Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2009, 15:59   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
A nepalese guard in uniform was running like hell and a few people were chasing him and yelling for him to stop.
I tried picturing what you said and its really hilarious.

I never pass my keys to the valet. I would rather walk a few yards, meters or even a kilometer than having to come back and witness something like this.
Old 24th September 2009, 15:59   #62
BHPian

Its amazing that a valet parking guy got the car up that pavement!! He may have been showing off to someone...

But in Bangalore, Valet parking is used because there is no parking within the restaurant. These guys go and park someplace on the road - it may even be a no parking zone - they are neither legally liable nor do we owners even get to know the small scratches here and there! So the best way is to not give them the car!
Old 24th September 2009, 16:18   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
that really looks bad

maybe in future when using a valet parking service car owners should demand to see the driving license of the valet before entrusting an expensive machine to them.

I for one dont like anyone getting near the driving seat of my vehicle - call me possessive or a control freak or whatever you like but boss it is my hard earned car and I would certainly prefer not to have to experience things similar to what is exemplified in this photograph you have posted.
If you ever read the fine print on the valet parking coupons that the restaurants give you they say "cars parked at owners risk". Before handing the car to a valet you should confirm if your insurance company will cover you. If they find out that the valet was not authorised to drive they may reject your claim.

Shankar I think you own a Scorpio. The Scorp is one of the most stolen vehicles anyway, you're wise to be extra careful.
Old 24th September 2009, 16:20   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I for one dont like anyone getting near the driving seat of my vehicle
Same here. I have driven out of a lot of places just because they insisted on Valet parking my car instead of letting me park on my own. Recently Brand Factory on Marathahalli Road.
Old 24th September 2009, 16:25   #65
BANNED

I never give my car to a valet even at a star hotel. I do not mind walking a few steps/yards/hundred meters to find a parking and park my car at a safe place.
And as all of us know the driving license procedure, I wouldn't trust a DL displayed by a valet.
In Delhi, at many car parkings though, it is normal practice to leave your car keys with the parking attendants as they tend to park cars in several layers and hence need to keep the keys of all the cars that are parked. I m sure they too end up scratching and bending a few fenders here and there pretty often given the hairline clearance they maintain between cars.
Old 24th September 2009, 16:28   #66
Senior - BHPian

Was in an auto car? The 'valet' might have put it in R instead of D and stomped on the pedal. Must have gone helter skelter backwards and climbed on to the divider due to the sheer force of the impact.
Old 24th September 2009, 16:32   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I tried picturing what you said and its really hilarious.
He was running like a bat out of hell and seemd scared to death. He was pleading with his collegues to let him go. I gotta admit I couldnt resist a chuckle when I saw the look on his face as we intercepted him.
Old 24th September 2009, 16:42   #68
Senior - BHPian

I never had to face valet parking before, because all I had ever owned were bikes and a second hand Dolphin, which the valets will consider below their dignity to touch! Recently I went by my new Alto to a nearby restaurant along with my son, as rest of the family had gone out of station. The guy at the entrance wanted to have the keys for valet parking - as there was a line of cars beyond the line where I was supposed to park - in case any owner of the cars came out for his car before we finished dining. I could not believe my ears, this was no fancy place, just a Hot Chips restaurant, Chennai guys will know what I am talking about. I quietly took a U turn and went back home. We left the car there, went back to the hotel by bike and had our dinner.

Last edited by Gansan : 24th September 2009 at 16:43.
Old 24th September 2009, 17:07   #69
Senior - BHPian

hey this opens up a new line of thought - I will re-check the insurance document specifically - though I have a comprehensive policy.
again, so far (touch wood) in Bangalore, the number of stolen Scorpios is not as high as in Delhi, Bombay and possibly other places.

Sometimes I wonder whether it is worth investing in the services of a permanent night security guard for peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
If you ever read the fine print on the valet parking coupons that the restaurants give you they say "cars parked at owners risk". Before handing the car to a valet you should confirm if your insurance company will cover you. If they find out that the valet was not authorised to drive they may reject your claim.

Shankar I think you own a Scorpio. The Scorp is one of the most stolen vehicles anyway, you're wise to be extra careful.
Old 24th September 2009, 17:15   #70
Senior - BHPian

It's an FWD car, so it's quite possible for it to go backwards at a high speed and climb over something as tall as this.
Old 24th September 2009, 17:29   #71
Senior - BHPian

It's better to self park the car and walk 10 minutes to the restaurant. Or take a taxi or auto if parking is difficult to find.
Old 24th September 2009, 17:35   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
It's better to self park the car and walk 10 minutes to the restaurant. Or take a taxi or auto if parking is difficult to find.
Last time I was in South Mumbai, that's what I had to do. Parked my car outside my aunt's building and took a cab to a nearby bistro.
Old 24th September 2009, 17:35   #73
BHPian

Horrible picture there. The chase scene you described reminded me of a scene from Apna sapna money money
Old 24th September 2009, 17:57   #74
Senior - BHPian

Leave alone these restaurants valets, the biggest problem are the untrained valets who are hired in farmhouse weddings in Delhi here. I never give them the keys to my car, find a safe place myself where no drunkard will bang my car and then park it there and prefer walking 100-200 metres to the wedding entry. They handle car like maniacs, turning them around like NFS tokyo drift.

My friend has already had a bad experience with his BMW 5er. They parked his car on some iron rods and when the valet went back he noticed that 2 runflats had gone flat as the tyre had been ripped apart. There was no option for him but to tow the car away and get a new tyre for his car as there is no stepney in a bmw.

Avoid the valets, it looks nice but Indian valets have a long way to go still.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2009, 17:57   #75
BHPian

Off topic, but I remember a very funny episode on "MTV Bakra". Cyrus Barocha, disguised as a valet, would take the keys of very high end cars and park it. Later when the owners would get back for their cars, he would bring an old rusty clunker, having the same number plate as the high end car they had requested to be parked ... The conversations and the look on the face of the owners was hilarious

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks