Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2021, 19:58   #61
BHPian

Re: My Polo TSI got badly rear-ended by a Tata Safari (two 360-degree spins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

Looking at the description, it seems that the Safari driver engaged cruise control and dozed off, or more likely, suffered a microsleep incident at the time of the crash.
The other possibility is (and highly probable); motion induced blindness. With night time driving one can be particularly susceptible to this as one tends to look only within the narrow confines of field of the headlight beam.
PratikPatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 20:05   #62
BHPian

Sorry to read about the accident Rishi, but glad that you and your family are safe.
behaln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 21:10   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post

A summary of what happened on 16th October:

..........[*]Polo is hit so hard that it takes 2x 360 spins before coming to a halt facing the traffic. Panic all around. Me and dad get down from the front seats, run to get mom out. The rear left door is jammed. I throw the luggage on the road kept next to mom, get her out from the other side.[*]Engine kept running, got the car on the side, dragging the rear left tyre. Had no choice.[*]Immediately rushed to the Safari as I see no one coming out. There waa dust inside (both airbags worked). Got the driver out, asked if he is ok. He was in shock! Safari had 3 kids, 2 ladies and 2 gents. [*]Local tea wala got out his chairs so everyone can be seated.
Hi Sinharishi. I hope everyone involved in the unfortunate accident are now well and safe. Thanks for sharing it.

Only 2 things I learnt and now hope for, from your ordeal.
God forbid, if our car is ever hit, I hope to remember to react and respond, just as you did. God forbid, if I ever end up hitting anyone on the road, I pray the other vehicle driver/ owner responds and behaves as you did.
k_ajay is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 21:20   #64
BHPian

Thank you everyone for your their inputs, here and offline. I got another call from the dealer few minutes back assuring me that everything will be done to my satisfaction and again stressing on the tools, manpower they have to carry out the repairs. Thanks to bhpians on highlighting what necessary equipment will be needed to get the car back in shape.

What I know for sure as of now is - roof will not be replaced since it has minor dent. Left side body, entire length will be replaced. Everything else that is found damaged will be replaced, not repaired.

The new ETA is given about 15 to 20 days from part arrival. It will take a week to 10 days for the parts to arrive. The surveyor is expected tomorrow to do another round of inspection. Post that, the dealer will send me an email to get my approval. So I have to take a call tomorrow.

So far, the dealer experience has been good. I spoke to the dealer from where I purchased the car, they have asked me to get the car to their workshop to inspect the car post repairs (Just to restore my confidence in the car). Nothing from VW yet, i have to apply for reimbursement for RSA.

I have asked VW Jaipur to provide me with a spare car. At this point, all I can do is trust the dealer and keep my fingers crossed.
sinharishi is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 21:27   #65
BHPian

Thanks for the updates on the progress made. Good to see their response so far.

Trust them when they say the car can be restored back to its original condition . They know best.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 21:58   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What I know for sure as of now is - roof will not be replaced since it has minor dent. Left side body, entire length will be replaced. Everything else that is found damaged will be replaced, not repaired.
That is exactly what I pointed out in my earlier post. VW will supply to dealer the BSO,( known as Body Side Outer in automotive parlance). The BSO needs to be laser welded to the roof as the Polo has a laser welded roof.
Please check how the dealer intends to do it. Do they have laser welding facility? And a jig to hold the BSO & bodyshell in place while they are working on it? Are they using a CRS, (Collision Repair System)?
Check for yourself please. Don't rely on hearsay.
arjab is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 22:38   #67
BHPian

Glad to know that everybody involved in this horrific accident is alright. That is how safe, well built cars protect you. This post made me fall in love with the Polo even more.

Take care of yourself and your family.
Siddy_1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 22:57   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratikPatel View Post
The other possibility is (and highly probable); motion induced blindness. With night time driving one can be particularly susceptible to this as one tends to look only within the narrow confines of field of the headlight beam.
MIB does not happen in the centre of the eye's focus, but peripherally - causing one to lose sight of objects outside the path of the headlight beams. Driving tunnel vision is similar.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 00:04   #69
BHPian

Its important to take into account the extra cost of making strong cars when comparing cars. Comparison of cars solely on the basis of features and "Sunroof" is not justified. Well built cars will be expensive and rightly so.
itsbaman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 06:33   #70
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitkel View Post
Great to know you all escaped unharmed! Looking at the pics, I would suggest you to push for a total loss or get it fixed and then sell the car asap. That rear is structure is crumpled heavily (even the C pillar is bent), so no matter how good the workmanship, the structure would still be weaker than original.
If it is not safe for us to use, how can it be safe for another person. I don't understand people selling their car off immediately after it crashes. If the buyer is aware of this and is given a huge discount, then it is understandable. But selling a crashed car to a person who is not aware of the crash is something that I frown upon.
josephilip is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 08:50   #71
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.0L TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephilip View Post
If it is not safe for us to use, how can it be safe for another person. I don't understand people selling their car off immediately after it crashes. If the buyer is aware of this and is given a huge discount, then it is understandable. But selling a crashed car to a person who is not aware of the crash is something that I frown upon.
True. The buyer has to be made aware of the history of the car if you're selling it directly. Not everybody will be honest about it, especially dealers, and the onus is always on the buyer to go through the service records to check for accidents/repairs. Still, there are many who willingly take the risk to drive an accidental car as long they get a discount.
nitkel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 09:50   #72
BHPian

That is one nasty accident. Glad to know everyone came out of it safe.

The incident really shows the true colors of the safety standards of both the vehicles. Specially the Polo, after being rear ended by a full size SUV, it's truly outstanding.

These kinds of incidents make me wary of driving at nights on our Indian highways, it's just too unsafe. We have everything that is dangerous like unmarked speed humps, unmarked crossings, odd animals crossing the road, lights not working (specifically on trucks) and the list goes on.

I used to travel Mumbai-Pune at nights during 2014 to 2016. However after witnessing few incidents on the same road, I have completely stopped. If I am leaving it's after 5AM and in evening I try to plan my journey where I can reach by 8PM.
BHPjunkie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 11:32   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Nothing from VW yet, i have to apply for reimbursement for RSA.
Small update: Received a call from VW RSA. They have initiated the reimbursement process.
sinharishi is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 18:24   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your their inputs, here and offline. I got another call from the dealer few minutes back assuring me that everything will be done to my satisfaction and again stressing on the tools, manpower they have to carry out the repairs. Thanks to bhpians on highlighting what necessary equipment will be needed to get the car back in shape.
Hello, sad to hear about the incident. I live in Jaipur and have been getting my car serviced at the same dealership since last 10 years who helped me keeping my car in pristine condition till date. Their service is really satisfactory. There reputation is such that you will find VWs in good numbers in Jaipur compared to other parts of India due to the reputation of this particular dealership.

About the concerns about structural integrity of your Polo after repairs, I saw a red Polo with similar damage like your's during my last service visit few days back and I asked my SA that how such damaged cars are treated when structural part may also receive damages like the above case. He replied that this will be repaired since some structural parts are replaceable with the help of proper tools.

So I hope your car will be back to ensure safe journeys for you and your family in few days.

Coming to the most talked point of this thread, 'after behaviors'. Well I feel that how to behave in such situation is also part of the training which we automatically get when we go to buy safe cars. When the cars are being sold with the primary USP of safety and durability, the SA teams also talk mostly about topics related to safety and repairs many times during the process of finalizing the deal. Since road safety is a taboo topic for masses in India. many of the customers learn many new aspects related to safety and insurance at the dealerships only. Their brain gradually get adapted to those safety aspects resulting into altering their behavior in such situations.

Even I myself used to carry toddler at front seat in my previous car. But the day I bought VW, I learned many new things related to safety at the showroom and on TeamBHP forum. Carrying my kid on child seat at rear seat was one of them. Now my son is a grown up teenager but its become habit for him to wear seatbelt as soon as he enters in the cars, even on rear seat. We both feel it awkward when we find no seatbelts at rear seats to wear when we travel in other's car since most people hid the buckles below seats, sometimes even seatbelts are hidden behind the rear seats.

Its unfortunate that the car brands occupying 75% market in India don't talk a word about safety during selling process leaving a big chunk of population unaware about many such aspects related to safety and insurance covers, this also results into uncivilized behavior in most accidental cases.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 21st October 2021 at 18:30.
tbppjpr is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 22:47   #75
BHPian

@sinharishi- glad all safe and nothing to do with limb and life .

My 2 cents, usually for any repairs welding is done which involves cut and join process. This really weakens the structure and most important when and if at all you plan to sell the car (IIRC you intend to use it) , ths will severely depreciate the value.

A weld in a part not involvig chasis or load points does not matter but the welds at back or the engine chamber usually are crucial.
Dieseldunk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks