to pay the tax rather then bribe someone. I went through the document mentioned here(refer page 5 of same) http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post1678060.

What I understand is that for 2 wheelers costing less then 50K and less then 2 years old, the road tax in Karnataka is 93% of the road tax paid in home state(ie Goa). Do i need to pay anything else other then this?

Also can I pay the road tax in Karwar and use the bike in Bangalore? Asking this as rules apply to state of Karnataka and not only Bangalore metropolis. And paying in Karwar is very easy for me and my dad keeps traveling to that town frequently.

PS: I was trying to edit the earlier post but it failed so making a new post.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by akshay380 : 6th December 2011 at 11:56.
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:53   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
I definitely want to pay the tax rather then bribe someone. I went through the document mentioned here(refer page 5 of same) http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post1678060.

What I understand is that for 2 wheelers costing less then 50K and less then 2 years old, the road tax in Karnataka is 93% of the road tax paid in home state(ie Goa). Do i need to pay anything else other then this?

Also can I pay the road tax in Karwar and use the bike in Bangalore? Asking this as rules apply to state of Karnataka and not only Bangalore metropolis. And paying in Karwar is very easy for me and my dad keeps traveling to that town frequently.

PS: I was trying to edit the earlier post but it failed so making a new post.

Thanks in advance.
I am not sure about the amount of Road Tax, but paying anywhere in Karnataka should be fine.
Old 26th August 2013, 10:18   #71
BHPian

Friends, I am planning to buy a new Fiat Punto Dynamic from Kerala next month. I reside in Bangalore (work location) and i plan to use the vehicle here. I will be having trips down Kerala in it every 2 months or so. I am a little worried about the risk of having a KL- reg car running in Karnataka. To test this scenario, I brought down a KL- registered Ritz (owned by my dad) to Bangalore. Bam! First day in BLR, I get a parking ticket having parked in a bay full of KA- registered cars. I am planning to continue testing this scenario for a couple of more weeks to see if a KL- registered vehicle attracts the cops.

I need some honest opinion from my fellow BHP'ians (esp. the ones who use KL- registered vehicles in BLR) whether i should go for KL-registered new car or buy the new car from BLR by shelling out an extra 50K (Thanks to Road tax!). Please advice, as i need to nail down the deal by this month end.
Old 26th August 2013, 10:24   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzone799 View Post
Friends, I am planning to buy a new Fiat Punto Dynamic from Kerala next month.

Suggest you buy the car from Bangalore. With a KL registered car would you would be draw more attention with the RTO squad during your drives here.

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 10:34   #73
BHPian

I drove a DL registered car in BLR for almost 1.5 yrs, without any problem. As long as you do not breach any traffic rules, I don't feel any cop is going to stop you.

Infact, I went all around southern india in my car without any issue.
Old 26th August 2013, 10:57   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

I bought a bike when I was working in Hyderabad for a year and brought it to Bangalore when I moved back home. So, been using an AP-registered bike in Bangalore for the past couple of years. Not because I've not paid the tax, in fact I got the NoC before leaving Hyderabad and paid the Karnataka tax within a month after I came back. But I also had all the original bike docs stolen along with a bag soon after that. Did all the paperwork, FIR etc., but the process of getting a KA number has still not happened; partly due to laziness on my part.

I thought I would be stopped every day, but to my considerable surprise, that's not happened as yet. I've had a cop pull out his Blackberry and check my number on it quite obviously at a traffic signal, but he didn't stop me.

So:

1. Probably the policy about not stopping vehicles only for checking papers/unless they have broken a traffic rule is really in effect.
2. Cops don't care about bikes.
3. My having paid tax is recorded in their files and that's enough.

But for whatever reason, I would still rather have a KA number. It would be peace of mind in any situation (in case of an accident, night checking, parking, theft, etc.) and considering it's just a percentage of what one spends on a vehicle, it's worth it.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 11:33   #75
BHPian

I have never faced any issue so far with KL or TN plates in the last one and a half years. The scene was a little different about three or four years ago and the cops used to stop us all the time back then. But nowadays there is no such problem and unless you violated some traffic rule you wont have any problem. I suggest you stick on with your plan of buying the car from Kerala itself. Anyways you will be driving to and from Kerala often.
nithin_86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks