Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2009, 10:55   #181
BHPian

Here's one failed attempt on me by HP CoCo in Saidapet/Nandanam the one with the Subway and Xenos shops.

I went there one night, the bunk was almost empty with just 1 motorbike filling up, an attendant came up to the window and asked if it was petrol/diesel, I confirmed as petrol and mentioned full tank. I got out of the car and opened up the fuel lid, then went to the dispenser to check for the resetting to zero.

At this time a second attendant came up and asked me if I wanted to have the windscreen cleaned, I ignored him and watched to ensure that the meter was set to 0, as soon as the attendant put the nozzle in the car, I asked to put it in auto cut-off mode, he simply ignored and me and continued, I asked him again when he said that when I am filling for 200 bucks there is no need for auto cutoff. So he stopped at 200. I asked him who told him it was 200 bucks because I had mentioned a full tank, these guys were just pointing at each other. I asked them to fill up the tank in auto cut-off so he continued.

After filling up they claimed that they had actually filled in for Rs.2000, i.e Rs.1800 the second time and Rs.200 the first time with a reset while this was not true. So I asked them to get the bill from the machine, I knew that it is not possible to start the dispenser without the tags they have. So when the attendant got the bill out , sure enough it was only for Rs.1800.

I went up to the supervisor and told him that 2 guys are not required to dispense fuel for 1 car. I did not indicate that they were trying to cheat me because once they saw the bill they realised that I knew about the tags and the automatic receipt from the machine,and they were literally begging for mercy because a complaint would mean an immediate termination.

So in short, the e-fuel bunks advertised by HP will make sure that the resetting tricks will not work,always ask for the bill from the machine, if the guy claims that the machine has run out of paper, you can ask for the bill from another dispenser since they are on a network.

But you still have to watch out that they do not use the tags to reset the dispenser.

Last edited by indivic : 2nd July 2009 at 10:57.
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:04   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
So in short, the e-fuel bunks advertised by HP will make sure that the resetting tricks will not work,always ask for the bill from the machine, if the guy claims that the machine has run out of paper, you can ask for the bill from another dispenser since they are on a network.

But you still have to watch out that they do not use the tags to reset the dispenser.
Thanks @indivic that was very helpful. As of now I am tanking up everytime from a single bunk. So the refills are from tank up to tank up. Rearly intermediate. This way I am used to the digits on the meter and the cash to be paid.
Its not the money, but the feeling of being cheated that gets me the most.
By the way is there a Shell bunk opened recently on the road from Diary Circle to Lalbaug ? If yes I'd be rubbing my hands with glee.
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:05   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Good you knew it!
Tags - did you mean that 'watch' kinda thing they have to show to a reader on the dispenser machine. I saw them on BP stations recently. Attendant said, pump will work only if that is shown to the machine. Not sure, if this is for customer's protection or the company itself.
Old 2nd July 2009, 12:38   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
By the way is there a Shell bunk opened recently on the road from Diary Circle to Lalbaug ? If yes I'd be rubbing my hands with glee.
Yes. you are right. This is on the left side when you are on the way from dairy circle to Lalbagh just before the lalbagh circle. I guess there was BP or HP pump in the same place earlier.
Old 2nd July 2009, 13:37   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkishore_77 View Post
Yes. you are right. This is on the left side when you are on the way from dairy circle to Lalbagh just before the lalbagh circle. I guess there was BP or HP pump in the same place earlier.
@bkishore_77, thanks a lot for confirming this buddy. I used to tank up on Hosur road on the way to Electronic city. Now this would be very close. I think they have stopped their 24 hour service now.
I have filled as early as 3:45 Am near City Market flyover while leaving for NH4.
Old 6th July 2009, 10:44   #186
BHPian

I have been cheated twice in chennai.

Interestingly both the times, they used distraction technique. I always make it point to get down from the vehicle and be personally present near the nozzle to inspect. There are usually 2 persons standing near the pump. one pumping in the fuel the other handling the cash. Just as when they start pumpimg fuel, they ask me if i would pay by cash or credit card and ask for the money, by the time we answer them and give them the cash, which takes all but 5 secs, the pump meter runs past 500 rs. This was how i was cheated twice. Both the time i realized quickly and argued with them and warned them of taking the matter up to the court they relented and filled in another 500 rs of fuel.

The first pump was the one next to shanthi theater on mount road and the other was in guindy. as u get down from the guindy railway bridge there are 2 or 3 pumps on the left hand side, the one cheated me was the second one.
Old 14th July 2009, 01:02   #187

I'm guess the pumps using the distraction technique are mostly IOC pumps. Somehow all IOC guys have trouble hearing 300 or 600 even after yelling in tamil and english and showing how many fingers as well. They always end up putting 100, and then continue. Worst ones are at arcot road near meenakshi college IOC and Pondy bazaar end , near globus IOC.

Are machine bills mandatory at HP bunks ? So if i fill say 300 and ask for 100 more , he must reset with tag before dispensing and should i get two bills from the machine ?

Anyone get this cheating on phone cam? would be really helpfull to get proper evidence.
Old 18th July 2009, 19:01   #188
BHPian

Guys,

My story is in complete contrast to what normally happens at the petrol pumps. One fine day while starting my car I realised that my car was low on fuel. So I pulled in to the nearest station and parked at a vacant pump. There were several attendants just roaming around, chatting, daydreaming and no one even bothers to attend to me.

After multiple honks and an angry yell, one of the guys comes strolling towards me. I express my displeasure at being made to wait even when all of them are idle and tell him to give me fuel worth Rs. 500. This dude pumps the fuel, shuts the lid and again wanders off like a zombie somehwre out of sight. Now there are atleast eight attendants and none of them bothers to come for the money. After a few times of sticking my arm out honking and waving my credit card at them and another guy comes and says he'll send the cashier. This guy disappears as well and leaves me waiting for another few minutes.

Being a bombay resident I'm not a very patient creature and tell myself to f**K it! I proceed towards the air pump. While the boy at the pump is filling air I step out of the car, walk towards one of the attendants and give him a piece of my mind. He tells me " saab abhi bhejta hoon cashier ko" and walks away. I return to the car and stand outside waiting for someone to come and guess what..............nobody's bothered!! By now Im completely pissed off with these lazy, careless ba$****s and just got in the car and left. But before leaving I made sure to get the phone number from the service station signboard.

I called the manager the next day and asked him if they were short of RS. 500 in their count for the day. He had no idea about it so I asked for the owner's number narrated the whole incident to him and gave him a piece of my mind. I told him to take some corrective measures or else he would ruin his business. The next time I passed by I made sure to drop an envelpe for the owner containg Rs. 500. I avoid going there anymore as I dont like to give my business to someone who doesnt care about customer service.
Old 29th July 2009, 03:43   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Guys,

My story is in complete contrast to what normally happens at the petrol pumps. One fine day while starting my car I realised that my car was low on fuel. So I pulled in to the nearest station and parked at a vacant pump. There were several attendants just roaming around, chatting, daydreaming and no one even bothers to attend to me.

After multiple honks and an angry yell, one of the guys comes strolling towards me. I express my displeasure at being made to wait even when all of them are idle and tell him to give me fuel worth Rs. 500. This dude pumps the fuel, shuts the lid and again wanders off like a zombie somehwre out of sight. Now there are atleast eight attendants and none of them bothers to come for the money. After a few times of sticking my arm out honking and waving my credit card at them and another guy comes and says he'll send the cashier. This guy disappears as well and leaves me waiting for another few minutes.

Being a bombay resident I'm not a very patient creature and tell myself to f**K it! I proceed towards the air pump. While the boy at the pump is filling air I step out of the car, walk towards one of the attendants and give him a piece of my mind. He tells me " saab abhi bhejta hoon cashier ko" and walks away. I return to the car and stand outside waiting for someone to come and guess what..............nobody's bothered!! By now Im completely pissed off with these lazy, careless ba$****s and just got in the car and left. But before leaving I made sure to get the phone number from the service station signboard.

I called the manager the next day and asked him if they were short of RS. 500 in their count for the day. He had no idea about it so I asked for the owner's number narrated the whole incident to him and gave him a piece of my mind. I told him to take some corrective measures or else he would ruin his business. The next time I passed by I made sure to drop an envelpe for the owner containg Rs. 500. I avoid going there anymore as I dont like to give my business to someone who doesnt care about customer service.
PM me the address of that petrol pump.
Old 29th July 2009, 09:12   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@bkishore_77, thanks a lot for confirming this buddy. I used to tank up on Hosur road on the way to Electronic city. Now this would be very close. I think they have stopped their 24 hour service now.
I have filled as early as 3:45 Am near City Market flyover while leaving for NH4.
FYI! Shell bunk on Lalbaug road is open from 6AM to 12 AM (18 hrs).
No short fuelling. Decent namaste, good service, free windshield wipe, personal attention , and leaves you with a feeling of not being cheated for a change. Kudos to Shell, you guys run a class outfit.

When I filled @ 3:45 AM at city market Shell bunk, the attendant was ever so alert and at that hour too he was very active, courteous and cleaned the winshield, asked me if I was interested in chips. I wanted to tip that guy but I refrained. I appreciated the work he was doing and left for Pune all smiles.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 29th July 2009 at 09:24.
Old 29th July 2009, 09:22   #191
BANNED

Quote:
FYI! Shell bunk on Lalbaug road is open from 6AM to 12 PM (18 hrs).
You mean 12:00 AM i guess?
Old 29th July 2009, 09:25   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
You mean 12:00 AM i guess?
Ooops! My bad. I stand corrected. Original post corrected.
Old 29th July 2009, 12:36   #193
Senior - BHPian

I always fill at a Shell bunk. First I fill up to auto cut-off and once it is over, tell them to continue manually till the tank is full, by removing the nozzle out of the tank and inserting it just an inch in to the mouth of the intake. I stand near the nozzle all the time, even though they are very straight and never try any hanky-panky.

Interestingly, almost all the pump attendants here are girls, with guys manning only the cash counter, engine oil check and air filling points. May be because girls will be less inclined to cheat?

Last edited by Gansan : 29th July 2009 at 12:40.
Old 29th July 2009, 12:56   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Here's one failed attempt on me by HP CoCo in Saidapet/Nandanam the one with the Subway and Xenos shops.

I asked him again when he said that when I am filling for 200 bucks there is no need for auto cutoff. So he stopped at 200. I asked him who told him it was 200 bucks because I had mentioned a full tank, these guys were just pointing at each other.
@indivic, i fuel from the same petrol bunk that you mentioned always and i also encountered the same situation that you mentioned. By the time i opened up the fuel lid and got out of the car, they put in the nozzle and said thay have put for rs 200. i then asked them to fill up the tank and ended up paying 200+ refilll charges. It did not strike me to ask them for a bill though. (point to note is that i was sitting in the car at that time asking them to fill and came out when i felt something fishy but stil taken for a ride.. i guess)

thereafter i always come out of the car and only when they show the tag and resets to zero, then i allow them to fill up and always in auto cut mode only.

thanks for highlighting buddy.
Old 29th July 2009, 13:02   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I always fill at a Shell bunk. even though they are very straight and never try any hanky-panky.
Had another mis-adventure at shell Porur, chennai and then at Shell, Ekaduthangal Chennai. Both the times, asked for full tank, i was out of the car and watching.

suddenly after 5 ltrs or so, there was an auto cut and a bill came. but the meter was not reset and they just continued to fill up and after the auto-cut for the second time another bill came.

I was asked to pay for both the bills when in effect the meter was not reset and only auto cut happened twice and there were two bills.

I told them i will not pay since it could be a system problem the first bill came but then they said shell does not tamper etc and was made to pay both bills.

was not sure, if i had been cheated or so

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks