Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2011, 10:17   #46
Max
BHPian

Re: List of Traffic offences and applicable fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Last month I saw an Auto driver punch a pandu at a signal near Ruby hall in Pune. Pandu was screaming at auto driver weilding his lathi, Auto driver got pissed, got down and punched him. Then gets on and drives away.
police is very afraid of these auto rickshaw drivers due to their unions. These unions are politically supported and are very strong. One of my friend told me 25% auto rickshaws are being rented out by cops only hence auto rickshaw drivers don't feel they have to follow any rules. IMO, there should be some kind of campaign to teach auto rickshaw drivers to follow rules then only they might magically understand they do have to follow traffic rules.

btw, I stay in thane city and I think cops here are better, nobody has ever fined me without mistake.
Old 28th March 2011, 19:59   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
police is very afraid of these auto rickshaw drivers due to their unions. These unions are politically supported and are very strong. One of my friend told me 25% auto rickshaws are being rented out by cops only hence auto rickshaw drivers don't feel they have to follow any rules.
btw, I stay in thane city and I think cops here are better, nobody has ever fined me without mistake.
I live in Calcutta and do not employ a driver. But sometimes I need one, when my parents go to their physicians for their medical check-ups while I remain busy at my office. The fellow who usually gives me the service is an auto-rickshaw driver himself but has a valid license for four wheelers as well. He says that most of the auto-rickshaws plying here in certain routes give a good amount to the police, in return of getting some special privileges. Beside, many auto rickshaws are owned by the policemen themselves, in the name of their wives and relatives. So it is not surprising that these auto rickshaw drivers pays much respect to the cops. And I have also that the policemen usually ignore the private motor vehicles for any minor offense. They pay more attention to the taxis and other commercial vehicles.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Old 4th May 2011, 15:10   #48
BHPian

Well I was driving with my family on NH1 toward amritsar. Just when we crossed Ambala, 2 cops (not traffic cops) were checking cars at random. When they checked mine everything (DL,RC, PUC etc) was in order and I thought I'll proceed now happily, but then cop asked if I have first-aid kit with me, which I didn't. Now he could see a big smile on his face. It was the 1st time that first-aid kit was asked about in my 11yrs of driving. He told that he'll have to challan me. Finally I settled it in Rs.100 as I had to cover a long 250km of journey on same day.

Now my query is, if not keeping first-aid kit can result in a challan or not. If yes, what should be contents of proper first-aid kit (from legal perspective).
Old 4th May 2011, 23:44   #49
BHPian

The scene is pretty good in Mangalore. Not many bad cops around here and they don't stop unnecessarily and fine you. But its a pain and always troublesome when i'm in Bangalore or metros like Pune. In my experience. Mumbai was still okay.

How is it in Delhi? Do the cops pull you over and fine you unnecessarily?
Old 5th May 2011, 09:58   #50
BHPian

Witnessed this couple of days ago - a traffic cop stopped a bike for carrying 3 people. The bikers seemed to college students who got into an arguement mode with the cop. By then a good amount of onlookers (yours truly included) had gathered to see what's going on.

After a few minutes the bikers proferred a 100 rs note to let them go. Call it the Anna Hazare effect or fear of the onlookers or good old honesty, the cop refused and challaned them. We need more of these type of cops.
Old 6th June 2011, 15:40   #51
BHPian

Here is list for Chennai (Court fine)
Chennai Traffic Police :: Court Fine

for Spot Fine:

Chennai Traffic Police :: Spot Fine System

Now i know i have always overbribed
Old 18th November 2011, 10:29   #52
Team-BHP Support

An update: Article

I really hope traffic fines are increased 20 times. The current ones are peanuts and not helpful in deterring people from committing an offence. For example, a traffic light violation is just Rs. 100/-.
Old 18th November 2011, 10:48   #53
BHPian

Lately I have been seeing a lot of ads placed on newspapers by traffic cops on matters like window tints and improper name plates etc. I would advise fellow Delhi BHPians to take care and check once again if they have proper documents with them in the car and that they are not expired or something. Cops might be in a mood to have mass challan fest in a few days time.

International trade fair is also starting from 19th Nov'11 in Delhi which might see a lot of public transport users taking out their private cars after a long time with many things, like documents, unchecked. Just my thought.

Last edited by DevilsCry : 18th November 2011 at 10:54.
Old 18th November 2011, 11:13   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Lately I have been seeing a lot of ads placed on newspapers by traffic cops on matters like window tints and improper name plates etc. I would advise fellow Delhi BHPians to take care and check once again if they have proper documents with them in the car and that they are not expired or something. Cops might be in a mood to have mass challan fest in a few days time.

International trade fair is also starting from 19th Nov'11 in Delhi which might see a lot of public transport users taking out their private cars after a long time with many things, like documents, unchecked. Just my thought.
I hope you meant the "Number Plates".

By the way, I liked the hike in Traffic Violation fines. A good move to improve traffic sense in Delhi region.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 18th November 2011, 11:22   #55
Senior - BHPian

Traffic fines set to increase 10 fold

As per today's news in TOI, traffic violation fines are set to be increased 10 fold. Here is the link to the article.
10-fold rise in fines for traffic violations - The Times of India

Much needed and welcome step. I'm not sure how many offences would reduce, but the pinch in the pocket would defnitely be higher, which may prompt people to follow rules.. I hope this does not lead to more under the table dealings resulting in an unauthorized windfall for the police.
Old 18th November 2011, 11:25   #56
BHPian

Re: Traffic fines set to increase 10 fold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
As per today's news in TOI, traffic violation fines are set to be increased 10 fold. Here is the link to the article.
10-fold rise in fines for traffic violations - The Times of India

Much needed and welcome step. I'm not sure how many offences would reduce, but the pinch in the pocket would defnitely be higher, which may prompt people to follow rules.. I hope this does not lead to more under the table dealings resulting in an unauthorized windfall for the police.

Already been discussed here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2581638

Cheers!
Irish
Old 18th November 2011, 11:28   #57
Senior - BHPian

Re: Traffic fines set to increase 10 fold

Oh. I was searching for a new thread on this but could'nt find it. Mods please close this thread or move to appropriate location if not ok.
Old 18th November 2011, 11:28   #58
Senior - BHPian

Love the Kerala Police!

Now its 5000 or 10,000Rs for drunken driving And if you are lucky 6 months free govt food !
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 11:37   #59
Senior - BHPian

Today TOI has an article about making jail term mandatory, hitherto only fines were levied.
Hope the Central govt makes the punishment uniform across the country.
Old 18th November 2011, 11:39   #60
BHPian

i support this increment in fine. Although, i would like a practical speed limit and not 40-50 kmph on good roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks