Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2020, 07:02   #91
BHPian

Re: Widespread traffic police checking in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
I’m planning to drive down to Bangalore with my MH registered vehicle. Should I expect frequent checks in Bangalore? I have my PUC, Insurance, RC, DL.
The police will stop and ask you for documents. However if you have all documents handy, they will wave you through. Bonus points if you can speak in Kannada. They may not even ask for anything apart from your licence.
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 08:35   #92
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
The police will stop and ask you for documents.
When they stop any vehicle, they're also checking for dues on past violations and if there are more than 2, they usually ask the motorists to pay up.

*Being able to speak the local language is always a bonus - all over India, not just in Bangalore.

Last edited by NPV : 1st November 2020 at 08:37.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 09:57   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Confused by this 'walking away' thingy. So can he dump his khatara scooter and avoid the rest of the fines? Has his DL been seized and duly cancelled by the RTO?

Surely the story should have ended by the police collecting the full fine? He should be made a proper example of.

Last edited by itwasntme : 1st November 2020 at 09:58.
itwasntme is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 10:02   #94
BHPian

I was caught too on my Dio a couple of days back near MG Road. The moment I got down my bike I informed the cop that there have been two violations which have been filed wrongly, I would not be paying for those. There were no other violations on my bike's number apart from those so I was confident.

He passed on my DL to the senior and I explained him politely "Sir I have not even been to that area and I live far away from where the violation has been reported", he was a cool head, he asked me where do you live and where do you give bike for service. "Sir I stay with my bike the whole time the service is carried out, there is no chance the mechanic would take my bike out for a ride".

Added bonus I also showed him the message where I have reported about this issue on Twitter tagging BTP.

He suggested me to visit the TMC HQ near Indian Express and verify the footage/photo of the said violations and get it cleared if I was right and the cop let me go.

TBH I was surprised they let me go without billing or I was just lucky.
FURY_44 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 11:00   #95
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Surely the story should have ended by the police collecting the full fine? He should be made a proper example of.
I'm not exaggerating when I say this - if the traffic cops were to diligently note down the vehicle numbers of repeat offenders on new Thippasandra / BEML main road, most of the traders/shopkeepers and street vendors would fall in the same category. Since they're 'known' people, the cops just turn a blind eye.
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 11:52   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I'm not exaggerating when I say this - if the traffic cops were to diligently note down the vehicle numbers of repeat offenders on new Thippasandra / BEML main road, most of the traders/shopkeepers and street vendors would fall in the same category. Since they're 'known' people, the cops just turn a blind eye.
I too stay in the same area and ever since the Thippasandra main road was made one way, the number of bikes, autos and even cars coming down the wrong side is exponential!.

There are a million side roads with about a billion shops and houses on either side and people neither have patience or time to go around the main road .
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 19:56   #97
Senior - BHPian

Was flagged down today somewhere in BTM. With a sun film on, I typically expect this. Paid the necessary "negotiated" fine and moved on.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 08:56   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
TBH I was surprised they let me go without billing or I was just lucky.
It's socioeconomic profiling - don't know if it is illegal or unethical. However, he also knows that spending your time verifying the footage is going to be punishment enough. Are they going to penalize anyone for the incorrect tickets? Are they going to compensate you if you've been wrongly fined? Most of us would rather pay or "negotiate" with them and leave it at that. We should set aside our western sense of morality when it comes to dealing with such issues - unless we solve the major issues in our society fighting these sort of things will drain our energy without any real change in the system. Trust me, I've been there.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 09:15   #99
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Starting yesterday (Thursday), Bangalore traffic police will be suspending/temporarily canceling driving license of violators. I could not find any mention of wrong side driving/riding as an offence that will attract the cancellation punishment and this is in line with what we see on the streets when cops are out on their enforcement drives. Why do they turn a blind eye to this violation that is so dangerous ?
https://www.newindianexpress.com/cit...s-2219997.html
NPV is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 09:57   #100
Senior - BHPian

That article says:

Quote:
...motorists will face a minimum three-month suspension of their driver’s licence (DL) if found driving or riding without driving licence (DL)
If found not having a license, then which license are they going to suspend?
balenoed_ is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 19:48   #101
BHPian

That is, if you are not carrying your license with you.

It is very very common here. " Sir I do have a license. It is back home. I had to take my friend's bike from somewhere to somewhere as someone is in hospital. Please let me go now".
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 06:29   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Why do they turn a blind eye to this violation that is so dangerous?
Big mystery to me too! I think that after drunken driving and jumping red lights, this menace of wrong-side driving/riding is the most dangerous thing on Bangalore roads. And in some parts of the city it's more prevalent than the other offenses.

Part of the reason could be because (and i think you have pointed it out in another thread) the people going the wrong way in certain roads are locals who will argue and get away, so the cop on the street just doesn't bother. (Esp when there are softer targets to make up revenue!)

The BTP has done an awesome job with their drives to crack down on drunk driving. I hope they take up this offense in the same widespread way too.

Last edited by am1m : 7th November 2020 at 06:31.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 08:11   #103
Senior - BHPian

True that am1m. The sheer effort and intent shown in reducing DUI cases was a great move.

Half that effort to stop the wrong side driving will be such a welcome move. The number of people in various sizes of bikes and cars and auto and sometimes even lorries , doing the wrong side driving is just so high these days.
jkrishnakj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 10:42   #104
BRV
BHPian

Traffic Police is full out to collect pending dues by visiting home

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/79139195.cms
Old 10th November 2020, 15:18   #105
BHPian

Apologies for the grainy pic, but this had to be shared. This car did NOTHING wrong, moved on green and was within the speed limit and noise limit and both passengers had masks on. IND plates clearly visible too. Only issue was out of state registration and no zero on the plates. However, the vigour with which they jumped out to seize this soft target is disgusting.

Best is to check one's fine status here http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.gov.in/Default.aspx

and try and avoid all contact with these guys who are out on a rampage to make up for lost time.
Attached Thumbnails
Widespread traffic police checking in Bangalore-img_7172.jpeg  

Ash_vtec is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks