Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2008, 04:31   #1
BHPian

Must we call it Manners or the lack of it!

I often wondered when I see such behavior patterns:
1. On a road doing good speed, soon there is a car half way up trying to overtake and the peaceful driver of your car suddenly starts to accelerate full. Is there some 'nobody goes before me!' gene?

2. Let say you approach a single lane bridge or a narrow road and right just before you get to the other side, this bike or auto guy comes zipping in and both brake, and the best part - he stares with a macho shaking of the head and looks away and then slowly pulls back for you to go!!. Is this the 'I actually got here before you?

3. somebody gets into you car, sophisticated and all, then SLAMS the door shut (your window almost broke) then gives you a sheepish look and opens the door and tries again. Still a Slam but only lesser!. Is it the memories and hard upbringing, keeping in mind the super doors the older cars had?

4. you are driving at good speed when this roaring bus overtakes you (after flooring his pedal for 5 mins behind you) And almost as soon as he passes your front bumper he begins to slow down to stop. Is it the hurray I bet an OHC medal he's after?

5. Its a nasty HOT summer afternoon and from the parking lot you hear the 'reverse aid' tune "jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way.." obviously somebody is backing his/her car. Is this anticipation for a cold christmas evening?

I've just mentioned a couple of things that we come across, please add to this and make your comments!

Joe
Old 19th September 2008, 08:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Another interesting thing I have observed:

No matter how plesant the atmospere is, the time your colleuges get into your car they crib about turning on the AC as if they are siberia residents and are used to the below zero tempratures.
Old 19th September 2008, 09:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
5. Its a nasty HOT summer afternoon and from the parking lot you hear the 'reverse aid' tune "jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way.." obviously somebody is backing his/her car. Is this anticipation for a cold christmas evening?
hahahaha you got me in splits with that. LOL !!
Old 19th September 2008, 09:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. somebody gets into you car, sophisticated and all, then SLAMS the door shut (your window almost broke) then gives you a sheepish look and opens the door and tries again. Still a Slam but only lesser!. Is it the memories and hard upbringing, keeping in mind the super doors the older cars had?
Umm, ya it to make SURE it closed properly

Quote:
4. you are driving at good speed when this roaring bus overtakes you (after flooring his pedal for 5 mins behind you) And almost as soon as he passes your front bumper he begins to slow down to stop. Is it the hurray I bet an OHC medal he's after?
I guess this is one of the criteria to get a job in BMTC or other Public passenger transport. Almost all vehicles behave in same pattern irrespective of the state, place etc I guess.
Old 19th September 2008, 09:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LOL! I been guilty of it too. My Palio is pretty solid and needs reasonable force to shut it. I am used to it, i sometimes (when i am preoccupied) do it on my wife's Santro, and she jolts like she's gonna fall down from the drivers seat!

Now i know the difference, and is delicate in handling the santro . So give them some leeway - mebbe its just that they are used to a sturdier car. Ofcourse if they do it most of the time - its a sad case of bad manners.

Quote:
You missed the morons who use the reverse music in the apartment parking lot at night There you are, trying to catch some sleep and someones starts awful reverse music.
Old 19th September 2008, 09:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
You missed the morons who use the reverse music in the apartment parking lot at night There you are, trying to catch some sleep and someones starts awful reverse music.
I am not sure if all the reverse horns comes with Silence mode.

I use to have Prerana in my old Zen and everytime I take it from Parking or hospitals etc, I usually unlock the car in silence mode.
Old 19th September 2008, 09:49   #7
BHPian

Some persons, if offered a lift, will start teaching the driver ( mostly me) how to drive. You should have over taken, give way for the car behind you etc. Its very annoying.
Old 19th September 2008, 10:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Must we call it Manners or the lack of it!

We can call it 'Learning Manners From The Unmannerly'!
Old 19th September 2008, 10:05   #9
BHPian

jingle bells

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
hahahaha you got me in splits with that. LOL !!
I have this aunty who lives on my building and she's just learning to drive, and when she's backing up, Oh brother, i think it'll become christmas. she take approx 10mins to finish and but then I can see it snowing in my apartment.
Old 19th September 2008, 10:11   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post

I had the Titanic Reverse horn in my Scorpio till 4 years ago, and the day i put in the reverse horn, and i came in at night, and had to reverse and the reverse horn started, out of sheer manners, i immediately put back to neutral, and let teh car slide as much it could and then take it forward. Immediately next day, i got a swtich installed that could control that reverse horn! since then, no worriez at all! no need to announce the whole building that the devil has arrived!
Actually for this, i should be called a 'Sane' Devil!

All other points quoted here, are absolut true!
Old 19th September 2008, 10:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I am not sure if all the reverse horns comes with Silence mode.

I use to have Prerana in my old Zen and everytime I take it from Parking or hospitals etc, I usually unlock the car in silence mode.
Mjothi, 'silence mode' is a sensible thing to do. But you know what, i wonder why it's not a click,click like in the case of of the indicators, I mean user jus need to know that they are on reverse gear right?
Old 19th September 2008, 10:16   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
. Immediately next day, i got a swtich installed that could control that reverse horn! since then, no worriez at all! no need to announce the whole building that the devil has arrived!
Actually for this, i should be called a 'Sane' Devil!

All other points quoted here, are absolut true!
'Sane' Devil , where can i get that i'll give it as a christmas present to an aunty on my building, infact if it's a DIY kit, i'll personally see that I fix it for her.
Old 19th September 2008, 10:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

Two more things that irk me

- the moment red light turns to green the taxi behind you starts honking. Or honking from behind when there is obviously no way you can move forward. As if he is asking you to fly out.
- wide enough turn to accomodate two trucks side by side. The car on the other lane cuts into your lane just round the corner.

I think these are just bad manners and lack of proper training. The bad manners are apparent even when you are walking in a crowded place. People literally shove you aside to move forward. The same habit is carried to the street while driving.
Old 19th September 2008, 10:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Even my friends say I'm barbaric to their car doors, But then again, I've gotten used to closing my Indica's door that way
Old 19th September 2008, 10:34   #15
BHPian

honking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Two more things that irk me

- the moment red light turns to green the taxi behind you starts honking. Or honking from behind when there is obviously no way you can move forward. As if he is asking you to fly out.
Guys, this really happened to me, My friend a funny guy, and I are traveling on this not so busy road, we are in his dad Old Amby that quite often has a cough and a cold!! now suddenly the car stops and no sooner did he try to start it, the honking started, few cars reversed and moved on but this one guy right behind us just kept going on and on. My friend got out and calmly went up to him and said "Boss can you please try and start my car, and i'll continue the honking for you from here!!"
I was such splits coz i saw his face and would every time i thought of it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks