Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2010, 20:53   #76
Senior - BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Posts moved. Please use the search function before creating a new thread.
Old 12th November 2010, 07:10   #77
BANNED

buy a gun and shoot the **** out of the cat.. this way make a example for other cats also.
Old 12th November 2010, 11:47   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
I have thrown stone once, and whenever i see it, i will throw a big stone, because it ruined the car. the problem decreased, but the cat is still around the place. I dont know how to send out of my place?
Thats a v inhumane thing to do, pl do not resort to such things as a cat is a very delicate creature and you may end up killing it.
Try something else like water spray to scare it, if it's not too cold.

On the other hand I've a problem with 5-6 dogs who always sleep under my car during the day(I don't use it much). They don't climb over the car, but the problem is stray dogs raise a stink and often mess up the whole place. It's driving me mad. Scaring them away hasn't worked and they come back in 60 secs or less. Any non-lethal inputs would be appreciated

thx.
Old 12th November 2010, 12:14   #79
Team-BHP Support

Start feeding the cat at a different spot.
Within 2-3 days the cat will learn where food is.
Also during those days go out and shoot the cat from the car.

If nothing works, buy a cheap blanket and cover the car bonnet.
As an added bonus, you will be spared of rats which cause huge damage.
Old 18th October 2012, 20:13   #80
BHPian

Re: How to keep this cat off my car?!

Had been through this thread earlier.
Seeing this reminded me of this thread again.

How to keep this cat off my car?!-cat.jpg

Shall I start following the tips mentioned here?
Sorry for the pic quality. This is what my mobile cam and my photoshop skills could best manage at this time of night.
Old 30th October 2012, 20:41   #81
Senior - BHPian

You can splash water on the cat every time you see it on the roof.Cats hate water and it is pretty much harmless to the cat and the car as well.It's what we used to do when we used to find any cats napping on the car's roof or any dogs were found snoozing under the car.
Old 1st November 2012, 21:05   #82
Senior - BHPian

Cats hate the smell of catnip. So pouring catnip around your car wheels should prevent this cat from ever coming close to the car. Or you may use other products which are available in any pet shop which will prevent the cat from wandering around the car.
Simple safe effective and non lethal too.
Old 9th November 2012, 18:11   #83
Senior - BHPian

Actually cats love catnip so Im not sure it would work
Old 30th May 2018, 17:33   #84
BHPian

Kittens in engine bay

Hi

I'm not sure of the correct subforum to post this. Please move it accordingly.

So I was out of town a couple of days and came to know from my parents that some kittens have been hiding under my car. I looked under the car and under the hood but didn't see anything initially. Finally, I heard a little meow and spotted the kitten (it was very difficult to see because of the place it was hiding at). It had climbed into the engine bay from below the car. Tried to chase it out but no amount of coaxing or nudging with a small stick helped.

My mother said she had seen 3 kittens earlier. I could see only one in my car. There is also some smell, which makes me suspect one of the other kittens might have died inside.

Need some advise on how to handle this case. Should I take the car to the workshop to check for a dead kitten or is it something a local mechanic can check? I'm afraid to start the engine due to the kitten hiding inside.
JonSnow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 17:37   #85
BHPian

Re: Kittens in engine bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Need some advise on how to handle this case. Should I take the car to the workshop to check for a dead kitten or is it something a local mechanic can check? I'm afraid to start the engine due to the kitten hiding inside.

Did you talk to the mother of the kittens and ask it to take care of its young ones!

This is probably obvious, but did you try blowing the horn? That might scare the kitties?

There are no open areas of the engine. I don't see any harm in starting the car. That might scare them away too.
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 17:49   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Long time ago, due to a longish period of non-use, our Activa's engine area was made home by a kitten. Unfortunately it was stuck and constantly mewing. Finally resorted to open up the covers and some bits with the help of a local mechanic to free it.

Try to check with a torch from the top as well as below the car. Once you locate the kitten you can take a call on whether to start the car or not.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 17:50   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Did you talk to the mother of the kittens and ask it to take care of its young ones!

This is probably obvious, but did you try blowing the horn? That might scare the kitties?

There are no open areas of the engine. I don't see any harm in starting the car. That might scare them away too.
I did start the engine once and it came out and stood next to the tyre. But when i tried to chase it away, it climbed back in. After that I can't even see where it is and it wouldn't come out if i start the engine or blow the horn . I could try leaving some food out, but we can't be sure when and if it will come out.

Last edited by JonSnow : 30th May 2018 at 17:51.
Old 30th May 2018, 17:52   #88
BHPian

I too don't see any problem in starting the engine. Blow the horn. Start the engine, and move the car a few meters and brake hard. Anything alive and hiding in the car should jump out. If you suspect a dead kitten at a place where you can't access then drive the vehicle to the nearby workshop to clear it out. Check for any wiring damages. Not sure if kittens will cause this, but just to be safe.
Old 30th May 2018, 17:52   #89
BHPian

Try luring it out with a bowl of milk or cat food. Create a trail away from the car preferably out of the parking area
Old 30th May 2018, 17:55   #90
BHPian

Quote:
I did start the engine once and it came out and stood next to the tyre. But when i tried to chase it away, it climbed back in. After that I can't even see where it is and it wouldn't come out if i start the engine or blow the horn . I could try leaving some food out, but we can't be sure when and if it will come out.

Try jacking up the car on one side. You must be having one jack, and take another jack from a friend. Try jacking up one side of the car such that you can slide in and reach the kitties from below...
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks