Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2007, 12:18   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
Some of them seem badly planned and executed - particularly Richmond Circle. Others actually seem to have improved things (Airport Road). IMO the real problem isnt the flyover but the feeder roads which now have to deal with a huge increase in traffic. For example, Manipal Hospital junction. Not having traffic signals at Airport road / 100 ft. road junction means an uninterrupted flow of traffic towards this point and subsequent jams.
I agree a flyover only shifts the jam from junction to the point where the flyover joins the road. In case of dairy circle the junction now is "jam" free but have u seen the jam in front of Nimhans and Christ college, its pathetic.
I do echo the same feelings here, strict controls and please please educate the cops to fine the violators heavily. The best fine is to ask them wait till entire traffic clears which will make them wonder the next time they want to break traffic rule.
I can just keep on writing on this but a pity am not the traffic cop.
Why do you always find a bunch of cops near a traffic lights and only one or none near a junction where they are required? Why are BMTC busses allergic to bus stops, Why is the slowest vehicle (tractor, tempos, trucks,,) always in the fast lane, again this list is endless
My 4 year old daughter many times ask me why is that guy on the wrong side of the road.
On numerous occasions I have switched off ignition, got off my car when the person behind honks mindlessly and asked him to go forward. You should see the embarassement when people stare at that guy
And to top it all most violators are the very well eductaed, world travelled IT community, Its a shame actually to say I too am an IT guy.
If anyone knows folks in the traffic dept please ask them to read this thread and I wont mind to be a part of a discussion if we can get into a meetig with the "TRAFFIC COPS"
Save bangalore, streamline traffic!
-MP
Old 25th June 2007, 12:24   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Nothing can beat the Wakad-Hinjewadi flyover in Pune in terms of bad design !! This flyover is built over the NH4 Pune bypass, instead of building on it. So people travelling ON THE HIGHWAY have to wait for 2 mins at a traffic signal instead of the other way around!!
Ok hows this: At Richmond Circle people drive on the right side of the road, with oncoming traffic to the left. Worse, they start out on the correct side of the road but cross midway!
Old 25th June 2007, 12:31   #153
Team-BHP Support

Yup the design had a serious flaw. After they constructed the flyover they had tremendous problems and a jam on the flyover.

So they started the one way for residency road and richmond road. This resulted is the flyover having an intersection on top. Theres actually a manned traffic signal on top. the car's cross over from the right ramp to the left and left to right ramp on top like a X.

I believe the flyover closes at night as it is dangerous.
Old 25th June 2007, 12:32   #154
Team-BHP Support

Isn't there an "American Road" somewhere in Central BLR near the RLWay station where you have to drive on the right side(its a road with median) and then somewhere in the middle you change. This road was there even 10 years ago.
Old 25th June 2007, 12:35   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Eh!

While i agree with your point 1, your 2nd point is a bit... umm.. uncalled for, and also please elaborate on how you are qualified enough to make that statement? Have you driven in small towns outside Karnataka, specially up north, to observe that people from north are in general more impatient? If yes, then for how long and how many?

If you dont want to offend anyone then maybe you should not make such generalised region based statements.

amitoj,

Firstly, i admit traffic sense all over the country is bad. however, the impatience that i mentioned is truly the first thing one notices when driving in the north.

i base this statement on the observation of road usage in towns like kanpur, roorkee and bhilwada. anyone contesting this point has to drive for a while in places like mysore, hassan or madikere. in kanpur, there is not a single (this number is no representation of fact - it is very nearly the fact itself) car without dents and scratches. what with the ubiquitous cycle rikshaws swarming about to add to the chaos, one wonders if it's worth buying a brand new car there.

i'm no foreigner and am used to the sort of traffic we have in india, but i was just apalled at the driving sense there. in roorkee, i frequently see aging uncles driving crazy like they're stoned teenagers with raging hormones. horns are blown like they're factory sirens. everyone seems to have realised that life is short, and they've got miles to go! precisely why it's no wonder life is short!!! same thing in delhi.

in utter contrast, you'd be surprised to see motorists waiting patiently for the green signal although the intersection is temporarily free - as though they were sheep! it's surprising, really.

please don't take this is a poke to a certain people, but i felt this distinction is clear enough to pass off without much objection. drive through southern towns, and if you already have, i have nothing else to say.

as for bangalore, i will sign off with only one statement. around 15 years ago, bangalore as what bangalore was known to be, ceased to be. what u see today is not what bangalore was. perhaps the lesser said about it, the better.

which brings me to the explanation of why IT corridors here are the worst...

i hope people are liberal to take an observation as an observation and not an offending statement. and thanks for your tempered reaction. i appreciate it.

peace!
Old 25th June 2007, 12:38   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
Ok hows this: At Richmond Circle people drive on the right side of the road, with oncoming traffic to the left. Worse, they start out on the correct side of the road but cross midway!
Sorry.. I give up.. waving the white flag ->
Old 25th June 2007, 12:43   #157
BHPian

Rules Rules Rules....

Why are bangy's so hungry for rules rules rules...?

There is something called understanding too...

rules will make us stop breathing one day...

Rules are not always good...

W12 - Don't be so rude about people who drink. Don't you drink?

With the amount of pubbers wanting to go home after 10:30 in bangalore, you can make any bus company profitable. They are anyways parked in bus stations, run them at particular time like starting from brigade at 11, so everyone coems down to teh stop and waits for it after pubs close. No one wanst to drive. People only drive as they don't want to give extra money or argue with Auto's or deal with no one wanting to go their way.

Come up with a way, where it helps someone skip the trouble than putting someone into trouble and stop crime. Than making rules where peopel who are cautious also run into trouble. Cops trouble anyone when they get a chance.

I care a damn as i'm not in that scenario, doesn't help.

grow up...

I would never went to middle east as it seemed very hard to breathe with so much rules and regulations. I'd rather be responsible than being monitored, I dream the same for everyone.

I'd be pityful to see someone in an accident after being drunk than looking for ways to put him into more trouble. find ways to things to not happen and not to put someone in harder situation either.

Samy
Old 26th June 2007, 07:24   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by urdudesamy View Post
Why are bangy's so hungry for rules rules rules...?

There is something called understanding too...

rules will make us stop breathing one day...

Rules are not always good...

W12 - Don't be so rude about people who drink. Don't you drink?
When we say rules I am sure most of us refer to people doing their job, cops penalising offenders, citizens not violating. Completely agree no point in having a dictatorship on the roads. I do follow basic rules like never overtake from left, dont drive on the wrong side and I am sure all BHPians do as well, but for the majority of folks on road and all those 3 wheelers, cabs, trucks, tractors the only way is the authority telling them this and probably even making a few scapegoats so that the rest of the community learns and fears
Why do people violate? its just because they know they can get away,
The townplanning folks sometimes makes you wonder what is the criterea to get into these depts (I was surprised they ask for masters degree in urban and town planning to plan our fgreeeaat flyovers and layouts!)
Old 26th June 2007, 10:18   #159
BHPian

Quote:

1. Rules are not always good...

2. W12 - Don't be so rude about people who drink. Don't you drink?

3. With the amount of pubbers wanting to go home after 10:30 in bangalore, you can make any bus company profitable.

4.No one wanst to drive. People only drive as they don't want to give extra money or argue with Auto's or deal with no one wanting to go their way.

5. grow up...

6. I'd rather be responsible than being monitored, I dream the same for everyone.I'd be pityful to see someone in an accident after being drunk than looking for ways to put him into more trouble. find ways to things to not happen and not to put someone in harder situation either.

Samy

1. As a law abiding citizen, do you have a choice ? Being selective about rules you will like and follow will lead to chaos. You may not like laws on drunken driving, some one else may not like one ways and no parking boards and I dont like the law which cuts 10% of all my income as TDS. Can I say i wont pay my income tax as I dont like the laws?

2. If asking people not to drive under influence , so that they dont put their life and that of other road users at risk , looks rude to you , then may be I am rude. I am not against drinking but am certainly against drunken driving.

3. BMTC volvos are losing money everyday , in peak hour journeys in the day. Am not sure How they will be profitable in "pub circuit" late night.

4. Thats why I suggested city taxis / call cabs or a designated non drinker , as is the norm in many countries.

5. Did not realise that following laws of land means one has not grown up and breaking rules which we dont like is a sign of maturity.

6. Hire an auto / cab after a party or have non drinker drop you home. All your problems are solved then. Those who are responsible do not put other road users at risk, because of their stupidity IMO.
Old 26th June 2007, 10:43   #160
BHPian

In India while driving a motor vehicle,if a person, has in his/her blood alcohol exceeding 30mg per 100 ml of blood detected in a test by a breath analyser, That person shall be punishable for the first offence with imprisonment for a term which may extend to six months, or with fine which may extend to two thousand rupees, or with both; and for a second or subsequent offence, if committed within three years of the commission of the previous similar offence, with imprisonment for a term which may extend to two years, or with fine which may extend to three thousand rupees, or with both.
Old 26th June 2007, 10:47   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post

as for bangalore, i will sign off with only one statement. around 15 years ago, bangalore as what bangalore was known to be, ceased to be. what u see today is not what bangalore was. perhaps the lesser said about it, the better.

peace!
I fully agree with what Skandyhere has said. Offlate Bangalore has become unbearable to live in. All because of Unplanned/unorganised growth of the city. City has grown multifolds in past 10 years which noone had expected.

Crime has increased, indicipline has increased, tolerence has reduced. The great "Adjust Maadi" attitude is totally lost.

Bangalore has truly detoriated into a Metro .
Old 26th June 2007, 10:51   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With the amount of pubbers wanting to go home after 10:30 in bangalore, you can make any bus company profitable. They are anyways parked in bus stations, run them at particular time like starting from brigade at 11
Suppose you can't hold ur stuff and throw up inside the bus, are u gonna come back next morning to clean up the mess??
Old 26th June 2007, 11:01   #163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
3. BMTC volvos are losing money everyday , in peak hour journeys in the day. Am not sure How they will be profitable in "pub circuit" late night.
w_12, are u sure about this? Last time i heard, they were doing bad initially, just when they were launched. Now, with the advertising income, and a fairly large number of people who have started to use the bus, i read that its doing quite decently these days.

I think it was some article in the TOI, but i am not sure of the same.
Awaiting clarifications.
Old 26th June 2007, 11:06   #164
BHPian

The Volvos I've seen have been full or nearly full at all times - especially the whitefield one that passes by Airport road. There are two buses one behind the other and both are usually almost full!
Old 26th June 2007, 11:09   #165
Team-BHP Support

Ajit, those arent the only ones which run full house. Even the 500 series which runs along the ORR to Banashankari run with full capacity usually.
If for some reason i do not wish to use my vehicles on a particular day, i take a Volvo too. Earlier, i wouldnt even think in terms of public transport.

I seriously thank the BMTC for thinking up something like this, which is a first in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks