Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2018, 18:39   #181
BHPian

re: How do you deal with transgenders begging at traffic signals?

I am literally fed up of the eunuchs. This happened a month back near the Pragati Maidan traffic signal. He/she came to my car and started beating the crap out of the window. Then he/she said that she will rip apart the side mirror if I don't pay up. I would have busted the face but my family was with me. Finally had to give a 50 rupee note and was done away with.
Old 26th January 2018, 19:10   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupratikDebnath View Post
Look at them, smile and say, I cannot give you money everyday. I gave you yesterday, right? Say that very politely. If you find the same bunch, do smile at them everyday. Casual smile. Do not over do it.
+ 100

Been working for me since last 20 years - on local as well as long distance trains, while driving as well as common public places. I have seen numerous friends getting freaked out when they have to encounter them, as well as others giving up money on frustration; always found it amusing.

Never found their threats (of lifting up their clothes) or other attempts a problem; the smile and nod always has worked
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 09:51   #183
Senior - BHPian

Recently, I noticed that all the toll-booths and major turns to big cities are new homes for these eunuchs on NH 48 ( Ahmedabad to Surat). These toll booths and traffic junctions are the ideal places for this groups of eunuchs to operate with help of traffic cops. I never give attention to this eunuchs. I always try to behave like a stubborn person & keep driving. It always worked in case off my encounter with these Eunuchs on Roads.
SJM1214 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 08:01   #184
BHPian

Re: How do you deal with transgenders begging at traffic signals?

I visit Chennai three to four times in a year and every time it's a two or three week stint. In the last few years, I'm seeing the number of trans people who begs in signals have got reduced. Also, I'm seeing that there is a change in the way they approach you, In a better sense.
Over years, my perspective has also changes after meeting/seeing many transgender people who have proved their worth with a supportive environment. I'm not getting irritated when I see them as I used to do before.
I give a bit more money than I give to usual beggars. In the recent years, I've seen very pleasant smile from them and hearty wishes which I felt genuine. I think it's time to give them space and be accommodative.
Not sure on the bad experiences other members of the forum had. But I feel it's all in the perspective we put them. Just my experience.
kablu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 18:30   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Recently, I noticed that all the toll-booths and major turns to big cities are new homes for these eunuchs on NH 48 ( Ahmedabad to Surat). These toll booths and traffic junctions are the ideal places for this groups of eunuchs to operate with help of traffic cops. I never give attention to this eunuchs. I always try to behave like a stubborn person & keep driving. It always worked in case off my encounter with these Eunuchs on Roads.

I know it's not my place to correct anyone, but since this is a public forum, I wanted to politely offer some thoughts on the previous statement about transgender people at toll booths.

The term "eunuch" can be offensive, and "transgender" is a more respectful way to describe someone whose gender identity differs from their sex assigned at birth. Also, it's best to avoid generalizations about entire groups of people.
Old 16th April 2024, 19:17   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redswift View Post
The term "eunuch" can be offensive, and "transgender" is a more respectful way to describe someone whose gender identity differs from their sex assigned at birth. Also, it's best to avoid generalizations about entire groups of people.
While I have not noticed them in KL, If you drive a scooter \ motorcycle or even ride an Autorickshaw in some cities of KA for instance, you are in for a treat. Perhaps your thoughts may change, it wont be fun getting harassed & embarrassed in front of your family and still part with your 10Rs. I have seen a lot worse in trains.

The victims in this case are commuters who are out to work to make a living - this is not the case of transgender rights or equality etc, this is purely the tyranny of minority due to their perceived immunity from being prosecuted under law.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 20:16   #187
BHPian

They will knock at the windows pass lewd comments..etc but I G N O R E them, that is the only practical & logical solution and it works.

In my city these transgenders even reach your doorstep in case of child birth or weddings and start hounding you for money & if one doesn't oblige become abusive or threaten to damage your car.

Some people from certain communities consider them/their blessings auspicious and indulge them hence they have gotten brazen.

STAND YOUR GROUND, I still have not budged and never will & it works!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks