Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2009, 11:56   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

YetiBlog® - Munich, my father and jail.

It has been a long time since I wrote hasn't it?

While every single day in my life has been a new experience of late, some of it is too private to share.

But just the other day I was recounting an old experience, a street experience in Germany and I realised I'd found my next story. And so here it is, only for those of you that like reading my stories.

Enjoy.
Old 9th March 2009, 12:00   #2
Team-BHP Support

you ended in jail! Now this I gotta see. A Yeti chained and bound!
Old 9th March 2009, 12:00   #3
BHPian

Wow, another thread by the Yeti, Bring it on sam. Let me get a popcorn and coke.
Old 9th March 2009, 12:00   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
only for those of you that like reading my stories.

Enjoy.
i am one of them.but where is the story gurudev?

something wrong in my system ,or this was just a teaser
Old 9th March 2009, 12:04   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Prologue

Europe, 1996.

It was the second time I'd undertaken a journey of rediscovering my father on a human level.

One day we discovered that we were 2 egoistic men in the house who never agreed about anything except the loss of our anchor, support and mediator. My mother.
She had passed away a year earlier and we were both grief-stricken. My father's grief was more visible than mine.

We spent many weeks together in Africa, to relax and get over our loss (yes, I get my holiday trait from my father) and 2 incredible things happened.

One, I realised that this was actually the first time I started speaking to Dad, man to man. Second, we both spoke in Hindi to each other (earlier for some reason we only spoke English to each other) , so that the others may not understand. This habit stuck.

We enjoyed Africa so much in '95 that we decided to spend many weeks across Europe together in '96. It was a first for us both.
Our journey by bus and train and boat took us to Italy (my Father's family is from Eritrea, an italian colony and my family speaks Italian), Switzerland, Holland, France and of course Germany, where an incident occurred.

This story is about this incident.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 9th March 2009 at 12:06.
Old 9th March 2009, 12:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(my Father's family is from Eritrea, an italian colony and my family speaks Italian),
Man,
How many languages you can speak?
I had asked this question in another blog but never got answer.
Now, i have to find it myself searching your all blogs.

Waiting for next post.
Hope, it is, as usual, will be.......... fast.
Old 9th March 2009, 12:14   #7
BHPian

Now I am hooked to this one. Keep it flowing.

Love to hear it out. Pressing F5 n number of times now. Sorry about it

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th March 2009 at 23:41. Reason: abt = about. Avoid SMS language please.
Old 9th March 2009, 12:15   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Switzerland, Sunday, 1996

We had spent a lovely week at Engelbert, visiting the mountains and lakes.
We were ready to go to Germany in our anti-clockwise journey.

But why this stupid Munich?
What is so stupid about Munich?
I want to go to Berlin.
So do I, let's go after 2 or 3 days in Munich.
You just want to run after girls...
They're my friends!!
It's nothing like that!

The year earlier, Dad and I had met with 2 wonderful German girls in upper Tanzania during our African trip. Pia and Martina. I don't remember Pia's last name but it was Martina Duckensell from Munich (München) - if you ever read this by searching on google, email me - my first name (hint - it begins with a s and ends with an m)@team-BHP.com.

It was much before emails. We would write to each other often. We'd even send packages and presents. (I used to send packs of Sambhaji beedi to Munich, lol) and I wanted to meet them both. Munich was on my way to Berlin anyway! They were wonderful people and it just felt very exciting to have people you knew in a strange country.

I want to see Munich alright? I want to meet my friends too. Now can we go there or not?
Hmmm. Ok Munich has some nice art galleries and museums.

That's all he did in every city. Look for art galleries. A city with no art was no city at all.

And so that's how it was that early Monday morning we found ourselves in Munich, capital of Bavaria, the land of beer, BMW and some art, lol.

Not wanting to waste a minute, we dumped our bags in a cheap hotel and as was our habit, I memorized the name and address of our hotel. Dad was unable to cope with the German names in Switzerland and Germany He couldn't be bothered anyways.

Dad left for his art galleries and I spent the day by myself.

And now my story begins.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 9th March 2009 at 12:20.
Old 9th March 2009, 12:35   #9
BHPian

More more more! we want more!!! :P
Old 9th March 2009, 12:43   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Man,
How many languages you can speak?
I had asked this question in another blog but never got answer.
Now, i have to find it myself searching your all blogs.
I'll save you the trouble.
I speak only English pretty well. My Hindi is good, but suspect in grammar. I know the clear difference between Urdu and Hindi and speak Urdu with a light and clear tongue managing difficult pronunciations as well.
I am able to understand and speak Gujarati, but my grammar is worse than Hindi. However I do understand even theth Kathiawadi and Surti easily. I can manage a decent conversation in it

I struggle with Marwari, though my mother spoke it. I am able to understand Sindhi 100% as I have heard it my whole childhood (my mother's family spoke Sindhi) but have no courage to speak it.

Marathi, because I am from Maharashtra and studied it in school. While I am able to understand almost 100%, I speak it very badly.

Amongst European languages I speak French, but not fluently. I joke with my French friends in their language. My Italian is better than my French as my Father's family speaks it and I did a 3 years course in Italian grammar. I used this to impress a lot of girls when I was younger.

I already know the question that comes next: What about German? My German gets better everyday, thanks to my wife. When we speak in India and need some privacy, we shift to German. Most of the time it is simple German, as it is spoken by a child.
I enjoy languages and pick them up easily. I am constantly asking Jenny - What is the German word for... as she answers every single time patiently as best she can. I pick up languages easily, but I am no linguist at all.
Call me a pseudo-polyglot

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 9th March 2009 at 12:51.
Old 9th March 2009, 12:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

1]English
2]Hindi
3]Urdu
4]Gujarati
5]Kathiawadi
6]Surti
7]Marwari
8]Sindhi
9]Marathi
10]French
11]Italian
12]German

My my,
You can either speak, write or understand those 12 languages.
You are among those who can speak more than 10 languages.
its amazing.

edit: surati and kathiyawadi may be dialects of gujrati, it does not meant that it is easy to understand. its like konkani and malwani are dialects of marathi but still i can not speak or understand konkani and malwani.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 9th March 2009 at 13:07.
Old 9th March 2009, 12:59   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
My my,
You can either speak, write or understand those 12 languages.
You are among those who can speak more than 10 languages e.g. P V Narsimharao, Shrikant Jichkar.
Its amazing.
Kathiawadi and Surti are not languages, they are dialects of Gujarati.

And many of the above languages I cannot speak properly. That is an unfair comparison. Please do not compare me to some great people, it is insulting to their honour. I am not a linguist at all, more like a jack-of-all, master-of-none.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 9th March 2009 at 13:03.
Old 9th March 2009, 13:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
What about German? My German gets better everyday, thanks to my wife.
Sorry for being intrusive, I know you choose your words carefully, so is this your way of telling us that you have got married.

Because earlier you used to insist that Jenny is your Girl Friend.
Old 9th March 2009, 13:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
My German gets better everyday, thanks to my wife.
When did this happen? I was under the impression from the 'Dilwale...' thread that you were engaged and that the marriage was supposed to happen in Germany sometimes later.

Anyways, CONGRATULATIONS for the same. I may sound demanding but when can we expect a blog about the marriage itself (with pics of course)?

It's been a long time since your last blog. This was way overdue!

Ya - we know that you do have actual work too but then we just love your blogs so much !
Old 9th March 2009, 13:09   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
When did this happen? I was under the impression from the 'Dilwale...' thread that you were engaged and that the marriage was supposed to happen in Germany sometimes later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
Sorry for being intrusive, I know you choose your words carefully, so is this your way of telling us that you have got married.

Because earlier you used to insist that Jenny is your Girl Friend.
I am grinning. Because I know that you guys read every word carefully and had a feeling you would not miss that one.

I am not married to Jenny. However Jenny is no longer my girlfriend, but my Fiancée. But since January, we have moved in together and have set up a new house where we live as a couple in Mumbai.

To tell you the truth, it feels just like a marriage should and so I often say that word as it's a lot easier to say and write than Fiancée. But I realise I should be more careful, lol.

When we are to be married, I will announce it on Team-BHP with great pleasure.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 9th March 2009 at 13:11.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks