Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2021, 23:45   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Polo TSI got badly rear-ended by a Tata Safari (two 360-degree spins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Thanks again, what concerns me is the SC messing up the removal of engine/components and add to my worries. Skeptical about this as I am not there to supervise the work.

Let me give it a thought.
Yes, and be ready for swapped out components from other cars too, it's a norm with accidental cars. Still the end result you get, will be far easier to fix and live with, than fixing a car with problematic shell.
Leoshashi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 09:26   #32

hi, sinharishi,

Glad to hear that everyone is safe. Bumpers on highways are a big matter of concern and you always see them at the last moments as there is no sign or white strips on the most of the bumpers. your incident is a strong reminder why we must go for safer cars as your live is more precious than your car.
happy wheeling.
msonwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 09:53   #33
BHPian

Glad to know both of you made it out safe. This brings again the question of having a safe car.. I am sure my Celerio would have gone for a toss with me in it.

I am really sorry but I loved both the Safari owner's and your composure on handling the incident. In Maharastra even if a scratch happens by mistake everyone is out with swords.. this is a mature way to handle the incident. Kudos on that
PioneerNB is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 10:07   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

@sinharishi,

Don't give consent to a repair in good faith. The other name for insurance claim is negotiation. VW is rarely your friend. If you don't understand your options, you will get a raw deal. The insurance company is liable to pay for "Grade-A" quality repair and not some jugaad repair. My suggestion is don't go for repair at all, but don't disclose that yet. Push for the most expensive repair option no matter how much time it takes and how impractical to actually repair the car. Let the insurance guy realise that it is going to cost a bomb to repair. At this time, offer an exit to the insurance guy for a "cash loss settlement" as a win-win option to everyone. Insurance co will save by not paying full repair cost. You will get good resale price for your car as some private garage will buy it at good price to do jugaad repair.

Don't be in a rush and take time to negotiate the best deal out of it. Jack up the repair estimate, force the insurance guys to agree for a cash loss settlement. If VW takes the side of insurance company and recommends a cheaper repair job, bring the roof down on VW by escalating and complaining how they can compromise owner safety when the chassis is compromised. Force VW to give a high repair estimate. Play hardball.
androdev is online now   (52) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 10:13   #35
BHPian

Glad to know that all of you are safe (Polo + Safari Passengers ).

Kudos to you & the Safari owner for handling the post crash situation in such a calm & sensible manner.

Such big speed breakers (without any indication or clear marking) are killer on the NHs. Even the Rumble strips on our Highways are sometime too high, that shake the entire car.

On such highways where Three digit speeds are possible I always try to drive or find isolated zones where no other vehicles is there in my proximity (neither front nor back). If I notice someone behind me, I always let them over take (to avoid such situations of being rear ended on sudden speed breakers).
Apex1815 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 10:31   #36
BHPian

Quote:
what concerns me is the SC messing up the removal of engine/components and add to my worries.
Removal of engine and other components to be fitted onto another body will be far better IMHO rather than someone cutting out a piece of your monocoque chassis and welding another piece to it.

I remember reading this somewhere in a monocoque vs BOF piece that repairs in a monocoque aren't advisable due to the loss in strength. Your car being new and IDV being high, I would advise you to push for a entire unibody replacement if you wish to keep the car. Imagine you go with this "juggad" repaid/replacement and get into a similar accident again, will the repaired body be able to provide the same results as it did this time?
nathanjdias is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 10:42   #37
k0p
BHPian

2 spins and 30ft distance is crash energy well spent. But please go get checked for whiplash injuries.

Your roof has some damage and the Polo comes with a laser-welded roof. This usually cannot be replicated at a service center, as I had noticed on a friend's car.
k0p is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 11:35   #38
BHPian

Further updates from VW Jaipur:

• Surveyor has given an initial estimation only, further inspection will be done after removing the damaged parts. Especially the floor. So estimate can go up.
  • No body shell for Polo. I called up body shop managers at VW Noida, VW Mody and also spoke to CRM head. Everyone tells me parts are welded together, even at the factory.
  • VW Jaipur will use MIC to weld the parts
  • They have car-o-liner to ensure car has proper alignment
  • Still going to drop an e-mail to VW to confirm what their body shop managers are saying is true
sinharishi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 11:57   #39

Thank god that everyone is safe.

Going by the pics of Polo, @sinharishi must try to go for a 'total loss' as it would not be the same vehicle even after extensive repairs.
neel@makrand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 12:29   #40
BHPian

Great to know both car occupants escaped unharmed. Take care. About repairing the car, any car body is made by welding several components together in factory so as long as the damaged components are ripped apart and new components are welded properly the car should be fine and as good as new car body strength wise. crumpled parts cannot be repaired (only cost saving local body shops try to do it which compromises structural rigidity) they will be replaced by VW workshop providing you with new crumple zones and rigidity as of a new car. so god forbid in similar incident the car will behave in similar way a new car would. Now comes the alignment part, as you said they have car o liner so if worked properly the alignment can be done spot on. for any other issue like leakage/rusting you can check the car before delivery by doing a shower test etc. And moreover VW should provide you warranty of at least 6 months on the work carried over in their authorized workshop which should be valid Pan India.
Only think you may loose is slight resale value whenever you want to sell off the car in future and if the repair/service history is checked by the buyer, but again that is not a big deal if you keep the car for long term as the loss will be negligible in that case.
So don't worry and hesitate about repairs. get the beauty repaired in top shape and enjoy many more miles on it.
aneesh2M is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 12:48   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Explore "cash loss" settlement. It means the insurance will pay their liability of repair costs + you/insurance-co sell the car as-is: the total proceeds will be close to total loss claim. This is a common practice when the car owner is not interested in getting the car repaired due to factors like time, quality and to be stuck with an accident-repaired car. This is my preferred option if the damage is substantial and I am not qualified for a total loss claim.
@androdev this is a gem of a suggestion. Can you please elaborate on this? It'll be really helpful. I was about to suggest that after repairs, sell the car with cars24 or some such dealer and buy a new vehicle. But your suggestion is more appealing.
lsjey is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 13:07   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all for the valuable inputs. I am yet to see the BOM and give a sign-off from my end. Going to have my surveyor re-visit the workshop and reassess the damages once they dismantle the body parts. Also, will explore the the possibility of "cash loss". .
Sir, firstly I’m glad your family and the Safari’s family are safe and sound. I hope everyone’s doing well and are out of this ordeal mentally and physically.

Secondly, this is what we should be thankful for:

1) Your absolute sense of immediately vacating the car and making sure the occupants from both cars were taken to safety first.

2) Both sides showed maturity in dealing with this situation sensibly rather than getting into a verbal or legal spat (last thing anyone would want to deal with during those situations)

3) Polo & Safari just saved everyone from severe situations that could’ve turned everything upside down. Full points to both Tata & VW.

4) Looks like Tata’s dealer’s RSA tie up was efficient and effective in addressing the concern of the customer and was more than helpful enough to get your car to the workshop.

5) Help coming from Tea shop gentleman, our own forum members is something that reassures humanity and brotherhood (team bhp) exists in abundance.

Not so good things:

1) Driving in the wee hours is always risky no matter how safely we drive. This scenario showed we can’t trust any other vehicle on road (not that we could during day time but percentage is quite distinct)

2) VW’s RSA or customer grievance room a joke? I’m furious that you’d to deal with to get hold of someone instead of resting and focusing on coming out of the situation mentally.

Also, as Leoshashi advised, please seek approval for replacement of the shell. I’m sure the car’s structure is certainly compromised. Please do not get convinced for the insurance folks to do otherwise. Please try your best.

Lastly, please drive and stay safe.

Regards

RV
gururajrv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 13:20   #43
BHPian

Point well made regarding the safety of both cars . If anyone of them were Suzuki or Hyundai / Kia , the results would have been horrific non the less in terms of humans and vehicle . These things doesn't happen very often , but when it does the car choices we have made become very apparent . Here with choice of both the cars proved to be life saver for both of them .
quattroa4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 13:21   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post

1) Driving in the wee hours is always risky no matter how safely we drive. This scenario showed we can’t trust any other vehicle on road (not that we could during day time but percentage is quite distinct)

2) VW’s RSA or customer grievance room a joke? I’m furious that you’d to deal with to get hold of someone instead of resting and focusing on coming out of the situation mentally.

Regards

RV
I believe till 2011-2012 I used to leave by 3-4am for any outstation trips to escape traffic. Then I realised most accidents and especially drunk driver and drivers dozing off ones happen between 4-6am. Since then I leave at 6.30-7am for trips. Yes, traffic is more and it adds to driving time but atleast I have peace of mind of not encountering such drivers.

Same way, i used to do a lot of night driving. Even drove whole night from Punjab back to home once. Now I don't such night driving. I set the schedule in a way that I should reach the destination maximum by 8pm. No highway driving between 8pm to 6am in the morning. Small measure but helps in avoiding accidents. Maybe it's the age factor or experience. As we grow older we become more defensive driver and safety takes precedence over everything else.
harry10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 13:28   #45
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Chances of total loss are very bleak! The repair cost has to be more than 6.5 lakhs. If the car is repaired, the alignment is OK, it will be a tough decision to let her go.

I intend to use the car after repairs.
I doubt it'll be more than 6.5 lakhs. A friend of mine had a similar incident but in his case the front left side was badly damaged just like yours. Sent the car to ASC Guwahati, waited 2-3 months, came back a brand new car with zero post accidents creaks or rattles and the bill was around 2.5 lakhs if I am not wrong. Which was paid by insurance ofcourse. Just sit tight. Good luck
Gorkey is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks