Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2009, 11:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post

Though there are few who have the privilege to drive my car
I'm one of those priviledged, Have driven his CITY but decently :-)
Old 27th August 2009, 11:45   #17
BHPian

I have never owned a two wheeler, but since my first car I had made it a point not lend to all those who ask.

I made a mistake once, I was at college, think it was the last day and a friend who is usually not a crazy dude ask's me to just check out the car and I let him have the keys and he sits down and puts the stereo on and I told him to start the egine as it might drain out the battery. A few seconds later as I turned to light one, I see him take off and do a spint out and other stunts in the parking lot and all the freaking people start scrambling for cover as the dust is kicked up. If it werent for my real close buddies I would have had as my personal punching bag!

That was the last time I gave a key to anyone, if anyone wants to get from A to B in a hurry I agree to give them the money for the taxi/auto but not my car!

I have seen too many guys who abuse others ride and you know what most of the guys who try burnout and drifts with others cars dont even have the slightest idea on how to do it. I believe only a seriously selfish person can do something like that, I know I wouldnt do something even slightly comparable to this!

Last edited by dr_know : 27th August 2009 at 11:52.
Old 27th August 2009, 11:54   #18
BHPian

IMHO, only a very few persons will purposefully damage or abuse some one else's property, let it be car or anything. Many a times the damage is unintentional and caused by a different style of usage. But, there are a few who will cause intentional damage out of jealousy. Jealousy will make one commit foolish and dangerous acts. Making scratches on some one's car is a typical example. Even children can show signs of extreme jealousy. Such individuals need psychological counselling.

Between friends, the best possible way to avoid unpleasant scenes is not to ask for the other person's things and gadgets even if it is for a brief period. If it is an emergency, use it in owner's presence.

When your friend asks for your car or bike, try to drive him/her to the destination. I have done it quite a few times. It is much better than a 'NO' which will be unpleasnt to any one.

Last edited by KITE RUNNER : 27th August 2009 at 11:59.
Old 27th August 2009, 11:55   #19
DKG
Senior - BHPian

What are the chances a person would drive your car any different (meaning in a manner that is better ) than his own or look after your car any better than he does his own? I'd say very slim.

People who don't own a car or bike, you are taking a big chance lending them your car/bike

People who own a car/bike and maintain it pathetically or drive it harshly are better off being refused when they approach you for a ride

That leaves us with the group of people who not only look after their vehicles but drive them well caring for their machines. Chances are these people will never ask you in the first place for a ride !!
Old 27th August 2009, 12:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I'm one of those priviledged, Have driven his CITY but decently :-)

hehe yea , i must say Sush is a careful driver and i dint feel bad after he drove the car.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

Before I let anyone drive my car, I see how they treat theirs. As long as they treat/drive their cars with respect, they are free to drive mine
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2009, 12:03   #22
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
What are the chances a person would drive your car any different (meaning in a manner that is better ) than his own or look after your car any better than he does his own? I'd say very slim.

People who don't own a car or bike, you are taking a big chance lending them your car/bike

People who own a car/bike and maintain it pathetically or drive it harshly are better off being refused when they approach you for a ride

That leaves us with the group of people who not only look after their vehicles but drive them well caring for their machines. Chances are these people will never ask you in the first place for a ride !!
Beautifully summed up!

I don't mind sharing my rides with the last group of people provided they share theirs
Old 27th August 2009, 12:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

In the year 2001 I bought my first bike on my own. Earlier I had bike that was family bike. It was Hero Honda Passion. I had to share to my bike to friends and family to whom I cannot refuse (Bad habit in me). I was (even now) very possessive of my possession. I never put any single scratches in my bike.

But:
Story 1: One of my distant relative wanted bike to drop his kids to school, however I was little apprehensive but given. When he returned my bike in the evening, I did not check anything just took key and said Ok. Next day morning when I wanted to go somewhere I saw some good amount of scratch mark on Petrol Tank. Till now I promised my bike to keep it scratch less. I immediately called him and gave "piece of mind" as I was disturbed. Reason what he explained his younger kid with shoes (filled with dust) was standing on petrol tank.

Story 2: For 3 - 4 months in Bangalore I was staying with one of my friend. I had to go out of Bangalore for a week. My friend asked my bike until I was not present. I gave him. When I returned back I saw broken front mudguard, slightly bent fork, broken headlamp assembly, broken front brake lever. My heart skipped a bit. Reason he was given, he hit some biker in colony itself and fell down. He offered me replacements but I refused. I told him clearly I do not want money but in future please do not ask for bike anymore.

Last edited by anujmishra : 27th August 2009 at 12:18.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Before I let anyone drive my car, I see how they treat theirs. As long as they treat/drive their cars with respect, they are free to drive mine
Ahh! That reminds me of the famous dialog from the Transporter1

"I always say, how a man keeps his car is how he keeps himself."
Old 27th August 2009, 12:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

Here is my story: I had a esteem in Delhi, thought to modify it, put some skirts and new wheels, my friend asks me for the keys as he had to pick some relativs from airport. He tells me he will be back by 6:30 PM. He is not there till 10 PM, when i call he says 10 minues 15 minutes and finally reaches after 10:30 PM, Har had a big dent on the front driver door(like he opened the door on a pole), the windscreen has a dent on the LHS (like a bike guy hit it with his helmet) and thirdly the left side fendor and the bumber was gone. Total cost 15K at a local garage of his choice. Claimed the insurance he paid 2 k, got a claim of 6k.
Some times it takes more than one lesson in life to learn things.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...d-my-life.html

Now i drive my Lancer all by myself, no test drives no lending the car to anyone, No one in this world will drive your car like they will drive their own cars, so better dont take chances with any one, just my 2 cents.

Pramod
Old 27th August 2009, 12:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

GOing through all these experiences has made me even stricter. i guess now on the ratio of the preivileged once will be very very less now on...

The once who love to rip, they belong to to the selfish lot who have the intention of making the most of the chance they have.

And as Pranav mentioned it will be at your cost
Old 27th August 2009, 12:32   #27
BHPian

I give my bike or car only people whom I trust totally. Be it a friend or a relative. Not too often but this has happened, especially when I had to be out of Pune for a couple of months that someone else was driving my car a few times to keep it in good shape.
Of course I do not own very fancy rides that people may want all the time either :-)
Old 27th August 2009, 12:39   #28
BHPian

I don't mind lending my bike or my car to any of my friends. Ultimately it is upto us to know what we value the most, an object or a relationship. I feel objects shouldn't come inbetween relationships, yep, I agree many don't consider their cars and bikes as objects, but the truth is - they are.
Saying this, when you see someone ripping-off your vehicle, you can always get your thingy back.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 27th August 2009 at 12:42.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

I have been guilty of banging my boss's car once. Had taken it to drop my friends to their hotel, while reversing the hotel watchman misguided me and the car hit a small pole (too small to be visible while reversing). Damage : VXi of the wagonR folded so that V was over i, rear brake light came out and bumper lost its shape (all this at a speed of not above 5-6 kmph) . I was really really upset, got te car repaired and apologised a million times to him (he was more of a friend than a boss). He forgave me because I have always been known to be the safest driver in my circle and understood that this could have been a mistake.
But thats the last time I ever borrowed anyone's car, bike, cycle whatever.
If i need a ride, i will sit as a passenger or take a taxi if I dont have a car but never ever will I borrow one. The guilt of even scratching someone elses car is too huge to bear.

I have seen my cycle and bike, both damaged when i lent them to friends.

Last edited by sammyboy : 27th August 2009 at 13:02.
Old 27th August 2009, 14:06   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
+1.
Exactly my approach as well. I dont mind lending to friends be it anything but then it needs to be treated the same careful way i treat it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks