Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2013, 22:08   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Non KA registered vehicles not welcomed in Karnataka!!!???

Quote:
And let's say- we do pay the tax in KA. Getting the refund from original state of registration is even more unnecessarily complicated.
Completely agree!

I faced this ten years back with my AP registered car in KA.

I have applied for the AP refund and have still not got it. Talk about Rs.35,000 still due to me with no interest or any confidence.

It is not easy to sell cars and buy cars just like that when we move places. Also, no policy is ever made to benefit the citizen in our country.
getsurya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 12:44   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Isn't the whole system of needing to pay road tax in every state separately un necessarily complicated already?
Exactly, that's the crux of this discussion. Who can and will be able to address this issue? Now with people moving around the country for better opportunities, the governance need to be sensitive and understand the issue and act. However they are seeing this as an opportunity to increase revenue!

Assuming that the system will still take time to change, isn't it still better to drive on the streets without having to worry on the said topic?
Old 30th August 2013, 13:00   #93
Senior - BHPian

Since road tax is paid to the state governments, you cant avoid paying it when you move to a new state.

The best possible solution would be to pay it as part of fuel and keep it same across all the states. (there is already a cess to that effect). People will still fuel in neighbouring states in some cities and deny the road tax to a state
Old 30th August 2013, 13:10   #94
Senior - BHPian

The road tax charged to central government employees is something like the cost of floor mats(cheap ones). The reason for that is because their jobs are transferable, if ordinary citizens can claim a refund, I am sure the useless babu can also be asked to spend some time trying to get the same from the government.

Needless to say, this privilege is extended to employees of single location PSUs, its not like they risk getting transferred. The only people who should be given a break are serving defence folks (and not their extended family).
Old 30th August 2013, 13:16   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Its easy to say- re register or buy. However, the procedures for the same are even more unnecessarily complicated. I tried to register my KL registered bike in TN once and was made to run around so much, canceled the whole idea.
Totally agree, when I moved to BLR from CHN in 2008 I thought I'd get NOC from CHN RTO and re-register my bike to KA since then I knew I'd be in BLR for at least 3 years. But just to an NOC I was made to run from pillar to post and asked for 1K bribe.

Just gave up on that idea and have been riding my TN registered bike in KA for the last few years.

Also doesn't the Central Motor Vehicle act say 1 year? Can the KA MV act be amended on such a clause where it directly contradicts the central one ?
Old 3rd February 2014, 12:43   #96
BHPian

I have an Enfield Thunderbird, bought and registered in Punjab in 2002. I intend to pay road-tax in Bangalore (yes, my own intention).

So I went to the Jayanagar RTO on Saturday (1st Feb, 2014) with all my bike documents and enquired on the process to pay road tax. But the person at the main counter inside (not reception) told me bluntly to bring invoice. That even from insurance IDV they don't consider anything. And that even 20 year old vehicles bring invoice, even I should.

Keep in mind I am doing this on my own so that I need not be tensed if there are traffic police or RTO checks on the road. So basically I am willing to pay money to the RTO, but they are not willing to help me give them money. But that irony is discussion for another time.

The main issue is that I do not have the invoice anymore, is there any workaround? I have following options :

1. Contact the dealer and see if they have a record of the invoice. I tried this, but the lady said they are not keeping old records beyond five years.
2. Try to get a copy of the invoice which was submitted to the district RTO in Punjab at the time of registration. Tough task, but seems most likely place to get a copy, assuming the paper has survived in the file for 12 years.
3. Get an affidavit in place of the invoice. I was advised on this by a local concierge service I contacted in this regard. But their charges of Rs. 800 for affidavit, and another Rs. 1000 for remaining process, on top of the road tax which I have to pay, does not seem worth it.

Any advice in this scenario? If anyone can share their (recent) experience, it would be most helpful.

NOTE : Also posted in this thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ow-what-2.html) as the invoice part is relevant. Posting here so that Bangalore RTO specific experience can be shared.
alamtiwana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 13:29   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamtiwana View Post
I have an Enfield Thunderbird, bought and registered in Punjab in 2002. I intend to pay road-tax in Bangalore (yes, my own intention).

So I went to the Jayanagar RTO on Saturday (1st Feb, 2014) with all my bike documents and enquired on the process to pay road tax. But the person at the main counter inside (not reception) told me bluntly to bring invoice. That even from insurance IDV they don't consider anything. And that even 20 year old vehicles bring invoice, even I should.

Keep in mind I am doing this on my own so that I need not be tensed if there are traffic police or RTO checks on the road. So basically I am willing to pay money to the RTO, but they are not willing to help me give them money. But that irony is discussion for another time.

The main issue is that I do not have the invoice anymore, is there any workaround? I have following options :

2. Try to get a copy of the invoice which was submitted to the district RTO in Punjab at the time of registration. Tough task, but seems most likely place to get a copy, assuming the paper has survived in the file for 12 years.
es not seem worth it.

Any advice in this scenario? If anyone can share their (recent) experience, it would be most helpful.

NOTE : Also posted in this thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ow-what-2.html) as the invoice part is relevant. Posting here so that Bangalore RTO specific experience can be shared.
IDV can be manipulated. Option 2 may be obtained by RTI, though how easy is the process, one cannot say. YOu might need to engage an RTO agent to assist.
Old 3rd February 2014, 13:56   #98
BHPian

While reading the name of the thread "Non KA registered vehicles not welcomed in Karnataka!!!???" the first thing that came to my mind is -This is not an isolated case with Karnataka. This is the case with many other states in this country.
I drive a KA registered car in Goa and everytime I take it out, I feel an air of hostility from the local registered car drivers, they honk unnecessarily, try to overtake at the narrowest roads, glance angrily while passing at times, also hurl some profanities if I unintentionally block their way for an extended period of time. But when I am driving my Goa registered car, suddenly all these irritants vanish and the same drivers are courteous and slow and fall in line.
Though this post is not in the context of this thread ( Outside KA registered vehicles targeted / hounded by RTO for tax purpose and fined heavily etc) the general tendency of irritation / abuse / one upmanship happens when ever a car enters a different state and longer it stays there, it becomes a marked object and the gazes say " you are different and you are in our territory, better be aware and be careful. you are not one amongst us you are an outsider"
The above is only an expression of my experience during my extended stay in Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra and Goa and I should also agree that I have found more friendly souls than otherwise in these places.
ashkamath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 15:05   #99
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
While reading the name of the thread "Non KA registered vehicles not welcomed in Karnataka!!!???" the first thing that came to my mind is -This is not an isolated case with Karnataka. This is the case with many other states in this country. ----------, it becomes a marked object and the gazes say " you are different and you are in our territory, better be aware and be careful. you are not one amongst us you are an outsider"
The above is only an expression of my experience during my extended stay in Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra and Goa and I should also agree that I have found more friendly souls than otherwise in these places.

We need to learn to remove blindly parochial, narrow-minded regionalism and start thinking of ourselves as "INDIANS" first.

I travel sometimes in Autos in Karnataka and in TN - I always love to speak to the Auto Drivers and engage with them - after all, a half hour journey is a nice time to use chatting with people.

I always find that the large majority of the simple, regular people of India, the Aam Aadmi, as it were, have no time for petty, silly parochial squabbles - they are too busy earning their daily bread and struggling at it!

Having said that, the moment someone creates a ruckus on the road and irrespective of whether he is the right or wrong, starts shouting and forms a mob, then the same, perfectly reasonable person(s) as described above, may suddenly, chameleon-like, have a complete change of colour and become a complete devil!

It is an uneasy status quo with parochialism incessantly rising and no longer a shadow as it was even ten years ago. Its inexorable rise is fuelled by the movies and political class.

This is bad for India as a whole.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 15:36   #100
BHPian

Quote:

I had the same issue 2 years back. I had a Honda Dio with AP registration and wanted to pay tax in Karnataka. I dint have the invoice so the inspector in the Yeshwantpur RTO was kind enough to give me a work around. He asked me to get a quote from the dealer for the same vehichle in Bangalore and he based on the current ex-showroom price he would calculate the road tax. I know I would have to spend few hundreds more so I agreed. I dint pay the Tax because of a different reason .. but the workaround looked sensible.
vinukm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 16:11   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Not exactly a personal experience. But may help. I was at the Jayanagar RTO last month and had to sign a form in the presence of the RTO officer and while I was waiting in his room he was engaged in discussion with a gentleman who had the exact same issue you have. If there was no way to get the invoice, his suggestion was to contact any dealer (or the company) and get a statement from them stating the ex-showroom price of the particular model in that particular year. He said the dealers/company would definitely have the information and would provide it. And this was sufficient to compute the tax.

Not sure if this actually worked, but maybe worth trying.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 16:58   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
I had the same issue 2 years back. I had a Honda Dio with AP registration and wanted to pay tax in Karnataka. I dint have the invoice so the inspector in the Yeshwantpur RTO was kind enough to give me a work around. He asked me to get a quote from the dealer for the same vehichle in Bangalore and he based on the current ex-showroom price he would calculate the road tax. I know I would have to spend few hundreds more so I agreed. I dint pay the Tax because of a different reason .. but the workaround looked sensible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Not exactly a personal experience. But may help. I was at the Jayanagar RTO last month and had to sign a form in the presence of the RTO officer and while I was waiting in his room he was engaged in discussion with a gentleman who had the exact same issue you have. If there was no way to get the invoice, his suggestion was to contact any dealer (or the company) and get a statement from them stating the ex-showroom price of the particular model in that particular year. He said the dealers/company would definitely have the information and would provide it. And this was sufficient to compute the tax.

Not sure if this actually worked, but maybe worth trying.
I have also read someplace that this is the correct way that they calculate. I was hopeful that the officials would be helpful but I was disappointed in the attitude I was shown.

I believe my case is not rare or unimaginable. Every RTO official responsible for tax cases will be aware of what to do in such a scenario. But their attitude is wrong. Instead of guiding the common citizen who is fulfilling his responsibility by walking into an RTO and willing to pay tax they are discouraging me.

Also, the form KMVT 14 was completely in Kannada. Not trying to raise a political discussion but that is also not helpful when you are trying to pay inter-state tax because it is a good chance you are not native of the state like your vehicle and would not know the state's language.

Ah well, I will figure something out. This weekend I will try my luck at a different RTO (Electronic City), maybe the officials will be more helpful there. I'll share my experience of the same.

Side Note : while researching I found that Punjab RTOs allow ONLINE payment of tax for other state registered vehicles plying in Punjab. That's a huge step forward and others should follow suit. I also sincerely hope the Vahaan initiative and uniform tax structure get off the ground soon.
alamtiwana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 15:17   #103
BHPian

Quote:
But their attitude is wrong. Instead of guiding the common citizen who is fulfilling his responsibility by walking into an RTO and willing to pay tax they are discouraging me.
This may very well due to a nexus among the babus and agents. Babu refuses - you go to the agent - agent charges a fee and pays a cut to the babu - your work gets done - all are happy!!

Try to get hold of the inspector directly. Wait for opportunities to talk to him; like when he is going for lunch, etc. Talk to him and you will get a workaround. He will definitely suggest a workaround, if there was one.

Quote:
Also, the form KMVT 14 was completely in Kannada. Not trying to raise a political discussion but that is also not helpful when you are trying to pay inter-state tax because it is a good chance you are not native of the state like your vehicle and would not know the state's language.
I faced a similar scenario while trying to get a Ration Card in 2009. Went to the local Food office, and was stunned to see the application form in Kannada. No one in the office was ready to assist us. Finally, had to take an acquaintance along and fill the form. Total lack of common sense, I would say.

If I recall correctly, even the Voter-Id form I was trying to fill in during last state elections had the same issue. Our neighbors helped us fill the forms. That we didn't receive any cards is a different story altogether!!

So -

1) One tries to be an honest citizen and tries to pay up the road tax voluntarily. Is the System helpful? No.
2) One tries to be an honest citizen and applies for a Ration Card to obtain a genuine LPG connection. Is the System helpful? No.
3) One tries to be a responsible citizen and applies for a Voter-id card in order to exercise one's rights. Is the System helpful? No.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 4th February 2014 at 15:24.
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 16:46   #104
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
I faced a similar scenario while trying to get a Ration Card in 2009. Went to the local Food office, and was stunned to see the application form in Kannada. No one in the office was ready to assist us. Finally, had to take an acquaintance along and fill the form. Total lack of common sense, I would say.

If I recall correctly, even the Voter-Id form I was trying to fill in during last state elections had the same issue.
Well if that is your definition of "stunning", then read this. You'll be baffled to say the least.

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/news/ind...w/15840844.cms

Can you imagine the Bangalore police communicating with the Interpol in Kannada?

Last edited by Oxy : 4th February 2014 at 16:48.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 17:30   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Also, the form KMVT 14 was completely in Kannada.

Ah well, I will figure something out. This weekend I will try my luck at a different RTO (Electronic City), maybe the officials will be more helpful there. I'll share my experience of the same.
Check out all forms in English on RTO web site
http://www.rto.kar.nic.in/
Go to Forms link, and all forms are available to print.
sriturl is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks