Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2021, 13:03   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Widespread traffic police checking in Bangalore

This happened to me on Saturday (9th January 2021) at around 4 30 pm

While returning from Bellary to Bangalore, on outer ring road(near kamakshi palya nagarabhavi main road) there was an interceptor. I was caught for over speeding because i was at 72 kmph as per interceptor speed sensing machine whereas legal speed within city limits is 60 kmph.

I accepted my mistake, because I was used to highway speeds just few minutes earlier and continued in same mindset. So, i said sorry and was ready to pay fine of 1000.

But the inspector said he wanted to help me and demanded only 500 but with out bill. I was not ready for the deal and insisted for the receipt since I didn't want to bribe.

Then with great reluctance, he cut the receipt but started giving lame reasons to enhance the penalty amount because I didn't agree for bribing.

Am really worried, how this bribing can be stopped in India and how to live a peaceful life with such stupid inspectors in the profession.

Last edited by gkveda : 11th January 2021 at 13:05.
gkveda is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 16:18   #122
Senior - BHPian

Worrying indeed. I had parked the scooter right under the 'PARKING' board in Jayanagar 3rd block, for a few minutes, just to pay my broadband bill. And, they took my vehicle. While at first I thought it was stolen, a visit to the police station revealed they have parked all such vehicles in an isolated area under the metro flyover. The guys are just not ready to release the vehicle, saying the parking is "for cars" only, not two wheelers. The challan amount is Rs 1650 but the guys will let you go if you pay a bribe of Rs650, and 99% of them paid this bribe (Around 20 bikes, and 4 cars). Thankfully, there were no scratches on the bike. I called a relative who is a senior cop and got my vehicle released. But this is plain cheating, and the money isn't going to the Govt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Am really worried, how this bribing can be stopped in India and how to live a peaceful life with such stupid inspectors in the profession.
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 21:27   #123
BHPian

I was stopped on my bike for literally no reason at all at this spot, the by-pass that connects Indiranagar 100ft road & Sai Baba Temple Road.

I stopped but questioned why I was being pulled over. No reply, cop obstructed the way & instructed to comply. I calmly did, but was in NO mood to be calm if I was bullied. I demanded why they've stopped, they simply say they saw the bike number & stopped! By my facial expression, they sense I'm not going to accept loose talk, yet demanded to know where I was coming from & going to, but in a menacing way as if I was upto something terrible! I told them, "I'm going to my auditors office, but how does it matter?". Instead of replying, the officer was more offended that I questioned back! He let me go with a warning not to question why I was stopped by them!

Guys, if you think I over-reacted, please ask ANYONE familiar with the history of that specific road. It has been perennially terrible with potholes like large craters since more than a decade! There is NO possibility of ANYONE breaking any rule on that "road" as it is a simple 1 way that barely has any breakable traffic rule. There is no scope for (5) traffic cops to be standing there to stop vehicles from any kind of violations!
WorkingGuru is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 22:31   #124
BHPian

Last week I had been to SP road to buy some electronic components. The road was choked with 2 wheelers, as usual. Some people who could not find parking had someone else waiting for them with the vehicle so that they could remove the vehicle if the police were to arrive there. Finally managed to find parking in a small space in the smallest of the by lanes, hurriedly picked up what I wanted and returned. It is better to travel by bus to KR Market and walk to SP road than trying to find the parking for two wheeler. Interestingly some shop keepers ask if the vehicle is parked 'safely' before asking what one wants !

Last time I was not aware of the zealousness with which they take away the two wheelers and by the time I was back - within 10 minutes - my two wheeler was missing. People mentioned I can see my vehicle near the town hall circle and lo there it was. Paid fine 10x times the cost of the component I came to buy

Last edited by AltoLXI : 11th January 2021 at 22:34.
AltoLXI is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 22:51   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Last week I had been to SP road to buy some electronic components. Paid fine 10x times the cost of the component I came to buy
I find parking in Unity building further ahead and walking back to be less stressful. I've never had to pay more than Rs.50 be it car or bike as I don't take more than an hour to buy what I want.

I used to struggle with two wheeler parking on SP road until I discovered it's much easier to simply pay and park at Unity building than worry about your vehicle getting scratched or worse towed where they damage it without care.
shashank.nk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 09:13   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I find parking in Unity building further ahead and walking back to be less stressful. I've never had to pay more than Rs.50 be it car or bike as I don't take more than an hour to buy what I want.

I used to struggle with two wheeler parking on SP road until I discovered it's much easier to simply pay and park at Unity building than worry about your vehicle getting scratched or worse towed where they damage it without care.
I visited SP road at least 4 times in the last 5 months and have always parked here. In fact I always have parked here but off late I had to visit here quite regularly and hence my latest experience.

You are always assured of a safe parking space and the walk to your favorite electronics or a tools shop is a matter of 8-10 minutes.

Only 2 weeks before, I noticed empty slots right in front of Town Hall and when I entered here, there was guard who stopped me at the barricade. I requested him that I will return back in under 90 minutes and he agreed to let me park there. I paid him 30 bucks when I vacated the place later.

All in all, the Unity Building remains the most hassle-free parking spot for even cars If you have work around SP Road and NR road or even some of the Banks and Insurance offices here.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 09:32   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are travelling by 2 wheeler, another option is BBMP Dasappa government hospital. It has ample parking space on the inside and no one bothers if you just park your 2 wheeler in some corner and go out of the back opening which leads you right onto SP road.

Cars can also be parked inside but I have faced objections from some people who do not allow to park. There is no security guard per se but some random people of the hospital who object you to park inside the government hospital. Last month my friend forcibly resisted and parked his Skoda inside to visit SP road. On coming back the bonnet and ORVM was scratched with key. There is no accountability. So would not recommend parking 4 wheeler inside unless you are someone who works with the state/central government and can show the ID card. 2 wheelers , no one bothers. Just park it discreetly.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 17:40   #128
Senior - BHPian

Coming soon to somewhere near you. Bengaluru traffic police is planning special drives to book traffic violations - News.
Quote:
All the traffic police stations in Bengaluru have been directed to conduct a special drive and book the maximum number of cases pertaining to traffic violations, when the entire country observes National Road Safety month.

As per the letter written by BR Ravikanthe Gowda, Joint Commissioner of Police (traffic), Bengaluru City to all the traffic police stations in the City, police inspectors are expected to ensure the number of cases booked in their jurisdiction is much more than in the past. The top cop has mentioned ‘book maximum cases’ at least twice in the two-page letter.
Attached Thumbnails
Widespread traffic police checking in Bangalore-tv.jpg  

Last edited by airbus : 20th January 2021 at 17:51.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 18:23   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Coming soon to somewhere near you. Bengaluru traffic police is planning special drives to book traffic violations.
What does this mean? Can I overspeed on the days marked for helmetless driving day? If they catch me can I point to this article and say 'Saar today you have to catch helmetless riders saar' and will they let me go?

Last edited by nagr22 : 20th January 2021 at 18:25.
nagr22 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 19:48   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I find parking in Unity building further ahead and walking back to be less stressful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
If you are travelling by 2 wheeler, another option is BBMP Dasappa government hospital. It has ample parking space on the inside and no one bothers if you just park your 2 wheeler in some corner and go out of the back opening which leads you right onto SP road.
Another alternative is the paid parking behind the LIC offices, slightly ahead of the theater (sharada?? talkies,, not sure of the name). It is also well organized.
Old 9th February 2021, 20:33   #131
Senior - BHPian

As lot of people are interacting with BTP on twitter about evidence of traffic violations raised, I ran a check against my registration number and found a parking violation raised recently. GM Palya / Mallesh Palya Main Road is wide enough to park on one side and I always ensure that my parking does not inconvenience others. There was no "No Parking" sign, so the violation is raised as "Parking in a Main Road". It was a Sunday afternoon and considering that BTP patrol is taking photos on Sundays, it seems they are really on an overdrive and have a target to achieve.

Moral of the story: Park only at places you see a Parking sign or you know it's legally permitted.
Attached Images

airbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 09:19   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There was no "No Parking" sign, so the violation is raised as "Parking in a Main Road". It was a Sunday afternoon and considering that BTP patrol is taking photos on Sundays, it seems they are really on an overdrive and have a target to achieve.

Moral of the story: Park only at places you see a Parking sign or you know it's legally permitted.
I took my friend to the Adugodi Thief Station as she doesn't know the local language, it was a case of 2-wheeler parking on a normal commercial road which was dug up, and the 2-wheeler was parked over the muddy area which no vehicle can traverse on, anyway. What followed during a conversation with the friendly khaki thief was shocking to say the least.

According to him :

1) No need of No Parking signs to tow a vehicle

2) Logic and thinking must be used when parking a vehicle

3) Vehicle parked in narrower stretches on the same road where parking is allowed, may be towed due to traffic interference.

4) Esteemed engineers and town-planners have already decided all this, who are we mere mortals to question their logic?

5) Any disputes and you need to go to XYZ dept at ABC location, if you want the vehicle released, pay and I'll unlock the vehicle, else you'll only lose more time and money, blah blah.

The helmet strap was torn and it and the whole vehicle was covered in 2 inches of sand.

I've never heard so many lies/illogical statements come out of one mouth in under 5 minutes.

The inmates have taken over the asylum, that's all I can say. Let them make more and more draconian rules so that we can follow them and stand tall by calling ourselves great citizens.

Last edited by dark.knight : 10th February 2021 at 09:20.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 09:56   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
1) No need of No Parking signs to tow a vehicle
Especially this, reminds of an episode that dates back to more than a decade when it actually happened.

Just like the way one shouldn't speed beyond 60 in the absence of board/signage, I was told back then that in the absence of a no parking sign, that particular spot must not be assumed to be a parking spot either!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
On New BEL road when I had once parked the car in front of a More Store waiting for wife to shop for groceries, a constable comes and asks me to remove my car as its "No Parking" Zone whereas I knew that the whole road had absolutely no signs whatsoever and for the first time I was being told that its a No parking zone.

When I asked the cop for signs, he asked me to talk to Saahebru balancing himself on that 150cc Bike. Apparently the Saahebru asked me if I ever read news papers and when I respond in assertive, he says they had passed a Gazette Notification few days back that has made this entire road a "No Parking Zone" and hence no boards/signs as yet.

So the point was - If you are pulled over for a violation, carry all the newspapers from the last few months .
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 10:12   #134
BHPian

There is a scam going with traffic light counters. Experienced this first hand at the Cubbon Road traffic signal (next to the Defence Canteen Stores).
I observed that at times, the countdown counter goes from a number directly to zero. I was shocked when crossing the signal, the signal went straight from 15 seconds left directly to zero. Vehicles get caught on the zebra crossing and the traffic cop walks from his post with his mobile camera and starts taking pictures.
Tried to video this scam, but the next time probably because the cop saw we were filming the counter, did not make the counter go directly to zero.
This is a serious scam and we are planning to report this to the authorities.
I dont know whether this is being done at other traffic signals though have experienced it first hand at this signal.
p.s. Saw this yesterday at the same signal when from 20 seconds left, it immediately came down to zero. As usual cop came with camera taking pictures of the cars stuck at the zebra crossing.

Last edited by motorguy : 10th February 2021 at 10:18.
motorguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 10:32   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
GM Palya / Mallesh Palya Main Road is wide enough to park on one side and I always ensure that my parking does not inconvenience others. There was no "No Parking" sign, so the violation is raised as "Parking in a Main Road".
Wow, that's crazy! Have the cops towed all those cabs and tempos who park on that road all day first and whose drivers urinate on the footpath before harassing daily road users like this?! (I live in that area.) There are a bunch of commercial vehicles more or less permanently parked on that side of the road, often even at the bus stop! The cops should clear those rather than going after the soft targets first.

And on the BTP appreciation side, thanks to your post, I also checked online for any violations for our car and bike and found there was a pending fine from October last year. Not sure if I really committed the violation, but since I was in the area on the mentioned day, will give them the benefit of doubt. Appreciate how they have made it easy to pay fines online, painless, big improvement and would rather pay direct online than put cash in the hands of a cop on the street!

Last edited by am1m : 10th February 2021 at 10:53.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks