Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2007, 03:06   #136
Senior - BHPian

The common attitude is ..'The traffic is really bad in B'lore.What can we do,if everyone breaks the law,I will too. How will it help if only I try to follow the rules'.

Its this attitude thats causing even the relatively new/young aged drivers to act like morons on the road. I think Radiocity made an attempt once to correct this.They interviewed a few people,and the message conveyed was good,but not strong enough to bring about a change in the views of the commuters.

An acquaintance from Singapore once told me.. ' if a person breaks the rules, catch him, whip him and make sure he doesn't do it again'.. .. I personally like the idea, since 90% of the time, the one who makes the mistake doesn't have the heart/mind to try & coorect his mistakes... Here's whats needed..

WHACK WHACK!!!!.. er..I am sorry sir..It wont happen again!

Old 22nd June 2007, 10:11   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post

WHACK WHACK!!!!.. er..I am sorry sir..It wont happen again!

hehe looks like the best way to put some sense to all the careless drivers/riders. but will it happen???
Old 22nd June 2007, 11:10   #138
Senior - BHPian

People here lack minimum driving discipline and thats the main reason for traffic nuisance...ifcourse its in the whole of india as well. They dont even obey signal stops ..not only risking their lives but jeopardizing others as well. With so many vehicles growing day by day its the individual's own conscience and discipline that can reduce this menace if not eliminate totally. I had seen people rushing in a four way junction with no major signal or a cop present going haywire in all directions...just think ...this same problem in the west is taken care of by giving the right of way who ever comes first @ the signal stop....in that way traffic is more ordered and even delays are drastically reduce albeit the fights people get into @ such stops....cops should implement something like this..making it mandatory....
Old 22nd June 2007, 12:19   #139
Senior - BHPian

Always wondered how a traffic constable feels(standing in the middle of a junction), so many offenders but still cant do much. positive side is he has so many ways to make money
Old 22nd June 2007, 13:39   #140
Senior - BHPian

Everybody talks of lack of infrastructure etc etc.. including these IT honchos.

Suppose these guys were asked by the corporation to give up some land they own that is adjoining a road, so that the road infrastructure can be expanded? Guess what their respone will be ... I think they will give a toothy grin like this -> and say "Swalpa adjust maadi".
Old 22nd June 2007, 13:55   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Suppose these guys were asked by the corporation to give up some land they own that is adjoining a road, so that the road infrastructure can be expanded? Guess what their respone will be ... I think they will give a toothy grin like this -> and say "Swalpa adjust maadi".
some years ago the Bangalore - Hosur road was being 4 laned by L & T. and land had to be acquired all along. Biocon , which has a factory near bommasandra on the main road refused to give land for the road and were forced to relent after a court case. Stretch near biocon could not be completed for years. 2 interesting points..
1.This land was originally allotted by government to biocon
2. Kiran Mazumdar shaw of Biocon is the first to demand better roads and infrastructure in all her press meets.
Old 22nd June 2007, 16:19   #142
Senior - BHPian

The main problem to all our traffic woes is lack of discipline and common sense among drivers,
just about a month ago, i was driving to chikmanglur. Before nelamagala on NH4 a tree got uprooted due to rains. and blocked the entire left lane of the road. So what did the people do? throng to the right lane. Ok i agree with it a bit, but what went wrong was that most truck ad bus drivers covered the entire right lane also blocking the oncoming traffic. A classic case of deadlock, nobody could move in any direction. we were stranded there for more than an hour.
Old 22nd June 2007, 17:21   #143
Senior - BHPian

speedmiester to witness sucha thing, you need go all the way to NH4. Its become an everyday affair in most of our city roads to .
Old 22nd June 2007, 17:28   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

best part is when two-wheelers drive on the footpath and honk at pedestrians!!
Old 22nd June 2007, 18:14   #145
Senior - BHPian

no i was not going to witness such a thing, just was at the wrong place at the wrong time with insane drivers
Old 22nd June 2007, 20:02   #146
Senior - BHPian

Hosur Rd is probably one of the most notorious roads heading out of B'lore. Accidents, traffic jams..you name it and it happens. I remember riding on my Kinetic all the way to Biocon from Residency rd. (had to go for sponsorships for our Dept fest in Joseph's)... A classmate & I rode in the rain, got there and we were turned down. The reason stated was that Biocon is funding a large project in B'lore for the improvement of roads & help put up more traffic lights!! I didn't quite see any result of the 'funding', atleast not until 2002.
Old 23rd June 2007, 06:31   #147
BHPian

How much does a flyover cost?

Now a days, a flyover is being annoucned by Bangalore city corporation every week. and each project costs 10-20-30 crores. Does a flyover really cost so much? or is it all part of the kickback scheme? Any project now a days is in multiple crores. The bigger the project, teh faster it gets approval! And after a flyover is finished after ..n.. years, we feel traffic situation was better earlier!

Any civil engineers here?
Old 25th June 2007, 10:26   #148
Team-BHP Support

They created the Ring Road so as to provide people with a way to avoid hitting the city rush, and so traffic moves faster. Where they made mistakes were when they provided intersections in between, and now, you have major jams owing to these. Bellandur junction is one of the major bottlenecks along the ORR now. The only way out here now is to construct a flyover over this junction.
Old 25th June 2007, 11:51   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankura12 View Post
Now a days, a flyover is being annoucned by Bangalore city corporation every week. and each project costs 10-20-30 crores. Does a flyover really cost so much? or is it all part of the kickback scheme? Any project now a days is in multiple crores. The bigger the project, teh faster it gets approval! And after a flyover is finished after ..n.. years, we feel traffic situation was better earlier!

Any civil engineers here?
Some of them seem badly planned and executed - particularly Richmond Circle. Others actually seem to have improved things (Airport Road). IMO the real problem isnt the flyover but the feeder roads which now have to deal with a huge increase in traffic. For example, Manipal Hospital junction. Not having traffic signals at Airport road / 100 ft. road junction means an uninterrupted flow of traffic towards this point and subsequent jams.
Old 25th June 2007, 12:05   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
Some of them seem badly planned and executed - particularly Richmond Circle.
Nothing can beat the Wakad-Hinjewadi flyover in Pune in terms of bad design !! This flyover is built over the NH4 Pune bypass, instead of building on it. So people travelling ON THE HIGHWAY have to wait for 2 mins at a traffic signal instead of the other way around!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks