Re: Widespread traffic police checking in Bangalore

PSA for Bangalore residents
Attached Thumbnails
Widespread traffic police checking in Bangalore-bang.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 11:44   #152
BHPian

I just saw tow truck carrying away a ton of bikes, either for incorrect parking, or more likely just existing on the road without the owner present to prevent it from getting towed away.

What broke my heart was one scooter with a dunzo bag still attached. Do these overzealous tow trucks have no empathy at all for someone trying to make a daily living? Not only would he likely have to pay a steep fine, he'd also lose out on hours of his salary. Truly despicable creatures, these tow truck operators.
d3mon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 15:16   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Do these overzealous tow trucks have no empathy at all for someone trying to make a daily living? Not only would he likely have to pay a steep fine, he'd also lose out on hours of his salary.
I agree they are quick to jump the gun in order to tow away vehicles and I am not sure if the vehicle in this case was parked correctly in the right place, but if someone has parked illegally, what does their profession have to do with the person being exempt from the law? If one has broken the law, is it alright to give a free pass since he/she is earning daily wage?
nikhn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 15:34   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhn View Post
I agree they are quick to jump the gun in order to tow away vehicles and I am not sure if the vehicle in this case was parked correctly in the right place
I'm not sure either, but it's extremely likely that they picked it up even if it was parked carefully without impeding traffic. That's just how these trucks operate in bangalore. Their goal is not to help the public, but instead just to make a quick buck. I see them picking up bikes completely off the road all the time because it didn't have a P board. That's completely illogical.

In the less probable case of an actual wrong parking, it's again likely that the rider would've been on his way in a few minutes post a pickup or delivery. A wise man once said - If you can be right or kind, choose to be kind. That's all I can say for now.
d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 15:43   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
I'm not sure either, but it's extremely likely that they picked it up even if it was parked carefully without impeding traffic. That's just how these trucks operate in Bangalore. I see them picking up bikes completely off the road all the time because it didn't have a P board.
Not denying this.

Quote:
In the less probable case of an actual wrong parking, it's again likely that the rider would've been on his way in a few minutes post a pickup or delivery. A wise man once said - If you can be right or kind, choose to be kind.
It can be said for the other vehicle owners as well. They might have parked to pick up some quick groceries or medicines. I still believe a person's profession / economic background should not play a part in the way laws are applied even if they are incorrectly implemented.
Old 13th March 2021, 16:28   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Not denying this.

It can be said for the other vehicle owners as well. They might have parked to pick up some quick groceries or medicines. I still believe a person's profession / economic background should not play a part in the way laws are applied even if they are incorrectly implemented.
This should cut both ways - how is it that cars can be parked on the same footpaths where two wheelers cannot? These tow trucks target only two wheelers exclusively, pointedly ignoring the four wheelers breaking the same laws!

As for the profession of the lawbreakers - I prefer that the fines be proportional to the income. In the case of government servants, judges, police etc etc the fines should be punitive to the extreme. In fact, I strongly feel that policemen breaking even the simplest and most ridiculous laws should lose their jobs permanently. You don't want to hear what I have to say about the rest...
Quote:
The fine was so extreme because in Finland, some traffic fines, as well as fines for shoplifting and violating securities-exchange laws, are assessed based on earnings—and Kuisla's declared income was €6.5 million per year. Exorbitant fines like this are infrequent, but not unheard of: In 2002, a Nokia executive was fined the equivalent of $103,000 for going 45 in a 30 zone on his motorcycle
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...rticle/387484/
Old 13th March 2021, 16:46   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
This should cut both ways - how is it that cars can be parked on the same footpaths where two wheelers cannot? These tow trucks target only two wheelers exclusively, pointedly ignoring the four wheelers breaking the same laws!
Don't know how cars came into the picture here. I was referring to other two wheeler owners who had their vehicles taken away.

I have seen tow trucks dragging away cars as well. Well, at least in the areas nearby where I lived. Of course a tow truck cannot take away the same number of cars as they would carry two wheelers. The cars they couldn't tow are clamped.

Quote:
As for the profession of the lawbreakers - I prefer that the fines be proportional to the income.
I honestly do not want to get into this argument but sure. On one hand you say this.

Quote:
In fact, I strongly feel that policemen breaking even the simplest and most ridiculous laws should lose their jobs permanently.
On the other hand you say this. Policemen with their current salary should lose their jobs for breaking the law rather than being fined? I am assuming you know how much they are paid?

Please don't start arguing about the money they source from other means. That's altogether a different discussion.

Expecting to implement laws and fine policies from developed countries when people are complaining about existing laws is futile. It's difficult for people in our country to follow the current laws at the bare minimum.

Last edited by nikhn : 13th March 2021 at 16:48. Reason: Additional information
Old 13th March 2021, 18:15   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Don't know how cars came into the picture here. I was referring to other two wheeler owners who had their vehicles taken away...

Expecting to implement laws and fine policies from developed countries when people are complaining about existing laws is futile. It's difficult for people in our country to follow the current laws at the bare minimum.
Multiple logical issues in your arguments.

We are discussing the police unfairly picking on two wheelers. I pointed out the unfairness of not punishing 4-wheelers on the same footpath and within the purview of the same policeman.

Coming to the profession of the law breaker, I agree that breaking the law is breaking the law. But I also feel that the punishment should be a deterrent - so a 100 rupee fine does not affect a billionaire the same way as it does a person who earns 15000 rupees per month using his two wheeler. Therefore, I pointed out the precedent set by some Scandinavian countries.

In addition, I have, as have others on this forum, noticed that government employees are a privileged lot. Especially, the police. For them, I suggested a bigger and stronger dose of pain - loss of their job. Reasoning here is that they must have exemplary behavior in public, and yes, I have no sympathy for the police or government employees. In fact, if a judge breaks the law, I would like to see him hanged - but this is only my opinion, unfortunately.

I don't understand why we should not implement laws and ideas borrowed from across the world if they help us. Would you rather stick to bullock carts, and go with the NIH (Not Invented Here) syndrome? We see our government pick up fascist ideas from across the world and our civil services are a relic of the British raj - we should get rid of bad ideas and replace them with good ones. "Atmanirbhar" is a great slogan, recycled by our current set of politicians, plagiarized from those they supposedly despise - in truth, it is bad policy, always was.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks