Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2018, 18:08   #91
BHPian

Re: Kittens in engine bay

Had same problem a little while ago.

Found a solution online. Apparently cats and kittens don't like the smell of chilli powder.

Buy a packet of cheap red chilli powder and sprinkle liberally in your engine bay. Should keep them away.

Cheers.
Old 30th May 2018, 18:22   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

They love to climb on top of the wheels and sit there totally hidden by the fenders / wheel wells. Problem is when you start off unknowingly, they fall directly under the wheels in a second.

I have dispatched one such specimen in my youth :-(
Old 30th May 2018, 23:15   #93
Senior - BHPian

Don't run the engine for long, the radiator fan is very sharp and can cut them. Or they can get jammed between the belts.
Old 31st May 2018, 09:53   #94
BHPian

This might be a very stupid idea as i have no experience of cats, kittens or any animal for that matter. So please pardon and ignore me if this post does not make sense.

Can we get a dog because of which the kitten might get scared and leave the car? Please don't kill me for this idea!!

Be very careful if you plan to start/move the car. Like Thoma mentioned, it can have adverse effect, both for the poor little life and your car.
Old 31st May 2018, 10:03   #95
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
So I was out of town a couple of days and came to know from my parents that some kittens have been hiding under my car.
Some cat/s had made their home under the bonnet of my City Vtec. Couldn't take it anymore when they started parking their food there, including a smelly fish. Very liberal application of chilly powder helped keep them away.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 12:40   #96
BHPian

Re: How to keep this cat off my car?!

I had a similar problem where cat(s) decided to call my balcony their loo.

After some research, came up across a solution.

Mix Citronella (or any citrus oil) in a bit of water and spray the area.

Cats generally hate citrus smell and voila, no more felines.
aqualeo2040 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 19:27   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
So I was out of town a couple of days and came to know from my parents that some kittens have been hiding under my car. I looked under the car and under the hood but didn't see anything initially. Finally, I heard a little meow and spotted the kitten (it was very difficult to see because of the place it was hiding at). It had climbed into the engine bay from below the car. Tried to chase it out but no amount of coaxing or nudging with a small stick helped.

My mother said she had seen 3 kittens earlier. I could see only one in my car. There is also some smell, which makes me suspect one of the other kittens might have died inside.

Need some advise on how to handle this case. Should I take the car to the workshop to check for a dead kitten or is it something a local mechanic can check? I'm afraid to start the engine due to the kitten hiding inside.
Problem resolved itself as the Mom cat came over at night and the kitten came out. I saw no sign of the cat inside the car this morning. To be sure I tried blowing the horn and starting the engine and waited a bit.

The other kitten had indeed died but fortunately for me, not inside the car. The maid's servant had picked it up, i'm guessing it fell to the round sometime.
Old 28th January 2019, 13:11   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Some cat/s had made their home under the bonnet of my City Vtec. Couldn't take it anymore when they started parking their food there, including a smelly fish. Very liberal application of chilly powder helped keep them away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Mix Citronella (or any citrus oil) in a bit of water and spray the area.
I am facing the same problem - cats are turning my Truck's engine bay as their home for the night due to the weather conditions in Hyderabad.

Are there any side effects to the car interiors, especially when the AC is used, if we use these aspects? I have a 2 month old at home and want to be sure before trying anything.
Old 23rd October 2020, 05:43   #99
BHPian

Went down to move the city back to the basement since it might not rain anymore.

I don't generally check or do anything if the sort but somehow noticed cats and looked under the car.

The poor guys were hiding under the car. I tried to make noises and stomped my feet to scare them away but they got scared and the smaller kittens climbed into the engine bay. One of the came out from the top and we pulled out the cute little Chap and put them elsewhere for the kitten to run back under the car and climb back into the engine bay.

I ran the car since the engine was cold and fans wouldn't start to scare the cats away with noise.
But they climbed up to the top and we pulled the kitten out again but it escaped and went back into the engine bay.
Finally moved the car a little so they would jump out.

They jumped out. After a thorough inspection started moving but noticed a slight soft thud every two seconds I was petrified at the thought that I might've killed a cat. .but then I realised the sound was just coming when I was on the brakes.
The disks are rusted since they've been exposed to the rain.

I'm not worried about the car since they don't scratch or damage it. But I'm scared for them. Don't want to kill one by mistake. I don't want to try powders, I find it cruel. How do I scare them of this nilgiri oil. I cannot get a hold of the cats
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 07:01   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
. How do I scare them of this nilgiri oil. I cannot get a hold of the cats
Why scare them? Just give them a better alternative!

Get a big box. Cardboard. Have old pillows or used blankets you want to throw away? Even old clothes will do. Fluff them up and line the box. Put two boxes out if there are more than one or two cats. Be generous with the material inside. Keep a bowl of water and some cat food (whiskas dry food) next to the box.

Problem solved and no chance of rats either
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 11:27   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Why scare them? Just give them a better alternative!

Get a big box. Cardboard. Have old pillows or used blankets you want to throw away? Even old clothes will do. Fluff them up and line the box. Put two boxes out if there are more than one or two cats. Be generous with the material inside. Keep a bowl of water and some cat food (whiskas dry food) next to the box.

Problem solved and no chance of rats either
I live in a gated community with apartments and the cleaners take away any boxes or trash they find. Sadly, the cats don't have a place they can rest in or use as shelter regularly. So they use warm engine bays as homes. I think I'll do this. I'll instruct the cleaners and sweepers not to touch the box. Thank you sir.
viXit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 11:53   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
I live in a gated community with apartments and the cleaners take away any boxes or trash they find. Sadly, the cats don't have a place they can rest in or use as shelter regularly. So they use warm engine bays as homes. I think I'll do this. I'll instruct the cleaners and sweepers not to touch the box. Thank you sir.
Put a poster up with your flat number to contact if anyone feels its not right. That way you are forthright about it.

Secondly the apartment might suggest relocation of cats. For their sake and yours, negate that suggestion. Cats are highly territorial and can die if left somewhere else overnight.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 11:56   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Put a poster up with your flat number to contact if anyone feels its not right. That way you are forthright about it.

Secondly the apartment might suggest relocation of cats. For their sake and yours, negate that suggestion. Cats are highly territorial and can die if left somewhere else overnight.
Yes sir,
Will do. Thank you for the suggestion. It would've hurt me to put chilli powder or anything of that sort on them. Would never want the same for myself.
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 19:45   #104
BHPian

I am not sure if this is the right thread to discuss my cat problem. My neighbours feed cats and hence cats have grown up in large numbers (more than 10). They have put collars as well around neck of cats. These cats roam in my property damaging and littering things and making noise at odd hours and are dangerous to small kids.

Tried contacting bbmp earlier but no help.

What can i do?
Old 25th July 2022, 20:43   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
dangerous to small kids.

Tried contacting bbmp earlier but no help.

What can i do?
Sorry to ask you this - how are cats dangerous to small kids?
Do they roam around your parking lot or your house?
Captain Slow is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks