Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2008, 00:01   #1

How to keep this cat off my car?!

ive recently bought a verna crdi sx and am facing an issue which i have no solution to...
there is this cat that every night without fail finds it necessary to park itself on my bonnet for the night.
when i wake up in the morning i see these paw prints all over my car. this really annoys me as i just dont know how to get rid of this cat.(i cant kill it! :@)
the strange thing is that previously i had a swift and at that time id never face this problem.
has any1 else faced this bizarre problem?
is there anything i can spray my car with so that the cat wont sit on it?
any suggestions are welcome (however bizzare they may be) as i really need a solution
help!
A r j u n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2008, 03:09   #2
BHPian

Get a car cover

On a funny note,
get some mirch powder and spray it on the spot where cat sits usually...when it sits on mirch powder, its skin will start burning
That will probably deter it from sitting on car the next time.
Old 20th September 2008, 03:21   #3
Team-BHP Support

the cat sits on the hood due to the warmth provided by the engine. In colder areas this phenomena is fairly common. Solution is simple, spray hood with pepper spray.
After a few days the cat will learn this hood is a hostile place and go to other vehicles
Old 20th September 2008, 03:29   #4

Thats Simple...Get a Pooch!
Old 20th September 2008, 04:15   #5
BHPian

productive/unproductive methods to keep away from sleeping on the car

@ A r j u n

Productive solution: Get a car cover

Unproductive solution: Pet the cat and take it home, so that he gets to sleep in your bed and that will help you to get rid of the little paw marks that you see on the hood of your car everday..

p.s: Important find = cats prefer Verna's over Swift's
RuffRyder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2008, 06:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Try to use chilly powder or pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffRyder;984568[B
p.s:[/b] Important find = cats prefer Verna's over Swift's

you see more bhp and more torque
Old 20th September 2008, 06:50   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it that you dont clean you car often ?

Luckily it's a cat. No scratch marks - her claws are normally retracted. Had it been a dog, you would have been thinking of re-painting the bonnet.
Old 20th September 2008, 07:16   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by A r j u n View Post
the strange thing is that previously i had a swift and at that time id never face this problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffRyder View Post
p.s: Important find = cats prefer Verna's over Swift's
Swift bonnet is way too sloped down and rounded for any body to sleep there. Cat wants to sleep in cozy warmth, not playing on a slip in the park.
Old 20th September 2008, 09:02   #9
BHPian

Try to catch the cat and apply a good dose of "nilgiri" oil on it - specially on neck etc.
Try NOT to apply on face - cos then its not good for them.
Cat surely would get pissed off.
Then just put a drop of same oil on the hood.
Cat wont ever come to the place where that smell arises.

(I used this method to teach my cats to stay away from kitchen.)
Old 20th September 2008, 09:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Ahhhh... somebody with the same experiences as mine

I have 14-16 cats at home and most of them prefer the car to lounge about 24/7. My old Palio used to be a regular feline hang-out, night and day. They prefer the part where the windshield meets the hood, and the roof. As tsk1979 pointed out, the heat (immediately after I drive back home) is the attraction. So is the raised position (cats like to sit as high as they can).

When I got the Swift, I weaned them off the car in 4 ways:
1) They used to jump onto the car's rood from the wall just beside where the car was parked. Luckily the truss-sheet (over the garage) was in such a position that I could hang a long plastic tarpaulin between the car and the wall, so they couldn't jump onto the car that way.

2) After this, they started jumping onto the hood from the ground. So I started pouring water all over the area around the car, and on the car quite regularly. Cats hate water in general, so they started finding it a less interesting place.

3) I also bought a good car cover. The water used to be poured onto the car cover. Even if they do find their way onto the car,at least they would be sitting on the cover.

4) I gave them easy access to a small platform (roof of a short-storage area) just near the car that was a bit taller than the car and a lot sunnier. A few gunny sacks gave them a nice comfy mattress. They found that the new place gave them a higher POV, so they naturally preferred it.

It took me a couple of weeks, but I got them off the car for good!

Pepper-spray/powder will work, but I would not have been able to do that to my cats. Not even to wild-cats (most wild cats that reach my house end up staying due to the very cat-friendly cuisine, amenities and hospitality - My mom feeds all the cats fish & rice twice a day, and milk whenever requested).

I hope my experience will give you some pointers about getting the cat less interested in your car in as humane a way as possible.

EDIT: @ rudra, the bonnet is indeed very sloping, so they learn to jump onto the bonnet (the part where the windscreen meets the hood) by jumping on from the side, near the tyres. Happened in my case.

@condor, they will bare their claws to get grip if they jump on an slip ever so little! My Palio's hood bears the sad evidence. Cleaning the car doesn't make any difference to them.

Last edited by hydrashok : 20th September 2008 at 09:10.
Old 20th September 2008, 09:19   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Milk-on-Demand ! That's sweet.

Speaking of the claw-marks, I have seen paw-marks on my bonnet, but not claw-marks. The marks do not happen every time the cat gets on to the bonnet. The chances of a cat making such marks is lesser than compared to dogs (who's claws are always out) - but luckily, the chances of a dog getting on to the bonnet are slim.
Old 20th September 2008, 09:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Personal Experience: DO NOT GET A POOCH.

what will happen is that the dog will get a wiff of smell of the cat and will follow that smell everywhere.and will try to get up on the car to get close to the smell.
happened on my sister's black swift.the whole front bumpers,bonnet,side fenders have been scratched by our dog.and we can't even say anything to her as she's loved by all.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 20th September 2008 at 09:20.
Old 20th September 2008, 11:19   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Is it that you dont clean you car often ?

Luckily it's a cat. No scratch marks - her claws are normally retracted. Had it been a dog, you would have been thinking of re-painting the bonnet.
car is cheaned thoroughly everday .

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
Try to catch the cat and apply a good dose of "nilgiri" oil on it - specially on neck etc.
Try NOT to apply on face - cos then its not good for them.
Cat surely would get pissed off.
Then just put a drop of same oil on the hood.
Cat wont ever come to the place where that smell arises.

(I used this method to teach my cats to stay away from kitchen.)
i think il try this out , hopefully it helps. but im not too friendly with cats as im not a cat lover and they just repulse me so the part of rubbing it on the cat will be done by someone else. where will i get this oil? cant just rub any oil on the cat?

@hydra- could u pm me ur shipping address ? il be more than happy to ship this cat off to you .

--------------------------------

i already have 2 dogs but that isnt a solution as they stay in my house in the night and have minumal contact with this cat .
Old 20th September 2008, 11:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Park A Blanket on the hood,Clip the blanket to the sides of the hood,You are happy,cat is happy and hood is happy.
Cheers.
Old 20th September 2008, 11:50   #15
BHPian

Leave a piece of cloth with a dog's pic on it over your hood for few days. Hopefully this should drive the cat away.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks