Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2008, 19:02   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Joe you have me in splits....
Be My Guest GD, our roads have it in them to give us regular entertainment !!

I agree with Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
. Earlier i use to get angry, now am only amused by all this behaviour on road.
There is more in a day!
Old 19th September 2008, 19:17   #32
Senior - BHPian

Anyone ever noticed the tendency of vehicles to honk if you pass them without honking or acknowledging their presence in any other way? I mean, you're doing 120kmph, there's this chap doing probably 40 kmph on the inside lane, you go about overtaking him without "requesting" permission and the rest of the road is free for you to do so without bothering anyone.

Yet you get honked at when you overtake!
Old 19th September 2008, 19:27   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Another interesting thing I have observed:

No matter how plesant the atmospere is, the time your colleuges get into your car they crib about turning on the AC as if they are siberia residents and are used to the below zero tempratures.
Absolutely! One of the reasons I cringe giving my team mates a ride coz they really get on my nerves. Examples:-
  • As mentioned above, nice breezy weather outside and you just get started with the ride when, "Hey switch on the A/C na. Petrol bacha raha hai kya? <giggle giggle>"
  • Bumper-2-bumper traffic and cars are honking all around and you are trying to concentrate when "Increase the volume yaar. I love the beats to this song." Co-passenger nicely turns the volume knob to max.
  • You were playing some English numbers which you like while coming to office and now when your team mates are taking the ride, that CD is still playing since you didn't get time to change it. So, "Hey, what kind of music is this. Sounds like noise. Put on some Hindi stuff na".
  • So you oblige and change to a Hindi CD while driving. For me, it normally turns out to be an old Hindi films songs CD (I like old songs more than current ones. Call me outdated, orthodox whatever. I can't help it). So they now go, "Abe, what is all this slow old numbers you are playing. Kuch naya laga na. <giggle giggle>". BTW, I do keep some fast, new Hindi songs CDs in my car. It's just that they might be at the bottom of the pile.
  • You are following traffic rules and waiting for the signal to turn green while some vehicles around (mostly Indicabs) are jumping the red. And they go, "What da? Following all rules and all, eh? See, everyone's going through nicely".
  • I always park in reverse i.e. I facing outside so that I can just drive out of the slot without reversing. So it usually takes me 10-15 secs more than what it would if I simply drove into the slot. But when team mates are inside, they'll go "Abe, what is it with parking in reverse that you always do that? <giggle giggle>"
  • I tell the drive side passenger to put on the seat belts. He/She'll go, "OK OK..hehehe..putting it yaar"
And these are not some specific examples. They occur almost every time and that's why I HATE driving them to a treat/outing.

Last edited by devnull : 19th September 2008 at 19:30.
Old 19th September 2008, 20:14   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Anyone ever noticed the tendency of vehicles to honk if you pass them without honking or acknowledging their presence in any other way? I mean, you're doing 120kmph, there's this chap doing probably 40 kmph on the inside lane, you go about overtaking him without "requesting" permission and the rest of the road is free for you to do so without bothering anyone.

Yet you get honked at when you overtake!
Yes ofcourse, jus happened this morning. I think it the FEAR caused by the element of surprise. He's saying "what the heck was that? Superman?" honk honk.
Old 19th September 2008, 20:58   #35
BHPian

The chennai trait is come at high speed, overtake and brake before you to make you slam the brakes. This happened to me and believe it or not, the person who did this was carrying an old lady in his bike (BIKE.....YES)
Old 19th September 2008, 22:44   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
I guess the basic manners, courtesy are never taught to anyone - either at schools or at home. ....
It is not completely correct.
Infact we were taught about these basic manners in the school but what happens is when the child actually comes on to the road, those are not seen causing the brain to get confused and since the child himself can follow them and hence the child learns to un-learn and learn the pattern being followed by the aam juntha.

Also most of the time, parents taech these goody goody things but they themselves dont follow the basic guidelines and hence they cant teach the guidelines in a true sense to the children.

I hope, i could express what I want to say.
Old 19th September 2008, 23:10   #37
Senior - BHPian

@devenhull, couldn't agree with you better. I mean i would love to keep songs in my car that i like and play it ay my reasonable volume. and i really hate it when the co- passengers keep their stuff on the front dash.

then they go ahead and open up my sunglass, and wears them (thats ok) but they put it back on the damn dash board and not the box!!!!
Old 19th September 2008, 23:34   #38
Senior - BHPian

Honking has become such a nuisance. It is evident in traffic signals wherein if your car fails to start with one crank of engine and if it does not move front, when the signal has turned green, then you had it. All the people behind you including 2 wheelers will start honking like mad as if the world will come to an end and they cannot reach to their destinations at all. All it matters is they will reach a couple of minutes late than planned. People have really lost patience and everybody wants to go first.

OT: Hurrah, its my 2000th post.

Last edited by snaronikar : 19th September 2008 at 23:37.
Old 20th September 2008, 03:00   #39
Ali
BHPian

Absolutely! One of the reasons I cringe giving my team mates a ride coz they really get on my nerves. Examples:-
  • As mentioned above, nice breezy weather outside and you just get started with the ride when, "Hey switch on the A/C na. Petrol bacha raha hai kya? <giggle giggle>"
This is common,Feel like .If you are really that addicted to A\C why dont you buy a CAR yourself?
  • You were playing some English numbers which you like while coming to office and now when your team mates are taking the ride, that CD is still playing since you didn't get time to change it. So, "Hey, what kind of music is this. Sounds like noise. Put on some Hindi stuff na".
Samjho na Yaar,Becharo ko english gaane samjh nai ate.
  • You are following traffic rules and waiting for the signal to turn green while some vehicles around (mostly Indicabs) are jumping the red. And they go, "What da? Following all rules and all, eh? See, everyone's going through nicely".
Goes the same for me,Well Music depends on wheather and mood.Cant listen to Boom Boom all the time.

One morning on my way back to office,had an NHC in the front and It suddenly stops in the middle of the road.I swerve right and happen to see a middle aged couple trying to look for something on the road to the left.That guy did not have a little bit of sense,that someone could ram into his car.Wish i had a Monster Truck.

Educated people are also in the league No-traffic sense types.You can see people mostly bikers,trying to go wrong side or between a small gap in the pavement.Just to save some petrol? What about safety? If not yours,think about others.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Your post has been edited since it contained one too many smilies. Team-BHP is viewed by people from all walks of life, and they prefer an uncluttered post protocol. We would much appreciate you restricting the smilie usage to 2 per post.

Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 27th October 2008 at 23:09.
Old 20th September 2008, 06:23   #40
BHPian

There is no question of educated people or people with or without mannersim; what people lack is "Patience". People on the road do not want to wait, for that matter anyone be it the local buses, cabs, call center chaps or professionals.

Everyone get out late from their homes and then want to make it as early as possible to their destination hence they keep honking and overtaking but the best part is most of these chaps are found waiting in a Jam ahead or at the signal.

People dont leave way even at intersections when there are vehicles moving and want to wriggle their way out so that they can catch the end of the Jam which is visible ahead.

As per me if people have the patience and apply it a little bit it will make a lot of difference on our city roads.

Most of the above observations are while driving in Bangalore.
Old 20th September 2008, 08:58   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
Most of the above observations are while driving in Bangalore.
And it would be good to know that Bangalore caught the infection from Delhi!
Old 20th September 2008, 09:35   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Even after repeated (polite) notices from our housing society, one young lady refused to install a switch on her car's reversing horn (the vilest of all: Attention This car is backing up!), or better still, disconnect the damn thing. The fact that she works at the new Bangalore airport also means that she kept weekday/night odd hours plus late hours every weekend.

Anyway, after a week beyond the deadline, someone cut the wire to the reversing horn and it obviously stopped working. As I expected, she created a scene at the next Sunday association meeting saying vandalism etc. Noted at least 4 sheepish/smug looks on elderly residents' faces. Wonder WHO did it!

I was certainly planning to :-)
Old 20th September 2008, 09:49   #43
BHPian

My main irk is people cutting across while taking a turn.

It never a case of leaving way or doing a proper turn so the oncoming on opposite side can either slow down in line or brake and wait.One always ends up having to defend his own ride being scratched by the F1 driver who takes the racing line all the time!

second irk is " right of way" . whether it be people walking on the street or vehicles joining the main road or vehicles leaving the main road.No one seems to understand the convenience bestowed when common sense prevails over impatience.

What point does one make if he overtakes only to cut across and take a turning in front of a cyclist?

What point does a driver make in not allowing(or honking at) a passerby who's crossing the road (specially in the hot sun while your sitting in a AC car).Ive noticed that no matter how fast I drive(during peak 9-6 hours)the maximum probable gain in time is 6-10mins over a distance of 20km even.I'm sure this ain't just about my driving style and applies to everyone.Time saved is probably even low on shorter distances.

If only we stopped thinking , " oh ill just drive faster today and make up for watching the Rakhi Sawanth fiasco repeat in the morning news"........ and watch it for second time just cause you missed out on what the newsreader was saying the first time,lol.All eyes and no ears , but i say all choices and irrational selections.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 20th September 2008 at 09:51.
Old 20th September 2008, 09:57   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
Guys, this really happened to me, My friend a funny guy, and I are traveling on this not so busy road, we are in his dad Old Amby that quite often has a cough and a cold!! now suddenly the car stops and no sooner did he try to start it, the honking started, few cars reversed and moved on but this one guy right behind us just kept going on and on. My friend got out and calmly went up to him and said "Boss can you please try and start my car, and i'll continue the honking for you from here!!"
I was such splits coz i saw his face and would every time i thought of it.

Haha! My uncle also has that sort of attitude. One time he was with me in the car when I was driving. We were at a a busy red light with a timer with 150 seconds to go. This call center cab comes up behind us, stops and immediately starts honking frantically. After a while my uncle went up to the guy and shouted: "*&^%&*agar tere horn bajaane se hamari gaadi chalti toh hum iss mein petrol kyun daalte???"

Translated as: "*&^% if our car ran by you blowing your horn, then why would we fill it with petrol??"
Old 20th September 2008, 11:22   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
Haha! My uncle also has that sort of attitude. One time he was with me in the car when I was driving. We were at a a busy red light with a timer with 150 seconds to go. This call center cab comes up behind us, stops and immediately starts honking frantically. After a while my uncle went up to the guy and shouted: "*&^%&*agar tere horn bajaane se hamari gaadi chalti toh hum iss mein petrol kyun daalte???"

Translated as: "*&^% if our car ran by you blowing your horn, then why would we fill it with petrol??"
My cousin's Uncle is also a Funny Nut once i was driving him to the airport and these guys on a bike overtook us.. and then the pillion jus spits his pan ka juice/residue and it spayed onto the windscreen, not much though thanks to the wind and gravity. Well the Next part is what makes me laugh. as we were over taking them, before I saw anything 'uncle' jus rolled down his window and opened out his bottle of water that simply Rained all over

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks