Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2007, 00:39   #196
Senior - BHPian

Things apart, does it make sense in limiting the speed limit? More than speed,its the erratic driving habits that create havoc. I'd rather have strict rules set , so that people on bikes/cars avoid driving in a rash manner hence causing all the problems on the road. Even if the speed limit is set at 50kmph, there has to be good open roads to be able to even get to 20kmph. With the density of traffic so high, it really doesn't make a difference with respect to the dpeed limit.

Common sense...that's the missing ingredient..
Old 10th July 2007, 21:46   #197
Senior - BHPian

Its only a public awareness programme (with the same intensity of polio vaccination drive in india since many years) that can make a difference on indian roads. Most important highlights of this awareness could be:
1. Speed limit awareness and the idea of 'right of way' which nobody cares these days, its mostly due to ignorance not a purposeful violation.
2. Use of head lights in the night: Majority do not know whats the difference between high beam and low beam ( no exaggeration, I myself noticed this ignorance among lot of my educated friends' circle ), even if they know, they dont really bother to look if the high/low is used while driving.
3. Lack of any seriousness in keeping rules and regulations. Everything has a loophole, so evething is taken for granted. Middle east is a good example in this regard. Repeated violations will cancel the license, repeated careless driving and accidents will cancel the vehicle. Its strictly monitored through speed cameras, patrolling officers, annual official examination of the vehicles etc. which are a dream in India.

As a democratic country, an Indian citizen can fight for any illegal, immoral activities he/she has done, through bribes, appealing to the higher authorities failing at a lower place, threatening, throwing money power or muscle power or using any method a brain can imagine of. Thats the curse of this place. So until we see this basic mentality of the public changes, there is not going to be any improvement in any fields of life, forget roads or traffic !! Cops have limitations, higher Road authorities have limitations. So unless we see each individual getting aware of the basic things, nobody can make a change here. If I practice the correct things on road and other fields, I would make my life more comfortable, but not necessary I save myself from other careless characters on the road. So, its not a one-man job. Ignorance is the enemy, once thats solved then comes the transparent authorities to keep it going smooth.
Old 6th August 2007, 16:08   #198
Senior - BHPian

There are improvement plans and strategy designed by the government and most of these things are already getting implemented though the ever increasing traffic (approximately 500 vehicles per month come on road as new registrations in bangalore city) do not make any difference in the situations. Hope members here have seen the details in this link www.bangaloretrafficpolice.gov.in - Press Release
Old 6th August 2007, 17:04   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
There are improvement plans and strategy designed by the government and most of these things are already getting implemented though the ever increasing traffic (approximately 500 vehicles per month come on road as new registrations in bangalore city) do not make any difference in the situations. Hope members here have seen the details in this link www.bangaloretrafficpolice.gov.in - Press Release
Very true, the way vehicles are increasing. guess we need rocket science to solve this issue
Old 1st November 2009, 18:55   #200
BHPian

My plan to solve Bangalore's traffic woes, can it be done?

Construct a network of freeways/expressways within the city, roughly bisecting it into 4 quadrants. One can run north-south, the other east-west. The best thing would be the south-north one to start from Mysore road and continue all the way up to Hebbal and link it up with NH7. East-West i dunno but it could start from Hosur and traverse to the western side of the city. Connector freeways could also be built to serve major areas of the city, i.e koramangala, MG road, etc, etc. Then charge tolls for all the vehicles that want to use it and maybe even develop a "fast pass" system or something like that. If Bangkok can do it, there is nothing stopping Bangalore from doing it. If my small town back in the US (pop 300,000 or so) can have 3 expressways within it, Bangalore can and should. This is something that should have been planned for as soon as the boom hit. Having an expressway system within the city will take major pressure off the arterial roads. Thru traffic wont have to be on the surface and they can continue on to their destinations. The ring roads can then be linked to these expressways with connector or feeder routes. In addition, some of the expressways can be parallel to the Metro Rail system, with some stations having a "park and ride system". Ideally, they cud have planned it where the Metro Rail runs right in between the elevated expressways, if this had been done earlier. If there is room, the expressways/freeways can run at grade level..if not, then just elevate the whole thing, like in LA and other major cities around the world. Ideally that Hosur elevated highway should connect even further to the city; its a great starting point to expand on the system.

Last edited by CaliAtenza : 1st November 2009 at 18:57.
Old 1st November 2009, 19:07   #201
Senior - BHPian

Good idea except that you have got your directions mixed up a bit.

What we need is N-S expressway from International Airport to Hosur and E-W expressway from Whitefield to Kengeri. We also need three ring-roads, all expressways as well which allows people to get into N-S/E-W expressways and then we are all set.

It can all be done. What we need is the political will to make this happen. Some of it is happening in the form of 'signal free outer ring road' and NICE road.
Old 1st November 2009, 19:15   #202
BHPian

But where do you have space for constructing roads? If we have to build roads, tracks, we have to cut trees and demolish buildings. But everyone along with media shout that oh they cut the trees. Now how is it possible that one wants wide roads AND no tree to be cut?

This thing always makes me angry when I read it on paper
Old 1st November 2009, 20:00   #203
BHPian

As the traffic congestions worsen, any city would need some of these kind of setups

1. A network of roads in the shape of chemist shop's sign. That is a ring road, a north-soth and East-west cross section of roads
2. Triple story flyovers to avoid any kind of signals
3. By-lanes or service lanes to rescue any congestion in these main roads
4. Metro rails
5. Very less roundabouts (circles) these have been points of maximum confusions
6. Load based traffic signalling. Which changes signals based on the traffic load on a road instead of current constant time based.
7. Multi level parking lots (numerous)
Old 1st November 2009, 20:39   #204
Senior - BHPian

good idea but with the constant government changes and massive corruption, a five year plan ends up taking 15 years or more to finish.
secondly infrastructure is not a solution to common sense which is lacked by 95% of people driving on Bangalore roads including Auto guys,Buses,Most of Two wheeler riders,Taxi drivers Trucks etc.

one efficient solution is massive education. Make it mandatory for people to re qualify for their driving license with strict protocols regarding selection of drivers capable of driving.
To put it simply if people stuck to their own lane ,drive with common sense 40% of the traffic problems in Bangalore will be over.

But unfortunately this is not possible. We have to rely on Infrastructure to face our traffic woes.
Old 1st November 2009, 21:20   #205
BANNED

Excellent idea! Except that the government and its functionaries are busy building up their money bank and vote bank and have no time for the common man or his woes. Once they are happy with what they have (if that could ever be so) then they "might" look into such "trivial" issues. If they complete all the roads in one such go how do you expect those poor politicians to fill up their coffers !!

Note - One might think am being too cynical, but any banglorean who pays the highest road tax in india and yet has to travel for 90mins to cover a distance of 9kms will understand what i am saying. Hint - We are supposed to have a flyover that connects Silkboard to E.City.

Last edited by srikanths1 : 1st November 2009 at 21:25.
Old 1st November 2009, 21:37   #206
Senior - BHPian

It's not really feasible in my opinion. There is no space to have expressways, or even elevated expressways through the city. Besides the story just doesn't end with expressways - you need an intricate system of ramps etc. and if your going to add toll plaza's aswell, all of bengaluru's beauty will be lost.

Instead of curing the symptoms, we should cure the disease - the increasing number of traffic.

The namma metro will hopefully do just that, let's hope it arrives while we are all still alive. The government should focus on getting done on time and with quality like Delhi's and should increase it's network, hopefully convincing commuters to use it instead.

And yes ample parking (hopefully multilevel) is crucial for the metro to be a success - people can park'n'go at the stations. Feeder buses will also help.

Last edited by anekho : 1st November 2009 at 21:44.
Old 1st November 2009, 22:00   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanths1 View Post
Excellent idea! Except that the government and its functionaries are busy building up their money bank and vote bank and have no time for the common man or his woes. Once they are happy with what they have (if that could ever be so) then they "might" look into such "trivial" issues. If they complete all the roads in one such go how do you expect those poor politicians to fill up their coffers !!

Note - One might think am being too cynical, but any banglorean who pays the highest road tax in india and yet has to travel for 90mins to cover a distance of 9kms will understand what i am saying. Hint - We are supposed to have a flyover that connects Silkboard to E.City.
San Francisco has a similar problem...not many freeways within it, but thats mainly owing due to its geography and something called the "Freeway Revolts" back in the 70s. To make up for that, SF has an excellent mass transit system. Coming back to Bangalore, if you guys want something to happen..stand up and vote for people who will get the job done. Sometimes i believe India doesnt deserve its democracy and a revolution is needed :(. Anyways..as for cutting down of trees..you can always replant them or preserve them somehow. Elevated expressways shouldnt have a problem with trees so much. I think the N-S and E-W expressways can have a big interchange in the middle of town somewhere..and then feeder routes can be branched off of that.
Old 3rd November 2009, 01:10   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
It's not really feasible in my opinion. There is no space to have expressways, or even elevated expressways through the city. Besides the story just doesn't end with expressways - you need an intricate system of ramps etc. and if your going to add toll plaza's aswell, all of bengaluru's beauty will be lost.

Instead of curing the symptoms, we should cure the disease - the increasing number of traffic.

The namma metro will hopefully do just that, let's hope it arrives while we are all still alive. The government should focus on getting done on time and with quality like Delhi's and should increase it's network, hopefully convincing commuters to use it instead.

And yes ample parking (hopefully multilevel) is crucial for the metro to be a success - people can park'n'go at the stations. Feeder buses will also help.
The problem with the Metro is that it wont go everywhere and knowing Bangaloreans, they arent apt to give up their vehicles completely just yet. There has to be way to preserve the beauty of the city while still constructing expressways, ramps, toll plazas, etc. Doesnt Mumbai have something like this?? or even Delhi?? Park and Ride is an excellent idea that will hopefully be implemented well.
Old 3rd November 2009, 03:04   #209
Senior - BHPian

If the Metro system comes up and has a high number of users, then the congestion on the roads would reduce to some extent. Increase the area of service,and build multilevel parking garages near certain stations, and we'd get to see a higher number of commuters using the Metro service to get to work & back. In turn, the other commuters on the roads would find things to be a lot better,with a reduction in 20-30% of the usual traffic.
Things can be done,but with the wonderful dynamics of the Govt, we'r not going to get too far. Even if a handful of multilevel car parks were to spring up,we'd see a much better flow in traffic with the full use of roads to move on,and not park around.
Old 3rd November 2009, 03:24   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
The problem with the Metro is that it wont go everywhere and knowing Bangaloreans, they arent apt to give up their vehicles completely just yet. There has to be way to preserve the beauty of the city while still constructing expressways, ramps, toll plazas, etc. Doesnt Mumbai have something like this?? or even Delhi?? Park and Ride is an excellent idea that will hopefully be implemented well.
True, nobody would want to give up their car.

However, I am sure very plenty would love to commute to work in hassle-free way. If the metro can substantially reduce the avg commuting time it'll be a runaway success!

Driving can be a more leisurely, enjoyable experience!

Also, regarding going everywhere, of course the metro won't. If the metro can be coordinated (tickets, timing etc.) with the sexy red volvos it will add to the 'range'. This will also be a convenient feeder system for the metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
If the Metro system comes up and has a high number of users, then the congestion on the roads would reduce to some extent. Increase the area of service,and build multilevel parking garages near certain stations, and we'd get to see a higher number of commuters using the Metro service to get to work & back. In turn, the other commuters on the roads would find things to be a lot better,with a reduction in 20-30% of the usual traffic.
Things can be done,but with the wonderful dynamics of the Govt, we'r not going to get too far. Even if a handful of multilevel car parks were to spring up,we'd see a much better flow in traffic with the full use of roads to move on,and not park around.
I've always wondered why multilevel parking lots are still so scarce in India. I mean it's the perfect solution to so many of our traffic related problems!

I hope the metro will be as good as I hope it will be

Last edited by anekho : 3rd November 2009 at 03:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks