Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2007, 11:13   #76
Senior - BHPian

People lack decipline, from a person who rides a cycle to the one who drives a merc. This morning itself i saw a dude in merc talking on his mobile and driving slowly blocking the traffic, other day saw a acent guy almost banging a getz cause he was fiddling with his phone, cyclist riding to the right of the road, people crossing from everywhere.

i think people have lost it. more number of vehicles and more problem would add, thanks o the easy loan schems, automobile companies trying to push their sales up and to top it all sad pubic transport system. will ensure that more and more people will go for vehicles.

And will Bangalore roads be able to accomodate so many vehicles? i think in coming years travelling would be a much bigger pain. scarry!
Old 11th June 2007, 11:32   #77
BHPian

b'lore being a city of one ways.there are lot of cyclists & two wheelers who get off the bike & push it towards the wrong side(against the flow of one way).this adds to the jams & i have seen cops standing & watching these funny activities!!

traffic/one way rules dont apply to these m*r*ns???
Old 11th June 2007, 14:24   #78
rkg
Senior - BHPian

why can't karnataka govt force central govt and railways to operate these lines.
1. bangalore city railway station - cant- east- chennasandra- byyappanahalli( Kindly correct the sequence)- CVraman nagar- kaggadasapura- Outer ring road- Electronic city on the existing salem line ( they can easily lay another line with minimum cost( compared to metro). no land acquistion problems. can be done very quickly
2. city RS- Cant- east- chennasandra/byyappanahalli- krpuram- whitefiled(ITPL) on the same route as chennai line
3. city RS- malleswarm- Yeswantpur- neelamangala route
4. City RS - cant - hebbal- yelahanka route
there is one more form KR puram to yeswantpur via banaswadi ( this can be from whitefield to YPR via KRP- banaswadi
from electronic city to YPR via chennasandra- banaswadi
these routes require minimum resources and less time, less effect on present traffic and when in operation will reduce at least some traffic on the main roads like airport -marthahalli road, hosur road to ET city , bellary road.
there is a service line from city station to BEML via bayyappanhalli/chennasandra. the distance from the point where this line ends to present airport is less than 3 KM. even this can be made possible

but it seems our govt leaders are more interested in expensive projects like metro which cause lot of dislocation at huge cost while catering to minimum population

Last edited by rkg : 11th June 2007 at 14:26.
Old 11th June 2007, 14:59   #79
Senior - BHPian

@rkg: Great! point there. i feel its far better then metro connectivity wise. since it can be done fast, i feel would help a lot in easing traffic.

but can we expect our leaders to be innovative? i think thats impossible.

Since the people in power dont face what a common man faces everyday, they wont realise.
Old 11th June 2007, 16:53   #80
Senior - BHPian

If people here are responsible enough many of the traffic woes would minimise if not gone. Basically it shows our attitude and unfortunately one of my colleague from the US happen to commute with me one day and he made a remark which literally threw me offgaurd saying people are so eager to move forward not caring about what the other person is upto and though i defended @ that moment, when i silently thought about it...it was true...cos here in particular every 1 wants 2 thrust his nose forward.
Old 11th June 2007, 17:02   #81
BHPian

The only way to reduce traffic chaos in Bangalore will be to stop people from taking right turns all over the place. The Airport road traffic has improved from what it was a year ago due to the fact that the number of right turns have been reduced considerably from what it was.

The other thing to do is make sure two opposite lanes move at the same time.

If you have one side of the traffic taking right turn make sure the opposite side is free to take left turn. This will ensure that the cars who want to take the turn will have to take the turn if they are on that particular lane and no way any vehicle (car, bikes, bus, auto, cycles, etc etc) should be allowed to change lanes (to go straight or take a turn) if he/she is in the wrong lane at the signal. Cops should fine them. I am sure we will see a drastic change in travel times if these two are done and things will definitely improve out here in namma bengaluru.
Old 11th June 2007, 17:09   #82
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
but it seems our govt leaders are more interested in expensive projects like metro
Well expensive projects means a number of permissions etc needed. Means more bribes, more money for govt officers and politicians.
Old 11th June 2007, 21:14   #83
BHPian

I saw something today that was probably the ultimate!! I was on the way to ITPL at around 10:45 am (I either start very early or pretty late to avoid the rush hour traffic). Just after the Marathahalli bridge, there is a bus bay, plus at least a 2-lane road. But there were THREE buses parked side by side!!! Two BMTC and one private. The private bus was on the right most lane and there weren't even any passengers boarding/unboarding. He was just waiting there for 'potential' passengers. And as expected, the road got jammed because of these jerks and the cops standing nearby did nothing to sort it out! Seriously, how can one expect our roads not to be jammed if incidents like this happed frequently?
Old 11th June 2007, 22:11   #84
BHPian

We blame our BMTC bus drivers being rash n monsters n what not...
How many of you use our BMTC service (not volvo)? Have you guys seen the kind of work they have to do? I've seen drivers having to deal with maddening traffic, choking passengers, issuing tickets(conductor less buses), dealing with change n money and top it all having to reach the station in order to make it for the next trip. All this with other fools driving in the same space. The pressure is way too much guys.. I've seen it and you can see them visibly angry. I'm not supporting the way these drivers drive, but am only pointing out some of the reason they decide to just drive the way they please. If educated people can't drive smaller vehicles properly, imagine the surroundings in which a BMTC driver has to drive?

Guys, Bangalore is not cut out for the kind of traffic it is experiencing. There are people pouring in from every part of the country.. every engineer wants to come to bangalore to get a job in a s/w company, next immediate thing is to buy a bike and very soon a car. How can one expect to provide and maintain infrastructure? On top of all this is our attitude to break rules.
You want a solution, think beyond the problem. If there needs to be a solution they have to revamp the licensing system (including people who have licenses), tighten the rules, come down heavily on offenders, have accountability and finally keep politics out of it!
Old 12th June 2007, 09:00   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
We blame our BMTC bus drivers being rash n monsters n what not...
How many of you use our BMTC service (not volvo)? Have you guys seen the kind of work they have to do? I've seen drivers having to deal with maddening traffic, !
and
no airconditioning
no soundproofing,
no power steering
no synchromesh gearbox
tiny rear view mirrors
Old 12th June 2007, 11:38   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
tiny rear view mirrors
I think a few years back they were fitted with very expensive huge double mirrors on all of the buses. I think they were Rs1200 a piece which had 2 mirrors one wide angle and one normal.

Most of the buses have broken them now and you just see the remains of the plastic.
Old 12th June 2007, 11:49   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I think a few years back they were fitted with very expensive huge double mirrors on all of the buses. I think they were Rs1200 a piece which had 2 mirrors one wide angle and one normal.

Most of the buses have broken them now and you just see the remains of the plastic.
Why do they need mirrors anyway? Thats what footboard travellers and conductors are for!
Old 12th June 2007, 12:04   #88
Senior - BHPian

Ummm... on a lighter note, BMTC buses do have some advantage too. I find it a lot easier and less stressful to just tag behind a BMTC bus when in a traffic jam.
Old 12th June 2007, 12:13   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post

Guys, Bangalore is not cut out for the kind of traffic it is experiencing. There are people pouring in from every part of the country.. every engineer wants to come to bangalore to get a job in a s/w company, next immediate thing is to buy a bike and very soon a car. How can one expect to provide and maintain infrastructure? On top of all this is our attitude to break rules.
You want a solution, think beyond the problem. If there needs to be a solution they have to revamp the licensing system (including people who have licenses), tighten the rules, come down heavily on offenders, have accountability and finally keep politics out of it!
Excellent point madhav! its increase in "Population" the root cause of traffic chaos in Bangalore. 15years back CMH road and 100ft road used to be almost empty around 10ish, can we think of it now?

Bangalore cant take anymore growth.
Old 12th June 2007, 13:54   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bingo thats what we need for the hour.

Did anyone read todays TOI? There was an article where a youth from Delhi was caught driving under the influence.

The outcome was a 3k fine to be paid and work with the Delhi cops at traffic signals from 10am-10pm for 7 days.

Guess the same needs to be bght in here and instead of working with the traffic cops the retards(offenders) need to spend 10 days with the City Corporation cleaning up garbage.

Most Viewed