Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2007, 14:26   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Uh oh, I think some of our cars attain expressway speeds that their radars arent capable of recording .

On a serious note, 80 kph on the expressway is ridiculous and potentially dangerous (try doing 80 in the fast lane). A more realistic limit would be 120.
Old 14th August 2007, 15:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Hats off to the cops in putting their life in danger to enforce the law of the land.
I would say its stupid of the cops to stand in front of a vehicle doing 120Km/h and its dangerous to stop from those speeds at a short notice for the vehicle.

They are endangering the life of all, themselves, Car passengers and the vehicles following them.

They should send the challan by post with a print out of the speed gun.
Old 14th August 2007, 16:10   #18
BHPian

Just like all of us, cops too have targets to meet. Thats why they are out in larger numbers especially on week-ends just prior to the month-end.

Apart from speeding, cops also accept toll (read: bribes) and allow 2-wheelers at certain stretches of the express-way. 2-wheelers are not allowed on the express-way.

Jokes apart, its high time the speed-limit is revised to a more realistic level of 120 Kmph. That way people will follow it. But, given the number of accidents with gruesome consequences, some degree of monitoring is welcome. Perhaps some speed cameras should be installed.
Old 14th August 2007, 16:17   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2-wheelers are not allowed on the express-way.
They are allowed to join from just after the ghats begin till the Khandala exit. This is the area where the old highway has been taken over by the expressway and there is no other road to take. That is why you see bikes on that particular section.

Ofcourse, I have seen a few bikes elsewhere as well.

Another odd loophole is the Tata ACE. Although 3 wheelers are not allowed, the ACE, being a 4-wheeler, can happily drive along the expressway even though it is really not fast enough to be allowed on it.
Old 14th August 2007, 16:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitsingh08 View Post

I was doing 110 and the signs on the expressway read 80. I always thought that was a recommended-speed sign and not a legal limit.
.are you serious................?
Old 14th August 2007, 16:51   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't get it.

Why don't you all stick to 80Kmph speed limit? Whats wrong with that speed? Just because your car can goes fast doesn't mean that you have to break the speed limit. Or you don't have to drive at top speed of your car everywhere. Even if your car can go fast, you have to stick to the speed limit.

My friend's Ferrari in US can do 200mph. But he always maintains 70mph, which is the speed limit. Why does our fellow countrypersons always have a problem to follow the rule?

Hats off to the cops in putting their life in danger to enforce the law of the land.
because it unrealistic. in the us 70mph is more than enough. over here on the expressway which is comparable to us highways has a speed limit of 50mph? its ridiculous.
Old 14th August 2007, 16:55   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I don't get it.

Why don't you all stick to 80Kmph speed limit? Whats wrong with that speed? Just because your car can goes fast doesn't mean that you have to break the speed limit. Or you don't have to drive at top speed of your car everywhere. Even if your car can go fast, you have to stick to the speed limit.

My friend's Ferrari in US can do 200mph. But he always maintains 70mph, which is the speed limit. Why does our fellow countrypersons always have a problem to follow the rule?

do you really mean all that you say???!!! get a good car with good abilities and good safety and try driving on this beautiful road at 80, you will know what we mean.

all of us over here are not speed crazy devils. but our point is that 80 kmph on that road is plain ridiculous.

120 should be a good and safe limit in fact.
Old 14th August 2007, 17:10   #23
BHPian

I was stopped some time back when i just entered E-Way from Pune side. Apparently i was doing 14kmph and had to pay 200 bucks fine. Havent been stopped since then.
Old 14th August 2007, 17:20   #24
BHPian

I got fined for speeding on the expressway a couple of months ago too. Was doing approximately 140 when I first saw the bunch of cops on the side of the road, they recorded my speed as 108 finally after my failed attempt at getting down to within speed limits.

What was interesting was the number of drivers that simply did not bother stopping even after being flagged down by the cops. I asked the cops about this, their reply was that those people would be stopped at the next toll booth 'as their registration numbers have been radioed ahead'. Of course, I did not believe him.

A couple of weeks later, I got a chance to test his theory, and sure enough , he was fibbing.
Old 14th August 2007, 17:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
I got fined for speeding on the expressway a couple of months ago too. Was doing approximately 140 when I first saw the bunch of cops on the side of the road, they recorded my speed as 108 finally after my failed attempt at getting down to within speed limits.

What was interesting was the number of drivers that simply did not bother stopping even after being flagged down by the cops. I asked the cops about this, their reply was that those people would be stopped at the next toll booth 'as their registration numbers have been radioed ahead'. Of course, I did not believe him.

A couple of weeks later, I got a chance to test his theory, and sure enough , he was fibbing.
Are there any specific points where these cops linger around to extort their haftas? Maybe we can be extra-cautious when approaching these speed-check points.

Simultaneously, I wish the cops also tok action against trucks and buses who (a) do not have tail lights (most don't), (b) remove their rear bumpers, and (c) overtake in the extreme right lane?

Did they issue a receipt, or did it just go into their pockets?
Old 14th August 2007, 17:41   #26
Team-BHP Support

Does anyone notice the Police Sumo stationed just after we take the sharp left under the old overpass, just before the Khandala tunnel (en route from Mumbai to Pune). Those cops seem to be after Sumo's and those sort of vehicles. What do they catch them for?? Too many passengers?
Old 14th August 2007, 17:52   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
I was stopped some time back when i just entered E-Way from Pune side. Apparently i was doing 14kmph and had to pay 200 bucks fine. Havent been stopped since then.
Are you serious? That's too fast man. Please drive a little slower next time,
Old 14th August 2007, 18:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't get it.

Why don't you all stick to 80Kmph speed limit? Whats wrong with that speed?
Whats wrong with that speed??? Why do they collect Rs78 from me as toll tax and god knows how much in form of income/road tax, so that they can build a 6 lane expressway?

In the end, if I am forced to drive @ 80kmph, I would be more than happy to do it on a single carriageway, i.e the old Pune-Mumbai highway.. Whats the point of wasting MY money on building an expressway with an absurd speed limit !!

And I wish the cops were equally brave in catching hardened criminals/thugs/murderers instead of risking their life by jumping around in the middle of an express way.. Probably, THEN I would take my hat off to them (Not that I have any hats in the first place).
Old 14th August 2007, 18:36   #29
BHPian

a radar detector is your best friend, even a cheap under $100 one will work fine especially in relatively open, straight expressways like this one!!
Old 14th August 2007, 18:38   #30
BHPian

What if we don't stop?? I doubt they have fast vehicles that could barely go above 120 kmph and that too it'd take them a really long time to reach such a speed in a Diesel Mahindra or Toyota Qualis. Has anyone done this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks